HL Guest Star Jack LaLanne dies at 96

Brock

Bogie Affair co-star Jack LaLanne died this afternoon. :(

Fitness guru Jack LaLanne, 96, dies at Calif. home

(AP) – 29 minutes ago

MORRO BAY, Calif. (AP) — Jack LaLanne, the fitness guru who inspired television viewers to trim down and pump iron for decades before exercise became a national obsession, died Sunday. He was 96.

LaLanne died of respiratory failure due to pneumonia Sunday afternoon at his home in Morro Bay on California's central coast, his longtime agent Rick Hersh said.

Lalanne ate healthy and exercised every day of his life up until the end, Hersh said.

"I have not only lost my husband and a great American icon, but the best friend and most loving partner anyone could ever hope for," Elaine LaLanne, Lalanne's wife of 51 years and a frequent partner in his television appearances, said in a written statement.

LaLanne (pronounced lah-LAYN') credited a sudden interest in fitness with transforming his life as a teen, and he worked tirelessly over the next eight decades to transform others' lives, too.

"The only way you can hurt the body is not use it," LaLanne said. "Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."

His workout show was a television staple from the 1950s to the '70s. LaLanne and his dog Happy encouraged kids to wake their mothers and drag them in front of the television set. He developed exercises that used no special equipment, just a chair and a towel.

He also founded a chain of fitness studios that bore his name and in recent years touted the value of raw fruit and vegetables as he helped market a machine called Jack LaLanne's Power Juicer.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by two sons, Dan and Jon, and a daughter, Yvonne.

Copyright © 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hJDMA_e-Cn_u5dKfcR6F8rZZpoNw?docId=6d9191a19531432382ce0aa42604acdb

Jack LaLanne died?

I wasn't sure before but now I'm convinced we ALL will.

As far as jack LaLanne as a "Here's Lucy" guest, I have to ask the question: WHY???

Oh come on, you remember, at one time he was HUGE in the industry. Everybody mentionned him or even made jokes about him.

Why not? He did a better job than Lawrence Welk. LOL!

But he was no Peter Marshall! I hear Petey's being talked about for a Kennedy Center Honor or an Honorary Oscar. Oh no, wait, it was the Lawrence Welk award for worst actor ever to grace a Lucy show stage. Liberace won it the first year it was given.

I thought Jack LaLanne would live forever. As someone else mentioned, his healthy lifestyle definitely served him well. His appearance was great on HL. Love that episode!

Maybe I was too rough on the jack LaLanne here's Lucy episode. I don't recall much about it other than it involved a dog they found and that Jack LaLanne's involvement in the plot comes out of nowhere. Lalanne owes her a favor because she sent some of her fat friends to him once (!?). I'm just guessing that this is another episode where they assume the animal is male and it has a litter. A toy poodle maybe, but a sheepdog?? Worse yet is when Lucy and the Countess don't note that Oilwell the HORSE is male.

Maybe I was too rough on the jack LaLanne here's Lucy episode. I don't recall much about it other than it involved a dog they found and that Jack LaLanne's involvement in the plot comes out of nowhere.

I tend to like the weird episodes anyhow. I'm a bit of an oddball when it comes to humor. :maryjane2:

Archived