Lucy Puts Main Street U.S.A. on the Map

This is the only season 5 eposide not in public domain and has just gotten posted on youtube. I want to sa y that enjoy this second part as much as the first part. This show illustrates Lucy the legend. Not only does Lucy have great one liners with Mr. Mooney but she is clever in thinking of a way to give the Main St. U.S.A. problem national attention. She dances superbly and she sings okay back by a wonderful chorus. She can almost anything perfectly. I love both parts because it is a nostaglia look at the past (with some blacks in the show, which was good because this was still rare in 1966.) and how life was simpler. I like the message that freeways would destroy community which has been the problem in America. By 1966, malls were stealing traffic away from Main ST U.S.A. and today few Main Sts. are vibrant. Community is not the same as it was before or even in 1966. To me, this has led neighbors apart from one another and the problem in society is that there are enough people that don't care about each other that hinders those that do. This is a very political and revelant show back then and now. Lucy looked great too, elegent yet a little hippish in white go go boots.

This is the only season 5 eposide not in public domain and has just gotten posted on youtube. I want to sa y that enjoy this second part as much as the first part. This show illustrates Lucy the legend. Not only does Lucy have great one liners with Mr. Mooney but she is clever in thinking of a way to give the Main St. U.S.A. problem national attention. She dances superbly and she sings okay back by a wonderful chorus. She can almost anything perfectly. I love both parts because it is a nostaglia look at the past (with some blacks in the show, which was good because this was still rare in 1966.) and how life was simpler. I like the message that freeways would destroy community which has been the problem in America. By 1966, malls were stealing traffic away from Main ST U.S.A. and today few Main Sts. are vibrant. Community is not the same as it was before or even in 1966. To me, this has led neighbors apart from one another and the problem in society is that there are enough people that don't care about each other that hinders those that do. This is a very political and revelant show back then and now. Lucy looked great too, elegent yet a little hippish in white go go boots.

Well said. And just to add my two centavos ....just going by memory here but I believe this two-parter was scripted by "head writer" Bob O'Brien, who was in his prime with these two shows, one of my all time "Lucy" (entire sitcom canon) favorite episodes (plural I guess in this case, although I prefer Part One over Two) despite it falling in the "let's put on a show while we wink at the fourth wall" category. Primo! ;)

Archived