Here's Lucy: Kim Finally Cuts You-Know-Whose Apron Strings

Will

What do you think of this pilot? Were you surprised it wasn't picked up for a series? I looked at the new series picked up for the 1972-1973 season and except for MASH, Maude, the Waltons, the Price is Right and possible Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids, I don't see any special shows picked up. I think that CBS should have given Lucie more a chance. Lucy only appears in the beginning and Harry and her have a funny conversation about her overprotectiveness, but then it is Lucie's show. She is hilarious learning self-defense and escaping Mr. Chamberland's caresses. I think she did a great job. The script was okay, but I found the supporting cast totally lacking. Susan Tolsky looked like Ruth Buzzi but was not as funny as Ruth. Yet her character has her moments and plays well with Lucie. However, Alan Oppenhimier is definetly annoying. Whoever wrote his character in was crazy. His novelty song wasn't funny but a waste of time.

I don't find it surprising at all that it wasn't picked up as a series. It sounded great on paper but it just didn't work out. Lucie, Susan Tolsky ("Hello?"), and Alan Oppenheimer are all so much fun to watch -- and Susan and Alan both shone in their individual HL episodes -- but mysteriously this just couldn't come together as a whole.

• 4 months later...

The outfit Lucie wears in the first scene in her apt could totally be wore today and be instyle. I am finding that more as I watch Here's Lucy, fix some hemlines, and get some new shoes and you could wear some of that stuff today. Then there are some prints that should never see the light of day again.

Luvsbway, I haven't seen this episode yet but I agree with you on the clothing I have seen so far. Some of it is really cute.

Like todays "lo-rise" pants were yesteryears "hip-huggers"! :lucie:

I can see why CBS passed. There's not enough of a character in Kim Carter to make a series out of. I'm not one of those who are wild about Kim-centered "Here's Lucy" musical shows, but I think she could shine in plots where she butts heads with over-protective/snoopy Lucy. ("Wandering Mother" for one...but given the Lucy-Lucie real life relationship, how much of an acting stretch is that?) The good mother-daughter plots were mainly limited to Bob and Madelyn; and in the others she seemed to be more of a co-hort with not much more to say in the proceedings than Mary jane Lewis.

Bob and Madelyn's script may have looked better on paper ( a lot of them did) , but all that 'organically yours' business, topical at the time, is very dated now. Alan Oppenheimer, fine as the doctor in "Big Break" is all wrong for this part--sort of poor-man's Gavin McLeod, who in turn is a poor man's version of ...well, anybody funny. Nor does Lucie look completely comfortable as the center of attention. With neither of them particularly enjoyable, Sue Tolsky's over the top schtick seems out of place, but at least she provides some comedy.

And there's something about that suave British Lothario that sort of creeps me out. The 'romance'scene where he attempts to seduce Kim is particularly hard to watch.

Given no compelling characters to work with, it would have been interesting to know if they had outlined any additional plots. I'm sure by the third or fourth episode they would have been staging a show to purchase new docks for the marina!

Archived