Costume Designer Theoni V. Aldredge Dies

JoeySanJoaquin

Costume designer Theoni V. Aldredge dies at age 78

1 hr 11 mins ago NEW YORK – Theoni V. Aldredge, an award-winning costume designer who created memorable outfits for more than 300 stage and film projects, including "Gypsy," "A Chorus Line," "Dreamgirls" and "42nd Street," has died. She was 78.

Her husband, actor Tom Aldredge, said she died Friday at a hospice in Connecticut.

She won three Tonys for "Annie," "Barnum" and "La Cage aux Folles" and an Oscar in 1975 for designing costumes for "The Great Gatsby," starring Robert Redford.

Aldredge, known for her ability to go from Las Vegas stage shows to opera, and to create everything from Elizabethan period costumes to contemporary street fashion, was inducted into the Theater Hall of Fame.

She was the principal designer for Joseph Papp's New York Shakespeare Festival for many years.

:(

Mia Farrow was pregnant in "Gatsby" and they had to keep applying layers of ruffles to hide her expanding tummy. I am fascinated by costume designers and what they do. Ms. Aldredge was apparantly of those people we just never automatically think about when we watch a film. Funny...because we know they don't often dress themselves. The only exception maybe Babs. In one her films...I think "A Star Is Born" her wardrobe source is listed as "Miss Streisand's Wardrobe: Her Closet."

Wasn't she the genius fashion designer who created all those memorable outfits for Lucy in MAME also?

No...remember when we covered that a while back on the old Lounge? The designer you are thinking of is the fantastic lady, Theadora Van Runkle, born in 1929. As of this writing she is still with us. Here main films were Bonnie and Clyde, Bullitt, Mame, Myra Breckinridge, New York, New York and more!

The names are similar, so it's easy to mistake them.

No...remember when we covered that a while back on the old Lounge? The designer you are thinking of is the fantastic lady, Theadora Van Runkle, born in 1929. As of this writing she is still with us. Here main films were Bonnie and Clyde, Bullitt, Mame, Myra Breckinridge, New York, New York and more!

The names are similar, so it's easy to mistake them.

So sorry, i did it again, after typing it, i thought, didn't we go through this before . . . with a name like that, you'd think it would be special enough NOT to be confused with anyone else's, geez!

Mia Farrow was pregnant in "Gatsby" and they had to keep applying layers of ruffles to hide her expanding tummy. I am fascinated by costume designers and what they do. Ms. Aldredge was apparantly of those people we just never automatically think about when we watch a film. Funny...because we know they don't often dress themselves. The only exception maybe Babs. In one her films...I think "A Star Is Born" her wardrobe source is listed as "Miss Streisand's Wardrobe: Her Closet."

She made Farrow look so beautiful with her Gatsby LOOK, i'll never forget, i think it was the very first issue of People that featured an angelic looking pic of Mia in her Gatsby duds, just beautiful.

And my heavens...look at the PRICE per issue--only 35 cents?! That barely covers the cost of the front and BACK covers these days. :lucyhorror:

1974-people-mia-250.jpg

Ah yes, 35 cents for an issue of People and 15 cents for the TV Guide, those were the days. I wonder what the total amount was for the clothes the lady supplied for the whole movie.

Archived