WestingGOUSE Dealer Promo Colorized

Neil

I don't remember ever seeing this in color.  I don't know anything about the colorization process but considering they were probably working with a 16mm print (plus this video could be a generation or two down from the original ), the colorization here looks pretty good.   But I wonder why they bothered colorizing this.  

Stills from this production appeared in magazines and I could never figure out what they were from.   It's easy to look at trends in hindsight but unfortunately for Desilu Playhouse, the anthology series format had given way to westerns (..."the good old days.  And it's no wonder there's a western craze..."),  Desilu Playhouse promised more than they could deliver and lasted only 2 seasons, the first scheduled for Monday at 10.  The 2nd season was moved to Fridays at 8:30 opposite ABC's Top Ten "77 Sunset Strip".   There were only 3 new Lucy-Desi shows that season (and not the best)  but reruns of past shows were included in the line up.   Mentioned here and pretty impressive was the fact that the first 5 LD Comedy Hours in 57-58 were the top rated specials of the season. 

The attached is part 1.  Part 2 is linked at the end. 

Money was spent on this production  but WHO was it shown to and made for?  Were there stores that solely sold Westinghouse appliances?  I watched the one long commercial with Betty FURNACE touting the new 1959 refrigerator as compared to their 1949 model, and I want one!

I believe this was a promotional film for network affiliates and Westinghouse dealers to help sell the series. Another one of those cases where they used their real names but basically played their I.L.L. characters. I mean, would Bill and Viv really be dining together during their free time?

This was colorised for Legend Films’ 2007 “Lucy’s Really Lost Moments” DVD, consisting of a lot of the public domain material that Goodtimes used to continuously recycle. They also colorised the Bob Hope Chevy Sketch,  The Victor Borge sketch with Lucy and Gale, and I think a segment of Lucy on “I’ve Got a Secret.” They also included some bonus clips which remained just in B&W. The colorisation is okay, but not as good as the episodes CBS is doing now…I think a different company was used. There’s a more artificial feel to it, and everybody’s skin is a little too jaundiced looking.

It does appear they managed to use a 32mm print, though, and there are no real print defects compared to the official DVD release.