Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Chronology - Week 3 - January

leenorman

January 16

Karl Freund, infamous mentor, pivotal in the career(s) of Lucile Ball and Desi Arnaz; cinematographer, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) film, Rose of Washington Square, 1939; Lucille films, DuBarry Was a Lady, 1943, Without Love, 1945, Two Smart People, 1946; it was, perhaps, inevitable that technical and innovation-minded Freund would get to work for brand new visual medium - television. Lucille, whom he had photographed when she was a contract player at MGM, hired him as the director of photography at Desilu Productions, owned by Ball and her husband, Desi. Freund decided to shoot (“I Love Lucyâ€) with three, 35mm Mitchell BNC cameras, one of each to, simultaneously, shoot long shots, medium shots, and close-ups, giving the editor, Dann Cahn, adequate coverage to create the 22 minutes of footage needed for a half-hour commercial network show. Freund worked out the lighting during the rehearsal period, and provided them with quality films of each show that could be easily syndicated into perpetuity, whereas the live shows filmed secondarily off of flickering TV monitors as kinescopes could not; (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1951-56; Desilu Productions', Our Miss Brooks, 126 episodes, 1952-56; Willy, 16 episodes, 1954-55, as well as December Bride, 2 episodes, 1955; is born this date in 1890.

Peter Brocco, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, Columbia’s, Miss Grant Takes Richmond, 1949; supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1956, 1957; star, Desilu Productions’, Sheriff of Cochise, 1957, The Untouchables, 1961, Star Trek, 1967, and Mission: Impossible, 2 episodes, 1970; is born this date in 1903.

Ethel Merman, Lucille Ball’s life-long friend, (Ethel Mertz named after her); co-star, United Artists’ film, Kid Millions, 1934; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), Strike Me Pink, 1936; appears with Lucille CBS’ Dinner With The President, 1953; guest star, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, 2 episodes, 1955;; appears with Lucille and Desi Arnaz, Toast of the Town, 1956; with Lucille, NBC’s Lucy Goes to Broadway, 1961 (unproduced, reuniting Vivian, Bill (the Mertzes), Lucille, Desi, as well as Lucie and Desi Arnaz IV – a first); Lucille's guest co-star, reunited again with Vivian, The Lucy Show, 2 episodes, 1964; star, Desilu Productions', Maggie Brown, an unsold sitcom, 1963; as well as several career intersections with Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz), who was Ethel’s understudy, 1934; is born this date in 1908.

Elliot Reid, veteran supporting cast member (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1955; The Lucy Show, 1963, 1965, as well as (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1970, is born this date in 1920.

Katy Jurado; guest, Desilu Productions’, Here’s Hollywood, 1961, and co-star with Desi Arnaz, The Virginian, 1970, is born this date in 1924.

Lucille Ball appears as a regular cast member Sunday nights on CBS Radio’s, The Phil Baker Show, this date in 1938.

Hollywood Citizen News, “RKO-Radio today sent word to Lucille Ball that she will have to cut short her NY vacation and get back here to do the female lead in The Romantic Mr. Hinkle,†published this date in 1940.

Carole Lombard, long-time friend of Lucille Ball; appears with Lucille, archivally, Entertaining the Troops, 1994; as well as with Lucille, via archival footages, GAB Entertainment's, You Know The Face, 2009, dies in tragic airplane accident, on this date in 1942.

NY Times, Jack Gould’s TV Column: “CBS & Philip Morris receive letters from viewers taking exception to pregnancy the main point of interest for a comedy series. As handled on the screen, there seem no grounds for objection; but, applause. Ball and Arnaz handled topic of approaching baby with taste and skill and amusing in the process - far from ridiculing motherhood, (‘I Love Lucy’) made it appear the most natural thing in the worldâ€, this date in 1953.

NY Times, “Near Birth of (?) Arnaz Is Engendering Interest of Fans of (‘I Love Lucy’)â€, published this date in 1953.

“(“I Love Lucyâ€) Bon Voyageâ€, first of two episodes involving the passage to Europe, one of the most expensive technical situations and episodes in five years of filming - in addition to requiring a “second filming crew,†- was lowering Lucy from a helicopter onto the ship Constitution which had sailed without her, and so authentic were the segments that a British company, after viewing, cabled Desilu asking when the Constitution was arriving in Southhampton; and the Federal Maritime Board officials secured copies of the shows to help promote the Merchant Marine; guest co-starring Jack Albertson, as the helicopter dispatcher, and veteran Lucy supporting cast members, Bennett Green, (Desi Arnaz’ stand-in), Jack Albertson, Kathryn Card, Ken Christy, Frank Gerstle, Tyler McVey, and Elizabeth Patterson, airs this date in 1956.

Post Journal - Jamestown, NY: “Shadow of Things to Come – Jamestown’s Lucille Ball is about to be transferred from a helicopter to the deck of the SS Constitution in one of the scenes from tonight’s (“I Love Lucyâ€) TV Show. The wide-eyed comedienne and husband are scheduled to arrive in Jamestown at noon, Monday, Feb. 6, via the same helicopter ‘method’ for a two-day homecoming program climaxed Tuesday night, Feb. 7, with the world premiere of ‘Forever Darling’,†published this date in 1956.

Post Journal - Jamestown, NY: Gwen Johnson: “Ballroom Fall Zoomed Lucille to Stardom - Lucille Ball Reveals Talent Early – ‘Forever Darling’ Lucille Ball demonstrated early . . . home talent musical show (benefit WCA Hospital) here ‘Grand Mid-Winter Circus 28 years ago, that quick perception of a real comedienne . . . zoomed to stardom, when she fell down on a slippery floor during a three-point dance routine . . . State Armory . . dancing that old favorite ‘Varsity Drag’ from ‘Good News’, Broadway hit in the 20’s. . . suddenly bit the dust . . . non-fazed, the orchestra kept on, as did her partners – quick pirouette . . . lept into comedy entrechais not missing beat; caught up with the routine. The audience, thinking ‘spill’ was part of the show, loved it. ‘That’s our Lucille!’ She may never have achieved the luminous zenith in the satire realm of comedy if she hadn’t tripped dancing for the WCA Hospital in 1928,†published this date in 1956.

Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz) marries John Dodds, Literary Agent, this date in 1961.

Desilu Productions', Fractured Flickers, with veteran Lucy supporting cast member, Hans Conried, Host, (who explains what a 'fractured flicker' is; introduces several wacky segments and interviews guests) co-starring this segment, Ursula Andress, which airs on this date in 1964.

Lucille Ball appears on Chicago Tribune TV Week cover this week in 1965.

Post Journal - Jamestown, NY: Round About Town: - Noted by Rambling Reporters of The Post-Journal as They Make Their Rounds in This Area – Bigelow’s Loves Lucy – “That was a nice nationwide plug for Bigelow’s Dept. Store on the Lucille Ball half-hour comedy show last Monday night over WBEN-TV (Ch. 4) Buffalo . . . story called for Jamestown native to get involved with mechanical man . . . display window of a big department store . . . naturally Lucille, who has never forgotten her hometown, decreed that it be called Bigelow’s . . . not the first time she’s had changes made . . . script so home town references can be made – Jamestown High School has been mentioned and the names of many old friends have worked into the dialogue at various times,†published this date in 1965.

Vincent Padula, supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 2 episodes, 1956, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, 1957; as well as Glynis, 1963, dies this date in 1967.

The Lucy Show “Lucy, the Babysitter†- Milt Josefsberg, Ray Singer, writers - long-time friend, Mary Wickes, veteran supporting cast member, injured by an elephant, and Elvia Allman, veteran supporting cast member’s final appearance - [candy factory supervisor from (“I Love Lucyâ€) Job Switching], as well as Sid Gould, and Jonathan Hole - Lucy taking another job and ends up babysitting chimps, airing this date in 1967.

Desi Arnaz IV stars, as Cal Markwell, in CBS’ TV Bing Crosby Production's, The Voyage Of The Yes, co-starring Beverly Garland, Skip Homeir, Della Reese and Dick Powell, Jr., airing this date in 1973.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy, the Sheriffâ€, Lucille Ball-directed, using her grandmother's name, Flora Belle Orcutt, as the Sheriff; written by Fred Fox and Seaman Jacobs; guest co-starring Ross Elliott, Florence Halop, as the old woman, and Mary Wickes, among others, airs this date in 1974.

Lucille Ball appears in the All-Star Super Password Special, this date in 1987.

Virginia O’Brien, Lucille Ball early-career co-star, 1943, 1944, and 1946; dies this date in 2001.

The Jamestown (NY) Post-Journal - Patrick L. Fanelli: “Celoron Completes Memorial Desi Arnaz’ Bandshell†– “Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz IV made a sizeable personal donation, along with several local donations and a State Grant, in recent years, and the Village of Celoron has built a bandshell in Desi Arnaz’ honor, which is in place in the former Celoron Park, a favorite ‘haunt’ of Lucille Ball and in which she spent many hours as a child raised in Celoron. The promised completion of this project was expressed to Desi and Lucille’s children in 2001,†article and photo published this date in 2007.

The Sunday Post-Journal - Jamestown, NY – Business - Sweet Babalu – Jamestown Cafe Holds Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony - by Dennis Phillips – “The Cuban song Babalu, Desi Arnaz' signature song on (“I Love Lucyâ€) is now downtown Jamestown's newest cafe. The Babalu Cafe 14 E. Second Street, next door to The Lucille Ball Little Theater (Ed. - formerly Shea's Theater, as well as 'other' earlier names), held a ribbon-cutting ceremony Wednesday to celebrate the opening of the coffee house/restaurant,†published this date in 2011.

January 17

Irving Brecher, Comedy Scriptwriter, Lucille Ball early film-career, DuBarry Was A Lady, and Best Foot Forward, 1943, as well as Lucille and William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), Ziegfeld Follies, 1946, is born this date in 1914.

Betty White, actress/co-star of The Golden Girls/wife of Allen Ludden, of Password fame, one of Lucille Ball’s favorite games; Lucille's friend; Desilu Productions', You Don't Say, 1963; co-star Lucille, as ringmaster, Circus of the Stars #2, 1977; Happy 100th Birthday, Hollywood, 1987; with Lucille, via archival footage, The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, 1992; host, with Lucille and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), via archival footage, Funny Women of Television, 1991; 50 Years of Funny Females, 1995, Lucille honored through archival footage; appears with Lucie Arnaz; CBS at 75, 2003, appears - archival footage of Lucille and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), TV’s Greatest Sidekicks, 2004; appears with Lucie and Desi Arnaz, IV, The 5th Annual TV Land Awards, the first ‘Legacy of Laughter’ Award, presented by Carol Burnett, Lucille, archival footage; guest appears on PBS', Pioneers of Television Documentary – archival footage of (“I Love Lucyâ€) and Lucille and Desi - 2008, is born this date in 1922.

Sheree North, guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, 1954; The Untouchables, 1963; The Greatest Show on Earth, 1964; as well as Mannix, 1968, is born this date in 1932.

Lucille Ball appears, as Lillian Temple, a cynical actress in RKO Radio Pictures, Chatterbox, co-starring Anne Shirley and Phillips Holmes, is released ths date in 1936.

Jerry Fogel, guest star, Desilu Productions’ The Mothers-in-Law, as Jerry Buell, 56 episodes, 1967-1969; co-stars with Desi Arnaz, 4 episodes, “A Night to Forget†1967, “The Hombre Who Came to Dinner: Parts 1 and 2†also co-starring Desi Arnaz IV, and “The Matador Makes a Movie†also co-starring Desi Arnaz IV, 1968, as well as Lucille Ball's guest star, (“Here’s Lucyâ€), co-starring Lucie Arnaz, 1973, is born this date in 1936.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), appears in Universal Pictures' Six Lessons from Madame LaZonga, as Beheegan, co-starring Eddie Acuff, Shemp Howard, Eddie Quillan, Jimmy Wakely, among many others, released on this date in 1941.

Post Journal - Jamestown, NY: Lucille Ball Coming Here for Grandfather’s Rites: - “Funeral services for Fred Hunt, former local resident . . . died at home, January 9, in Beverly Hills, born, Jamestown, 1865, a chiropractor in California – Lucille and mother, DeDe, bury beloved grandfather, ‘Daddy’ in family plot. During her Jametown visit, Lucille stands in front of her Celoron early childhood home, and learned her beloved early teacher, Mrs. Appleby, had moved away; also visits friends in Jamestown,†published this date in 1944.

Motion Picture Center (MPC), a puzzle whose final piece came together when it was announced: . . . “the Arnazes, as individuals, assumed voting control of MPC for an undisclosed amount (actually $750,000), with Joe Justman continuing as President, and board members: the Arnazes; Martin Leeds; the Lutheran Aid Society, which ‘has renewed its mortgage on the property under a refinancing set-up’ - Desilu continues to rent space for its film properties,†this date in 1955.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra, perform (“I Love Lucyâ€), “First Stop,†funny happenings on the drive to California, the crew's first venture outside the studio for filming location footage; with guest cast member, Olin Howlin, as George Skinner, airing this date in 1955.

Post Journal - Jamestown, NY: “Announcement of Voting for the Queen, by popular vote, with announcement of prize list, and Homecoming Queen crowning at the Gala Dance for Lucy & Desi visit February 6 - State Armory,†published this date in 1956.

Post Journal - Jamestown, NY: “Send Photo to Post-Journal by Saturday – Girls – Here’s Chance to Become Queen for Lucille Ball Event – Thrilling Role Waits Lucky Local Girl –Homecoming Queen Wins Wardrobe Fit for Rank,†published this date in 1956.

Desilu Productions' Cavalcade of America, “The Prison Withinâ€, co-starring, among others, Joi Lansing and Don Rickles, and Gloria Talbot, Don W. Sharpe, many-year associate of Desilu, Executive Producer, second of seven episodes produced by Desilu, airs this date in 1956.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, having purchased RKO Studios in late 1957, return to find a forelorn warehouse; on which Studio memories of January 1935 ‘Roberta’ set remain for Lucille; they put up a “Desilu Studios†in huge black letters on the silver water tower still standing, and go to work refurbishing, ultimately forming the Desilu Playhouse, in 1958.

Love, Lucy, by Lucille Ball – “We signed the final escrow papers purchasing RKO. As I signed away 6 million-plus dollars, my hand shook; but, realized money becomes an exchange of legal documents. I never saw much real cash, and I never really felt rich, eitherâ€, told this date in 1958.

Variety announces: “ . . . Desilu and CBS are in negotiations for a new Lucy series for the 1962-63 season, the deal contingent on the delivery of an okay pilot, and the same Monday night berth given (“I Love Lucyâ€) in the past, this date in 1962.

The Lucy Show “Lucy Bags a Bargainâ€, but has to get a job to pay for it, with Lucy veterans, Elvia Allman, Sid Gould, Bennett Green, Jonathan Hole, Barbara Morrison, and Amzie Strickland, among others, airing this date in 1966.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy’s Replacementâ€, written by Fred S. Fox and Seaman Jacobs, recurring theme of Lucy attempting to get fired and/or re-hired, has Lucy getting a job in a steno pool, after being replaced by a computer, co-starring Phil Vandervort and R. G. Brown, airing this date in 1972.

Desi Arnaz, IV, appears on stage, Miami's Coconut Grove Playhouse in I Love My Wife, on this date in 1986.

All That – an episode with a sketch called I Luv Lucy, with Amanda Bynes, as Lucy; Victor Cohn Lopez, as Ricky; Kenan Thompson, as Fred; and Lori Beth Denberg, as Ethel, premieres on this date in 1998.

Richard Crenna, guest co-star, (“I Love Lucyâ€) 1952; guest, Desilu Productions’ Our Miss Brooks, 1952-55; again in 1956; star, Desilu Studios-filmed The Real McCoys, (159 episodes, 1957-1963), guest, Desilu Studios-filmed The Andy Griffith Show 8 episodes, 1963-64; guest, Desilu Productions' Vacation Playhouse 1965; directs Desilu Productions' Vacation Playhouse, 1965; appears with Desi Arnaz, IV, Red Sky at Morning 1971; appears with Lucille, CBS: On the Air 1978; (“I Love Lucyâ€) 50th Anniversary Special 2001, and, archivally, The Desilu Story 2003, dies this date in 2003.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY: – Information Center – In Years Past – 50 Years Ago: “Girls between 17 and 25, single, are asked to enter Homecoming Queen Contest, sponsored by the Retail Merchants Association of the Jamestown Area Chamber of Commerce. From those entries, five will be selected by a panel of judges representing that Association, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios and The Post-Journal, and announced in its January 25 issue, after which public balloting will start. The ‘chosen’ girl will reign in regal splendor – with a complete wardrobe befitting all her Queenly duties – as the City’s official hostess during the two-day visit of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz next month,†published this date in 2006.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY: by Joni Blackman, Director, Fenton History Center: “Area Attractions To Open Their Doors†– “The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center, in conjunction with other Jamestown organizations and The Jamestown Area Chamber of Commerce, are hosting a ‘free admissions’ day Saturday, to encourage local residents to take advantage of area attractions, published this date in 2007.

The Latest from Everything Lucy website – “Museum Opens Doors For Free Weekend†– “The third annual ‘Doors Open Jamestown’, a free day at local museums and attractions, happens Saturday, January 19th. The Jamestown Area Chamber of Commerce is hosting the event, along with the Fenton History Center, Jamestown Audubon Society and Nature Center, Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center, Robert H. Jackson Center, Roger Tory Peterson Institute, Reg Lenna Civic Center and Chautauqua Sportsâ€, posted this date in 2008.

The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY: – 1500 Misc. Help Wanted Classified Section – “First Day – Executive Director – The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center, Inc., of Jamestown NY, has an immediate opening for an Executive Director to lead this Center in its mission to preserve and celebrate the legacy of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz and enrich the world through the healing powers of love and laughterâ€, published this date in 2009.

Desi Arnaz IV stars at the Sundance Film Festival, Dimension Films', Hell Ride, performing “She's So Far Out, She's Inâ€, and co-starring, David Carradine, Dennis Hopper, and Michael Madsen, among others, released this date in 2009.

January 18

Oliver Hardy, Lucille Ball friend and mentor, appears, archivally, with Lucille, Hollywood Without Make-Up, 1963, The Big Parade of Comedy, 1964; himself, archivally, honored in a tribute A Salute to Stan Laurel, hosted by Dick Van Dyke, November 23, 1965, with Lucille and a cast of many; as well as Legends of Comedy, 1992, and That's Entertainment! III, 1994, is born this date in 1892.

Fehmer (Chick) Chandler, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, United Artists’, Blood Money, 1933; William Frawley (Fred Mertz), co-star, The Bride Came C.O.D., 1941; supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1955, guest, Desilu Productions’, Cavalcade of America, 1956, December Bride, 1957, The Ann Sothern Show, 1960, Glynis, 1963, as well as present with Lucille, for a memorial tribute to himself, at The 61st Annual Academy Awards, 1989, is born this date in 1905.

Danny Kaye, appearing with Vivian Vance, (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz), in a 1941 film, Let’s Face It; Lucille Ball friend, appears, The Danny Kaye Show with Lucille Ball, 1962; guest, Desilu Productions’, Here’s Hollywood, 2 episodes, 1962; Lucille's guest co-star, The Lucy Show, 1964; CBS Salutes Lucy: The First 25 Years, 1976, as well as appears with Lucille, archivally, Entertaining the Troops, 1994, is born this date in 1913.

Walter Janowitz, guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, My Favorite Martian, 1964, Hogan's Heroes, 7 episodes, 1965-67; as well as Lucille Ball guest, (“Here's Lucyâ€), 1969; is born this date in 1913.

Lucille Ball and mother, DeDe, with Public Relations representative of MGM, return to Jamestown, NY for funeral service and burial in the family plot of her beloved ‘Daddy’ grandfather, DeDe’s father, Fred, who died in LA January 9th, age 78, this day in 1944.

Jerome “Curly†Howard, one of (The Three Stooges), Lucille Ball early-film career co-star, 1934, dies this date in 1952.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra record the background music for (“I Love Lucyâ€), Episode #20, an episode featuring Richard Crenna, as Arthur Morton, who falls in love with Lucy, filmed this date in 1952.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Ricky Minds The Baby†is filmed without a live audience, feared the abundant use of the Mayer twins, Joseph and Michael, as (Little Ricky) might cause delays and many retakes – later shown to an audience and laughs recorded for the broadcast, which revolves around Ricky’s vacation from the Club, airing this date in 1954.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appear on NY News Coloroto Magazine cover, published this date in 1959.

The Lucy Show “Lucy Goes to Vegas†- Bob O’Brien, writer - in which Viv (Vivian Vance/Lucy's Ethel Mertz) has won a trip for two to Vegas and takes Lucy; but, they have no money to gamble with and concoct a scheme as is their usual technique, with Lucy veteran supporting cast members, Sid Gould, Bennett Green, Lou Nicoletti, and Carole Cook, airing this date in 1965.

Love, Lucy, by Lucille Ball: “We were lucky all the way. The first four shows put us among the top 10 on television. Our 20th episode, “The Young Fans,†with Richard Crenna, made us number one on the air and there we stayed for three wild, incredible years,†that episode filmed this date in 1952, dictated to Betty Hoffman in 20+ hours of recorded interview(s) over a period of two years (ultimately published in 1996), discovered in Lucille Ball’s attorney, Ed. Perlstein’s files, postmarked 1966.

Lucille Ball, in NY for meetings with CBS executives, takes a “bow†from the audience of CBS’ The Ed Sullivan Show, this date in 1970.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy and the Raffleâ€, directed by Ross Martin; written by Ray Singer - Kim wins a sports car, and she and Lucy hold a raffle to pay the taxes, a script not unlike (“I Love Lucyâ€) “Ricky’s European Booking,†with veteran guest co-stars from The Lucy Show, Vanda Barra, John 'Red' Fox, Sid Gould, Paul Picerni, Hayden Rorke, airing this date in 1971.

Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz) appears in ABC’s made-for-television movie, Getting Away From It All, as May Brodey, co-starring, Jim Backus, Larry Hagman, Allen Jenkins, Burgess Meredith, J. Pat O'Malley, among many others, airing this date in 1972.

Lucille Ball to the American Film Institute: “I overheard, at a Hollywood party, unaware I was standing nearby, ‘People like Jack Benny and Lucille Ball should be put away’ was a mortifying reminder of our ages; and found out later it was the new network president of CBS, who wanted to program television to a younger audience,†this date in 1973.

Lucille Ball, just before ending her weekly (“Here’s Lucyâ€), participates in the American Film Institute seminar series, “Dialogue on Film,†and answers questions regarding her career, aided by husband, Gary Morton and her long-time publicist, this date in 1974.

Lucille Ball appears with her long-time friend and many stars on NBC Bob Hope’s 30th Anniversary TV Special, written by Fred S. Fox, starring, among others, Milton Berle, George Burns, Glen Campbell, Rosemary Clooney, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Steve Lawrence/Eydie Gorme, Martha Raye, and Danny Thomas, airing this date in 1981.

Lucille Ball appears via archival footage, That's Dancing, Liza Minnelli, hosting, Henry Mancini, Composer, starring, all via archival footages: June Allyson, Ann-Margret, Fred Astaire, Mikhail Baryshnikov, Ray Bolger, James Cagney, Marge and Gower Champion, Cyd Charisse, Joan Crawford, Dan Dailey, Sammy Davis, Jr., Doris Day, Buddy Ebsen, Clark Gable, Judy Garland, Betty Grable, Cary Grant, Van Johnson, Gene Kelly, Frances Langford, Ruta Lee, Vivian Leigh, Shirley MacLaine, Dean Martin, Una Merkel, Ann Miller, Richardo Montelban, George Murphy, Gene Nelson, Donald O'Connor, Dick and Eleanor Powell, Debbie Reynolds, Ginger Rogers, Mickey Rooney, Frank Sinatra, Red Skelton, James Stewart, Lyle Talbot, Russ Tamblyn, John Travolta, Lana Turner, Bobby Van, Vera-Ellen, Esther Williams, and many others, archivally, airing this date in 1985.

Rusty Hamer, guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, 1954; co-star, Desilu Studios-filmed, Make Room for Daddy, 1953-64, with Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, Vivian Vance and William Frawley (Lucy's Mertzes); Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1958; as well as 'semi-regular', Desilu Studios-filmed, The Joey Bishop Show, 1965, dies this date in 1990.

The costume worn by famed pianist, Liberace - (“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy and Liberace†1970, sells on eBay for $3,051.77, on this day in 2006.

January 19

Jean Stapleton, All in the Family - Archie Bunker’s wife, Edith, 204 episodes between 1968-1979; Lucille Ball early-film career friend; appears with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), My Three Sons, 1964; with Desi Arnaz, The Hollywood Squares, and The 26th Annual Tony Awards, 1972; with Lucille Ball, via archival footages, CBS: On The Air, 1978, appears with Lucille, NBC’s, The First Academy of TV Arts and Sciences Television Hall of Fame, 1984; with Lucille, via arhival footages, Funny Women of Television, 1991, The Carol Burnett Show: A Reunion, 1993; with Lucille and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), 50 Years of Funny Females, 1995; as well as with Lucille, both archivally, TV's 50 Funniest Phrases, 2009, is born this date in 1923.

Lucille Ball appears, uncredited, in United Artists' film Moulin Rouge, Daryl F. Zanuck, Producer; co-starring Constance Bennett, Eddie Foy, Jr., uncredited; Fuzzy Knight, Barbara Pepper, uncredited, and Franchot Tone; released this date in 1934.

LA Examiner, Louella O. Parsons: “Lucille Ball flew in over the weekend and is testing for Damon Runyon’s Little Pinks – now called It Comes Up Love,†published this date in 1942.

Post Journal Jamestown, NY: “Lucille Ball Arrives ‘Home’; Plans Bond Drive Activity – While still a ‘Goldwyn Girl’, here to attend funeral services for her grandfather, Fred C. Hunt, her ‘daddy’ . . . “During intermittent reporter interviews over the 5 days home, Lucille credited many hometown friends with generous gratitude, including teachers; the Jamestown Players’ Club, which gave her the stage early on and encouraged her; as well as Lucille describing her rise to stardom ‘the opposite of meteoric’; inspiration of folks for her stand-out hair color; and inviting friends, via the newspaper articles, to come see her. Police had to hold back the hundreds of people who showed up to see her off from the Erie Railroad Station in Jamestown. From Jamestown, Miss Ball will leave for Philadelphia to take part in the 4th War Loan Drive being held in that City, speaking to employees of industrial plants in that areaâ€, published this date in 1944.

Lucille Ball appears on NBC Radio’s Screen Guild Theatre, You Belong to Me, co-starring Don Ameche, airing this date in 1950.

Lucille Ball had to drop out of DeMille’s Greatest Show on Earth, due to her second pregnancy, which movie is scheduled to “go before the cameras†this date in 1951.

Lucille Ball appears on Newsweek Magazine cover - “Who Doesn’t Love Lucy?†– “Lucy and Desi faced Jess Oppenheimer, like teenagers with guilty news, of her latest pregnancy. Jess was delighted, as he had been trying to think up ways to ‘refresh’ Lucy’s scheming ways into show business,†published this date in 1953.

Love, Lucy, by Lucille Ball: “Desiderio Alberto Arnaz IV is bornâ€; (James Bacon, reporter, Associated Press, only member of the media in the delivery room), “and I awoke to find Desi sobbing at the foot of my bed, along with seven thousand letters and a thousand telegrams waiting for me. This was only the beginning. The national hysteria lasted for weeks. Counting everything, one million people sent expressions of their good wishes for the new baby,†beyond this day in 1953.

Desiderio Alberto Arnaz IV - the son of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz – actor (many films – TV and Big Screen, by date throughout this document), businessman, musician, husband, father, and guest co-star (“I Love Lucyâ€) “The Ricardos Dedicate a Statueâ€, 1957, the last show of the series; with Lucie, Lucille and Gary Morton, two episodes of Password,1964; appears in Dean Martin film, Murderers’ Row, 1966, as himself, musical trio, Dino, Desi & Billy; guest, Desilu Productions’, The Mothers-in-Law, 2 episodes, 1968; co-star, with Lucille and Lucie in The Lucy Show series – 5 episodes; co-star on (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 19 episodes – 1968-1972; stars, Mantrap, 1971, as himself; star, Marco – as Marco Polo, 1973; California My Way, and Billy Two Hats,1974, as himself/host; TV film I Love Liberty, (nominated for 3 primeime Emmys), as himself, 1982; guest, All-Star Party for Lucille Ball, 1984; star, Automan, 13 episodes, as Walter Nebicher, 1983-1984; star, Our Time, 1985, appears, (“I Love Lucyâ€): The Very First Show! 1990; Lucy and Desi: A Home Movie, 1993; as well as (“I Love Lucyâ€) 50th Anniversary Special, 2001; is born this date in 1953.

Eclipsing President Eisenhower’s inauguration – (44 million viewers) – an Inauguration party held by Colonel Robert R. McCormick, publisher of Chicago Tribune, came to a temporary halt while everybody watched (“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy Goes to the Hospital,†in silence, (reported as Desi’s favorite episode - he claims differently in “A Bookâ€) - this date in 1953.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra, perform (“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy Goes to the Hospital†(Lucy Ricardo gives birth to Little Ricky – baby - James John Ganzer) every word and movement carefully rehearsed for maximum hilarity, with Ricky’s Tropicana sequence filmed the following week, due to set change difficulties - episode is “the most-watched sitcom ever - remains such until the 1960’s, with veteran Lucy supporting cast members, Bennett Green, (Desi Arnaz’ stand-in), Charles Lane, Peggy Rea William R. Hamel, Barbara Pepper, Ruth Perrott, and Hazel Pierce (Lucille Ball stand-in), airs this date in 1953.

NY Times, by Jack Gould: Hollywood, Calif., Jan. 19 (UP) - “Lucille Ball Adheres to Television Script: Comedienne Gives Birth to 8+lb Pound Boy,†article pointing out that Lucy Ricardo giving birth to a boy in an episode (“I Love Lucyâ€) filmed the previous November just before Lucille took a maternity leave, she and Desi Arnaz were fully prepared if the child had been another daughter, the ‘writers will have to write it off as artistic license,’ and ‘post-birth’ baby episodes were filmed earlier, in the summer, before Lucille looked like an expectant mother,†published this date in 1953.

Lucille Ball appears on Time Magazine cover, this date in 1953.

Post Journal, Jamestown, NY: Lucy’s Baby Has A Birthday – (AP Wirephoto) – Desiderio Alberto Arnaz IV, born a year ago today, gets a birthday kiss from his mother, former Jamestowner Lucille Ball, in Hollywood. The famous baby, whose birthday had been anticipated and filmed ahead of time on his parents’ TV show, was born at 8 A.M. a year ago today in actuality and 12 hours later, over television via the ‘canned’ script, published this date in 1954.

Desilu Productions’, Shower of Stars “Quentin Reynolds Writing the Life of Jack Bennyâ€, William Lundigan, Host, Jack Benny, George Burns, and Shirley MacLaine, airing this date in 1956.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy Meets Charles Boyer,†an episode with Lucy hiring Boyer, to impersonate himself, to make Ricky jealous, filmed this date in 1956.

NY Herald Tribune – “CBS, wanting to reach the greatest number of viewers was met with: ‘Broads, bosoms and fun’, Newton N. Minow, Chairman of Federal Communications Commission’s, concern and disapproval and viewing current television as a ‘vast wasteland’ . . .†published this date in 1964.

Desilu Productions’, The Mothers-In-Law, “And Baby Makes Four†regular cast, as well as Lucy veteran supporting cast member, Vanda Barra, airs this date in 1969.

Hal March, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnazes family friend and veteran supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€) 1952, 1953; Desilu Productions’ 1954; and The Lucy Show 1966, dies this date in 1970.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy and Lawrence Welkâ€, guest co-starring Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) and Lawrence Welk - Lucy has told Viv in a letter she’s friends with Art Linkletter – Viv comes for a visit - a ‘copy’ of Harpo Marx segment from (“I Love Lucyâ€), with Lucie Arnaz, as Kim Carter, airing this date in 1970.

Desi Arnaz organized a party for Desi IV, on the occasion of his 18th birthday, held at the Luau Restaurant, this date in 1971.

Desi Arnaz IV stars as Walter Nebicher, 20th Century Fox TV’s, Automan “Flashes and Ashesâ€, starring Chuck Wagner, as Automan, Robert Lansing and Gerald S. O'Loughlin; Desi's partner - Dino, Desi & Billy combo - Billy Hinsche, composer, theme music, airing this date in 1984.

Norma Varden, Lucille Ball film co star, 1950; veteran supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€) 1953, Desilu Production’s, Willy, 1954; Those Whiting Girls, 1955; and The Lucy Show, 1964, dies this date in 1989.

Hedy Lamarr, with Lucille Ball, 1943, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, 1957; with Lucille, 1982, with Lucille and Desi Arnaz Hollywood Out-takes and Rare Footage, and American Masters: Judy Garland By Myself, 1983; with Lucille, via archival footage, Entertaining the Troops, and That's Entertainment! III, 1994; as well as Ziegfeld Girl Intro, 2004, dies this date in 2000.

Desi Arnaz IV, host, ESPN Sports Century Documentary, with guest Dorothy Hamill, and many other big-name ice-skating sports stars, airs this date in 2002.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Patrick I. Fanelli: Celoron Moving Ahead with Bandshell – “It’s time we started thinking about raising money for the Bandshell,†stated Mayor Tom Bartolo. “Lucie Arnaz and former Celoron Mayor, Rick Slagle, reportedly began the project honoring the Arnaz children’s father, Desi Arnaz, in 2001, during a visit to Jamestown, honoring her parents, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. The project has remained dormant, with small fund-raisers; and, in 2005, Lucie and Desi Arnaz IV, donated $20,000 of their ‘personal funds’ to that end. The design the Village is interested in will cost between $40,000-$45,000, and Village officials want to complete the five-year project by this summer, in time for the Summer Concert Series,†published this date in 2006.

Tony Franciosa, guest co-star, Desilu Productions', The Greatest Show on Earth, 1963; as well as with Lucille Ball and Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars II, 1985, dies this date in 2006.

SFGate - home of the San Francisco Chronicle - I Love Ethel - A Vivian Vance Archive Uncovered - The Collective Mind - by Bob Bragman - “Many of the photos and objects in this gallery belonged to Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) and have never been seen by the public. There are photos from her personal scrapbook along with newspaper and magazine clippings that span her career. There are also photos of objects remaining from her estate, including a pair of chairs given to her by Tallulah Bankhead; a photo of the Lyndon Johnson First Family; an autographed photo of Maruice Chevalier; and one with Vivian and William Frawley (Lucy's The Mertzes) greeting President Eisenhower.†posted this date in 2010.

January 20

George Burns, co-star with wife, Gracie Allen, The George Burns & Gracie Allen Show, 24 episodes, 1950-1958; Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz friend; guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, 1956; guest, Here’s Hollywood, 1962; Lucille's guest co-star, The Lucy Show,1966, (“Here’s Lucyâ€), with Lucille, Swing Out, Sweet Land, and The David Frost Show, 1970; with Lucille, Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Jack Benny But Were Afraid to Ask, again, The David Frost Show, 1971; with Lucille, as ringmaster, and Lucie Arnaz, Circus of the Stars, #2, 1977; with Lucille, as Host, Part II, CBS: On The Air, 1978; with Lucille Dean Martin Celebrity Roast: Jimmy Stewart; with Lucille, Happy Birthday, Bob, 1978; with Lucille, The Bob Hope 30th Anniversary Show, 1981; with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; with Lucille, 4th Annual TV Guide Special, 1983; with Lucille, Unrehearsed Antics of the Stars, 1984; with Lucille, Night of 100 Stars II, 1985; with Lucille, A Beverly Hills Christmas, 1987; with Lucille, as Hostess, America’s Tribute to Bob Hope, 1988; part of The Golden Age of Television, Legends of Comedy, 1992; with Lucille, via archival footage, and Lucie Arnaz, Bob Hope: The First 90 Years, 1993; with Lucille, via archival footage, 50 Years of Funny Females, 1995; with Lucille, as ‘roastee’ guest of honor, via archival footage, The Best of the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts: George Burns, 1998; with Lucille, both via archival footage, Cavett Remembers the Comic Legends, 2006, is born this date in 1896.

Rolfe Sedan, veteran of more than 275 films, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, Kid Millions, 1934; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) Here is My Heart, 1934, Ship Cafe, 1935, Double or Nothing and High, Wide and Handsome, 1937, and Golden Gloves, 1940; guest, Desilu Productions' December Bride, 1954, 1955, 1958; Desilu Studios-filmed, The Adventures of Jim Bowie 1956; guest cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1956; appears with Lucille, Jack Benny's Birthday Special, 1969; is born this date in 1896.

Norma Varden, Lucille Ball co-star, Paramount’s Fancy Pants, 1950; supporting cast member (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1953, guest, Desilu Productions’, Willy, 1955; Those Whiting Girls, 1955; The Ann Sothern Show, 1960; and The Lucy Show, 1964, is born this date in 1898.

DeForest Kelley, co-star, Desilu Productions’, The Untouchables, 1961; stars, Desilu Studios-filmed, Police Story, 1967; as well as star, Star Trek, 76 episodes, 1966-1969, is born this date in 1920.

Arte Johnson, Lucille Ball friend, star of Laugh-In; guest, Desilu Productions’, December Bride, 1956, The Greatest Show on Earth, 1964; with Lucille, 4th Super Comedy Bowl 1, and The David Frost Show, 1971; as well as guest co-star, “(“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1974, is born this date in 1929.

Dorothy Provine, guest, Desilu Productions', The Texan, 1959; as well as appears with Lucille Ball, Bob Hope's Overseas Christmas Tours: Around the World with the Troops - 1941-1972 1980; is born this date in 1935.

Hollywood Citizen News: “Lucille Ball, brought to Hollywood by Samuel Goldwyn for a mannequin role in an Eddie Cantor film, probably will play a feminine lead in The Flying Yorkshireman, Cantor’s next picture at RKO-Radio,†published this date in 1939.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), appears in Paramount Pictures' Ambush, as Inspector J. L. Weber, co-starring Broderick Crawford, Richard Denning, Olin Howland, Lloyd Nolan, among many others, released on this date in 1939.

LA Evening Herald Express, Harrison Carroll: “Lucille Ball is out here to obtain RKO’s consent to do more personal appearances with Desi Arnaz before she makes another picture. Her last film, Valley of the Sun, as yet to be released,†published this date in 1942.

[Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude to Lucille and Desi’s performances, moving them toward the now-world-famous pairing of “I Love Lucy†which made history and will perpetuate.] LA - Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appeared in a one-week engagement, doing a fifteen-minute act (one of four acts), in hour between screenings of “Smilin’ Through,†a movie – with Desi singing; then, the two of them singing together, this date in 1942.

Post Journal, Jamestown, NY: “Welcome To Jamestown – Acting Mayor, Carl Fagerstrom, presents film star, Lucille Ball, with a large bouquet of red roses on behalf of the city at the War Bond meeting in the Hotel Jamestown, where Miss Ball spoke to the leaders of the Fourth War Loan Drive,†published this date in 1944.

Post Journal, Jamestown, NY: “Aids Bond Campaign – Screen actress, Lucille Ball, stepped in the booth at Hotel Jamestown yesterday to help boost the sale of War Bonds and Stamps. Miss Ball was quite concerned about the fact that she might interfere with a customer in line to buy a Bond,†published this date in 1944.

Post Journal, Jamestown, NY: “Lucille Ball Confident City Will Hit Bond Goal – Screen Star Addresses Rally, Accepts Roses, Halts Traffic in Appearances – Lucille, unofficially opened this City’s 4th War Loan Drive when she responded in true ‘home-town girl’ spirit to a request of bond officials for an impromptu appearance at a luncheon meeting in Hotel Jamestown. Miss Ball is a member of the Hollywood Victory Committee’s galaxy of stars who will help boost bond sales throughout the nation during the next three weeks. The screen star will also appear in Washington, D.C., among the guests at the President’s Birthday Ball, continuing her campaigning activites with a boost for the ‘March of Dimes’ infantile paralysis fund; then, on to NYC for radio appearances,†published this date in 1944.

Post Journal, Jamestown, NY: “Hollywood Life is Quiet, Lucille’s Publicity Man Says – ‘Hollywood is more circumspect that the average small town,’ William Golden, Lucille Ball’s press agent, said today – ‘practically all great names live more normal lives than other Americans’ . . . “ published this date in 1944.

Post Journal, Jamestown, NY: “Youngsters on Warpath for Lucille’s Autograph - . . . camping on the doorstep of the Hotel Jamestown,†published this date in 1944.

Desi Arnaz and the Desi Arnaz Orchestra record for RCA Victor, in Hollywood, California, “Peanut Vendorâ€, “Cuba Pete†and “Green Eyesâ€, this date in 1947.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear, My Favorite Husband episode #72, with veteran supporting cast member, Hal March, airs this date in 1950.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear My Favorite Husband – episode #115, with veteran (“I Love Lucyâ€) supporting cast member, Shirley Mitchell, airs this date in 1951.

[Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude to Lucille and Desi’s performances pre-“I Love Lucy†which made history and will perpetuate.] “Lucy Promotes Desi†(during closing credits of CBS Radio’s My Favorite Husband), Lucille Ball interrupts announcer to promote the debut the following day of Desi Arnaz’ new CBS Radio’s Your Tropical Trip, this date in 1951.

Jamestown (NY) Post Journal: Lucille Ball Mother of Son – Hollywood, (AP) – The Lucille Ball baby, awaited by her television fans throughout the nation, arrived yesterday. Desi Arnaz: “It’s a boy. Now, we have everythin’,†published this date in 1953.

NY Times – Lucille Ball Adheres to Television Script: Comedienne Gives Birth to 81/2 Pound Boy†– James Bacon, AP reporter, only media represented, or allowed, in the delivery room, published this date in 1953.

While 29 million people witness President Eisenhower’s swearing-in ceremony on American Television, 44 million tuned in to watch “Little Ricky’s 'birth' (‘I Love Lucy’)†the night before - a television first: a 71.7 Nielsen rating, this date in 1953.

Desilu Productions’, Shower of Stars “Show Stoppersâ€, with William Lundigan, Host, Art Gilmore, Announcer, David Rose, Music Conductor; Gene Nelson, Choreographer, co-starring Betty and Jane Kean, Red Skelton, and Ethel Merman, among others, airs date in 1955.

Post Journal, Jamestown, NY: “Lucille Ball‘s Arrival to Be All-Jamestown Event – Helicopters are being furnished by Bell Aircraft Corporation, whose secretary-treasurer is a former Jamestowner and schoolmate of Lucille, as well as Lawrence Bell, President of Bell Aircraft, who will accompany the celebrated stars to Jamestown. Piloting will be another Jamestown native, and CBS TV camera, press and radio will be arrayed at the arrival point to record the whole event,†published this date in 1956.

Post Journal, Jamestown, NY: “Here’s Last Chance – Queen Contest Entries Close Saturday Noon – Tomorrow is deadline and photo entries are due at the Post-Journal by noon,†published this date in 1956.

Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Lineup, “Seven Sinnersâ€, starring Clu Gulager, among others; directed by William Asher, edited by Dann Cahn, airs this date in 1960.

The Lucy Show “Chris Goes Steady†- guest co-starring Michael J. Pollard, playing Mooney’s son and Kim’s steady boyfriend, airs this date in 1964.

Desilu Productions', Mannix, “Deadfall: Part 1â€, starring Mike Connors, as Joe Mannix, with Joseph Campanella, Beverly Garland, Nicholas Georgiade, Morgan Jones, among others, airs this date in 1968.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy Goes on Strike†with veteran supporting cast member, Mary Wickes, long-time friend of Lucille Ball, in her first of many appearances in this series, as well as Lucy veterans, Whit Bissel and John 'Red' Fox, which has Lucy protesting no salary raise from Harry, with Lucie Arnaz, as Kim Carter, airing this date in 1969.

Lucille Ball appears, in a co-produced and conceived by Cy Coleman CBS’ Emmy-Award-winning Special, with Shirley MacLaine: Shirley MacLaine: Gypsy in My Soul, special also wins a DGA Award for directorial achievement of the musical variety, filmed in New York, with multiple cameras; but, no audience, airs this date in 1976.

Johhny Weissmuller, of Tarzan fame; guest co-star, Desilu Productions’, Here’s Hollywood, 1961; with Lucille Ball, via archival footage, Hollywood Without Make-Up, 1963; dies this date in 1984.

Desi Arnaz IV stars, as Michael Porter, in Andy Griffith's Matlock, “The Rat Pack,†starring Andry Griffith, and co-starring Tim Busfield, Greg Evigan, and Linda Purl, among others, airing this date in 1987.

Barbara Stanwyck, Lucille Ball early film-career friend, of The Thorn Birds and Colbys fame; star and hostess, Desilu Studios-filmed, The Barbara Stanwyck Show, 1961 - Primetime Emmy, 1961, 31 episodes, 1960-1961, guest star, The Joey Bishop Show, 1961; Desilu Productions’, The Untouchables, two episodes, 1962, 1963; as well as with Lucille, The American Film Institute Salute to Henry Fonda, 1978, dies this date in 1990.

Alec Hirshfeld, Broadway and Hollywood caricaturist, completed many artworks of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz from 1943 until at least 1998, at age 99, dies on this day in 2003.

Eagle Rock Entertainment – Public Broadcast Service (PBS) – Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appear, via archive footage in a documentary: American Masters: TV in Black: The First 50 Years - The black image on television changed American culture. This two-hour program includes rare footage, memorabilia, photographs and exclusive interviews from the actors/writers/producers whose personal journeys created television history. In this extraordinary show, the uniquely Black perspective inside the History of Television is explored and celebrated. From Comedy to Politics to Drama, the role Race plays is unflinchingly probed. Orginal programs and personalities are revealed and remembered. More than forty interviews, original footage and rarely seen photos tell the story-from Amos & Andy to Bernie Mac and everything in between in - TV in Black, is broadcast this date in 2004.

The Post Journal, Jamestown, NY – Information Center – In Years Past – 50 Years Ago: “The helicopter arrival of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz for the world premiere of their new MGM picture, Forever Darling at Dipson’s Palace Theater (now Reg Lenna Civic Center), is turning out to be an all-Jamestown production. The helicopters are being furnished by Bell Aircraft Corporation, which is taking more than just ordinary interest in the gala affair. William G. Gisel, secretary-treasurer of the company, is a former Jamestowner and schoolmate of Lucille. Pilot of the helicopter flying Lucille and Desi to Jamestown will be former Jamestowner, Floyd Carlson,†this date in 2006.

January 21

J. Carrol Naish, co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1939, 1940; appears with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, Meet the Stars #6: Stars at Play, 1941; guest, Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of Stars, 1950, with Lucille, Desi, Vivian Vance and William Frawley (The Mertzes) Stars in the Eye, 1952; guest, Desilu Productions', Whirlybirds (unknown year), The Texan,1958; guest, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1958; Desilu Productions', The Untouchables, 1960, and 17 episodes of Guestward Ho!, 1960-1961; appears with Vivian (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) Desilu Productions' Guestward Ho! 1960; with Lucille and Desi, all archivally, Hollywood Out-takes and Rare Footage, 1983; as well as with Lucille, archivally, That's Entertainment! III, 1994; is born this date in 1896.

John Doucette, Lucille Ball co-star, Columbia’s The Fuller Brush Girl, 1950; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), Lemon Drop Kid, 1951; with Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), Rancho Notorious, 1952; guest, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959; Lucille's guest (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1971, is born this date in 1921.

Donna Reed, of Dallas fame, appears with Lucille Ball, Thousands Cheer, 1943, Hollywood Without Make-Up, 1963, as well as Funny Women of Television (both via archival footage) 1991, is born this date in 1921.

Telly Savalas, of Kojak fame; guest co-star, Desilu Productions’, The Untouchables “Jack Legs’ Diamondâ€, 1960, “The Antidoteâ€, “The Matt Bass Schemeâ€, 1961, and “The Speculatorâ€, 1963, and Here’s Hollywood, 1961; appears with Desi Arnaz, A Bob Hope Special: Joys, 1976; appears with Lucille Ball, as Ringmaster, and Lucie Arnaz, Circus of the Stars #2, 1977; co-host with Lucille, Part 1: CBS: On the Air†1978; appears, as Lt. Thurston, with Desi Arnaz IV, as Det. Clint Morgan, Fake-Out (aka Nevada Heat), 1982; with Lucille The 38th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, 1986; as well as with Lucille, at #3, via archival footage, 200 Greatest Pop Culture Icons, 2003, is born this date in 1922.

Lucille Ball has a lead role, thanks to mentor and drama coach at RKO, Lela Rogers (Ginger Rogers’ mother), and Producer Pandro Berman, in a Broadway-bound musical comedy Hey, Diddle Diddle, a show never making it to Broadway, which opens at the historic McCarter Theater, Princeton, NJ, this date in 1937.

Post Journal, Jamestown, NY: “Ardent Fans Trail Lucille to Cemetery – 25 Jamestown school children invaded the Lakeview Cemetery yesterday, hoping to catch a glimpse of Lucille Ball (in Jamestown for Grandfather ‘Daddy’ Hunt’s burial), as well as gathering in front of the Funeral Home . . . . †published this date in 1944.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear on CBS Radio, 30-minute Situation Comedy, My Favorite Husband “Marriage License,†– episode #28, with veteran supporting cast members, Frank Nelson, Ted DeCorsica, and Doris Singleton - the basis for (“I Love Lucyâ€) #26, “Marriage License,†- interesting real-world similarities between Lucille’s life and her role in film; i.e., always dreaming and plotting; her elopement in 1940; as in Dream Girl, 1947; and later, two My Favorite Husband episodes, “Anniversary†1949, and “Marriage License†1950; discovering name misspelling and refusal of marital legitimacy until renewing of vows; which episode airs this date in 1949.

Hollywood Citizen News, Sheilah Graham: “Lucille Ball is thanking heaven that Desi Arnaz is safe and sound. When Desi’s plane was to land in Chicago a couple of days ago, another plane flew in and landed on the same strip. Desi’s plane, in avoiding the other plane, gave passengers quite a shaking, and Lucille dashes east to spend a couple of days before starring in Miss Grant Takes Richmond,†published this date in 1949.

[‘Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude to Lucille and Desi’s performances/appearances/acquaintances/plans/ideas, moving them toward the now-world-famous pairing of “I Love Lucy†which made history and will perpetuate.] Desi Arnaz and Orchestra, having recently closed at Chi Chi Night Club, Palm Springs, and Desi, under contract with CBS, debuts a new Radio Program, Your Tropical Trip (name changed from Earn Your Vacation – a one-half music, one-half quiz show) hosted by a new young comic, Johnny Carson, and “emceed†by Desi Arnaz, airing this date in 1951.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy Plays Cupidâ€, guest co-starring Edward Everett Horton and Bea Benaderet, a regular on Lucille’s My Favorite Husband radio show - episode is based on “Valentine’s Day,†telling of Bea, (Miss Lewis) 'crush' on the grocer, (Edward Everett), Mr. Ritter, airing this date in 1952.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Ricky Loses His Temper†an episode with Lucy betting Ricky about ‘hat buying’ and his losing his temper, filmed this date in 1954.

Post Journal, Jamestown, NY: “In The Heart, Fight – Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz have been named co-chairmen of the Heart Fund Volunteers by the American Heart Fund which will hold its annual drive February 1 through 28. The popular TV stars will lead an army of volunteers who will work for the Heart Fund throughout the month,†published this day in 1955.

CBS’ The Lucy Show – 30-minutes, black & white – this is not a misprint, nor Miss Ball’s classic 1960’s sitcom. The re-runs of (“I Love Lucyâ€) on Sundays had done so well for CBS they decide to add this extra night of (“I Love Lucyâ€) re-runs on Saturdays in the very early evening. New graphics are made to reflect the change of title and sponsor this date in 1956.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Little Ricky Gets a Dog†- Lucy is forced to hide him due to restrictions in the lease, even though Mrs. Trumbell's cat had been mentioned, at least once, in the past, co-starring John Emery and Keith Thibodeau, as Little Ricky, airing this date in 1957.

Cecil B. DeMille, one of Lucille Ball’s mentors and early movie employer, dies this date in 1959.

The Lucy Show “Lucy Becomes a Reporterâ€, wherein Lucy gets a job on a newspaper, and Viv's old boyfriend comes to town, airing this date in 1963.

Desilu Productions', The Greatest Show on Earth “Big Man From Nairobiâ€, starring Jack Palance, as Johnny Slate, co-starring Ellen Burstyn, Sarah Selby, and Cornell Wilde, among others, airs this date in 1964.

Desi Arnaz’ Productions - Desi Arnaz and Elliott Lewis, directors; executive-produced by Desi - United Artists’ - NBC TV, The Mothers-in-Law, “The Hombre Who Came to Dinner, Part 2,†creator, and written by Lucy writers Madelyn Davis and Bob Carroll, Jr.; with regular cast, Eve Arden, Kay Ballard, 56 episodes each; Roger C. Carmel, 30 episodes; Jerry Fogel, Herb Rudley, 56 episodes each; Richard Deacon, 20 episodes (replaces Carmel); and Deborah Walley, 56 episodes; as well as Desi Arnaz, starring as Rapael del Gado, 4 episodes, and Desi Arnaz, IV, as Tommy, and other characters, 3 episodes, airing this date in 1968.

Lucille Ball appears on ABC’s, (Make Room for Granddaddy: “Lucy Carter, ([The Lucy Show] Houseguestâ€) - Danny Thomas, Executive Producer - Desilu Studios-filmed The Danny Thomas Show - Make Room for Daddy, Richard Crenna (Our Miss Brooks), producing this episode – regular Thomas cast, with Lucy, as houseguest, in which Lucy is confused about Danny’s intentions toward her. Co-starring are Lucy veteran supporting cast members, Joseph Mell, Sid Melton and Doris Singleton, airing this date in 1971.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy is N.G. as an R.N.â€, written by Madelyn Davis and Bob Carroll, Jr., with veteran supporting cast members, Mary Jane Croft, given much screen time, and Lucy veteran support cast members, Al Checco and Roy Roberts (as the doctor) in his last television performance prior to his death several weeks later, Lucy cancels a trip to play nursemaid when Kim gets the flu, airing this date in 1974.

Desi Arnaz IV, stars, as Steve Hollis, ABC- TV's The Love Boat, with regular cast members - “Hollywood Royalty/Caper, The/Eyes of Love, The/Masquerade: Parts 1 and 2â€, co-starring Adrienne Barbeau, John J. 'Red' Fox, Fernando Lamas, Michelle Lee, Juliet Mills, Dan Rowan, Larry Storch, and Karen Valentine, among others, airing this date in 1978.

Frank Mitchell, co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) 1941; guest cast member, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour 1959; as well as Desilu Studios-filmed The Red Skelton Show, 1959, 1960, dies this date in 1991.

Jack Lord, of Hawaii 5-0 fame; guest co-star, Desilu Productions’ U.S. Marshal “Sentenced to Death†1958; The Untouchables “The Jake Lingle Killing†1959; Here’s Hollywood 1962; as well as The Greatest Show on Earth “Man in a Hole†1964, dies this date in 1998.

Susan Strasburg co-star in Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse 1958, dies this date 1999.

Lucie Arnaz, co-stars, as Judy Connelly, in Open City Films', Down to You, with Jimmy Kimmel, Ashton Kutcher, Freddie Prinze, Jr., and Henry Winkler, (nominated: 3 Team Choice Awards; one win Choice Actor, Prinze, as well as many others, a young man wins and loses the love of his life, released on this date in 2000.

Peggy Lee, guest, Desilu Productions' The Walter Winchell Show and Shower of Stars “The Flattering World†1956; appears with Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball A Star is Born World Premiere 1954; with Lucille and Desi American Masters: Judy Garland: By Myself 1983; with Lucille Toast of the Town 1961; as well as with Desi, via archival footage, The Nightclub Years 2001, dies this date in 2002.

Lucille Ball appears, archivally, as all stars do, Bob Monkhouse's Comedy Heroes, a compilation of Bob Monkhouse's favorite comedy clips from his lifetime, featuring narration and contributions from fellow professionals; with Bob Hope, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Leslie Nielsen, Jonathan Winters, among others, on this date in 2004.

The Post-Journal Jamestown, NY – “Happy Birthday, Roy – Retired Police Officer Celebrates 90th Birthday†– by Anastasia Conklin: “Roy Peterson grew up across the street from Lucille Ball’s grandparents, with whom she lived for a time, and since her strict grandparents would not allow her to read the Sunday comics, she would visit Roy’s home to read themâ€. Roy, one of the police escorts, was head of security for Lucille and Desi in 1956 when they came to Jamestown for the World Premiere of their movie Forever Darling, and celebrated his birthday in the Tropicana Room, Desilu Playhouse, with many friends and family present, published this date in 2007.

Lucille Ball appears via archival footage, in Make 'Em Laugh:The Funny Business of America, with Kaye Ballard, Buster Keaton, Joan Rivers, Tom and Dick Smothers, Dick Van Dyke, and Jonathan Winters, among others, airing this date in 2009.

The Latest From Everything Lucy Website – LA Times by Valerie J. Nelson - (“I Love Lucyâ€) Trivia Book Writer Has Died - “Bart Andrews, a prolific author of TV trivia tomes, having written The ('I Love Lucy') Book, released in 1985, revised and expanded version of a 1976 book he co-wrote: Lucy & Ricky & Fred & Ethel, an early definitive appreciation of the classic sitcom, has died, December 26, Hollywood, at 64 years of age. He was the first to write a history of the Lucy show. He considered the discovery of the long-missing unaired pilot episode – a copy was found in 1990: 'the biggest find in terms of archival material in the history' of TV. The four books he wrote about Lucille Ball turned Andrews into an acknowledged expert on the sitcom. Bart worked for television producer legend, Sheldon Leonard, a friend of the Arnazesâ€, posted this date in 2010.

The State.com – South Carolina's Home Page - “Bart Andrews Dies at 64: (“I Love Lucyâ€) enthusiast wrote TV Trivia Booksâ€, posted this date in 2010.

January 22

Ann Sothern, Lucille Ball early film-career friend and co-star, United Artists’, Broadway Through A Keyhole, 1933, and Kid Millions, 1934; MGM’s, Thousands Cheer, 1943; guest, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1957; guest, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959; star, Desilu Productions’, The Ann Sothern Show, 93 episodes between 1958-1961; guest, The Lucy Show – 7 episodes, as ‘The Countess’, 1965, is born this date in 1909.

Piper Laurie guest stars in Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959, is born this date in 1932.

Bill Bixby, of Incredible Hulk fame; appears in Desilu Studios-filmed, The Andy Griffith Show, 1962; starring in My Favorite Martian, as Tim O'Hara, 107 episodes, 1963-66, appears with Desi Arnaz, The Hollywood Squares, 1972; appears with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), The Great Houdini, 1976; as well as appears with Desi Arnaz IV, Black Market Baby, 1977, is born this date in 1934.

Hollywood Citizen News, Film-Flam, by Sidney Skolsky – Watching Them Make Pictures: “Lucille Ball is the tall blonde who resembles Carole Lombard in the fashion parade during filming of Roberta,†published this date in 1935.

Lucille Ball, starring in Hey Diddle Diddle, opens, on stage, in Princeton, NJ, to a welcoming audience and appreciative reviews, this date in 1937.

The Post Journal Jamestown, NY: “Back From Solomons, (Jamestown) Marine Finally Meets Lucille Ball – Sgt. Lawrence Eddy, recovering from a plane crash and broken back, (missed Lucille when she entertained at hospital base in California), and the two got along so well, they joined together to visit Marlin Rockwell Plant for the Bond Tour, raising $8,000, with 1,000 persons in attendance,†published this date in 1944.

Hollywood Citizen News, Florabel Muir Reports: “Lucille Ball is so put out with the persistent rumors separating her from Desi Arnaz that she’s gone to Palm Springs to get away from ‘em,†published this date in 1947.

Flip Mark, guest co-star Desilu Productions’ Guestward Ho! 1961; Fair Exchange, 1962; Lucille Ball guest co-star, The Lucy Show, 1964; guest, Desilu Productions’, The Mothers-In-Law, 1969, is born this date in 1948.

Lucille Ball appears on NBC Radio’s The Kraft Music Hall, with Al Jolson, airing this date in 1948.

Alan Hale, Sr., Lucille Ball early film-career co-star 1934; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) 1934, 1937, 1941, 1942, 1947; as well as with Lucille again in 1963, 1982, dies this date in 1950.

Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, Desi Arnaz, Host - â€Meeting At Appalachiaâ€, co-starring Cameron Mitchell and Jack Warden, among others, airs this date in 1960.

Herbert Marshall, co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1938; Lucille Ball co-star, KECA Radio, 1942; guest, Desilu Productions; December Bride, 1955; as well as with Lucille, both via archive footage, Hollywood Without Make-Up, 1963, dies this date in 1966.

The Lucy Show “Mooney’s Other Wife†- Bob O’Brien, writer - with repeat guest co-star from Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour days, Edie Adams, as a young woman Mooney has been naughty with away on convention, arrives on his doorstep, airing this date in 1968.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy Goes to Prison†- written by Seaman Jacobs,and Fred S. Fox - Else Lanchester guest co-stars for a second Lucy time; Roy Roberts, veteran supporting cast member, and Lucy uses her mother’s second married name, DeDe Peterson, in prison, where she goes undercover to get some information, with Lucie Arnaz, as Kim Carter, airing this date in 1973.

Telly Savalas, of Kojak fame; guest co-star, Desilu Productions’, The Untouchables, 1960, 1961, 1963, and Here’s Hollywood, 1961; appears with Desi Arnaz, 1976; appears with Lucille Ball and Lucie Arnaz, Circus of the Stars, 1977; co-host, Part I; with Lucille, co-host, Part II, CBS: On the Airâ€, 1978; appears with Desi Arnaz IV, 1982; with Lucille The 38th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, 1986; as well as with Lucille, both via archival footage, 200 Greatest Pop Culture Icons, 2003, dies this date in 1994.

Ann Miller, Lucille Ball early film-career friend and co-star, 1937, 1938; with Lucille and Desi Arnaz, 1940; with Desi Arnaz, 1941; with Lucie Arnaz, Tony Awards, 1981, 1982; with Lucille and Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; with Lucille and Desi, Judy Garland, By Myself, 1983; with Lucille, archivally, 1985; with Lucille, Happy 100th Birthday, Hollywood, and Hollywood, The Golden Years, 1987; as well as with Lucie and Desi Arnaz IV, Vivian Vance & William Frawley (Lucy's Mertzes), interviewee, Lucy-Desi: A Home Movie, 1993, and The Desilu Story, 2003, dies this day in 2004.

The Latest From Everything Lucy Website – “Missing ('I Love Lucy') Show Yet?†– For those who haven’t noticed, (“I Love Lucyâ€) is no longer on TV Land. The show has moved to The Hallmark Channel with two episodes, weekdays…†posted this date in 2009.

The Lucy Lounge Website – Reporting of PBS Special “Make ‘Em Laugh†– showing Lucy clips; a Bob Carroll, Jr., and Madelyn Davis’ interview; a Roseanne Barr interview on Lucy; and Jerry Seinfeld, comparing his ‘sitcom’ as being funny in the vein of (“I Love Lucyâ€), posted this date in 2009.

Lucie Arnaz Website: Lucie Arnaz will perform and tour (through the 7th of February) various Southern Florida Venues, commencing on this date in 2009.

January 23

Randolph Scott, Lucille Ball and William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), early-film career(s) co-star, RKO Radio’s Roberta, 1935, with Lucille, Follow The Fleet 1936; with Frawley, High, Wide, and Handsome, 1937; as well as with Lucille and Desi Arnaz, Meet the Stars #6: Stars at Play, 1941, is born this date in 1898.

Dan Duryea, film co-star with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), Lady On A Train, 1945; guest, Desilu Productions', December Bride, 1955; guest, Desilu Studios-filmed, Cavalcade of America, 1957; with Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse,2 episodes, 1959; is born this date in 1907.

Juney Ellis, co-star, Arnazes, The Long, Long Trailer, 1953; guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, 1954; supporting cast member (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1955; as well as guest, Desilu Studios-filmed, The Betty Hutton Show, 1969, is born this date in 1909.

Ernie Kovacs, guest co-star, Desilu Productions’, The Walter Winchell Show, 1956; guest, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959; guest, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour,with wife, Edie Adams,1960; the last show; appears with Lucille, TV's Funniest Game Show Moments, 1984; as well as, with entire cast, all via archival footages, Lucie and Desi Arnaz IV, and many others (“I Love Lucyâ€) 50th Anniversary Special, 2001, is born this date in 1919.

Florence Halop, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1952; appears with Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, Vivian Vance and William Frawley (The Mertzes), Stars in the Eye, 1952; guest, Desilu Productions’, The Untouchable, 1959; with Desi Arnaz IV, Love, American Style, 1971; as well as Lucille's guest, (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1974, is born this date in 1923.

Film Daily – Chatterbox – RKO Radio - Lucille Ball appears in the cast of an early-career movie, reported this date in 1936.

Lucille Ball appears as a regular cast member Sunday nights on CBS Radio’s The Phil Baker Show, this date in 1938.

Desi Arnaz stars in RKO Radio Picture’s, Four Jacks and a Jill, co-starring Ray Bolger, Eddie Foy, Jr., June Havoc, and Marie Windsor, a musical, is released this date in 1942.

NY Daily Courant: “Lucille Ball: One of seven prominent screen personalities participating in President Roosevelt’s Birthday celebration on behalf of Infantile Paralysis Foundation, Washington, D.C., published this date in 1944.

Lucille Ball visits the Jamestown Post Journal editorial rooms on the last day of her hometown visit this day in 1944.

(“I Love Lucyâ€), “Second Honeymoon,†- Desi Arnaz, as Ricardo, The Orchestra Leader, and the Desi Arnaz Orchestra, perform at CBS-TV General Service Studios - a thinly-veiled suggestion that the Mertzes might enjoy a sex life, second-appearance, as cast member, Virginia Barfour, appearing in role as ‘woman’; with veteran cast members, Kenneth Hamilton, stunt man, as Harvey Grant; and with Herbert Lytton, Tyler McVey, Louis Nicoletti, and Marco Rizo, and Paula Winslow, airing this date in 1956.

Desilu Productions', Fractured Flickers, with veteran supporting cast (Lucy) member, Hans Conried, Host, (who explains what a 'fractured flicker' is; introduces several wacky segments and interviews guests) co-starring this segment, Zsa Zsa Gabor, which airs on this date in 1964.

The Lucy Show “Main Street, U.S.A.†- Bob O’Brien, writer, the first of a two-parter, guest co-stars, Mel Torme and Paul Winchell (their second Lucy appearance); John Bubbles, and veteran supporting cast members, Carole Cook, with Burt Mustin and Louis A. Nicoletti - Lucy and Mooney are sent to a small town bank financing a new freeway, and airing this date in 1967.

Jack Oakie, Lucille Ball’s early film-career friend and co-star, 1934, 1936, 1938; guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, 2 episodes, 1955, as well as Desilu Studios-filmed, The Real McCoys, 1963; dies this date in 1978.

TV Guide: “The 50 Funniest TV Moments of All Time,†Lucille Ball making list twice in top 20 [(“I Love Lucyâ€) candy factory and Vitameatavegamin episodes] and sharing the cover with Carol Burnett and Jerry Seinfeld, the week commencing this date in 1999.

Rosalyn Borden, (one-half of sister team, "Teensy" & "Weensy") (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1955, dies this date in 2003.

Johnny Carson, appears with Lucille Ball Toast of the Town, 1962; Lucille and Desi Arnaz’ friend and Lucille's guest co-star, The Lucy Show, 1969; with Lucille on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, 1968, 1969, 1970, 2 appearances, 1971, and 1984; Desi appears on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, 1971, 1972, and 1976; appears at CBS Salutes Lucy: The First 25 Years, 1976; with Lucille, Happy Birthday, Bob, and A Tribute to Mr. Television, Milton Berle, 1978, Lucille's guest on Lucy Moves to NBC, 1980; appears with Lucille on The American Film Institute Salute to Billy Wilder, 1986, as well as with Lucille, archivally, and Lucie Arnaz, Bob Hope: The First 90 Years, 1993, dies this day in 2005.

The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum’s next Legacy of Laughter (LOL) seminar will take place March 3, in the Historic Boulder Theatre in Boulder City, Nevada! To preserve Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz’ legacy, the legendary comedy pair’s daughter, Lucie Arnaz and son, Desi Arnaz, IV and his wife, Amy, will host the event. Lucie Arnaz will moderate the panel that, to date, includes: Sean Astin: actor (The Goonies, Rudy Memphis Belle, Lord of the Rings), Academy Award-nominated director, (Kangaroo Court), as well as Jim Dunnigan: drug and alcohol intervention counselor. This ‘Legacy of Laughter’ Seminar, the third event, is more than just about the comedy the Arnazes parents left behind; it is about the teaching ability of love and laughter, with panel discussions (and audience interaction); to explore and celebrate the inestimable value of laughter,†announced this date in 2007.

Lucie Arnaz Website: Lucie Arnaz will perform and tour (through the 7th of February) various Southern Florida Venues, commencing on this date in 2009.

I'm wondering about the dates for Lucy's appearances with Carson, she went on one time, one of her last visits with him when she had this dark black wig on, obviously during the MAME promotion so that would be around '74, he introduces her as a famous redhead and she comes out with the black wig, doing something one should never do, surprise Carson with something that was not scripted.

January 16

Karl Freund, infamous mentor, pivotal in the career(s) of Lucile Ball and Desi Arnaz; cinematographer, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) film, Rose of Washington Square, 1939; Lucille films, DuBarry Was a Lady, 1943, Without Love, 1945, Two Smart People, 1946; it was, perhaps, inevitable that technical and innovation-minded Freund would get to work for brand new visual medium - television. Lucille, whom he had photographed when she was a contract player at MGM, hired him as the director of photography at Desilu Productions, owned by Ball and her husband, Desi. Freund decided to shoot (“I Love Lucyâ€) with three, 35mm Mitchell BNC cameras, one of each to, simultaneously, shoot long shots, medium shots, and close-ups, giving the editor, Dann Cahn, adequate coverage to create the 22 minutes of footage needed for a half-hour commercial network show. Freund worked out the lighting during the rehearsal period, and provided them with quality films of each show that could be easily syndicated into perpetuity, whereas the live shows filmed secondarily off of flickering TV monitors as kinescopes could not; (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1951-56; Desilu Productions', Our Miss Brooks, 126 episodes, 1952-56; Willy, 16 episodes, 1954-55, as well as December Bride, 2 episodes, 1955; is born this date in 1890.

Peter Brocco, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, Columbia’s, Miss Grant Takes Richmond, 1949; supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1956, 1957; star, Desilu Productions’, Sheriff of Cochise, 1957, The Untouchables, 1961, Star Trek, 1967, and Mission: Impossible, 2 episodes, 1970; is born this date in 1903.

Ethel Merman, Lucille Ball’s life-long friend, (Ethel Mertz named after her); co-star, United Artists’ film, Kid Millions, 1934; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), Strike Me Pink, 1936; appears with Lucille CBS’ Dinner With The President, 1953; guest star, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, 2 episodes, 1955;; appears with Lucille and Desi Arnaz, Toast of the Town, 1956; with Lucille, NBC’s Lucy Goes to Broadway, 1961 (unproduced, reuniting Vivian, Bill (the Mertzes), Lucille, Desi, as well as Lucie and Desi Arnaz IV – a first); Lucille's guest co-star, reunited again with Vivian, The Lucy Show, 2 episodes, 1964; star, Desilu Productions', Maggie Brown, an unsold sitcom, 1963; as well as several career intersections with Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz), who was Ethel’s understudy, 1934; is born this date in 1908.

Elliot Reid, veteran supporting cast member (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1955; The Lucy Show, 1963, 1965, as well as (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1970, is born this date in 1920.

Katy Jurado; guest, Desilu Productions’, Here’s Hollywood, 1961, and co-star with Desi Arnaz, The Virginian, 1970, is born this date in 1924.

Lucille Ball appears as a regular cast member Sunday nights on CBS Radio’s, The Phil Baker Show, this date in 1938.

Hollywood Citizen News, “RKO-Radio today sent word to Lucille Ball that she will have to cut short her NY vacation and get back here to do the female lead in The Romantic Mr. Hinkle,†published this date in 1940.

Carole Lombard, long-time friend of Lucille Ball; appears with Lucille, archivally, Entertaining the Troops, 1994; as well as with Lucille, via archival footages, GAB Entertainment's, You Know The Face, 2009, dies in tragic airplane accident, on this date in 1942.

NY Times, Jack Gould’s TV Column: “CBS & Philip Morris receive letters from viewers taking exception to pregnancy the main point of interest for a comedy series. As handled on the screen, there seem no grounds for objection; but, applause. Ball and Arnaz handled topic of approaching baby with taste and skill and amusing in the process - far from ridiculing motherhood, (‘I Love Lucy’) made it appear the most natural thing in the worldâ€, this date in 1953.

NY Times, “Near Birth of (?) Arnaz Is Engendering Interest of Fans of (‘I Love Lucy’)â€, published this date in 1953.

“(“I Love Lucyâ€) Bon Voyageâ€, first of two episodes involving the passage to Europe, one of the most expensive technical situations and episodes in five years of filming - in addition to requiring a “second filming crew,†- was lowering Lucy from a helicopter onto the ship Constitution which had sailed without her, and so authentic were the segments that a British company, after viewing, cabled Desilu asking when the Constitution was arriving in Southhampton; and the Federal Maritime Board officials secured copies of the shows to help promote the Merchant Marine; guest co-starring Jack Albertson, as the helicopter dispatcher, and veteran Lucy supporting cast members, Bennett Green, (Desi Arnaz’ stand-in), Jack Albertson, Kathryn Card, Ken Christy, Frank Gerstle, Tyler McVey, and Elizabeth Patterson, airs this date in 1956.

Post Journal - Jamestown, NY: “Shadow of Things to Come – Jamestown’s Lucille Ball is about to be transferred from a helicopter to the deck of the SS Constitution in one of the scenes from tonight’s (“I Love Lucyâ€) TV Show. The wide-eyed comedienne and husband are scheduled to arrive in Jamestown at noon, Monday, Feb. 6, via the same helicopter ‘method’ for a two-day homecoming program climaxed Tuesday night, Feb. 7, with the world premiere of ‘Forever Darling’,†published this date in 1956.

Post Journal - Jamestown, NY: Gwen Johnson: “Ballroom Fall Zoomed Lucille to Stardom - Lucille Ball Reveals Talent Early – ‘Forever Darling’ Lucille Ball demonstrated early . . . home talent musical show (benefit WCA Hospital) here ‘Grand Mid-Winter Circus 28 years ago, that quick perception of a real comedienne . . . zoomed to stardom, when she fell down on a slippery floor during a three-point dance routine . . . State Armory . . dancing that old favorite ‘Varsity Drag’ from ‘Good News’, Broadway hit in the 20’s. . . suddenly bit the dust . . . non-fazed, the orchestra kept on, as did her partners – quick pirouette . . . lept into comedy entrechais not missing beat; caught up with the routine. The audience, thinking ‘spill’ was part of the show, loved it. ‘That’s our Lucille!’ She may never have achieved the luminous zenith in the satire realm of comedy if she hadn’t tripped dancing for the WCA Hospital in 1928,†published this date in 1956.

Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz) marries John Dodds, Literary Agent, this date in 1961.

Desilu Productions', Fractured Flickers, with veteran Lucy supporting cast member, Hans Conried, Host, (who explains what a 'fractured flicker' is; introduces several wacky segments and interviews guests) co-starring this segment, Ursula Andress, which airs on this date in 1964.

Lucille Ball appears on Chicago Tribune TV Week cover this week in 1965.

Post Journal - Jamestown, NY: Round About Town: - Noted by Rambling Reporters of The Post-Journal as They Make Their Rounds in This Area – Bigelow’s Loves Lucy – “That was a nice nationwide plug for Bigelow’s Dept. Store on the Lucille Ball half-hour comedy show last Monday night over WBEN-TV (Ch. 4) Buffalo . . . story called for Jamestown native to get involved with mechanical man . . . display window of a big department store . . . naturally Lucille, who has never forgotten her hometown, decreed that it be called Bigelow’s . . . not the first time she’s had changes made . . . script so home town references can be made – Jamestown High School has been mentioned and the names of many old friends have worked into the dialogue at various times,†published this date in 1965.

Vincent Padula, supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 2 episodes, 1956, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, 1957; as well as Glynis, 1963, dies this date in 1967.

The Lucy Show “Lucy, the Babysitter†- Milt Josefsberg, Ray Singer, writers - long-time friend, Mary Wickes, veteran supporting cast member, injured by an elephant, and Elvia Allman, veteran supporting cast member’s final appearance - [candy factory supervisor from (“I Love Lucyâ€) Job Switching], as well as Sid Gould, and Jonathan Hole - Lucy taking another job and ends up babysitting chimps, airing this date in 1967.

Desi Arnaz IV stars, as Cal Markwell, in CBS’ TV Bing Crosby Production's, The Voyage Of The Yes, co-starring Beverly Garland, Skip Homeir, Della Reese and Dick Powell, Jr., airing this date in 1973.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy, the Sheriffâ€, Lucille Ball-directed, using her grandmother's name, Flora Belle Orcutt, as the Sheriff; written by Fred Fox and Seaman Jacobs; guest co-starring Ross Elliott, Florence Halop, as the old woman, and Mary Wickes, among others, airs this date in 1974.

Lucille Ball appears in the All-Star Super Password Special, this date in 1987.

Virginia O’Brien, Lucille Ball early-career co-star, 1943, 1944, and 1946; dies this date in 2001.

The Jamestown (NY) Post-Journal - Patrick L. Fanelli: “Celoron Completes Memorial Desi Arnaz’ Bandshell†– “Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz IV made a sizeable personal donation, along with several local donations and a State Grant, in recent years, and the Village of Celoron has built a bandshell in Desi Arnaz’ honor, which is in place in the former Celoron Park, a favorite ‘haunt’ of Lucille Ball and in which she spent many hours as a child raised in Celoron. The promised completion of this project was expressed to Desi and Lucille’s children in 2001,†article and photo published this date in 2007.

The Sunday Post-Journal - Jamestown, NY – Business - Sweet Babalu – Jamestown Cafe Holds Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony - by Dennis Phillips – “The Cuban song Babalu, Desi Arnaz' signature song on (“I Love Lucyâ€) is now downtown Jamestown's newest cafe. The Babalu Cafe 14 E. Second Street, next door to The Lucille Ball Little Theater (Ed. - formerly Shea's Theater, as well as 'other' earlier names), held a ribbon-cutting ceremony Wednesday to celebrate the opening of the coffee house/restaurant,†published this date in 2011.

January 17

Irving Brecher, Comedy Scriptwriter, Lucille Ball early film-career, DuBarry Was A Lady, and Best Foot Forward, 1943, as well as Lucille and William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), Ziegfeld Follies, 1946, is born this date in 1914.

Betty White, actress/co-star of The Golden Girls/wife of Allen Ludden, of Password fame, one of Lucille Ball’s favorite games; Lucille's friend; Desilu Productions', You Don't Say, 1963; co-star Lucille, as ringmaster, Circus of the Stars #2, 1977; Happy 100th Birthday, Hollywood, 1987; with Lucille, via archival footage, The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, 1992; host, with Lucille and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), via archival footage, Funny Women of Television, 1991; 50 Years of Funny Females, 1995, Lucille honored through archival footage; appears with Lucie Arnaz; CBS at 75, 2003, appears - archival footage of Lucille and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), TV’s Greatest Sidekicks, 2004; appears with Lucie and Desi Arnaz, IV, The 5th Annual TV Land Awards, the first ‘Legacy of Laughter’ Award, presented by Carol Burnett, Lucille, archival footage; guest appears on PBS', Pioneers of Television Documentary – archival footage of (“I Love Lucyâ€) and Lucille and Desi - 2008, is born this date in 1922.

Sheree North, guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, 1954; The Untouchables, 1963; The Greatest Show on Earth, 1964; as well as Mannix, 1968, is born this date in 1932.

Lucille Ball appears, as Lillian Temple, a cynical actress in RKO Radio Pictures, Chatterbox, co-starring Anne Shirley and Phillips Holmes, is released ths date in 1936.

Jerry Fogel, guest star, Desilu Productions’ The Mothers-in-Law, as Jerry Buell, 56 episodes, 1967-1969; co-stars with Desi Arnaz, 4 episodes, “A Night to Forget†1967, “The Hombre Who Came to Dinner: Parts 1 and 2†also co-starring Desi Arnaz IV, and “The Matador Makes a Movie†also co-starring Desi Arnaz IV, 1968, as well as Lucille Ball's guest star, (“Here’s Lucyâ€), co-starring Lucie Arnaz, 1973, is born this date in 1936.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), appears in Universal Pictures' Six Lessons from Madame LaZonga, as Beheegan, co-starring Eddie Acuff, Shemp Howard, Eddie Quillan, Jimmy Wakely, among many others, released on this date in 1941.

Post Journal - Jamestown, NY: Lucille Ball Coming Here for Grandfather’s Rites: - “Funeral services for Fred Hunt, former local resident . . . died at home, January 9, in Beverly Hills, born, Jamestown, 1865, a chiropractor in California – Lucille and mother, DeDe, bury beloved grandfather, ‘Daddy’ in family plot. During her Jametown visit, Lucille stands in front of her Celoron early childhood home, and learned her beloved early teacher, Mrs. Appleby, had moved away; also visits friends in Jamestown,†published this date in 1944.

Motion Picture Center (MPC), a puzzle whose final piece came together when it was announced: . . . “the Arnazes, as individuals, assumed voting control of MPC for an undisclosed amount (actually $750,000), with Joe Justman continuing as President, and board members: the Arnazes; Martin Leeds; the Lutheran Aid Society, which ‘has renewed its mortgage on the property under a refinancing set-up’ - Desilu continues to rent space for its film properties,†this date in 1955.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra, perform (“I Love Lucyâ€), “First Stop,†funny happenings on the drive to California, the crew's first venture outside the studio for filming location footage; with guest cast member, Olin Howlin, as George Skinner, airing this date in 1955.

Post Journal - Jamestown, NY: “Announcement of Voting for the Queen, by popular vote, with announcement of prize list, and Homecoming Queen crowning at the Gala Dance for Lucy & Desi visit February 6 - State Armory,†published this date in 1956.

Post Journal - Jamestown, NY: “Send Photo to Post-Journal by Saturday – Girls – Here’s Chance to Become Queen for Lucille Ball Event – Thrilling Role Waits Lucky Local Girl –Homecoming Queen Wins Wardrobe Fit for Rank,†published this date in 1956.

Desilu Productions' Cavalcade of America, “The Prison Withinâ€, co-starring, among others, Joi Lansing and Don Rickles, and Gloria Talbot, Don W. Sharpe, many-year associate of Desilu, Executive Producer, second of seven episodes produced by Desilu, airs this date in 1956.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, having purchased RKO Studios in late 1957, return to find a forelorn warehouse; on which Studio memories of January 1935 ‘Roberta’ set remain for Lucille; they put up a “Desilu Studios†in huge black letters on the silver water tower still standing, and go to work refurbishing, ultimately forming the Desilu Playhouse, in 1958.

Love, Lucy, by Lucille Ball – “We signed the final escrow papers purchasing RKO. As I signed away 6 million-plus dollars, my hand shook; but, realized money becomes an exchange of legal documents. I never saw much real cash, and I never really felt rich, eitherâ€, told this date in 1958.

Variety announces: “ . . . Desilu and CBS are in negotiations for a new Lucy series for the 1962-63 season, the deal contingent on the delivery of an okay pilot, and the same Monday night berth given (“I Love Lucyâ€) in the past, this date in 1962.

The Lucy Show “Lucy Bags a Bargainâ€, but has to get a job to pay for it, with Lucy veterans, Elvia Allman, Sid Gould, Bennett Green, Jonathan Hole, Barbara Morrison, and Amzie Strickland, among others, airing this date in 1966.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy’s Replacementâ€, written by Fred S. Fox and Seaman Jacobs, recurring theme of Lucy attempting to get fired and/or re-hired, has Lucy getting a job in a steno pool, after being replaced by a computer, co-starring Phil Vandervort and R. G. Brown, airing this date in 1972.

Desi Arnaz, IV, appears on stage, Miami's Coconut Grove Playhouse in I Love My Wife, on this date in 1986.

All That – an episode with a sketch called I Luv Lucy, with Amanda Bynes, as Lucy; Victor Cohn Lopez, as Ricky; Kenan Thompson, as Fred; and Lori Beth Denberg, as Ethel, premieres on this date in 1998.

Richard Crenna, guest co-star, (“I Love Lucyâ€) 1952; guest, Desilu Productions’ Our Miss Brooks, 1952-55; again in 1956; star, Desilu Studios-filmed The Real McCoys, (159 episodes, 1957-1963), guest, Desilu Studios-filmed The Andy Griffith Show 8 episodes, 1963-64; guest, Desilu Productions' Vacation Playhouse 1965; directs Desilu Productions' Vacation Playhouse, 1965; appears with Desi Arnaz, IV, Red Sky at Morning 1971; appears with Lucille, CBS: On the Air 1978; (“I Love Lucyâ€) 50th Anniversary Special 2001, and, archivally, The Desilu Story 2003, dies this date in 2003.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY: – Information Center – In Years Past – 50 Years Ago: “Girls between 17 and 25, single, are asked to enter Homecoming Queen Contest, sponsored by the Retail Merchants Association of the Jamestown Area Chamber of Commerce. From those entries, five will be selected by a panel of judges representing that Association, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios and The Post-Journal, and announced in its January 25 issue, after which public balloting will start. The ‘chosen’ girl will reign in regal splendor – with a complete wardrobe befitting all her Queenly duties – as the City’s official hostess during the two-day visit of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz next month,†published this date in 2006.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY: by Joni Blackman, Director, Fenton History Center: “Area Attractions To Open Their Doors†– “The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center, in conjunction with other Jamestown organizations and The Jamestown Area Chamber of Commerce, are hosting a ‘free admissions’ day Saturday, to encourage local residents to take advantage of area attractions, published this date in 2007.

The Latest from Everything Lucy website – “Museum Opens Doors For Free Weekend†– “The third annual ‘Doors Open Jamestown’, a free day at local museums and attractions, happens Saturday, January 19th. The Jamestown Area Chamber of Commerce is hosting the event, along with the Fenton History Center, Jamestown Audubon Society and Nature Center, Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center, Robert H. Jackson Center, Roger Tory Peterson Institute, Reg Lenna Civic Center and Chautauqua Sportsâ€, posted this date in 2008.

The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY: – 1500 Misc. Help Wanted Classified Section – “First Day – Executive Director – The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center, Inc., of Jamestown NY, has an immediate opening for an Executive Director to lead this Center in its mission to preserve and celebrate the legacy of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz and enrich the world through the healing powers of love and laughterâ€, published this date in 2009.

Desi Arnaz IV stars at the Sundance Film Festival, Dimension Films', Hell Ride, performing “She's So Far Out, She's Inâ€, and co-starring, David Carradine, Dennis Hopper, and Michael Madsen, among others, released this date in 2009.

January 18

Oliver Hardy, Lucille Ball friend and mentor, appears, archivally, with Lucille, Hollywood Without Make-Up, 1963, The Big Parade of Comedy, 1964; himself, archivally, honored in a tribute A Salute to Stan Laurel, hosted by Dick Van Dyke, November 23, 1965, with Lucille and a cast of many; as well as Legends of Comedy, 1992, and That's Entertainment! III, 1994, is born this date in 1892.

Fehmer (Chick) Chandler, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, United Artists’, Blood Money, 1933; William Frawley (Fred Mertz), co-star, The Bride Came C.O.D., 1941; supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1955, guest, Desilu Productions’, Cavalcade of America, 1956, December Bride, 1957, The Ann Sothern Show, 1960, Glynis, 1963, as well as present with Lucille, for a memorial tribute to himself, at The 61st Annual Academy Awards, 1989, is born this date in 1905.

Danny Kaye, appearing with Vivian Vance, (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz), in a 1941 film, Let’s Face It; Lucille Ball friend, appears, The Danny Kaye Show with Lucille Ball, 1962; guest, Desilu Productions’, Here’s Hollywood, 2 episodes, 1962; Lucille's guest co-star, The Lucy Show, 1964; CBS Salutes Lucy: The First 25 Years, 1976, as well as appears with Lucille, archivally, Entertaining the Troops, 1994, is born this date in 1913.

Walter Janowitz, guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, My Favorite Martian, 1964, Hogan's Heroes, 7 episodes, 1965-67; as well as Lucille Ball guest, (“Here's Lucyâ€), 1969; is born this date in 1913.

Lucille Ball and mother, DeDe, with Public Relations representative of MGM, return to Jamestown, NY for funeral service and burial in the family plot of her beloved ‘Daddy’ grandfather, DeDe’s father, Fred, who died in LA January 9th, age 78, this day in 1944.

Jerome “Curly†Howard, one of (The Three Stooges), Lucille Ball early-film career co-star, 1934, dies this date in 1952.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra record the background music for (“I Love Lucyâ€), Episode #20, an episode featuring Richard Crenna, as Arthur Morton, who falls in love with Lucy, filmed this date in 1952.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Ricky Minds The Baby†is filmed without a live audience, feared the abundant use of the Mayer twins, Joseph and Michael, as (Little Ricky) might cause delays and many retakes – later shown to an audience and laughs recorded for the broadcast, which revolves around Ricky’s vacation from the Club, airing this date in 1954.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appear on NY News Coloroto Magazine cover, published this date in 1959.

The Lucy Show “Lucy Goes to Vegas†- Bob O’Brien, writer - in which Viv (Vivian Vance/Lucy's Ethel Mertz) has won a trip for two to Vegas and takes Lucy; but, they have no money to gamble with and concoct a scheme as is their usual technique, with Lucy veteran supporting cast members, Sid Gould, Bennett Green, Lou Nicoletti, and Carole Cook, airing this date in 1965.

Love, Lucy, by Lucille Ball: “We were lucky all the way. The first four shows put us among the top 10 on television. Our 20th episode, “The Young Fans,†with Richard Crenna, made us number one on the air and there we stayed for three wild, incredible years,†that episode filmed this date in 1952, dictated to Betty Hoffman in 20+ hours of recorded interview(s) over a period of two years (ultimately published in 1996), discovered in Lucille Ball’s attorney, Ed. Perlstein’s files, postmarked 1966.

Lucille Ball, in NY for meetings with CBS executives, takes a “bow†from the audience of CBS’ The Ed Sullivan Show, this date in 1970.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy and the Raffleâ€, directed by Ross Martin; written by Ray Singer - Kim wins a sports car, and she and Lucy hold a raffle to pay the taxes, a script not unlike (“I Love Lucyâ€) “Ricky’s European Booking,†with veteran guest co-stars from The Lucy Show, Vanda Barra, John 'Red' Fox, Sid Gould, Paul Picerni, Hayden Rorke, airing this date in 1971.

Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz) appears in ABC’s made-for-television movie, Getting Away From It All, as May Brodey, co-starring, Jim Backus, Larry Hagman, Allen Jenkins, Burgess Meredith, J. Pat O'Malley, among many others, airing this date in 1972.

Lucille Ball to the American Film Institute: “I overheard, at a Hollywood party, unaware I was standing nearby, ‘People like Jack Benny and Lucille Ball should be put away’ was a mortifying reminder of our ages; and found out later it was the new network president of CBS, who wanted to program television to a younger audience,†this date in 1973.

Lucille Ball, just before ending her weekly (“Here’s Lucyâ€), participates in the American Film Institute seminar series, “Dialogue on Film,†and answers questions regarding her career, aided by husband, Gary Morton and her long-time publicist, this date in 1974.

Lucille Ball appears with her long-time friend and many stars on NBC Bob Hope’s 30th Anniversary TV Special, written by Fred S. Fox, starring, among others, Milton Berle, George Burns, Glen Campbell, Rosemary Clooney, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Steve Lawrence/Eydie Gorme, Martha Raye, and Danny Thomas, airing this date in 1981.

Lucille Ball appears via archival footage, That's Dancing, Liza Minnelli, hosting, Henry Mancini, Composer, starring, all via archival footages: June Allyson, Ann-Margret, Fred Astaire, Mikhail Baryshnikov, Ray Bolger, James Cagney, Marge and Gower Champion, Cyd Charisse, Joan Crawford, Dan Dailey, Sammy Davis, Jr., Doris Day, Buddy Ebsen, Clark Gable, Judy Garland, Betty Grable, Cary Grant, Van Johnson, Gene Kelly, Frances Langford, Ruta Lee, Vivian Leigh, Shirley MacLaine, Dean Martin, Una Merkel, Ann Miller, Richardo Montelban, George Murphy, Gene Nelson, Donald O'Connor, Dick and Eleanor Powell, Debbie Reynolds, Ginger Rogers, Mickey Rooney, Frank Sinatra, Red Skelton, James Stewart, Lyle Talbot, Russ Tamblyn, John Travolta, Lana Turner, Bobby Van, Vera-Ellen, Esther Williams, and many others, archivally, airing this date in 1985.

Rusty Hamer, guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, 1954; co-star, Desilu Studios-filmed, Make Room for Daddy, 1953-64, with Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, Vivian Vance and William Frawley (Lucy's Mertzes); Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1958; as well as 'semi-regular', Desilu Studios-filmed, The Joey Bishop Show, 1965, dies this date in 1990.

The costume worn by famed pianist, Liberace - (“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy and Liberace†1970, sells on eBay for $3,051.77, on this day in 2006.

January 19

Jean Stapleton, All in the Family - Archie Bunker’s wife, Edith, 204 episodes between 1968-1979; Lucille Ball early-film career friend; appears with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), My Three Sons, 1964; with Desi Arnaz, The Hollywood Squares, and The 26th Annual Tony Awards, 1972; with Lucille Ball, via archival footages, CBS: On The Air, 1978, appears with Lucille, NBC’s, The First Academy of TV Arts and Sciences Television Hall of Fame, 1984; with Lucille, via arhival footages, Funny Women of Television, 1991, The Carol Burnett Show: A Reunion, 1993; with Lucille and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), 50 Years of Funny Females, 1995; as well as with Lucille, both archivally, TV's 50 Funniest Phrases, 2009, is born this date in 1923.

Lucille Ball appears, uncredited, in United Artists' film Moulin Rouge, Daryl F. Zanuck, Producer; co-starring Constance Bennett, Eddie Foy, Jr., uncredited; Fuzzy Knight, Barbara Pepper, uncredited, and Franchot Tone; released this date in 1934.

LA Examiner, Louella O. Parsons: “Lucille Ball flew in over the weekend and is testing for Damon Runyon’s Little Pinks – now called It Comes Up Love,†published this date in 1942.

Post Journal Jamestown, NY: “Lucille Ball Arrives ‘Home’; Plans Bond Drive Activity – While still a ‘Goldwyn Girl’, here to attend funeral services for her grandfather, Fred C. Hunt, her ‘daddy’ . . . “During intermittent reporter interviews over the 5 days home, Lucille credited many hometown friends with generous gratitude, including teachers; the Jamestown Players’ Club, which gave her the stage early on and encouraged her; as well as Lucille describing her rise to stardom ‘the opposite of meteoric’; inspiration of folks for her stand-out hair color; and inviting friends, via the newspaper articles, to come see her. Police had to hold back the hundreds of people who showed up to see her off from the Erie Railroad Station in Jamestown. From Jamestown, Miss Ball will leave for Philadelphia to take part in the 4th War Loan Drive being held in that City, speaking to employees of industrial plants in that areaâ€, published this date in 1944.

Lucille Ball appears on NBC Radio’s Screen Guild Theatre, You Belong to Me, co-starring Don Ameche, airing this date in 1950.

Lucille Ball had to drop out of DeMille’s Greatest Show on Earth, due to her second pregnancy, which movie is scheduled to “go before the cameras†this date in 1951.

Lucille Ball appears on Newsweek Magazine cover - “Who Doesn’t Love Lucy?†– “Lucy and Desi faced Jess Oppenheimer, like teenagers with guilty news, of her latest pregnancy. Jess was delighted, as he had been trying to think up ways to ‘refresh’ Lucy’s scheming ways into show business,†published this date in 1953.

Love, Lucy, by Lucille Ball: “Desiderio Alberto Arnaz IV is bornâ€; (James Bacon, reporter, Associated Press, only member of the media in the delivery room), “and I awoke to find Desi sobbing at the foot of my bed, along with seven thousand letters and a thousand telegrams waiting for me. This was only the beginning. The national hysteria lasted for weeks. Counting everything, one million people sent expressions of their good wishes for the new baby,†beyond this day in 1953.

Desiderio Alberto Arnaz IV - the son of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz – actor (many films – TV and Big Screen, by date throughout this document), businessman, musician, husband, father, and guest co-star (“I Love Lucyâ€) “The Ricardos Dedicate a Statueâ€, 1957, the last show of the series; with Lucie, Lucille and Gary Morton, two episodes of Password,1964; appears in Dean Martin film, Murderers’ Row, 1966, as himself, musical trio, Dino, Desi & Billy; guest, Desilu Productions’, The Mothers-in-Law, 2 episodes, 1968; co-star, with Lucille and Lucie in The Lucy Show series – 5 episodes; co-star on (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 19 episodes – 1968-1972; stars, Mantrap, 1971, as himself; star, Marco – as Marco Polo, 1973; California My Way, and Billy Two Hats,1974, as himself/host; TV film I Love Liberty, (nominated for 3 primeime Emmys), as himself, 1982; guest, All-Star Party for Lucille Ball, 1984; star, Automan, 13 episodes, as Walter Nebicher, 1983-1984; star, Our Time, 1985, appears, (“I Love Lucyâ€): The Very First Show! 1990; Lucy and Desi: A Home Movie, 1993; as well as (“I Love Lucyâ€) 50th Anniversary Special, 2001; is born this date in 1953.

Eclipsing President Eisenhower’s inauguration – (44 million viewers) – an Inauguration party held by Colonel Robert R. McCormick, publisher of Chicago Tribune, came to a temporary halt while everybody watched (“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy Goes to the Hospital,†in silence, (reported as Desi’s favorite episode - he claims differently in “A Bookâ€) - this date in 1953.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra, perform (“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy Goes to the Hospital†(Lucy Ricardo gives birth to Little Ricky – baby - James John Ganzer) every word and movement carefully rehearsed for maximum hilarity, with Ricky’s Tropicana sequence filmed the following week, due to set change difficulties - episode is “the most-watched sitcom ever - remains such until the 1960’s, with veteran Lucy supporting cast members, Bennett Green, (Desi Arnaz’ stand-in), Charles Lane, Peggy Rea William R. Hamel, Barbara Pepper, Ruth Perrott, and Hazel Pierce (Lucille Ball stand-in), airs this date in 1953.

NY Times, by Jack Gould: Hollywood, Calif., Jan. 19 (UP) - “Lucille Ball Adheres to Television Script: Comedienne Gives Birth to 8+lb Pound Boy,†article pointing out that Lucy Ricardo giving birth to a boy in an episode (“I Love Lucyâ€) filmed the previous November just before Lucille took a maternity leave, she and Desi Arnaz were fully prepared if the child had been another daughter, the ‘writers will have to write it off as artistic license,’ and ‘post-birth’ baby episodes were filmed earlier, in the summer, before Lucille looked like an expectant mother,†published this date in 1953.

Lucille Ball appears on Time Magazine cover, this date in 1953.

Post Journal, Jamestown, NY: Lucy’s Baby Has A Birthday – (AP Wirephoto) – Desiderio Alberto Arnaz IV, born a year ago today, gets a birthday kiss from his mother, former Jamestowner Lucille Ball, in Hollywood. The famous baby, whose birthday had been anticipated and filmed ahead of time on his parents’ TV show, was born at 8 A.M. a year ago today in actuality and 12 hours later, over television via the ‘canned’ script, published this date in 1954.

Desilu Productions’, Shower of Stars “Quentin Reynolds Writing the Life of Jack Bennyâ€, William Lundigan, Host, Jack Benny, George Burns, and Shirley MacLaine, airing this date in 1956.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy Meets Charles Boyer,†an episode with Lucy hiring Boyer, to impersonate himself, to make Ricky jealous, filmed this date in 1956.

NY Herald Tribune – “CBS, wanting to reach the greatest number of viewers was met with: ‘Broads, bosoms and fun’, Newton N. Minow, Chairman of Federal Communications Commission’s, concern and disapproval and viewing current television as a ‘vast wasteland’ . . .†published this date in 1964.

Desilu Productions’, The Mothers-In-Law, “And Baby Makes Four†regular cast, as well as Lucy veteran supporting cast member, Vanda Barra, airs this date in 1969.

Hal March, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnazes family friend and veteran supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€) 1952, 1953; Desilu Productions’ 1954; and The Lucy Show 1966, dies this date in 1970.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy and Lawrence Welkâ€, guest co-starring Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) and Lawrence Welk - Lucy has told Viv in a letter she’s friends with Art Linkletter – Viv comes for a visit - a ‘copy’ of Harpo Marx segment from (“I Love Lucyâ€), with Lucie Arnaz, as Kim Carter, airing this date in 1970.

Desi Arnaz organized a party for Desi IV, on the occasion of his 18th birthday, held at the Luau Restaurant, this date in 1971.

Desi Arnaz IV stars as Walter Nebicher, 20th Century Fox TV’s, Automan “Flashes and Ashesâ€, starring Chuck Wagner, as Automan, Robert Lansing and Gerald S. O'Loughlin; Desi's partner - Dino, Desi & Billy combo - Billy Hinsche, composer, theme music, airing this date in 1984.

Norma Varden, Lucille Ball film co star, 1950; veteran supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€) 1953, Desilu Production’s, Willy, 1954; Those Whiting Girls, 1955; and The Lucy Show, 1964, dies this date in 1989.

Hedy Lamarr, with Lucille Ball, 1943, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, 1957; with Lucille, 1982, with Lucille and Desi Arnaz Hollywood Out-takes and Rare Footage, and American Masters: Judy Garland By Myself, 1983; with Lucille, via archival footage, Entertaining the Troops, and That's Entertainment! III, 1994; as well as Ziegfeld Girl Intro, 2004, dies this date in 2000.

Desi Arnaz IV, host, ESPN Sports Century Documentary, with guest Dorothy Hamill, and many other big-name ice-skating sports stars, airs this date in 2002.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Patrick I. Fanelli: Celoron Moving Ahead with Bandshell – “It’s time we started thinking about raising money for the Bandshell,†stated Mayor Tom Bartolo. “Lucie Arnaz and former Celoron Mayor, Rick Slagle, reportedly began the project honoring the Arnaz children’s father, Desi Arnaz, in 2001, during a visit to Jamestown, honoring her parents, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. The project has remained dormant, with small fund-raisers; and, in 2005, Lucie and Desi Arnaz IV, donated $20,000 of their ‘personal funds’ to that end. The design the Village is interested in will cost between $40,000-$45,000, and Village officials want to complete the five-year project by this summer, in time for the Summer Concert Series,†published this date in 2006.

Tony Franciosa, guest co-star, Desilu Productions', The Greatest Show on Earth, 1963; as well as with Lucille Ball and Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars II, 1985, dies this date in 2006.

SFGate - home of the San Francisco Chronicle - I Love Ethel - A Vivian Vance Archive Uncovered - The Collective Mind - by Bob Bragman - “Many of the photos and objects in this gallery belonged to Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) and have never been seen by the public. There are photos from her personal scrapbook along with newspaper and magazine clippings that span her career. There are also photos of objects remaining from her estate, including a pair of chairs given to her by Tallulah Bankhead; a photo of the Lyndon Johnson First Family; an autographed photo of Maruice Chevalier; and one with Vivian and William Frawley (Lucy's The Mertzes) greeting President Eisenhower.†posted this date in 2010.

January 20

George Burns, co-star with wife, Gracie Allen, The George Burns & Gracie Allen Show, 24 episodes, 1950-1958; Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz friend; guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, 1956; guest, Here’s Hollywood, 1962; Lucille's guest co-star, The Lucy Show,1966, (“Here’s Lucyâ€), with Lucille, Swing Out, Sweet Land, and The David Frost Show, 1970; with Lucille, Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Jack Benny But Were Afraid to Ask, again, The David Frost Show, 1971; with Lucille, as ringmaster, and Lucie Arnaz, Circus of the Stars, #2, 1977; with Lucille, as Host, Part II, CBS: On The Air, 1978; with Lucille Dean Martin Celebrity Roast: Jimmy Stewart; with Lucille, Happy Birthday, Bob, 1978; with Lucille, The Bob Hope 30th Anniversary Show, 1981; with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; with Lucille, 4th Annual TV Guide Special, 1983; with Lucille, Unrehearsed Antics of the Stars, 1984; with Lucille, Night of 100 Stars II, 1985; with Lucille, A Beverly Hills Christmas, 1987; with Lucille, as Hostess, America’s Tribute to Bob Hope, 1988; part of The Golden Age of Television, Legends of Comedy, 1992; with Lucille, via archival footage, and Lucie Arnaz, Bob Hope: The First 90 Years, 1993; with Lucille, via archival footage, 50 Years of Funny Females, 1995; with Lucille, as ‘roastee’ guest of honor, via archival footage, The Best of the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts: George Burns, 1998; with Lucille, both via archival footage, Cavett Remembers the Comic Legends, 2006, is born this date in 1896.

Rolfe Sedan, veteran of more than 275 films, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, Kid Millions, 1934; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) Here is My Heart, 1934, Ship Cafe, 1935, Double or Nothing and High, Wide and Handsome, 1937, and Golden Gloves, 1940; guest, Desilu Productions' December Bride, 1954, 1955, 1958; Desilu Studios-filmed, The Adventures of Jim Bowie 1956; guest cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1956; appears with Lucille, Jack Benny's Birthday Special, 1969; is born this date in 1896.

Norma Varden, Lucille Ball co-star, Paramount’s Fancy Pants, 1950; supporting cast member (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1953, guest, Desilu Productions’, Willy, 1955; Those Whiting Girls, 1955; The Ann Sothern Show, 1960; and The Lucy Show, 1964, is born this date in 1898.

DeForest Kelley, co-star, Desilu Productions’, The Untouchables, 1961; stars, Desilu Studios-filmed, Police Story, 1967; as well as star, Star Trek, 76 episodes, 1966-1969, is born this date in 1920.

Arte Johnson, Lucille Ball friend, star of Laugh-In; guest, Desilu Productions’, December Bride, 1956, The Greatest Show on Earth, 1964; with Lucille, 4th Super Comedy Bowl 1, and The David Frost Show, 1971; as well as guest co-star, “(“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1974, is born this date in 1929.

Dorothy Provine, guest, Desilu Productions', The Texan, 1959; as well as appears with Lucille Ball, Bob Hope's Overseas Christmas Tours: Around the World with the Troops - 1941-1972 1980; is born this date in 1935.

Hollywood Citizen News: “Lucille Ball, brought to Hollywood by Samuel Goldwyn for a mannequin role in an Eddie Cantor film, probably will play a feminine lead in The Flying Yorkshireman, Cantor’s next picture at RKO-Radio,†published this date in 1939.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), appears in Paramount Pictures' Ambush, as Inspector J. L. Weber, co-starring Broderick Crawford, Richard Denning, Olin Howland, Lloyd Nolan, among many others, released on this date in 1939.

LA Evening Herald Express, Harrison Carroll: “Lucille Ball is out here to obtain RKO’s consent to do more personal appearances with Desi Arnaz before she makes another picture. Her last film, Valley of the Sun, as yet to be released,†published this date in 1942.

[Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude to Lucille and Desi’s performances, moving them toward the now-world-famous pairing of “I Love Lucy†which made history and will perpetuate.] LA - Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appeared in a one-week engagement, doing a fifteen-minute act (one of four acts), in hour between screenings of “Smilin’ Through,†a movie – with Desi singing; then, the two of them singing together, this date in 1942.

Post Journal, Jamestown, NY: “Welcome To Jamestown – Acting Mayor, Carl Fagerstrom, presents film star, Lucille Ball, with a large bouquet of red roses on behalf of the city at the War Bond meeting in the Hotel Jamestown, where Miss Ball spoke to the leaders of the Fourth War Loan Drive,†published this date in 1944.

Post Journal, Jamestown, NY: “Aids Bond Campaign – Screen actress, Lucille Ball, stepped in the booth at Hotel Jamestown yesterday to help boost the sale of War Bonds and Stamps. Miss Ball was quite concerned about the fact that she might interfere with a customer in line to buy a Bond,†published this date in 1944.

Post Journal, Jamestown, NY: “Lucille Ball Confident City Will Hit Bond Goal – Screen Star Addresses Rally, Accepts Roses, Halts Traffic in Appearances – Lucille, unofficially opened this City’s 4th War Loan Drive when she responded in true ‘home-town girl’ spirit to a request of bond officials for an impromptu appearance at a luncheon meeting in Hotel Jamestown. Miss Ball is a member of the Hollywood Victory Committee’s galaxy of stars who will help boost bond sales throughout the nation during the next three weeks. The screen star will also appear in Washington, D.C., among the guests at the President’s Birthday Ball, continuing her campaigning activites with a boost for the ‘March of Dimes’ infantile paralysis fund; then, on to NYC for radio appearances,†published this date in 1944.

Post Journal, Jamestown, NY: “Hollywood Life is Quiet, Lucille’s Publicity Man Says – ‘Hollywood is more circumspect that the average small town,’ William Golden, Lucille Ball’s press agent, said today – ‘practically all great names live more normal lives than other Americans’ . . . “ published this date in 1944.

Post Journal, Jamestown, NY: “Youngsters on Warpath for Lucille’s Autograph - . . . camping on the doorstep of the Hotel Jamestown,†published this date in 1944.

Desi Arnaz and the Desi Arnaz Orchestra record for RCA Victor, in Hollywood, California, “Peanut Vendorâ€, “Cuba Pete†and “Green Eyesâ€, this date in 1947.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear, My Favorite Husband episode #72, with veteran supporting cast member, Hal March, airs this date in 1950.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear My Favorite Husband – episode #115, with veteran (“I Love Lucyâ€) supporting cast member, Shirley Mitchell, airs this date in 1951.

[Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude to Lucille and Desi’s performances pre-“I Love Lucy†which made history and will perpetuate.] “Lucy Promotes Desi†(during closing credits of CBS Radio’s My Favorite Husband), Lucille Ball interrupts announcer to promote the debut the following day of Desi Arnaz’ new CBS Radio’s Your Tropical Trip, this date in 1951.

Jamestown (NY) Post Journal: Lucille Ball Mother of Son – Hollywood, (AP) – The Lucille Ball baby, awaited by her television fans throughout the nation, arrived yesterday. Desi Arnaz: “It’s a boy. Now, we have everythin’,†published this date in 1953.

NY Times – Lucille Ball Adheres to Television Script: Comedienne Gives Birth to 81/2 Pound Boy†– James Bacon, AP reporter, only media represented, or allowed, in the delivery room, published this date in 1953.

While 29 million people witness President Eisenhower’s swearing-in ceremony on American Television, 44 million tuned in to watch “Little Ricky’s 'birth' (‘I Love Lucy’)†the night before - a television first: a 71.7 Nielsen rating, this date in 1953.

Desilu Productions’, Shower of Stars “Show Stoppersâ€, with William Lundigan, Host, Art Gilmore, Announcer, David Rose, Music Conductor; Gene Nelson, Choreographer, co-starring Betty and Jane Kean, Red Skelton, and Ethel Merman, among others, airs date in 1955.

Post Journal, Jamestown, NY: “Lucille Ball‘s Arrival to Be All-Jamestown Event – Helicopters are being furnished by Bell Aircraft Corporation, whose secretary-treasurer is a former Jamestowner and schoolmate of Lucille, as well as Lawrence Bell, President of Bell Aircraft, who will accompany the celebrated stars to Jamestown. Piloting will be another Jamestown native, and CBS TV camera, press and radio will be arrayed at the arrival point to record the whole event,†published this date in 1956.

Post Journal, Jamestown, NY: “Here’s Last Chance – Queen Contest Entries Close Saturday Noon – Tomorrow is deadline and photo entries are due at the Post-Journal by noon,†published this date in 1956.

Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Lineup, “Seven Sinnersâ€, starring Clu Gulager, among others; directed by William Asher, edited by Dann Cahn, airs this date in 1960.

The Lucy Show “Chris Goes Steady†- guest co-starring Michael J. Pollard, playing Mooney’s son and Kim’s steady boyfriend, airs this date in 1964.

Desilu Productions', Mannix, “Deadfall: Part 1â€, starring Mike Connors, as Joe Mannix, with Joseph Campanella, Beverly Garland, Nicholas Georgiade, Morgan Jones, among others, airs this date in 1968.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy Goes on Strike†with veteran supporting cast member, Mary Wickes, long-time friend of Lucille Ball, in her first of many appearances in this series, as well as Lucy veterans, Whit Bissel and John 'Red' Fox, which has Lucy protesting no salary raise from Harry, with Lucie Arnaz, as Kim Carter, airing this date in 1969.

Lucille Ball appears, in a co-produced and conceived by Cy Coleman CBS’ Emmy-Award-winning Special, with Shirley MacLaine: Shirley MacLaine: Gypsy in My Soul, special also wins a DGA Award for directorial achievement of the musical variety, filmed in New York, with multiple cameras; but, no audience, airs this date in 1976.

Johhny Weissmuller, of Tarzan fame; guest co-star, Desilu Productions’, Here’s Hollywood, 1961; with Lucille Ball, via archival footage, Hollywood Without Make-Up, 1963; dies this date in 1984.

Desi Arnaz IV stars, as Michael Porter, in Andy Griffith's Matlock, “The Rat Pack,†starring Andry Griffith, and co-starring Tim Busfield, Greg Evigan, and Linda Purl, among others, airing this date in 1987.

Barbara Stanwyck, Lucille Ball early film-career friend, of The Thorn Birds and Colbys fame; star and hostess, Desilu Studios-filmed, The Barbara Stanwyck Show, 1961 - Primetime Emmy, 1961, 31 episodes, 1960-1961, guest star, The Joey Bishop Show, 1961; Desilu Productions’, The Untouchables, two episodes, 1962, 1963; as well as with Lucille, The American Film Institute Salute to Henry Fonda, 1978, dies this date in 1990.

Alec Hirshfeld, Broadway and Hollywood caricaturist, completed many artworks of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz from 1943 until at least 1998, at age 99, dies on this day in 2003.

Eagle Rock Entertainment – Public Broadcast Service (PBS) – Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appear, via archive footage in a documentary: American Masters: TV in Black: The First 50 Years - The black image on television changed American culture. This two-hour program includes rare footage, memorabilia, photographs and exclusive interviews from the actors/writers/producers whose personal journeys created television history. In this extraordinary show, the uniquely Black perspective inside the History of Television is explored and celebrated. From Comedy to Politics to Drama, the role Race plays is unflinchingly probed. Orginal programs and personalities are revealed and remembered. More than forty interviews, original footage and rarely seen photos tell the story-from Amos & Andy to Bernie Mac and everything in between in - TV in Black, is broadcast this date in 2004.

The Post Journal, Jamestown, NY – Information Center – In Years Past – 50 Years Ago: “The helicopter arrival of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz for the world premiere of their new MGM picture, Forever Darling at Dipson’s Palace Theater (now Reg Lenna Civic Center), is turning out to be an all-Jamestown production. The helicopters are being furnished by Bell Aircraft Corporation, which is taking more than just ordinary interest in the gala affair. William G. Gisel, secretary-treasurer of the company, is a former Jamestowner and schoolmate of Lucille. Pilot of the helicopter flying Lucille and Desi to Jamestown will be former Jamestowner, Floyd Carlson,†this date in 2006.

January 21

J. Carrol Naish, co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1939, 1940; appears with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, Meet the Stars #6: Stars at Play, 1941; guest, Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of Stars, 1950, with Lucille, Desi, Vivian Vance and William Frawley (The Mertzes) Stars in the Eye, 1952; guest, Desilu Productions', Whirlybirds (unknown year), The Texan,1958; guest, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1958; Desilu Productions', The Untouchables, 1960, and 17 episodes of Guestward Ho!, 1960-1961; appears with Vivian (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) Desilu Productions' Guestward Ho! 1960; with Lucille and Desi, all archivally, Hollywood Out-takes and Rare Footage, 1983; as well as with Lucille, archivally, That's Entertainment! III, 1994; is born this date in 1896.

John Doucette, Lucille Ball co-star, Columbia’s The Fuller Brush Girl, 1950; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), Lemon Drop Kid, 1951; with Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), Rancho Notorious, 1952; guest, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959; Lucille's guest (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1971, is born this date in 1921.

Donna Reed, of Dallas fame, appears with Lucille Ball, Thousands Cheer, 1943, Hollywood Without Make-Up, 1963, as well as Funny Women of Television (both via archival footage) 1991, is born this date in 1921.

Telly Savalas, of Kojak fame; guest co-star, Desilu Productions’, The Untouchables “Jack Legs’ Diamondâ€, 1960, “The Antidoteâ€, “The Matt Bass Schemeâ€, 1961, and “The Speculatorâ€, 1963, and Here’s Hollywood, 1961; appears with Desi Arnaz, A Bob Hope Special: Joys, 1976; appears with Lucille Ball, as Ringmaster, and Lucie Arnaz, Circus of the Stars #2, 1977; co-host with Lucille, Part 1: CBS: On the Air†1978; appears, as Lt. Thurston, with Desi Arnaz IV, as Det. Clint Morgan, Fake-Out (aka Nevada Heat), 1982; with Lucille The 38th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, 1986; as well as with Lucille, at #3, via archival footage, 200 Greatest Pop Culture Icons, 2003, is born this date in 1922.

Lucille Ball has a lead role, thanks to mentor and drama coach at RKO, Lela Rogers (Ginger Rogers’ mother), and Producer Pandro Berman, in a Broadway-bound musical comedy Hey, Diddle Diddle, a show never making it to Broadway, which opens at the historic McCarter Theater, Princeton, NJ, this date in 1937.

Post Journal, Jamestown, NY: “Ardent Fans Trail Lucille to Cemetery – 25 Jamestown school children invaded the Lakeview Cemetery yesterday, hoping to catch a glimpse of Lucille Ball (in Jamestown for Grandfather ‘Daddy’ Hunt’s burial), as well as gathering in front of the Funeral Home . . . . †published this date in 1944.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear on CBS Radio, 30-minute Situation Comedy, My Favorite Husband “Marriage License,†– episode #28, with veteran supporting cast members, Frank Nelson, Ted DeCorsica, and Doris Singleton - the basis for (“I Love Lucyâ€) #26, “Marriage License,†- interesting real-world similarities between Lucille’s life and her role in film; i.e., always dreaming and plotting; her elopement in 1940; as in Dream Girl, 1947; and later, two My Favorite Husband episodes, “Anniversary†1949, and “Marriage License†1950; discovering name misspelling and refusal of marital legitimacy until renewing of vows; which episode airs this date in 1949.

Hollywood Citizen News, Sheilah Graham: “Lucille Ball is thanking heaven that Desi Arnaz is safe and sound. When Desi’s plane was to land in Chicago a couple of days ago, another plane flew in and landed on the same strip. Desi’s plane, in avoiding the other plane, gave passengers quite a shaking, and Lucille dashes east to spend a couple of days before starring in Miss Grant Takes Richmond,†published this date in 1949.

[‘Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude to Lucille and Desi’s performances/appearances/acquaintances/plans/ideas, moving them toward the now-world-famous pairing of “I Love Lucy†which made history and will perpetuate.] Desi Arnaz and Orchestra, having recently closed at Chi Chi Night Club, Palm Springs, and Desi, under contract with CBS, debuts a new Radio Program, Your Tropical Trip (name changed from Earn Your Vacation – a one-half music, one-half quiz show) hosted by a new young comic, Johnny Carson, and “emceed†by Desi Arnaz, airing this date in 1951.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy Plays Cupidâ€, guest co-starring Edward Everett Horton and Bea Benaderet, a regular on Lucille’s My Favorite Husband radio show - episode is based on “Valentine’s Day,†telling of Bea, (Miss Lewis) 'crush' on the grocer, (Edward Everett), Mr. Ritter, airing this date in 1952.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Ricky Loses His Temper†an episode with Lucy betting Ricky about ‘hat buying’ and his losing his temper, filmed this date in 1954.

Post Journal, Jamestown, NY: “In The Heart, Fight – Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz have been named co-chairmen of the Heart Fund Volunteers by the American Heart Fund which will hold its annual drive February 1 through 28. The popular TV stars will lead an army of volunteers who will work for the Heart Fund throughout the month,†published this day in 1955.

CBS’ The Lucy Show – 30-minutes, black & white – this is not a misprint, nor Miss Ball’s classic 1960’s sitcom. The re-runs of (“I Love Lucyâ€) on Sundays had done so well for CBS they decide to add this extra night of (“I Love Lucyâ€) re-runs on Saturdays in the very early evening. New graphics are made to reflect the change of title and sponsor this date in 1956.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Little Ricky Gets a Dog†- Lucy is forced to hide him due to restrictions in the lease, even though Mrs. Trumbell's cat had been mentioned, at least once, in the past, co-starring John Emery and Keith Thibodeau, as Little Ricky, airing this date in 1957.

Cecil B. DeMille, one of Lucille Ball’s mentors and early movie employer, dies this date in 1959.

The Lucy Show “Lucy Becomes a Reporterâ€, wherein Lucy gets a job on a newspaper, and Viv's old boyfriend comes to town, airing this date in 1963.

Desilu Productions', The Greatest Show on Earth “Big Man From Nairobiâ€, starring Jack Palance, as Johnny Slate, co-starring Ellen Burstyn, Sarah Selby, and Cornell Wilde, among others, airs this date in 1964.

Desi Arnaz’ Productions - Desi Arnaz and Elliott Lewis, directors; executive-produced by Desi - United Artists’ - NBC TV, The Mothers-in-Law, “The Hombre Who Came to Dinner, Part 2,†creator, and written by Lucy writers Madelyn Davis and Bob Carroll, Jr.; with regular cast, Eve Arden, Kay Ballard, 56 episodes each; Roger C. Carmel, 30 episodes; Jerry Fogel, Herb Rudley, 56 episodes each; Richard Deacon, 20 episodes (replaces Carmel); and Deborah Walley, 56 episodes; as well as Desi Arnaz, starring as Rapael del Gado, 4 episodes, and Desi Arnaz, IV, as Tommy, and other characters, 3 episodes, airing this date in 1968.

Lucille Ball appears on ABC’s, (Make Room for Granddaddy: “Lucy Carter, ([The Lucy Show] Houseguestâ€) - Danny Thomas, Executive Producer - Desilu Studios-filmed The Danny Thomas Show - Make Room for Daddy, Richard Crenna (Our Miss Brooks), producing this episode – regular Thomas cast, with Lucy, as houseguest, in which Lucy is confused about Danny’s intentions toward her. Co-starring are Lucy veteran supporting cast members, Joseph Mell, Sid Melton and Doris Singleton, airing this date in 1971.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy is N.G. as an R.N.â€, written by Madelyn Davis and Bob Carroll, Jr., with veteran supporting cast members, Mary Jane Croft, given much screen time, and Lucy veteran support cast members, Al Checco and Roy Roberts (as the doctor) in his last television performance prior to his death several weeks later, Lucy cancels a trip to play nursemaid when Kim gets the flu, airing this date in 1974.

Desi Arnaz IV, stars, as Steve Hollis, ABC- TV's The Love Boat, with regular cast members - “Hollywood Royalty/Caper, The/Eyes of Love, The/Masquerade: Parts 1 and 2â€, co-starring Adrienne Barbeau, John J. 'Red' Fox, Fernando Lamas, Michelle Lee, Juliet Mills, Dan Rowan, Larry Storch, and Karen Valentine, among others, airing this date in 1978.

Frank Mitchell, co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) 1941; guest cast member, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour 1959; as well as Desilu Studios-filmed The Red Skelton Show, 1959, 1960, dies this date in 1991.

Jack Lord, of Hawaii 5-0 fame; guest co-star, Desilu Productions’ U.S. Marshal “Sentenced to Death†1958; The Untouchables “The Jake Lingle Killing†1959; Here’s Hollywood 1962; as well as The Greatest Show on Earth “Man in a Hole†1964, dies this date in 1998.

Susan Strasburg co-star in Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse 1958, dies this date 1999.

Lucie Arnaz, co-stars, as Judy Connelly, in Open City Films', Down to You, with Jimmy Kimmel, Ashton Kutcher, Freddie Prinze, Jr., and Henry Winkler, (nominated: 3 Team Choice Awards; one win Choice Actor, Prinze, as well as many others, a young man wins and loses the love of his life, released on this date in 2000.

Peggy Lee, guest, Desilu Productions' The Walter Winchell Show and Shower of Stars “The Flattering World†1956; appears with Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball A Star is Born World Premiere 1954; with Lucille and Desi American Masters: Judy Garland: By Myself 1983; with Lucille Toast of the Town 1961; as well as with Desi, via archival footage, The Nightclub Years 2001, dies this date in 2002.

Lucille Ball appears, archivally, as all stars do, Bob Monkhouse's Comedy Heroes, a compilation of Bob Monkhouse's favorite comedy clips from his lifetime, featuring narration and contributions from fellow professionals; with Bob Hope, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Leslie Nielsen, Jonathan Winters, among others, on this date in 2004.

The Post-Journal Jamestown, NY – “Happy Birthday, Roy – Retired Police Officer Celebrates 90th Birthday†– by Anastasia Conklin: “Roy Peterson grew up across the street from Lucille Ball’s grandparents, with whom she lived for a time, and since her strict grandparents would not allow her to read the Sunday comics, she would visit Roy’s home to read themâ€. Roy, one of the police escorts, was head of security for Lucille and Desi in 1956 when they came to Jamestown for the World Premiere of their movie Forever Darling, and celebrated his birthday in the Tropicana Room, Desilu Playhouse, with many friends and family present, published this date in 2007.

Lucille Ball appears via archival footage, in Make 'Em Laugh:The Funny Business of America, with Kaye Ballard, Buster Keaton, Joan Rivers, Tom and Dick Smothers, Dick Van Dyke, and Jonathan Winters, among others, airing this date in 2009.

The Latest From Everything Lucy Website – LA Times by Valerie J. Nelson - (“I Love Lucyâ€) Trivia Book Writer Has Died - “Bart Andrews, a prolific author of TV trivia tomes, having written The ('I Love Lucy') Book, released in 1985, revised and expanded version of a 1976 book he co-wrote: Lucy & Ricky & Fred & Ethel, an early definitive appreciation of the classic sitcom, has died, December 26, Hollywood, at 64 years of age. He was the first to write a history of the Lucy show. He considered the discovery of the long-missing unaired pilot episode – a copy was found in 1990: 'the biggest find in terms of archival material in the history' of TV. The four books he wrote about Lucille Ball turned Andrews into an acknowledged expert on the sitcom. Bart worked for television producer legend, Sheldon Leonard, a friend of the Arnazesâ€, posted this date in 2010.

The State.com – South Carolina's Home Page - “Bart Andrews Dies at 64: (“I Love Lucyâ€) enthusiast wrote TV Trivia Booksâ€, posted this date in 2010.

January 22

Ann Sothern, Lucille Ball early film-career friend and co-star, United Artists’, Broadway Through A Keyhole, 1933, and Kid Millions, 1934; MGM’s, Thousands Cheer, 1943; guest, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1957; guest, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959; star, Desilu Productions’, The Ann Sothern Show, 93 episodes between 1958-1961; guest, The Lucy Show – 7 episodes, as ‘The Countess’, 1965, is born this date in 1909.

Piper Laurie guest stars in Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959, is born this date in 1932.

Bill Bixby, of Incredible Hulk fame; appears in Desilu Studios-filmed, The Andy Griffith Show, 1962; starring in My Favorite Martian, as Tim O'Hara, 107 episodes, 1963-66, appears with Desi Arnaz, The Hollywood Squares, 1972; appears with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), The Great Houdini, 1976; as well as appears with Desi Arnaz IV, Black Market Baby, 1977, is born this date in 1934.

Hollywood Citizen News, Film-Flam, by Sidney Skolsky – Watching Them Make Pictures: “Lucille Ball is the tall blonde who resembles Carole Lombard in the fashion parade during filming of Roberta,†published this date in 1935.

Lucille Ball, starring in Hey Diddle Diddle, opens, on stage, in Princeton, NJ, to a welcoming audience and appreciative reviews, this date in 1937.

The Post Journal Jamestown, NY: “Back From Solomons, (Jamestown) Marine Finally Meets Lucille Ball – Sgt. Lawrence Eddy, recovering from a plane crash and broken back, (missed Lucille when she entertained at hospital base in California), and the two got along so well, they joined together to visit Marlin Rockwell Plant for the Bond Tour, raising $8,000, with 1,000 persons in attendance,†published this date in 1944.

Hollywood Citizen News, Florabel Muir Reports: “Lucille Ball is so put out with the persistent rumors separating her from Desi Arnaz that she’s gone to Palm Springs to get away from ‘em,†published this date in 1947.

Flip Mark, guest co-star Desilu Productions’ Guestward Ho! 1961; Fair Exchange, 1962; Lucille Ball guest co-star, The Lucy Show, 1964; guest, Desilu Productions’, The Mothers-In-Law, 1969, is born this date in 1948.

Lucille Ball appears on NBC Radio’s The Kraft Music Hall, with Al Jolson, airing this date in 1948.

Alan Hale, Sr., Lucille Ball early film-career co-star 1934; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) 1934, 1937, 1941, 1942, 1947; as well as with Lucille again in 1963, 1982, dies this date in 1950.

Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, Desi Arnaz, Host - â€Meeting At Appalachiaâ€, co-starring Cameron Mitchell and Jack Warden, among others, airs this date in 1960.

Herbert Marshall, co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1938; Lucille Ball co-star, KECA Radio, 1942; guest, Desilu Productions; December Bride, 1955; as well as with Lucille, both via archive footage, Hollywood Without Make-Up, 1963, dies this date in 1966.

The Lucy Show “Mooney’s Other Wife†- Bob O’Brien, writer - with repeat guest co-star from Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour days, Edie Adams, as a young woman Mooney has been naughty with away on convention, arrives on his doorstep, airing this date in 1968.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy Goes to Prison†- written by Seaman Jacobs,and Fred S. Fox - Else Lanchester guest co-stars for a second Lucy time; Roy Roberts, veteran supporting cast member, and Lucy uses her mother’s second married name, DeDe Peterson, in prison, where she goes undercover to get some information, with Lucie Arnaz, as Kim Carter, airing this date in 1973.

Telly Savalas, of Kojak fame; guest co-star, Desilu Productions’, The Untouchables, 1960, 1961, 1963, and Here’s Hollywood, 1961; appears with Desi Arnaz, 1976; appears with Lucille Ball and Lucie Arnaz, Circus of the Stars, 1977; co-host, Part I; with Lucille, co-host, Part II, CBS: On the Airâ€, 1978; appears with Desi Arnaz IV, 1982; with Lucille The 38th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, 1986; as well as with Lucille, both via archival footage, 200 Greatest Pop Culture Icons, 2003, dies this date in 1994.

Ann Miller, Lucille Ball early film-career friend and co-star, 1937, 1938; with Lucille and Desi Arnaz, 1940; with Desi Arnaz, 1941; with Lucie Arnaz, Tony Awards, 1981, 1982; with Lucille and Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; with Lucille and Desi, Judy Garland, By Myself, 1983; with Lucille, archivally, 1985; with Lucille, Happy 100th Birthday, Hollywood, and Hollywood, The Golden Years, 1987; as well as with Lucie and Desi Arnaz IV, Vivian Vance & William Frawley (Lucy's Mertzes), interviewee, Lucy-Desi: A Home Movie, 1993, and The Desilu Story, 2003, dies this day in 2004.

The Latest From Everything Lucy Website – “Missing ('I Love Lucy') Show Yet?†– For those who haven’t noticed, (“I Love Lucyâ€) is no longer on TV Land. The show has moved to The Hallmark Channel with two episodes, weekdays…†posted this date in 2009.

The Lucy Lounge Website – Reporting of PBS Special “Make ‘Em Laugh†– showing Lucy clips; a Bob Carroll, Jr., and Madelyn Davis’ interview; a Roseanne Barr interview on Lucy; and Jerry Seinfeld, comparing his ‘sitcom’ as being funny in the vein of (“I Love Lucyâ€), posted this date in 2009.

January 23

Randolph Scott, Lucille Ball and William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), early-film career(s) co-star, RKO Radio’s Roberta, 1935, with Lucille, Follow The Fleet 1936; with Frawley, High, Wide, and Handsome, 1937; as well as with Lucille and Desi Arnaz, Meet the Stars #6: Stars at Play, 1941, is born this date in 1898.

Dan Duryea, film co-star with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), Lady On A Train, 1945; guest, Desilu Productions', December Bride, 1955; guest, Desilu Studios-filmed, Cavalcade of America, 1957; with Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse,2 episodes, 1959; is born this date in 1907.

Juney Ellis, co-star, Arnazes, The Long, Long Trailer, 1953; guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, 1954; supporting cast member (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1955; as well as guest, Desilu Studios-filmed, The Betty Hutton Show, 1969, is born this date in 1909.

Ernie Kovacs, guest co-star, Desilu Productions’, The Walter Winchell Show, 1956; guest, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959; guest, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour,with wife, Edie Adams,1960; the last show; appears with Lucille, TV's Funniest Game Show Moments, 1984; as well as, with entire cast, all via archival footages, Lucie and Desi Arnaz IV, and many others (“I Love Lucyâ€) 50th Anniversary Special, 2001, is born this date in 1919.

Florence Halop, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1952; appears with Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, Vivian Vance and William Frawley (The Mertzes), Stars in the Eye, 1952; guest, Desilu Productions’, The Untouchable, 1959; with Desi Arnaz IV, Love, American Style, 1971; as well as Lucille's guest, (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1974, is born this date in 1923.

Film Daily – Chatterbox – RKO Radio - Lucille Ball appears in the cast of an early-career movie, reported this date in 1936.

Lucille Ball appears as a regular cast member Sunday nights on CBS Radio’s The Phil Baker Show, this date in 1938.

Desi Arnaz stars in RKO Radio Picture’s, Four Jacks and a Jill, co-starring Ray Bolger, Eddie Foy, Jr., June Havoc, and Marie Windsor, a musical, is released this date in 1942.

NY Daily Courant: “Lucille Ball: One of seven prominent screen personalities participating in President Roosevelt’s Birthday celebration on behalf of Infantile Paralysis Foundation, Washington, D.C., published this date in 1944.

Lucille Ball visits the Jamestown Post Journal editorial rooms on the last day of her hometown visit this day in 1944.

(“I Love Lucyâ€), “Second Honeymoon,†- Desi Arnaz, as Ricardo, The Orchestra Leader, and the Desi Arnaz Orchestra, perform at CBS-TV General Service Studios - a thinly-veiled suggestion that the Mertzes might enjoy a sex life, second-appearance, as cast member, Virginia Barfour, appearing in role as ‘woman’; with veteran cast members, Kenneth Hamilton, stunt man, as Harvey Grant; and with Herbert Lytton, Tyler McVey, Louis Nicoletti, and Marco Rizo, and Paula Winslow, airing this date in 1956.

Desilu Productions', Fractured Flickers, with veteran supporting cast (Lucy) member, Hans Conried, Host, (who explains what a 'fractured flicker' is; introduces several wacky segments and interviews guests) co-starring this segment, Zsa Zsa Gabor, which airs on this date in 1964.

The Lucy Show “Main Street, U.S.A.†- Bob O’Brien, writer, the first of a two-parter, guest co-stars, Mel Torme and Paul Winchell (their second Lucy appearance); John Bubbles, and veteran supporting cast members, Carole Cook, with Burt Mustin and Louis A. Nicoletti - Lucy and Mooney are sent to a small town bank financing a new freeway, and airing this date in 1967.

Jack Oakie, Lucille Ball’s early film-career friend and co-star, 1934, 1936, 1938; guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, 2 episodes, 1955, as well as Desilu Studios-filmed, The Real McCoys, 1963; dies this date in 1978.

TV Guide: “The 50 Funniest TV Moments of All Time,†Lucille Ball making list twice in top 20 [(“I Love Lucyâ€) candy factory and Vitameatavegamin episodes] and sharing the cover with Carol Burnett and Jerry Seinfeld, the week commencing this date in 1999.

Rosalyn Borden, (one-half of sister team, "Teensy" & "Weensy") (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1955, dies this date in 2003.

Johnny Carson, appears with Lucille Ball Toast of the Town, 1962; Lucille and Desi Arnaz’ friend and Lucille's guest co-star, The Lucy Show, 1969; with Lucille on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, 1968, 1969, 1970, 2 appearances, 1971, and 1984; Desi appears on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, 1971, 1972, and 1976; appears at CBS Salutes Lucy: The First 25 Years, 1976; with Lucille, Happy Birthday, Bob, and A Tribute to Mr. Television, Milton Berle, 1978, Lucille's guest on Lucy Moves to NBC, 1980; appears with Lucille on The American Film Institute Salute to Billy Wilder, 1986, as well as with Lucille, archivally, and Lucie Arnaz, Bob Hope: The First 90 Years, 1993, dies this day in 2005.

The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum’s next Legacy of Laughter (LOL) seminar will take place March 3, in the Historic Boulder Theatre in Boulder City, Nevada! To preserve Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz’ legacy, the legendary comedy pair’s daughter, Lucie Arnaz and son, Desi Arnaz, IV and his wife, Amy, will host the event. Lucie Arnaz will moderate the panel that, to date, includes: Sean Astin: actor (The Goonies, Rudy Memphis Belle, Lord of the Rings), Academy Award-nominated director, (Kangaroo Court), as well as Jim Dunnigan: drug and alcohol intervention counselor. This ‘Legacy of Laughter’ Seminar, the third event, is more than just about the comedy the Arnazes parents left behind; it is about the teaching ability of love and laughter, with panel discussions (and audience interaction); to explore and celebrate the inestimable value of laughter,†announced this date in 2007.

The TV honcho Lucy overheard saying relics like her and Benny should be put away was Fred Silverman. The studio cost for RKO was 6 million one hundred and fifty tthousand dollars, mentionned in Desi's A BOOK. It was supposed to be MORE as they could not take all the money right away for business reasons, but Desi insisted on paying the agreed price regardless of their business problems.

Archived