Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Chronology - Week 3 - February

leenorman

February 16

Pepito Perez, famed international showman, “The Spanish Clownâ€, instrumental in arranging the routines the Arnazes took on the road show pre-(“I Love Lucyâ€); Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz’ friend, mentor, appearing as himself in (“I Love Lucyâ€) “The Pilotâ€; taught Lucille and Desi the vaudeville routine used in “The Audition†1951; guest co-star, 1951, 1952, is born this date in 1898.

Chester Morris, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, RKO Radio’s 2 films, 1939, is born this date in 1901.

Edgar Bergen, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, 1941; guest, among others, Desilu Productions' Shower of Stars, 1954, 1955, Here’s Hollywood, 1961; guest, Desilu Studios-filmed, The Joey Bishop Show, 1964; as well as with Lucille, via archival footage, Legends of Comedy, 1992; is born this date in 1903.

Hugh Beaumont, of Leave it to Beaver fame, Lucille Ball co-star, 1943; guest, Desilu Productions' The Lineup, 1954; Cavalcade of America, 1956, as well as Mannix, 1968, is born this date in 1909.

Jimmy Wakely, appears with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1941; as well as Desilu Productions', Here's Hollywood 1961, is born this date in 1914.

Patty Andrews, of the legendary Andrews Sisters; guest, Desilu Studios-filmed, The Joey Bishop Show, 1964; Lucille Ball and Desi Arnazes long-time friend, guest co-star (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1969, Lucille and Lucie Arnaz, as the ‘missing two’ sisters; as well as appears with Lucille, archivally, Entertaining the Troops, 1994; is born this date in 1918.

William Frawley (Fred Mertz) appears, Orpheum Circuit, Seven A.M., today in 1920.

Paul Sorenson, guest co-star, Desilu Productions’ Cavalcade of America, 1956, The Untouchables, 2 episodes, 1963; Desilu Studios-filmed Slattery's People, 1965, and Desilu Productions’ Mission: Impossible, 1967; Lucille co-star, A Guide for the Married Man, 1967; and supporting cast member, (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1971, is born this date in 1926.

Frank Gorey, Lucille Ball, her mother, DeDe’s, and Lucie and Desi IV’s long-time friend, faithful aide and twenty-five-plus year chauffeur; many-time guest, bus tour leader and speaker at Lucille Ball Festivals in Jamestown NY, is born this date in 1928.

Variety: “Lucille Ball material only so-so; but, timing and knock-em dead emphasis on the tags italicized humor. Her withering style of always belittlin’ was particularly well suited to go with Phil Baker’s (Radio Show) foolingâ€, is published this date in 1938.

Film Daily – Beauty For The Asking – RKO Radio: “The eternal triangle and the evils of money form the background for this venture into secrets of society and the cosmetics business, fails to be convincing, even with an able cast, including Lucille Ball, good direction and photography,†published this date in 1939.

NY Times – Beauty For The Asking: “She (Lucille Ball) is one of the more promising young players on the RKO contract list but she will be a long time getting anywhere unless the stories improve,†published this date in 1939.

Lucille Ball gets a speeding ticket for driving 40 in a 25 MPH zone this date in 1940.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra, perform (“I Love Lucyâ€) “The Club Election,†in which veteran supporting cast member, Doris Singleton, makes her first of many appearances as Caroline Appleby; episode is a take-off from My Favorite Husband, “Women’s Club Election,†Ethel and Ricky reminisce about the time she and Lucy were vying for the Club Presidency, co-starring Jerry Hausner, Ida Moore, Margie Liszt, Hazel Pierce, Lurene Tuttle and Peggy Rea, airing this date in 1953.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy is Envious,†an episode where one of Lucy’s classmates is in town raising money for charity, and which is filmed this date in 1954.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy Gets A Paris Gown,†an episode in which Lucy wants an original Paris gown and goes on a hunger strike, which is filmed this date in 1956.

Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, “More Gold Recordsâ€, co-starring Jack Benny, Gary Crosby, Georgia Gibbs, Frankie Laine, and Red Skelton, among others, airing this date in 1956.

Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, “Chez Rouge†1959, starring Dan Blocker, airs this date in 1959.

New York Times: “Lucille Ball will stay on as President of Desilu; Gulf & Western to purchase,†published this date in 1967.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy and Wayne Newtonâ€, is filmed on location in the San Fernando Valley without an audience, revolving around Craig and Kim’s talent at a State Fair, airing this date in 1970.

Desi Arnaz IV appears on The Alan Thicke Show, on an episode airing this date in 1981.

Lucille Ball received the Woman of the Year Award from Harvard Hasty Pudding Theatricals USA, this date in 1988.

The Latest From Everything Lucy Website: (“Here’s Lucyâ€), DVD, Season One, coming this summer – “MPI Home Video has picked up the license for (“Here’s Lucyâ€), which was previously owned by Shout Factory. Their agreement has expired, and MPI picked up the license, along with a group fo Lucille Ball specials, which will be released later this year. With this announcement, it’s not long before The Lucy Show becomes available, also rumored to be in the worksâ€, posted this date in 2009.

The Post-Journal – Information Center - In Years Past – 10 Years Ago: “The first floor of the Lucille Ball Little Theatre of Jamestown was getting a face lift thanks to funding from two area foundations. The Gebbie and Sheldon Foundations have combined to give the Little Theatre $90,000 for the project. Sheldon Foundation contributed $50,000, while the Gebbie Foundation contributed $40,000 to the plan. Once a fruit stand, later converted into cold storage for the Theatre, the first floor – just off First Street, was being remodeled into much needed rehearsal space,’†published this date in 2009.

Kathryn Grayson, co-star, Lucille Ball 1943; with Lucille and William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) 1945; as well as with Lucille 1978, dies this date in 2010.

February 17

Marc Lawrence, Desilu Productions’ The Untouchables, 1960, 1961, 1963; Lucille Ball guest co-star, (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1971, is born this date in 1910.

Wayne Morris, guest stars with Desi Arnaz, Screen Snapshots Series 23, No. 1: Hollywood in Uniform, 1943; Desilu Productions’ Official Detective, 1958, and Desilu Studios’, CBS’ New Comedy Showcase Desi Arnaz’ Executive-Producer, 1960; with Lucille Ball, Hollywood Without Make-Up, 1963; as well as Desilu Studios’ CBS’ New Comedy Showcase 1960; is born this date in 1914.

Kathleen Freeman, Desilu Productions’ Our Miss Brooks, 1952, December Bride, and The Ann Sothern Show, 1958, Guestward Ho!, 1961; and veteran supporting cast member, The Lucy Show, 5 episodes, 1964, co-star, unsold pilot - Desilu Productions' Good Old Days, 1966; is born this date in 1919.

Remo Pisani, supporting cast member, The Lucy Show, 1967, 1968, is born this date in 1919.

Hal Holbrook, appears with Desi Arnaz The 26th Annual Tony Awards, 1972; with Desi Arnaz IV Saturday Night Live: The Rolling Stones, 1978; with Lucille Ball, All-Star Party for Clint Eastwood, 1986; as well as with Lucie Arnaz CBS at 75, 2003, is born this date in 1925.

Hollywood Citizen News, Radio, Zuma Palmer: “Lucille Ball on KNX with Jack Haley, introduces new character, “Dead End Niece,†published this date in 1939.

Lucille Ball appears on Picturegoer [England] Magazine cover this date in 1940.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear My Favorite Husband “Liz Teaches the Samba,†the first re-write of episode #5, 8/5/48, - the basis for (“I Love Lucyâ€) “Young Fans,†with veteran supporting cast member, Richard Crenna, and guest co-star Jim Backus, airing this date in 1950.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear My Favorite Husband “Renewal of Driver’s License,†– episode #119, with veteran supporting cast member, Frank Nelson, airs this date in 1951.

Jamestown Post Journal: “The Long, Long Trailer, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz latest MGM film, starts at Shea’s Theater Saturday night,†published this date in 1954.

Desi Arnaz and the Desi Arnaz Orchestra record the background music for CBS-TV (“I Love Lucyâ€), Episode #120, and which episode is filmed this date in 1955.

Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, “That's Lifeâ€, co-starring Anna Maria Alberghetti, Harry James, Shirley MacLaine, Johnnie Ray, and Larry Storch, airing this date in 1955.

Joseph Kearns, supporting cast member (“I Love Lucyâ€) 1952, 1957; Desilu Production’s, Willy 1 episode, 1955; Our Miss Brooks, 8 episodes, 1953-1955, Our Miss Brooks, 1 episode, 1956; Shower of Stars, 1958; December Bride, also starring Desi Arnaz, 1956, 1957; Desilu Production’s The Ann Sothern Show, 1959 and Angel, 1960; later, Mr. Wilson of Dennis The Menace series, 1959-1962, dies this date in 1962.

The Lucy Show “Lucy and Viv Open a Restaurantâ€, which is a flop enterprise, until a highway goes through, airing this date in 1964.

Lucille Ball appears on NBC, Jack Benny’s Birthday Special, Lucille joins Jack in his monologue and performs in several segments, as do others in the ‘cast’, Lawrence Welk and Dennis Day, airing this date in 1969.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy, the Shopping Expertâ€, a hilarious episode in which Craig gets a job in a supermarket, and Lucille teaches Kim how to shop, airing this date 1969.

Desi Arnaz makes a guest appearance, The Merv Griffin Show, this date in 1970.

Chicago Tribune, Rex Reed: “Lucy the Lioness: Steely Pride on Those Journeys,†published this date in 1974.

George Marshall, actor, director, many-year friend of Lucille Ball, director 1950; with Lucille, archivally, Hollywood Without Make-up, 1963; Desilu Productions’, Cavalcade of America, 1955; (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1969, both as an actor; director, (“Here’s Lucyâ€), eleven episodes, 1969; as well as archival guest on Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz Special, (“Here's Lucyâ€): On Location, 2009, dies this date in 1975.

Lucille Ball appears on NBC’s Jack Benny’s Birthday Special, this date in 1976.

Jane Curtin, Saturday Night Live star, imitates Lucy Ricardo, airing this date in 1979.

Dan O'Herlihy, co-stars with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), 1951; Desilu Productions' Cavalcade of America, 1952, The Untouchables, 1960, as well as Mission: Impossible, 1967, dies this date in 2005.

The Post-Journal - Lucy-Desi Adds Nevada Panelists – “The Panel for the 3rd Legacy of Laughter, sponsored by the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center is complete, adding names of Christina Carroll, daughter of recently-deceased Bob Carroll, Jr., co-writer for all (“I Love Lucyâ€) episodes, and Sebastien Gendry, author/ educator/motivational speaker, scheduled for March 3, Boulder City, Nevada,†published this date in 2007.

Amy (Mrs. Desi, Jr.) Arnaz’ Website - "Desi's Family Furniture - I always knew the furniture in our theatre lobby was special, but I didn't know about it's history until Tom Watson, Lucille Ball friend and publicist, and longtime friend of Desi's family, came to our theatre to see Desi in ‘Love Letters’. He also noticed the furniture in our lobby looked just like furniture in a photo he had of Desi's folks taken in their home in Chatsworth, CA, in the late 40's, and sent the photo to us. We also have the footstool that Desi's dad is resting his feet on. Once he realized this was furniture from Lucille's home, Frank Gorey, who worked for Lucille over 40 years, verified our lobby furniture was the same furniture in Tom's photo and went on to give me a full history of it's origin", posted this date in 2009.

February 18

Adolphe Menjou, Lucille Ball co-star, 1937, 1939, and Desi Arnaz co-star, 1941, is born this date in 1890.

Jack Palance, Lucille Ball co-star, Desilu Productions’ The Greatest Show on Earth, 30 episodes, as Johnny Slade, 1963-64; and appears on stage with Lucille, Night of 100 Stars II, 1985, is born this date in 1919.

Motion Picture Herald, What The Picture Did For Me – L. A. Irwin & H. M. Gerber: Room Service, Marx Bros. and Lucille Ball: “ . . . may have been a good play but, a poor movie,†published this date in 1939.

Lucille Ball appears on CBS Radio’s Campbell Playhouse: “Dinner at Eight,†with Orson Welles and Hedda Hopper, airs this date in 1940.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear My Favorite Husband “Secretarial School,†– episode #32, with veteran supporting cast member, Hans Conried, airs this date in 1949.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra, perform (“I Love Lucyâ€) “The Ballet,†veteran supporting cast member, Mary Wickes (long-time friend of Lucille Ball) making her debut, one of many appearances, and which episode shows Lucy actually getting into the act, judged a fan favorite, co-starring Frank J. Scannell, airing this date in 1952.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appear at the Coconut Grove, Hollywood, The Emmys, on this date in 1952.

Newsweek: “Hollywood quickly took notice of Desilu’s burgeoning success. Such stars as Rosalind Russell, Eve Arden, Arlene Dahl and Lex Barker, Laraine Day and Leo Durocher, and Bing Crosby toured the Arnazes sound stages. Bing Crosby will probably use the Desilu technique when he makes his long-awaited television debut. The Durochers were so impressed they had Desilu film a baseball series for them. Red Skelton uses the facilities for his commercials, and last week, Eve Arden was making a pilot film of Our Miss Brooks, on this date in 1952.

Lucille Ball appears in Life Magazine: “Beauty Into Button,†published this date in 1952.

Jamestown Post Journal: Lucille Ball Signs Record Contract – New York. (AP) – Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz today signed a new $8 million dollar contract with Philip Morris & Co., and CBS Television for 2(?) more years of (“I Love Lucyâ€) CBS announced here. The contract was called the largest signed in television. CBS said it was a “no option†document, meaning it is not subject to the cancellation privileges often contained in TV contracts. CBS said the contract with Miss Ball and Arnaz, her husband, covers the remainder of this season and runs through 1955,†published this date in 1953.

CBS announces Philip Morris will sign an $8 million contract with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, the largest ever written for television, guaranteeing the series which contained the birth of Little Ricky, a program receiving the highest rating in TV history, will run for the next 30 months, through the 1954-55 season (98 episodes), this date in 1953.

CBS’ Vice President, Harry Ackerman, representing O. Parker McComas, President, Harry W. Chesley, Jr., representing the Philip Morris Company; Terry Clyne, representing Biow Company, and Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz; join together in the signing of an historic $8 million contract (half to Desilu and half to CBS), the largest ever written for television to that date, signed this date in 1953.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, on promotional tour of The Long, Long Trailer - a woman appears in their Hotel Lobby, asking them to baptize her baby; attend press party, 400 people, Waldorf-Astoria Hotel; attend party, Billy Reed’s Little Club; attend party, Astor Hotel while in NYC for the premiere later that day, in 1954.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz star in MGM’s The Long, Long Trailer, (Jerry Thorpe, Assistant Director; long-time Lucy assistant director, 33 episodes, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1953-54; director, 3 episodes The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, 1958-59; director, 3 episodes, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1958-60; Desilu Productions’ executive in charge of production and executive producer, 73 episodes, The Untouchables 1960-63; director, 2 episodes, December Bride 1955-56; director, director, 4 episodes, The Walter Winchell File 1957; as well as director, 1 episode, The Texan 1958); Arnazes film released this date in 1954.

The Long, Long Trailer - Radio City Music Hall, NYC - Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz attend dinner party – penthouse - Radio City Music Hall; and a Stage Review accompanying the movie, produced by a long-time friend of Lucille’s from her early modeling days, this day in 1954.

Desilu Productions', The Lineup “The Paymaster Robberyâ€, starring Warner Anderson, Tom Tully, Marshall Reed, and Jack Edwards, who appeared in Lucille Ball CBS Radio program, My Favorite Husband, Episode #38, 1949, this program with many Lucy and Desilu employees, and airs this date in 1955.

CBS The Lucy Show – 30-minutes, black & white – this is not a misprint, nor Miss Ball’s classic 1960’s sitcom. The re-runs of (“I Love Lucyâ€) on Sundays had done so well for CBS they decide to add this extra night of (“I Love Lucyâ€) re-runs on Saturdays in the very early evening. New graphics are made to reflect the change of title and sponsor this date in 1956.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy Gets Chummy with the Neighbors†- co-starring Keith Thibodeaux, as Little Ricky; Mary Jane Croft as Betty Ramsey, first of several appearances, and veteran guest co-star, Frank Nelson, as Ralph Ramsey, his next-to-last appearance as Ralph, and the final in the new furniture installments, with Parley Baer and Ray Ferrell, airing this date 1957.

The Lucy Show “No More Double Datesâ€, guest co-starring Dick Martin, as Harry Connors, Lucy’s romantic interest in the series and with veteran supporting cast members, Alan Ray and Don Briggs, airing this date in 1963.

Desilu Productions', The Greatest Show on Earth “Man in a Holeâ€, starring Jack Palance, as Johnny Slate, co-starring Arte Johnson and Jack Lord, among others, airs this date in 1964.

The NY Times, Charles Higham – “Is Lucy Having a Ball as ‘Mame’� “Reflections on breaking her leg in Snowmass . . . . The constant, whether love or hate, was passion†– Lucille Ball: ‘I hope the poor soul gets his life together’ – ‘ . . . drank too much and couldn’t stand success; maybe Latins have an instinct for self-destruction.’ Higham: “ . . . but, they relied on each other for advice, largely because they wanted the other’s insight . . . a triumphant, life-long collaboration. Lucille sometimes blamed herself privately . . .†is published this date in 1973.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Mary Jane’s Boyfriend†- veteran supporting cast member, Mary Jane Croft, as Mary Jane Lewis, the only episode which centers around her character, airing this date in 1974.

People Magazine – by Susan Schindehette - “The Real Story of Desi and Lucy" published this date in 1991.

People Weekly cover: “The Untold Story of Lucy & Desi†– Maury Thompson (1991 interview): “She would follow him in Palm Springs . . .†is published this date in 1992.

The Post-Journal: Lucie Arnaz To Speak At Women’s Heart Event – “Lucie gives the keynote address, second annual Evening Of Heart, Health and Style the 28th, Jamestown Savings Bank Ice Arena, offering an evening of awareness; the importance of heart health in women. ‘Surviving Success’, Lucie’s interpretation of managing life in the spotlight, beginning her career on The Lucy Show, age 12 and continuing career as an actress, singer, Broadway star and award-winning producer, Jamestown’s Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz’ daughter,†published this date in 2006.

February 19

Sir Cedric Hardwicke, Lucille Ball early-film career co-star, 1942, 1947; as well as Desilu Productions’, Here’s Hollywood, 1961, is born this date in 1893.

Louis Calhern, Lucille Ball early-film careeer co-star, 1934; Lucille Ball/Desi Arnaz film Forever Darling, 1956, is born this date in 1895.

John Bubbles, Lucille Ball guest co-star, 2 episodes, 1967, is born this date in 1902.

Henry ‘Had’ Durrell Ball, Lucille Ball’s father, in Wyandotte, Michigan, DeDe (his wife, expectant with child #2, Fred) and Lucille trying to get him home to Jamestown to health facilities, [later buried in Lakeview Cemetery, Jamestown, NY], dies of typhoid fever, at the age of 27, on this date in 1915.

Lee Marvin, guest co-star, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959; Desilu Productions’, The Untouchables, 1961; 2 episodes, 1962; as well as appears with Lucille Ball, both via archival footage, NBC's Bob Hope's Bag of Christmas Memories, nominated for a PrimeTime Emmy 1994, 1993; is born this date in 1924.

Film Daily – RKO Radio - Follow the Fleet – Rogers/Astaire movie, loaded with entertainment, also starring Lucille Ball and Harriet Hilliard (will become Mrs. Ozzie Nelson),†published this date in 1936.

Desi Arnaz and his LaConga Orchestra, record in NYC, this date in 1940.

LA Evening Herald Express, Harrison Carroll: “Latest plan of Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball is to open a series of 22 roadside eating houses on Highway 101, from San Diego to Seattle. His idea is to feature Spanish, Mexican and Cuban dishes. According to Desi, he can get the chain started for $18,000,†published this date in 1942.

LA Evening Herald Express, Harrison Carroll: “Desi Arnaz tossed a drink into the face of a Lucille Ball annoyer at a big Hollywood Party Saturday night and would have done more, but two people grabbed him,†published this date in 1946.

Jamestown Post Journal: “The Long, Long Trailer†- Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz latest MGM film, starts at Shea’s Theater Saturday night, published this date in 1954.

Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, “The Frightened Witnessâ€, with Don W. Sharpe, Executive Producer, Production: Argyle Nelson, Supervisor and James Paisley, Manager; Dann Cahn, Editorial Supervisor, and Robert Reeve, re-recording editor, starring Dan Duryea, Eleanor Audley, Barbara Billingsley, Herbert Rudley, and Harold J. Stone, airs this date in 1957.

Desi Arnaz stars as Chris Hunter, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, “Thunder in the Nightâ€, guest co-starring Betty Furness and Rod Taylor, on this date in 1960.

Lucille Ball appears with Paula Stewart and they perform their duet from Wildcat, on CBS’ The Ed Sullivan Show, to which Lucille has just returned after an extended illness, airing this date in 1961.

Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz) appears on The Red Skelton Show “Appleby’s Fallout Shelterâ€, airing this date in 1963.

The Lucy Show “Lucy Helps Ken Berry†- Bob O’Brien, writer - a musical-theme skit; (Ken Berry guest co-star, a Lucille Ball protégé in her Desilu Workshop in the late 1950’s); Ken visits the Bank to get a loan for his dance school, airing this date in 1968.

Madge Blake, co-stars with William Frawley, 1952; co-star with the Arnazes, The Long, Long Trailer, 1953; cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1954, 1957; Desilu Productions’, Cavalcade of America, 1956, December Bride 1957, The Lineup, 1958, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Make Room for Daddy, 1961, Desilu Productions’, Guestward Ho!, 1961; Angel, 1961; Desilu Productions’-Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Comedy Spot, 1962; cast member, The Joey Bishop Show, 10 episodes, 1961-1962; The Lucy Show, 1964; and Desilu Productions', Mannix, 1967, dies this date in 1969.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “The Not-So-Popular Mechanics†- funny episode involving car repair, with veteran supporting cast member, Mary Jane Croft, as Mary Jane Lewis, and Lucy doing something Vivian and Lucy once performed so well together, airs this date 1973.

Janet Blair, appears with William Frawley and Vivian Vance, (Lucy's The Mertzes), The Buick-Berle Show, 1954; guest, Desilu Productiona', Here's Hollywood, 1960, and You Don't Say, 1964; appears with Desi Arnaz IV, Salute to Oscar Hammerstein II, 1972; dies this date in 2007.

The Latest From Everything Lucy: San Francisco Chronicle, by Robert Hurwitt: Lucie Arnaz to Perform Benefit Cabaret - "Lucie Arnaz, who was practically born on TV, takes the stage to benefit San Mateo's Broadway by the Bay. Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz' daughter will perform her cabaret act, 'An Evening With Lucie Arnaz', March 22, Hotel Sofitel, Redwood City, CA, as part of a benefit for the company's musical theater productions and educational programs", posted this date in 2009.

February 20

Gale Gordon, Charles T. Aldrich, Jr.. long-time friend, actor, co-star, and veteran supporting cast member of every Lucille Ball series; co-star. CBS' Radio, My Favorite Husband, 1948 - had his schedule allowed at the time, would have become Lucy’s Fred Mertz; bit part in Lucille's film-career, 1950; (“I Love Lucyâ€), 2 episodes, 1952; stars, with Desi Arnaz and Lucille, Vivian Vance and William Frawley (Lucy's the Mertzes), Stars in Their Eye, 1952; Desilu Productions’, Our Miss Brooks, 130 episodes, 1952-56; Desilu Productions’, The Brothers, 1956; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Dick Van Dyke Show, 2 episodes, 1961; Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1958; Desilu Productions’, Harrigan and Son, and Angel, 1961; Desilu Productions’-Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Comedy Spot, 1962; Lucille Ball Special, Mr. And Mrs., 1964; The Lucy Show, 45 episodes, 1963-68; co-star, unsold pilot - Desilu Productions’, Vacation Playhouse, 1966; (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 41 episodes, 1968-74; The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast: Lucille Ball, 1975; CBS Salutes Lucy: The First 25 Years, 1976; Lucy Calls the President, 1977; Lucy Moves to NBC, 1980; starred in Bungle Abbey, Lucille-directed pilot, 1981; Life With Lucy, 3 episodes, 1986; Lucy and Desi: A Home Movie , as himself, 1993; with Lucille, both by archival footage, 50 Years of Funny Females, as himself, 1995; as well as himself, via archival footage, American Masters, “Finding Lucyâ€, 2000, and Working With Lucy: A Conversation With James E. Brodhead, 2010, is born this date in 1906.

John Charles Daly, host of long-running TV “What’s My Line?â€, 783 episodes, 1950-1967; on which Lucille and Desi Arnaz appear many times, and neighbor of DeDe (Lucille’s mother), Lucille, Lucie and Desi IV when Lucille was appearing in Wildcat, is born this date in 1914.

Amanda Blake, of Gunsmoke fame, 457 episodes, 1955-1974; appears with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, A Star is Born World Premiere, 1954; as well as guest star, Desilu Studios-filmed, The Red Skelton Show, 7 episodes, 1957-1960; is born this date in 1929.

Lucille Ball appears in RKO Radio film Follow The Fleet, W. Argyle Nelson, long-time associate of Lucille Ball and the Arnazes in later years, as Assistant Director, film released this date in 1936.

LA Evening Herald Express, What the Picture Did for Me: - That Girl From Paris – Classy work, with Lucille Ball, Lily Pons, Gene Raymond, and Jack Oakie,†published this date in 1937.

Film Daily – RKO Radio – Don’t Tell The Wife – Well-paced humor-filled feature, co-starring Lucille Ball and Una Merkel, among others,†published this date in 1937.

LA Examiner, Behind the Makeup, Harry Crocker: “Early to Wed marks the fourth assignment for Lucille Ball in front of the Technicolor camera†this date in 1945.

Sandy Duncan, appears with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; with Lucille Ball, The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, 1984; with Lucille and Lucie, Night of 100 Stars II, 1985; as well as with Lucille, via archival footage, You Know The Face, 2009; is born this date in 1946.

[‘Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude to “I Love Lucy†which made history and will perpetuate.] LA Examiner, Hollywood With . . . Lucille Ball, Louella O. Parsons: “ . . . in a heart-to-heart talk with me, tells how she has worked out her 8 years of marriage to Desi Arnaz – a philosophy that seems to have worked for them . . . now . . . One thing I like about Lucille, she never gives you any double talk. She is always straight from the shoulder, which is helpful. She fights for what she believes is right. She’s a girl who is a little hard to know; but once you know her, she can talk you into her side in nothing flat. Lucille is an excellent comedienne, and photographs like a million. I look for her to do something special this year,†published this date in 1949.

[‘Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude to “I Love Lucy†which made history and will perpetuate.] The Hollywood Reporter: “Amending our February 15 announcement: “Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz will do their first TV show for CBS on March 2, over a closed circuit at the Hollywood studios. Program will be kinescoped for sponsors’ viewing in the East. Show is a CBS package, produced by Jess Oppenheimer, producer of Miss Ball’s ‘My Favorite Husband’ radio program, and will be directed by Ralph Levy, doubling from similar chores on CBS Radio’s ‘Burns and Allen’ program,†published this date in 1951.

Jamestown Post Journal: Preview at 10:10 tonight of The Long, Long Trailer, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz’ latest MGM film, which starts at Shea’s Theater (now The Lucille Ball Little Theater of Jamestown) Saturday night, published this date in 1954.

Jamestown Post Journal – Editorial – They All Love Lucy: “Now the emotional binge occasioned by the visit of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz is over and the parties are back to their respective ‘daily routine’ it is interesting to look back and consider what a powerful kick a jugful of three-star promotion can deliver, in the short- and long-range, putting Jamestown on ‘the map’ every time Post-Journal photos are shown in connection with Forever Darling, and Lucille and Desi’s ‘homecoming,’†published this date in 1956.

Desi Arnaz makes a guest star appearance, Desilu Productions’, December Bride “Sunken Denâ€, which airs on this date in 1956.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy Goes to Scotlandâ€, guest co-starring Larry Orenstein, as the Mayor of Kildoonan (who wrote the original score) – Larry shared memories of Lucille and Desi at Lucille’s Jamestown NY Birthday Celebration - 2004, (as well as the actual musical lyricist of six songs in the skit). Eliot Daniel, Oscar-nominated in 1949, author of the (“I Love Lucyâ€) theme song and incidental music for the first few seasons, also provided songs for this episode; and Norma Zimmer, portraying one of the townsfolk, would become famous on Lawrence Welk, as his Champagne Lady, years later; which airs this date 1956.

Variety: Desi Arnaz and a battery of top-ranked executives spent the first months of 1958 in closed-door negotiations with CBS - a long-standing Arnaz dream came to fruition in what “is deemed ‘telefilm’s most ambitious series to date’, Desilu Playhouse, announced as a CBS’ 1958-59 season entry, calling for 37 hour-long films establishing a production outlay of approximately $7.5 million,†published this date in 1958.

Variety: Wildcat is scheduled to resume, and bolstering the interrupted momentum with an appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show (performing ‘Hey, Look Me Over!â€) the night before, Lucille returned to the show on the promised date, and did standing-room-only business; but soon announced she would temporarily shut down the entire production beginning the last week in May,†published this date in 1961.

Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) appears, as Clara Appleby, on The Red Skelton Show co-starring with Red, “The Iceman Goethâ€, co-starring Isabel Randolph, among others,airing this date in 1962.

The Lucy Show “Lucy, the Fight Manager†- Bob O’Brien, writer, Don Rickles as guest co-star, and a script reminiscent of “K.O. Kitty,†Desilu Playhouse 1958, in which Lucy becomes a fight manager, airing this date in 1967.

Walter Winchell, Lucille Ball early film-career, 1933, voice only, with writing credits; narrator, 1949; Desilu Productions’ The Walter Winchell File, 1952; as Host and himself, 1956, and 10 episodes, as himself, between 1957-1959; additional year, 1960, as himself; Desilu Productions’ The Scarface Mob, aka The Untouchables, 1959, The Guns of Zangara, 1960, both as Narrator/voice only; Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959, and The Untouchables, as narrator; The Lucy Show, 1966, as narrator. dies this date in 1972.

Lucie Arnaz guest stars on The $25,000 Pyramid, with Clifton Davis, on this date in 1975.

Hollywood Reporter, TV Talk: . . . in which Vivian Vance & William Frawley (The Mertzes) appear together, published this date in 1991.

Dick York, of Bewitched fame, as the first Darrin, as well as Desilu Productions', The Untouchables, 1960, dies this date in 1992.

Bob Weiskopf (“I Love Lucyâ€) ‘second-team’ writer, joins original writers, Madelyn Pugh and Bob Carroll, Jr.; writer, teleplay, Desilu Productions', Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Danny Thomas Show, 1953; with Bob Schiller, the fifth year of (“I Love Lucyâ€), 50 episodes, 1955-57; writer, Desilu Productions’, Our Miss Brooks, 1952; writer (“I Love Lucyâ€) Christmas Show, 1956; writer, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959; writer, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, 2 episodes, 1958; 3 episodes, 1959, and the final episode, 1960; writer, Desilu Productions’, Guestward Ho!, 1960; then, taking over from Madelyn Pugh Martin and Bob Carroll, Jr., for the first The Lucy Show, 1962; 2 episodes, 1963; Martin, Carroll return, 1962, forming the quartet; leave The Lucy Show, early 1964, to work for Red Skelton; guest, Lucy and Desi: A Home Movie, 1993; (“I Love Lucyâ€) 50th Anniversary Specialm 2001, dies this date in 2001.

John Raitt, guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, 1958; as well as appears with Desi Arnaz, IV, 1972; dies this date in 2005.

The Post-Journal, Information Center - In Years Past – 10 Years Ago: “Organizers for the second comedy festival, Lucyfest, Jamestown NY, in mid-September, an official is on her way to try for an appearance on Oprah television talk show, a tryout focusing on small communities celebrating famous people and their sons and daughters,†published this date in 2006.

The Post-Journal, Region – An Evening of Good Humor, “Women’s Heart Event to Promote Laughter as Good Medicine†by The Post-Journal Staff: “The Jamestown Savings Bank Ice Arena (along with Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center) with other sponsors, is hosting the third annual Evening of Heart, Health and Humor, March 1,†published this date in 2007.

February 21

Ann Sheridan, Lucille Ball, early film-career co star, 1934, is born this date in 1915.

Rue McClanahan, of Golden Girls' fame, presenter, appears with Lucille Ball, The 33rd Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, 1981; nominee, appears with Lucille, The 38rd Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, 1986; appears with Lucille and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), each via archival footage, 50 Years of Funny Females, 1995; appears with Lucie Arnaz, CBS at 75, 2003; as well as with Lucille and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), via archival footage, TV's Greatest Sidekicks, 2004; is born this date in 1934.

LA Evening Herald Express, Sally Moore: “Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz at the Biltmore Bowl, with friends,†published this date in 1942.

Vivian Vance stars, as Leah, in RKO Pictures' The Secret Fury, directed by Mel Ferrer, co-starring Claudette Colbert, Philip Ober, (her then-husband), and Robert Ryan, released this date in 1950.

Jamestown Post Journal Staffoto: TV Star – Then and Now – “Lucille Ball, top-ranking television star, as she sits with husband, Desi Arnaz, signing $8 million contract for (“I Love Lucyâ€),†published this date in 1953.

Lucille Ball is the “Mystery Guest†on NBC’s (“What’s My Line?â€). John Daly host, while Lucy is spokesperson, on publicity tour for the Heart Fund Charity, airs this date in 1954.

Desi Arnaz, as Ricardo, The Orchestra Leader, and the Desi Arnaz Orchestra, perform at CBS-TV General Service Studios (“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy Gets in Pictures,†one of the few times Lucy does get into the act, after trying to get discovered at Schwab’s, as public relations reported Lana Turner did, co-starring Lou Krugman, Robert Jellison and Louis A. Nicoletti, Marco Rizo wrote a special song, Lucy's Mambo, and 'spring' it on the audience first night of filming, airing this date in 1955.

Lucille Ball appears in Look Magazine, this date in 1956.

Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, “Call Home The Heartâ€, co-starring Teru Shimata, among others, airs this date in 1956.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra record the background music for (“I Love Lucyâ€), Episode #174, and which episode is filmed this date in 1957.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy’s Night in Town,†an episode with Lucy ordering four tickets to a Broadway show, is filmed this date in 1957.

The Marriage-Go-Round – Royal Poinciana Playhouse, Palm Beach, Florida, with Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz), who also toured to the Bahamas, in Nassau, this week in 1961.

Desi Arnaz, planning to launch his comeback with a motion picture project, is derailed in those plans, in favor of developing four new program properties and a contract between CBS and Desi Arnaz Productions, this date in 1966.

The Lucy Show “Lucy and Bob Crane†- Bob Crane as guest co-star, in the last of the “Iron Man†shows, airing this date in 1966.

William Newell, co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1939, with William, 1941; Lucille Ball, early film-career co-star, MGM; with William, 1948, 1949, and 1950; with both Lucille and William: Columbia, 1950; guest, Desilu Productions’, Our Miss Brooks, 1955, The Texan, 1958, cast member, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959; and guest, Desilu Productions’, The Untouchables, 1960; dies this date in 1967.

NY Post: “Lucille, being quiet, envied the self-confidence of Bette Davis,†published this date in 1970.

“Kim Finally Cuts You-Know-Who’s Apron Strings†(“Here’s Lucyâ€), hoping to create a vehicle for Kim (Lucie Arnaz) to branch out on her own, and with Lucy veteran supporting cast member, Vanda Barra, airing this date 1972.

Desi Arnaz Sr., memorably hosts NBC’s Saturday Night Live, NYC, Season 1, Episode 14, with the original SNL cast, and guest co-star, Desi Arnaz IV; - Desi Arnaz and Orchestra, and Desi Arnaz IV perform, without Lucille Ball; but, her presence is strongly felt throughout, while Desi III promotes his “A Bookâ€, and Desi IV does an almost eerie imitation of his father, in satirical salute to (“I Love Lucyâ€) - a sketch combining (“I Love Lucyâ€) and The Untouchables, and Gilda Radner performing her hysterical impression of Lucy Ricardo, the Desi(s) joining in a huge conga line around the studio, and one of the last times Desi III sings in public, airng this date in 1976.

Louis Hayward, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, 1940; Desilu Productions', Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, two-time guest, 1959, as well as Kraft Mystery Theater, 1962, dies this date in 1985.

Desert Sun, (Palm Springs), Christopher Michael: “Public Art in the Valley: A Critical Tour,†published this date in 2002.

Ok, Feb 17th, Hal Holbrook, i do not get the connection to Desi Arnaz jr Saturday Night Live and the Rolling Stones, everything else i understand, he WAS with Desi and with Lucy and even Lucie but Desi Arnaz jr and SNL has nothing to do with Hal as far as i know.

Checking, dear; thanks for keeping me on my toes....Love, JK

Checking, dear; thanks for keeping me on my toes....Love, JK

IMDb says both Hal and Desi, IV, were "UNCREDITED" guests/cast on that particular show, and that particular episode with The Rolling Stones.

I should point out that ANY appearances, whether acting or archival, or anything else, mentioned or published for the Arnaz Family members, Bill and Viv, are put in my chronology, since ("I Love Lucy") ; probably My Favorite Husband; heck no, Lucille's birth, are important in this chronology....

We'll have to save the 'others' for the next volume, if I ever get volume #1 done; published, and (here's the key word: SOLD)....

Love, JK

I knew Lucy bought a house for her mom, in Brentwood i believe, to be closer to her, but this is the very first time i hear about any of her neighbors there, John Daly of What's My Line that you mention there. I was wondering why you do not put the main names leading the entries in B O L D E R face so younger people who do not know who some of the older people are would automatically go to the names they recognize and also, when the entry goes on and on like one of my posts, it helps to have the name we are reading about in B O L D face for emphasis as we read other names mentionned in the tie ins to the main name. Otherwis it might be a bit confusing, like at the end of the lengthy post on Desi sr, i saw the date of his death as '85 instead of the correct '86, but then noticed i had not seen the name Louis Calhern who was the one dying in '85. And Joyce, i cannot say it enough times, but the entries have too many names the readers cannot recall without a small picture to jar our memories and the small pics would seperate the entries and make things clearer. I know getting pics for everybody would be ridiculously time consuming but at least SOME would help.

I knew Lucy bought a house for her mom, in Brentwood i believe, to be closer to her, but this is the very first time i hear about any of her neighbors there, John Daly of What's My Line that you mention there. I was wondering why you do not put the main names leading the entries in B O L D E R face so younger people who do not know who some of the older people are would automatically go to the names they recognize and also, when the entry goes on and on like one of my posts, it helps to have the name we are reading about in B O L D face for emphasis as we read other names mentionned in the tie ins to the main name. Otherwis it might be a bit confusing, like at the end of the lengthy post on Desi sr, i saw the date of his death as '85 instead of the correct '86, but then noticed i had not seen the name Louis Calhern who was the one dying in '85. And Joyce, i cannot say it enough times, but the entries have too many names the readers cannot recall without a small picture to jar our memories and the small pics would seperate the entries and make things clearer. I know getting pics for everybody would be ridiculously time consuming but at least SOME would help.

I agree with all you are suggesting, Claude dear; but, here's MY thought - my original work DOES HAVE the first few words (names), etc., in bold, to separate the entries; and does have 'space' between the entries. It's just way too time-consuming when I bring my work over to the Lounge that I have left it as it comes over from my Word Document to try to re-work it for the Lounge. As it is, it sometimes takes me an hour to remove a lot of the 'stuff'; so-as-not to 'help' those who might try to pirate the work, and get the jump on my publication should it EVER get to that stage. I'm also trying to get that fellow on this Lounge who does all the artwork to contribute to this publication. He has not agreed as yet; so, there WILL BE pictures, also, one way or another.

Now, as to my way of thinking, this is a chronology (diary, if you will, and I KNOW most of these folks are gone; but, so is Lucille, Desi, Bill, Viv, and so many others from My Favorite Husband, her films, ("I Love Lucy"), and every other thing, etc., it would be impossible not to acknowledge those she interacted with over the years; was friends with over the years; acted with, etc., you get the idea? ALL are integral to the 'work'. It's my belief and feeling if I'm continuing her diary, which went missing in 1942; and have found nothing to suggest it had been 'returned', if only for HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE, do I make entries of all these folks, as she likely would do if she were here to do it.

Clear as mud, huh? As my husband fondly said: "I only stay with you cause I never know what you are going to do next, and I wanna watch...." [Much like Lucy and Ricky, huh?] My daughter, at about 16, said: "Mom - you and Grandma are NUTS... and I feel myself getting just like you!!!!"

Love, JK

I agree with all you are suggesting, Claude dear; but, here's MY thought - my original work DOES HAVE the first few words (names), etc., in bold, to separate the entries; and does have 'space' between the entries. It's just way too time-consuming when I bring my work over to the Lounge that I have left it as it comes over from my Word Document to try to re-work it for the Lounge. As it is, it sometimes takes me an hour to remove a lot of the 'stuff'; so-as-not to 'help' those who might try to pirate the work, and get the jump on my publication should it EVER get to that stage. I'm also trying to get that fellow on this Lounge who does all the artwork to contribute to this publication. He has not agreed as yet; so, there WILL BE pictures, also, one way or another.

Now, as to my way of thinking, this is a chronology (diary, if you will, and I KNOW most of these folks are gone; but, so is Lucille, Desi, Bill, Viv, and so many others from My Favorite Husband, her films, ("I Love Lucy"), and every other thing, etc., it would be impossible not to acknowledge those she interacted with over the years; was friends with over the years; acted with, etc., you get the idea? ALL are integral to the 'work'. It's my belief and feeling if I'm continuing her diary, which went missing in 1942; and have found nothing to suggest it had been 'returned', if only for HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE, do I make entries of all these folks, as she likely would do if she were here to do it.

Clear as mud, huh? As my husband fondly said: "I only stay with you cause I never know what you are going to do next, and I wanna watch...." [Much like Lucy and Ricky, huh?] My daughter, at about 16, said: "Mom - you and Grandma are NUTS... and I feel myself getting just like you!!!!"

Love, JK

So sorry dearest Joyce, should have known that. Sounds great.

Archived