Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Chronology - Week 4 - February

leenorman

February 22

Sheldon Leonard, Desilu Productions', Our Miss Brooks, 1952, as camera director; Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz', long-time friend and supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1953; produced (12), and directed (60) episodes, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Make Room For Daddy, starring Danny Thomas; produced and directed The Danny Thomas Show, 1959; Director, Desilu Studios-filmed, The Real McCoys, (actor, 6 episodes, 1957); director, Desilu Studios'-filmed, My Favorite Martian, 1963, The Dick Van Dyke Show, 4 episodes, 1961-63, Make Room for Daddy, 60 episodes, 1953-1963, The Bill Dana Show, 5 episodes, 1963-64, Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C., 1964, and The Andy Griffith Show, 2 episodes, 1960-1965; produced and directed A Danny Thomas Special, 1965; unit director, 5 episodes, 1965; star, Desilu Studios'-filmed, I Spy, 1966, second unit director, 2 episodes, 1966; writer, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Andy Griffith Show, 5 episodes, 1963-67; The Lucy Show, 1967; one of the most successful TV producers of all time, having also appeared in 1938 Stage Play, Kiss The Boys Goodbye, with Phil Ober (Vivian Vance’s - Lucy's Ethel Mertz - future husband); Vivian, William Frawley (Lucy’s The Mertzes); and Roy Roberts, veteran supporting cast member, and in each of future Lucy shows fame; as well as with Lucille and Desi, via archival footage, TV Land Moguls: The 50’s, 2004, is born this date in 1907.

Robert Young, of Father Knows Best and Marcus Welby, M.D., fame, appears, as host, with Desi Arnaz, IV, with an all-star guest cast, Salute to Oscar Hammerstein II, 1972; appears, uncredited, with Lucille Ball, via archival footage, That's Entertainment III, 1994, is born this date in 1907.

Lucille Ball appears, uncredited, as Bank Employee, in Columbia film, The Whole Town’s Talking, directed by John Ford, and starring Jean Arthur, Paul Harvey, Edward G. Robinson, among others; as well as, in uncredited roles, Brooks Benedict, Don Brodie, Bess Flowers, Pat O'Malley, released this date in 1935.

[‘Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude to Lucille and Desi’s moving them toward the now-world-famous (“I Love Lucyâ€), which made history and will perpetuate.] Lucille Ball makes a guest-star appearance and performs what will serve her well in a couple of years in her role on (“I Love Lucyâ€) on Milton Berle, NBC’s The Texaco Star Theater, the first season of a trailblazing variety hour, which debuts this date in 1949.

Desi Arnaz and the Desi Arnaz Orchestra record the background music for CBS-TV(“I Love Lucyâ€), Episode #25, and which episode is filmed this date in 1952.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Ricky Loses His Temper†- when Lucy makes a bet with Ricky about his temper, co-starring Madge Blake, airing this date 1954.

Florabel Muir, writer: During an interview, William Frawley (Lucy’s Fred Mertz) was hounded for autographs and told a fan: “Being yourself is what it’s all about in television; everyone thinks you are just being yourself,†and Vivian Vance, (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz), also interviewed in the same article: Women give me suspicious looks when I’m out with my husband, as though I’m stepping out,†in 1955.

Nassau Guardian, Jack Gordon: “Miss Vance’s vivacious sparkle and adroit comedy style, I noticed the audience was entranced, for the warm and amusing womanâ€, review of The Marriage-Go-Round - originated at the Royal Poinciana Playhouse, Palm Beach, Florida, with Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz), who also toured to Nassau, Bahamas, for this week in 1961.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy Goes Hawaiian, Part II†- Mooney putting Lucy in charge of a talent show; Desi IV’s last Lucy show; and Vivian (Vivian Vance - Lucy's Ethel Mertz) singing for one of her last public times, with Lucie Arnaz, as Kim Carter, airing this date 1971.

Lucille Ball makes a guest appearance to ‘roast’ friend and neighbor, Jack Benny, on NBC’s, A Dean Martin Roast: “Jack Benny,†airing this date in 1974.

Dick Kallman, one of several Lucille Ball protégés of late 1950’s Desilu Playhouse, guest co-star, 1959, 1960, dies this date in 1980.

Desi Arnaz IV guest appears to 'plug' his TV Series, Automan, on ABC's, Good Morning America, with hosts, David Hartman and Joan Lunden, on this date in 1984.

John Kellogg, co-star William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1952; as well as Desilu Productions', The Untouchables, 3 episodes, 1962, dies this date in 2000.

Larry Orenstein, actor, writer, lyricist, wrote songs for (“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy Goes to Scotlandâ€, 1956; wrote lyrics for the baseball song, “Lucy and Bob Hopeâ€, 1956, as well as Headliner Guest, Lucille Ball Birthday Bash, Jamestown, NY, 2004, dies this date in 2006.

The Lucy-Desi Center has made special arrangements with Cindy De La Hoz, the author of a new Lucille Ball book, Lucy At The Movies, and Ms. De La Hoz has agreed to personalize copies to anyone placing a pre-order through the Lucy-Desi Center’s online store. Lucie Arnaz said: "This was an enormous undertaking. But,It is clear that it was also a labor of love. I know my mother would be very impressed and flattered by your dedication to her film work and chronicling her career in general, as you have in the biography section, and would deeply appreciate all of your hard work. This encyclopedia of information on, not only the film career of Lucille Ball, but the way films were made, is an invaluable history of the motion picture industry and those who first created it,†announced this date in 2007.

February 23

Majel Barrett, guest co-star, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959; The Lucy Show 1962; Lucille Ball film, A Guide For The Married Man, 1967; star, Desilu Productions', Star Trek, 33 episodes, 1966-69, is born this date in 1932.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), stars in Paramount Pictures', Bolero. as Mike DeBaere, co-starring, among others, Carole Lombard, Ray Milland, George Raft, Sally Rand, released this date in 1934.

LA Evening Herald Express, Jimmy Starr: “Ginger Rogers should tack up a sign reading: ‘Talent Scout’. Already she has four

‘discoveries’ to her credit, such up and coming youngsters as . . . Lucille Ball,†published this date in 1937.

Hollywood Citizen News: “ . . . Allan Lane, one of RKO’s busiest contract players was assigned the spot opposite Lucille Ball in The Second Shot,†published this date in 1939.

Peter Fonda, son of Lucille Ball early-film career friend, Henry Fonda; guest co-star, Desilu Productions', Here’s Hollywood, 1962; with Lucie Arnaz and Lucille Ball, Circus of the Stars #2, 1977; as well as with Lucille, The American Film Institute Salute to Henry Fonda, 1978, is born this date in 1940.

Lucille Ball, while filming DuBarry Was A Lady, had two strange occurrences - one in the valley over Coldwater Canyon and the other just past four vacant lots where Birmingham Hospital was later to be built – just having had temporary lead fillings in her teeth, ‘felt herself hearing music' and Morse Code signals; reported it; and, as later reported, ultimately resulted in the arrest of Japanese spies in California, this date in 1942.

[‘Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude to Lucille and Desi’s now-world-famous pairing of (“I Love Lucyâ€) which made history and will perpetuate.] The Hollywood Reporter: “Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz are set to audition via closed circuit kine for situation comedy (2/20/51 reported a reschedule to 3/2/51),†published this date in 1951.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Men are Messy†– a re-run, with fresh footage, airs this date in 1953.

Desilu Studios'-filmed, Make Room for Daddy “Margaret's Birthdayâ€, Sheldon Leonard, Producer/Director, James A. Paisley, Assistant Director, starring Danny Thomas, Rusty Hamer; co-starring Jean Hagen, Sherry Jackson, Shirley Mitchell, among others; with W. Argyle Nelson, Production Manager; Dann Cahn, Editorial Supervisor, and Mel Shavelson, Story Consultant; airs this date in 1953.

Look Magazine advertises Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz’s movie The Long, Long Trailer, on this date in 1954.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra record the background music for CBS-TV (“I Love Lucyâ€), Episode #148, filmed this date in 1956.

Hattie Carnegie, mentor, and one of Lucille Ball’s first employers, dies this date in 1956.

Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, “Martin’s Follyâ€, 1959, starring Tony Randall, Carl Reiner and Phil Ober, airs this date in 1959.

Desilu Productions', Angel, created by Jess Oppenheimer; as Executive Producer, starring Annie Farge, as Angel; “The French Lesson†co-starring Don Keefer, Doris Singleton, Marshall Thompson; with Eliot Daniel, composer, original music; Wilbur Hatch, original music; Irma Kusely, hair stylist; W. Argyle Nelson, Production Supervisor, and James A. Paisley, Production Manager, airs this date in 1961.

Stan Laurel, long-time friend and mentor of Lucille Ball; guest, Desilu Productions', Fractured Flickers. 1963, dies this date in 1965.

Frank Gerstle, uncredited role, with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), 1951; supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€). 1953. 1956; co-star Arnazes film, 1953; guest co-star, Desilu Productions’, Cavalcade of America,, 1956; The Californians, 1957; U.S. Marshal, 1959; The Untouchables, 1959, 1960; Glynis, 1963; as well as film with Desi Arnaz IV, Murderers’ Row, 1966; dies this date in 1970.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy Takes Over†- an old diary is found as well as a promissory note owing Lucy money, with resultant hilarity, airing this date 1970.

Lucille Ball appears on The David Frost Show, with Carol Burnett and George Burns, on this date in 1971.

On the Town, Ed Sullivan: “Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz) said at Joe’s Pier 53 she has almost finished her book. It deals largely with her winning battle against cancer,†this date in 1974.

Fuzzy Knight, on-stage co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1928; Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, 1934, 1938; co-star, Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1952; as well as guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Joey Bishop Show, 1962, dies this date in 1976.

NY Daily News - Pete Hamill: Lucie Arnaz: “New York seemed cloudy and dark, a place of perpetual gloom compared to the clear light of our own Beverly Hills; (Lucille Ball starring in Wildcat),†published this date in 1979.

Phil Terry, Desi Arnaz’ co-star, Bataan, dies this date in 1993.

The Post-Journal: An Evening of . . . Heart, Health and Style - Lucie Arnaz To Speak At ‘February is Heart Month’ Women’s Heart Event – “Lucie, an actress, singer and dancer will give the keynote address: ‘Surviving Success’, Lucie’s interpretation of managing life while in the spotlight - the daughter of Jamestown’s, Lucille Ball, and husband, Desi Arnaz, who were very active in the American Heart Association over five years previous to serving as Co-Chairmen two concurrent years in 1956,†published this date in 2006.

Tom Watson, Lucille Ball historian, author of several Lucy-related books and President – (We Love Lucy: The International Lucille Ball Fan Club) is now adding “radio show host†to his list of credentials with the creation of a new, live internet radio series devoted to Lucille. Star Notes (named after the hugely popular Lucy fan club publications of the past) features Tom live, 1:00-3:00 p.m., (Pacific time) every Saturday on Shokus Internet Radio. The program repeats from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (Eastern time) on Sundays and Monday-Friday, 4:00-6:00 p.m. (Eastern). Tom’s in-studio guests (tomorrow!) include Lucille’s longtime secretary, Wanda Clark, and Frank Gorey, Lucy’s chauffeur for more than 20 years! To enjoy the show, just visit shokusradio and click on one of the three audio icons on the bottom of the home page. Shokus Internet Radio is owned and operated by Stu Shostak who also has a significant Lucille connection, Lucille’s personal film archivist, announced this date in 2007.

February 24

Marjorie Main, ‘Ma Kettle’ of the movies; the Arnazes co-star, The Long, Long Trailer, 1954; as well as Desilu Productions', December Bride, 1956, is born this date in 1890.

Milton Frome, supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1954; Desilu Productions’, Cavalcade of America, 1956, The Texan, 1958, Guestward Ho!, 1961, Glynis, 1963; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Joey Bishop Show, 1963; as well as Lucille Ball guest, (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1972; is born this date in 1909.

Steven Hill, co-star, Desilu Productions', The Untouchables, 1960, 1962, The Greatest Show on Earth, 1964, as well as Mission: Impossible, 28 episodes, 1966-1967; is born this date in 1922.

Jay Sandrich, Assistant Director, 14 episodes (“I Love Lucyâ€) 1957 Season; Assistant Director, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, 1959; Assistant Director, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Make Room for Daddy, 2 episodes, 1960; Desilu Productions', The Untouchables, Assistant Director, 1961; (“Here’s Lucyâ€), Director, 1970; TV Land Moguls, achival footage of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, 2004, as well as with Lucille and Desi, archivally, Make 'Em Laugh: The Funny Business of America, 2009; is born this date in 1932.

James Farentino, of Dynasty and Melrose Place fame; Desi Arnaz co-star, The Virginian, 1970, is born this date in 1938.

Lucille Ball appears in RKO Radio film, Beauty For The Asking, as Jean Russell, also starring Patric Knowles, Donald Woods, as well as, uncredited, Leon Belasco, released this date in 1939.

LA Examiner, The Hollywood Parade, Bill Wickersham: “Noted at the Racket Club, listening to Phil Harris’ music, Biltmore Bowl, from luncheon time to the cocktail hour were Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz and friends,†published this date in 1942.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear, My Favorite Husband “Liz Redecorates the House†– episode #77, with veteran supporting cast member, Hans Conried, airs this date in 1950.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear, My Favorite Husband “The Two Mothers-In-Law,†– episode #120, airs this date in 1951.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra record the background music for (“I Love Lucyâ€), Episode #121, which episode is filmed this date in 1955.

(The Lucy Show) “Lucy Takes a Job at the Bank†- hilarious skit with veteran supporting cast members, Mary Jane Croft and Carole Cook - Lucy gets a job handing out toasters at the bank to get Jerry a new tuba; with Costumer for seven episodes of TLS, Della Fox, airing this date in 1964.

TheLucyLounge website: Courtesy: ‘Harry Carter’ (7/1/09) – “Lucille Ball appears on Art Linkletter’s ‘House Party’ plugging her ‘Let’s Talk to Lucy’ Radio Program, [a series of special programs pairing her with other legendary performers she interviews following the long-running success of her (“Here’s Lucyâ€) show], on this date in 1965.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy Gets Her Man†- Victor Buono guest co-stars in a spy segment, the third of the series, airing this date 1969.

Lucille Ball is nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Yours, Mine, and Ours, Best Motion Picture Actress-Musical-Comedy, this date in 1969.

Johnnie Ray, appears with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz Toast of the Town 1958; as well as Desilu Productions' Shower of Stars 1955 and 1956, dies this date in 1990.

John Daly, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz’ friend and (“What’s My Line?â€) moderator, dies this date in 1991.

George Gobel, Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz) co-star, a segment of Love-American Style, 1969 and short-lived TV series, Sam, 1978, dies this date in 1991.

Dinah Shore, Lucille Ball’s long-time friend; guest star, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Make Room for Daddy, 1957-58; (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1971; with Desi Arnaz, IV, 1972; with Lucille and Desi IV, on TV, 1978; with Lucille, Desi IV, and Keith Thibodeaux (“I Love Lucy†Little Ricky) guest on The Dinah Shore Chevy Show, 1960, Dinah!, 1974, 1975, Lucille, again in 1976; and Dinah!, 1977; appears with Lucille, Dinah, is co-hostess, 1981; Bob Hope Special, with Lucille and others, 1982, with Lucie Arnaz and Lucille, 1985; appears with Lucille, archivally, 1994; as well as with Desi and Lucille, via archival footage, 1997, dies this date in 1994.

Henny Youngman, appears with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1956; as well as with Lucille Ball and Lucie Arnaz, 1985, dies this date in 1998.

Don Knotts, 5-time Emmy Award winner, The Andy Griffith Show, 1960-65; guest, Desilu Productions’, Here’s Hollywood, 1961; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Joey Bishop Show, 1964, Lucille Ball’s guest co-star, (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1973, as well as with Lucille, both archivally, TV's 50 Funniest Phrases, 2009, dies this date in 2006.

Dennis Weaver, co-star of Gunsmoke fame, co-star in Desilu Productions', You Don’t Say, as himself, 1964, dies this date in 2006.

February 25

Zeppo Marx, member of legendary Marx Brothers, is born this date in 1901.

Seaman Jacobs, writer, Desilu Studios'-filmed, My Favorite Martian, 1963, with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) My Three Sons, 3 episodes, 1963-64; writer, The Lucy Show, 1967; Desilu Productions', The Mothers’In-Law, 5 episodes, 1967-68; Desilu Studios'-filmed, Family Affair, 1 episode, 1967; Lucille's guest, (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1969, 1971, 1972, 1974; and Lucille-directed Bungle Abbey, 1981, is born this date in 1912.

Jim Backus, Lucille Ball early-film career co-star. Easy Living; 1949; Lucille co-star, My Favorite Husband; the Arnazes long-time friend; and husband of Natalie Schafer, (“I Love Lucyâ€) guest co-star; Desilu Productions', The Untouchables, 1960; and Lucille Ball co-star, Critic’s Choice, 1963; as well as co-star, Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), Password All-Stars, 1965, and Getting Away From It All, 1972, is born this date in 1913.

Larry Gelbart, screenwriter, Opening Night, 1962, Lucille Ball appears, with Jack Benny, Andy Griffith, Garry Moore, and Danny Thomas, a series of sketches and blackout skits, featuring CBS' top stars, kicking off the 1962 fall season, all five reminiscing about what they were doing twenty years previously, with Lucille, archivally, Bob Hope: Hollywood's Brightest Star, 1996, as well as appears with Lucille and Desi, archivally, Make 'Em Laugh: The Funny Business of America, 2009; is born this date in 1928.

Motion Picture Herald – What The Picture Did For Me – W. H. Brenner: Room Service: “Poor ratings for Marx Bros. and Lucille Ball movie, when people pay good money to come to theater and watch a poor movie; then, go home and listen to Marx Bros. on Radio for free,†published this date in 1939.

Bart Andrews, Lucy author, The (“I Love Lucyâ€) Book, 1985, an expanded version of a 1976 book he co-wrote: 'Lucy & Ricky & Fred & Ethel', an early definitive appreciation of the classic sitcom, was the first to write a history of the 'Lucy' show and wrote 4 Lucy books; also worked with Arnazes friend, producer/actor, Sheldon Leonard, is born this date in 1945.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear My Favorite Husband “Absentmindedness,†– episode #33, with veteran supporting cast members, Florence Halop, Shirley Mitchell and Frank Nelson, airs this date in 1949.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “The Young Fansâ€. directed by Bill Asher, in which Fred and Ethel do not appear, and guest co-starring Richard Crenna, preparing for his legendary radio role in Our Miss Brooks, this skit revolving around a love-sick-for-Lucy, Crenna, who needs to be gently discouraged, and which episode is based on My Favorite Husband “Liz Teaches the Samba,â€, also co-starring Janet Waldo, airing this date in 1952.

Jamestown Post Journal: “Lucille Ball Will Tell Own Story of Success – Jamestown’s Own Radio and TV Star Writes for Post-Journal – Lucille Ball will return for three days, in spirit, for she will author a story in her own words, and how she succeeded in gaining the theatrical heights upon which she now reigns. Her by-lined story will be entitled, “How I Broke Into the Movies,†along with accompanying pictures from other visits to Jamestown; i.e. 1/22/44 and 6/15/46,†published this date in 1953.

Mary Shipp, veteran supporting cast member, Lucille Ball, My Favorite Husband radio show, 2 episodes, 1948; as well as guest star, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Lineup, starring Warner Anderson and Tom Tully, among others, airing this date in 1955.

CBS The Lucy Show – 30-minutes, black & white – not a misprint, nor Miss Ball’s classic 1960’s sitcom. Re-runs of (“I Love Lucyâ€), Sundays, has done so well for CBS, it decides to add this extra night of (“I Love Lucyâ€) re-runs, Saturdays, in the early evening. New graphics are made to reflect the change of title and sponsor this date in 1956.

Desilu Productions', made-for-TV movie, The Gun of Zangara, a dramatization of events leading up to the attempted Assassination of President-elect FDR, Miami Beach, 1933 - Quinn Martin, Executive Producer, Nelson Riddle, Original Music, Sandy Grace, Set Decoration, and Walter Winchell, Narrator, archivally and uncredited; starring, each archivally; Robert Stack, as Eliot Ness; Joe Mantell, Robert Middleton; with Claude Akins, Eleanor Audley, Richard Deacon, Paul Frees, Abel Fernandez, Nicholas Georgiade, Bruce Gordon, Ray Kellogg, Steve London (who starred in 64 episodes of later Desilu Series, The Untouchables); Addison Richards, Lee Van Cleef, among others, all arhivally and uncredited, airs this date in 1960.

The Lucy Show “Lucy and Viv Learn Judo†- teaching it to their sons, backfires. This is the last episode in which Harry appears, airing this date in 1963.

Desilu Productions', The Greatest Show on Earth “Clancyâ€, starring Jack Palance, as Johnny Slate, co-starring Edmond O'Brien, Larry Storch and Skip Ward, among others, airs this date in 1964.

The New York Times: “Ten days after proposed sale to Lucille was revealed to stockholders, Desi Arnaz announced he is renting space at Desilu Culver to film The Mothers-In-Law. Of the leasing arrangements: ‘I may as well give the money to Mama,†this date in 1967.

Sean Astin, son of Patty Duke Astin; writer, producer, director, multi-nominated and several award-winnings; actor, (The Goonies, Rudy, Memphis Belle, Lord of the Rings; The Low Life, Toy Soldiers, Staying Together, and Kangaroo Court), and Academy Award-nominated director, Kangaroo Court, 1994; guest co-star, Lucie Arnaz’ Legacy of Laughter, Boulder City, Nevada, March 2007, is born this date in 1971.

A special showing, the World Premiere of Mame, occurred at the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, this date in 1974.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€),“Lucy and Phil Harris Strike Up the Bandâ€. guest co-starring, Phil Harris, is the first script mentioning minorities, airing on this date 1974.

Robert Foulk, guest, Desilu Productions', December Bride, 1956; Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Adventures of Jim Bowie, 1956; Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, 1956, Sheriff of Cochise, 1956, 1957, Whirlybirds', 1957, 1958; supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1957; Desilu Productions', The Texan, 1958, 1959, 1960, Guestward Ho!, 1960, The Untouchables, 1961; Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Guns of Will Sonnett, 1967, 1968; Lucille Ball's guest (“Here's Lucyâ€), 1971, 1973, dies this date in 1989.

Scott Forbes guest co-star, Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America “Postmark Dangerâ€, 1955, and star, The Adventures of Jim Bowie,, as Jim Bowie, 76 episodes, 1956-1958, dies this date in 1997.

Eagle Rock Entertainment - Public Broadcast Service (PBS) - Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appear, via archive footage, in documentary: American Masters: Judy Garland: By Myself, broadcast on this date in 2004.

Darren McGavin, Desilu Productions', Mission Imposible: “The Sealâ€, 1967, and Mannix “A Ticket to the Eclipseâ€, 1970, dies this date in 2006.

February 26

William Clement Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), claims to have introduced the song Melahcnoly Baby, at Mozart Cafe, Denver, and in 1957 album, William Frawley Sings the Old Ones, in 1912; one of the most recognized actor faces in the 1930s and 1940s, a consummate professional, from Vaudeville to the Broadway stage, durable character actor of 100+ movies, Lucille Ball early-film career co-star, 1935, 1946; appears with Lucille and Desi, and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) Toast of the Town, 1954; stars as the legendary (“I Love Lucy†Fred Mertz) the entire run of the series - 175 episodes; guest star, with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz); Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, 1955; (“I Love Lucyâ€) Christmas Show, 1956; Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, as Fred Mertz, 1958-59; The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, as Fred Mertz – 12 episodes, 1957-60; some of which overlap the Playhouse episodes; Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Red Skelton Show, 1958; Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959; This is Your Life: William Frawley, 1961, with Lucille Ball guesting; guest co-star, Desilu Studios'-filmed, My Living Doll, 1964; went on to co-star as, My Three Sons, 33 episodes, 1960-65; his last TV appearance on The Lucy Show, 1965; and by archival footage: CBS Salutes Lucy: The First 25 Years, 1976; American Masters “Finding Lucyâ€, 2000; as well as (“I Love Lucyâ€) 50th Anniversary Special, 2001, is born this date in 1887.

Dane Clark, guest Desilu Productions', Wire Service, 1956, 2 episodes, 1957; The Untouchables, 1962, 1963; as well as with Desi Arnaz IV, Police Story, 1976, is born this date in 1912.

Robert Alda, Lucille Ball guest co-star, The Lucy Show, 1964; with Vivian Vance (Ethel Mertz), stage play, 1969; (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1970, as himself; Desilu Productions', Mission: Impossible, and Julia, 1970; (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1971, as himself; and A Lucille Ball Special, 1980, is born this date in 1914.

Jackie Gleason, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz friend; appears with Lucille and Desi, Toast of the Town, 1958; appeared on cover of Look, with Jack Parr and Lucille, 1962; Lucille's guest co-star, (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1968; A Lucille Ball Special starring Jackie Gleason and Lucille Ball, 1975; Legends of Comedy, 1992, via archival footage with Lucille; Ed Sullivan All-Star Comedy Special ,1995; with Lucille, archivally, Bob Hope: Hollywood's Brightest Star, 1996, archival footage of Jackie, Desi, and Lucille; The Best of the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts on DVD; Dean, as guest host, archive footage, Jackie, as himself, , with Lucille, as toastee(s), via archive footage, released in 1998; Lucille and Jackie, archival footage, TV Guide’s 40th Anniversary, 1998, is born this date in 1916.

Tony Randall, Lucille Ball’s guest co-star, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959; Desilu Productions', Here’s Hollywood, 1961; (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1971; Night of 100 Stars, with Lucie Arnaz, 1982; is born this date in 1920.

Betty Hutton, star, as Goldie Appleby, Desilu Productions', The Betty Hutton Show, 17 episodes, 1960; one guest performance, The Betty Hutton Show, 1960; as well as guest, The Greatest Show on Earth, 1964, as well as, with Lucille, archivally, Bob Hope: Hollywood's Brightest Star, 1996, is born this date in 1921.

LA Evening Herald Express, Harrison Carroll: “Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz will have to move out of their house for three days because, the place is overrun with crickets. Lucille is superstitious and won’t kill one; but, Desi has persuaded her to let paid exterminators do it,†published this date in 1942.

Jamestown Post Journal: “Lucille, I Want You – Jamestown’s Lucille Ball, star, carries on an old-fashioned telephone conversation with mother, Mrs. Desiree Ball, at the Public Telephone Center for the Armed Forces in Times Square, which conversation is carried over models of the telephone set which Dr. Alexander Graham Bell transmitted the first spoken message by wire – 68 years ago come March 10,†published this date in 1944.

Jamestown Post Journal: “Lucille Ball: Her Words - Part 1,†published this date in 1953.

Formal separation was filed in the Santa Monica Superior Court, during proceedings for the second divorce in the Arnaz’ marriage, this date in 1960.

Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz) appears in print: Nassau Guardian, John Baragrey’s “Marriage Go-Round: “Vivian Vance, Sylvia Miles make Big Hit,†this date in 1961.

The Lucy Show “Lucy and the Lost Star†- Joan Crawford guest co-stars, episode with Lucy and Viv, thinking her destitute, try to find Joan a job, airing this date in 1968.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Goodbye, Mrs. Hipsâ€, written by Madelyn Davis and Bob Carroll, Jr., featuring the ‘girls’ moving into Lucy’s home to go on a diet, with Lucy veteran supporting cast members, Vanda Barra and Sid Gould, airing this date 1973.

Desi Arnaz makes a guest appearance on CBS/Warner Brothers Television, Alice, “The Cuban Connection,†airing this date in 1978.

Constance Ford, guest co-star, Desilu Productions’, Cavalcade of America, 1955; Here’s Hollywood, 1961; and The Untouchables, 1961, dies this date in 1993.

Lucie Arnaz, guest appears with Ruby Wax, Ruby, among others, on this date in 2000.

Lucie Arnaz guest stars, as Jackie Scott, a charismatic, multi-million dollar cosmetics mogul, in an episode of Law & Order, “B*tchâ€, with Jerry Orbach, Fred Dalton Thompson, and Sam Waterston, airing this date in 2003.

Harry Bartell, supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1952; 2 episodes, 1955; Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, 1954; The Walter Winchell File, 1957; Whirlybirds, 1957, 1958; The Texan, 1960; as well as The Untouchables, 1959, 1961, dies this date in 2004.

The Post-Journal, Information Center - In Years Past – 10 Years Ago: “An official has returned from Oprah television talk show appearance taping, focusing on small communities celebrating famous people, competing with 20 other small communities for the second comedy festival, Lucyfest, Jamestown NY. She ‘got in all I could about LucyFest,’ is published this date in 2006.

February 27

William Demarest, Lucille Ball early film co-star, 1934, 1937, 1949, guest co-star, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Make Room for Daddy, 5 episodes, 1957-61; Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959, Desilu Productions', Here’s Hollywood, 1961, The Greatest Show on Earth, 1964; took over as Uncle Charley, My Three Sons, after William Frawley (Lucy’s Fred Mertz) retired, is born this date in 1892.

Reginald Gardiner, guest co-star, Desilu Productions', Here’s Hollywood, 1962; as well as, with Lucille Ball, via archival footage, Hollywood Without Make-Up, 1963, is born this date in 1903.

Franchot Tone, Lucille Ball early-film career co-star, 1934, 1947, as well as guest, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1958; is born this date in 1905.

Elizabeth Taylor, with husband Richard Burton, guest co-star of Lucille Ball, (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1970; guest, with Lucille, Happy Birthday, Bob, 1978, Bob Hope’s, Women I Love: Beautiful, But Funny, 1982, and Night of 100 Stars, with Lucie Arnaz, 1982; with Lucille, Unrehearsed Antics of the Stars, 1984, guest with Lucille, Bob Hope’s High-Flying Birthday, 1986, as well as with Desi Arnaz and Lucille, via archival footage, Off the Menu: The Last Days of Chasen's, 1997, is born this date in 1932.

Barbara Babcock, Lucille Ball guest, The Lucy Show, 1967; Desilu Studios'-filmed, Hogan's Heroes, 1967; as well as guest, Desilu Productions', Mannix, and Mission: Impossible, 1968; is born this date in 1937.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), appears in Universal Pictures', Mad About Music, as Dusty Turner, co-starring Deanna Durbin, Herbert Marshall, and Arthur Treacher, among many others, released on this date in 1938.

The (“I Love Lucyâ€) cast - Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, Vivian Vance & William Frawley (The Mertzes), appear on CBS Radio’s, Breaking the Lease, this date in 1952.

Jamestown Post Journal: “Lucille Ball, in her own words, Part 2,†published this date in 1953.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appear on New York’s Picture Newspaper - Sunday News cover, this date in 1955.

New York Sunday News, William Klein & Frank Livia: Vivian Vance and William Frawley (Lucy’s The Mertzes) appear in “Personalities in the News,†this date in 1955.

New York Sunday Daily News, Florabel Muir: Vivian Vance and William Frawley (Lucy’s The Mertzes) appear in “Just Like the Folks at Home,†this date in 1955.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Paris At Last†- a European episode with four entirely new ‘sets’, involves Lucy with counterfeit money; hilarious situation in the police station, with Lucy veterans, Lawrence Dobkin, Maurice Marsac, Shepard Menken, John Mylong, Vincent Padula, Hazel Pierce, and Trevor Ward, airs this date in 1956.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, and her visit back home, Jamestown, for World Premiere, Forever, Darling, appears, several page spread, Life Magazine, this date in 1956.

Christian Science Monitor: Lucille Ball: “I miss someone to rely on to make the big decisions and I miss the hours I used to be able to lock the door and relax. But, I don’t resent it,†published this date in 1963.

The Lucy Show “Lucy and Tennessee Ernie Ford†- Bob O’Brien, writer - Ernie’s first visit to this series; long-time Lucille Ball friend and protégé, Desilu Playhouse, Carole Cook, co-star, as his wife, involving him in financial dealing with Mooney’s bank, as well as the final skit for the 1966-67 season, airing this date in 1967.

Desi Arnaz IV guest stars on ABC’s The Brady Bunch, Season 1, Episode 22, “The Possible Dreamâ€, this date in 1970.

LA Times, Cecil Smith (Lucille Ball’s Brother-in-Law, married to Cleo): “Curtain Rings Down Lucy Show After Record 23 Years,†published this date in 1974.

NY Times - “Lucille Ball speaks about ending of (“Here's Lucyâ€), and her desire to do 'specials',†published this date in 1974.

George Tobias, Lucille Ball co-star Columbia Pictures’, The Magic Carpet, 1951, and Desilu Productions’, Our Miss Brooks, 1954, 1955; The Untouchables, 1961; Glynis, 1963, with Lucille, via archival footage, Hollywood Without Make-Up, 1963, The Big Parade of Comedy, 1964; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Joey Bishop Show, 1964; as well as with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), Love, American Style, 1969, dies this date in 1980.

San Francisco Chronicle, John Carman, Television - Lucy’s Childhood Home for Sale on eBay – “Love Lucy? You can own her girlhood home. With an asking price of $98.500, some might consider the two-story, three-bedroom frame house in Celoron, NY, a bargain. After languishing on the market for nearly a year, the house has been listed, for the second time, on the eBay Web Site, under real estate. The house dates back to 1890, belonging to Lucille Ball's maternal grandparents, Fred and Florabelle Hunt. It sits only a few blocks from the famed Lake Chautauqua in the southwestern corner of the state, about 90 miles south of Buffalo,†published this date in 2002.

The Post-Journal – Area News – “Salamanca Honors ‘Late Great’ Ray Evans†Salamanca – “Local residents are remembering three-time Oscar-winning celebrity and ‘hometown’ boy,’ Ray Evans, who died Thursday in Los Angelesâ€. (Research note: Ray, a friend of Lucille Ball, last year, made a large cash donation to the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum), published this date in 2007.

The Lucy Lounge Website - Thread: “Lucy Doll Photos†by 'rickee' - Photo of Movie Life, 'Hollywood's Only All-Picture Magazine', with Lucille Ball on the front cover, and enclosed article, “Movie Life of Lucille Ballâ€, 1944,â€, is posted this date in 2010.

The Post-Journal - Region - Seeing The Light - Ahlstrom-Shaeffer, IBEW Help Lucy-Desi Center With Upgrade, by Jason Rodriguez - “A light has gone on at the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center. On Saturday, 2/26, the Museum had more than 100 energy-efficient bulbs installed, replacing ceiling fixtures that were decades old. The idea for the comprehensive bulb change originated at the Center, and it harnessed the energies of Ahlstrom-Schaeffer Electric Company, the Board of Public Utilities, as well as a local union of electricians, when an inquiry was made about the availability of a rebate for energy-saving improvements. With the IBEW chapter's apprentice program, the 'work', which should save fifty-percent of electricity usage at the Center, was accomplished free of charge, as a community service,†published this date in 2011.

February 28

Vincente Minnelli, director, and close personal friend of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, director of Ziegfeld Follies, 1944-46, and Long, Long Trailer, 1954, is born this date in 1903.

Zero Mostel, co-star of Lucille Ball, 1943 - Zero’s screen debut; and Lucille's guest co-star, The Lucy Show, with Carol Burnett, 1967, is born this date in 1915.

Love, Lucy by Lucille Ball: “I remember vividly that moment my mother told me Daddy was gone; where the tables and windows were; what the scene was outside the window; where the bed was; and at that moment, a picture suddenly fell from the wall. I noticed some grey sparrows feeding on the kitchen windowsill; hearing that a bird flying in a window brings bad luck, I’ve been superstitious about birds ever since; not live birds; but, pictures of birds. I won’t buy anything with a bird print; nor stay in a hotel with bird pictures or bird wallpaperâ€, starting that date in 1915.

Gavin MacLeod, of Love Boat fame; Desilu Productions’, The Walter Winchell File, 1957, 1958; U.S. Marshal, 1959; The Untouchables, 5 episodes between 1959-1962; Alcatraz Express, 1960; with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; with Lucille Ball and Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars II, 1985; with Lucie Arnaz, CBS at 75, 2003, is born this date in 1930.

Bernadette Peters, guest star, Desilu Productions', ABC's Wide World of Entertainment, 1973; as well as appearing with Lucille Ball, Women I Love: Beautiful But Funny, 1982, Happy 100th Birthday, Hollywood, 1987; with Lucille, via archival footage(s), The Carol Burnett Show: A Reunion, 1993, and 50 Years of Funny Females, Vivian Vance, as well, 1995, is born this date in 1948.

Desi Arnaz hosts radio audience-participation show, CBS’ Radio, Your Tropical Trip, this week in 1951.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra record the background music for ("I Love Lucyâ€), Episode #26, and which episode is filmed this date in 1952.

Jamestown Post Journal: Lucille Ball, in her own words, Part 3 (entire ‘story’ accompanied by photographs chosen to illustrate her life),†published this date in 1953.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra, perform (“I Love Lucyâ€) “The Fashion Show,†guest co-star Sheila MacRae, long-time friend of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, and for whom Lucille Ball had the episode written, involves her wanting a Don Loper dress, and getting a dreadful sunburn, co-starring, among others, Amzie Strickland airing this date in 1955.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Housewarming,†an episode wherein Lucy’s friendship with Betty Ramsey makes Ethel Mertz jealous, is filmed this date in 1957.

Jamestown Post Journal: Desi Arnaz, Edith Hirsch to be Married – Hollywood (AP) – “Desi Arnaz, divorced from red-haired comedienne Lucille Ball, says he’s going to marry Edith Hirsch Saturday at the Sands Hotel, Las Vegas. Lucille has married comic Gary Morton,†published this date in 1963.

Desilu Studios'-filmed, ABC My Three Sons, “Make Way For Yesterdayâ€, William Frawley (Lucy’s Fred Mertz), as Michael Francis 'Bub' O'Casey; co-stars with Fred MacMurray, as Steve Douglas, Tim Considine, as Mike Douglas; Don Grady, as Robbie Douglas, Peter Brooks, as Hank Ferguson; Stanley Livingston, as Chip Douglas; with James A. Paisley, Production Manager/Supervisor, 36 episodes, 1960-61, airs this date in 1963.

The Lucy Show “Lucy, The Robot†- rehearsals of this skit are used in Arthur Godfrey CBS’ Special regarding the state of modern television, airing this date in 1966.

Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz) is the Mystery Guest on CBS’ “I’ve Got a Secret,†with Host, Garry Moore, broadcast this date in 1966.

Johathan Hale, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, 1946, 1947; Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, 1953; as well as guest, Desilu Studios-filmed, The Joey Bishop Show, 1962, dies this date in 1966.

Cecil Kellaway, Lucille Ball early-career co-star, 1938, 1946; Desilu Productions’, Cavalcade of America, 1952; Whirlybirds, 2 episodes, (unknown years); The Ann Sothern Show, 1959; Harrigan and Son, 1960, 1961; The Greatest Show on Earth, 1964, dies this date in 1973.

Eddie “Rochester†Anderson, infamous as Jack Benny's 'sidekick', Rochester; appears with Lucille Ball, Show Business at War, 1943; with Lucille, Desi, Vivian Vance, William Frawley (Lucy's The Mertzes) Stars in the Eye, 1952; guest star, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, 1955, 1958; Desilu Studios-filmed, The Jack Benny Show 48 episodes, 1956-1960; guest star, Desilu Studios-filmed, The Red Skelton Show, 1957; with Lucille Jack Benny's Twentieth Anniversary Special, 1970; archivally, with Lucille, Entertaining the Troops, 1994; guest, with Lucille and Desi, each via archival footage, TV in Black 'The First Fifty Yearsâ€, 2004; dies this date in 1977.

Lucille Ball makes an appearance in person and film clip and steals the show on NBC’s: Bob Hope’s Women I Love – Beautiful But Funny, airing this date in 1982.

Desi Arnaz, IV, stars, NBC Warner Brothers TV, The Night The Bridge Fell Down, as Johnny Pyle, co-starring, among others, James MacArthur and Eve Plumb, Leslie Nielsen, and Barbara Rush, airing this date in 1983.

Desi Arnaz, IV, stars, as his father, Desi III, (Lucille Ball is seen), in Warner Brothers’, The Mambo Kings, nominated 6 times, one, for the Oscar, co-starring Armand Assante and Antonio Banderas, among others, released this date in 1992.

Ruby Keeler, co-stars with William Frawley (Lucy’s Fred Mertz), 1927; appears with Desi Arnaz, 1972; appears with Lucille Ball, via archive footage, 1985, 1987, dies this date in 1993.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) United States Postal Service Commemorative Postage Stamp deadline for ballots in the vote took place this date in 1998.

Mary Stuart, of Search for Tomorrow, and Guilding Light fame; appears, uncredited, in two Lucille Ball early career films, 1942, dies this date in 2002.

The Post-Journal, Information Center - In Years Past – 50 Years Ago: “A group of color slides of the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz world premiere in Jamestown is shown to the Golden Age Society in the Viking Temple auditorium, with a business meeting and other entertainment for the members,†is published this date in 2006.

Chronicle-Tribune, Rachel Kipp: Madelyn Pugh Davis, the second female staff writer hired by CBS recalls her years screenwriting and testing stunts for Lucille Ball, within a now-tattered spiral notebook she and writing partner Bob Carroll, Jr., [the team also wrote scripts for CBS Radio’s 30-minute situation comedy, My Favorite Husband, starring Lucille Ball and Richard Denning from 1948 to 1951], compiled and filled with ideas and observations from daily life they could pass on to their employers, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, plugging, by interview from LA, Laughing With Lucy: My Life With America’s Leading Lady of Comedy, published this date in 2006.

February 29

Dinah Shore, leap-year baby, guest star, Desilu Studios-filmed, Make Room for Daddy, 2 episodes, 1957-58; Lucille Ball guest co-star, (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1971; with Desi Arnaz, IV, Salute to Oscar Hammerstein II, 1972; with Lucille and Desi Arnaz IV, on TV-The Fabulous Fifties, 1978; with Lucille, Desi, IV, and Keith Thibodeaux (“I Love Lucy†Little Ricky) guest on The Dinah Shore Chevy Show, 1960, as well as Dinah! 1974, and 1975, in a rare interview ‘appearance’, with Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz) making ‘visit’ to both Dinah and Lucille; with Lucille, again in 1976, 1977 on Dinah!; with Lucille, as co-hostess of The 33rd Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, 1981; with Lucille, and others, Bob Hope Special: Women I Love: Beautiful, But Funny, 1982, with Lucie Arnaz and Lucille; Night of 100 Stars II, 1985, with Lucille, archivally, Entertaining the Troops, 1994, as well as with Desi and Lucille, via archival footage, Off the Menu: The Last Days of Chasen's, 1997, is born this date in 1916.

Arthur Franz, co-stars with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1949, 1951; as well as Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, 1952, 1956; Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Bing Crosby Show, and Slattery's People, 1965, is born this date in 1920.

Lucille Ball, after Room Service with the Marx Brothers, outdoes herself in radio during February, when she begins appearing in Jack Haley’s weekly CBS’ show. Lucille also makes appearances on Phil Baker’s Radio Show, and Variety observes: “Her material was only so-so; but, her timing and knock-em-dead emphasis italicized humor . . .†is published in 1938.

NY Times, Jack Gould: “’I Love Lucy’ is probably the most misleading title imaginable. For once, all available statistics are in agreement: Millions love Lucy,†published in February 1953.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), appears on Calvin Company's Better Football, Robert Altman, Director and Writer, in 1954.

Lucille Ball, residing in New York City, Hampshire House during February; personally invited to see Bob Fosse’s Wildcat; is introduced as part of the audience, in 1959.

Frank Albertson, co-star with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1935; Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, 1936, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, 1938; guest Desilu Productions' Official Detective, 1957; guest, Desilu Studios-filmed The Red Skelton Show, 1959; Desilu Productions’, The Californians, 1959; with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), The Deputy, 1959, as well as The Untouchables, 1960, dies this date in 1964.

Lucille Ball flew to Miami, Florida to speak with Jackie Gleason regarding their doing a movie together - an excuse to get away, due to her hesitancy in making a decision about signing the papers necessary for a shareholder vote to sell Desilu, in late February 1967.

Lucie Arnaz played the starring role in Jackie Gleason’s Theater, Theater of the Performing Arts, playing the starring role in the new theater’s first production Mack & Mabel, with both Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz in the opening-night audience, in 1976.

Gregg Oppenheimer (son of the legendary Jess Oppenheimer) makes an appearance on the Donny and Marie Show to present a “lost†scene episode in its entirety (“I Love Lucyâ€) not seen since October 1, 1952, this date in 2000.

Good Housekeeping – “Married Romanceâ€, by Kathleen Renda: “Sex, Lies, & TV – Bedroom lessons we’ve learned – for better and for worse – from America’s favorite couples [Research Notes: (“I Love Lucyâ€) was first in the article, of course!!!]: (“I Love Lucyâ€) (1951-1957) – “What we learned: Couples who squabble can also sizzle. What we saw: “This Eisenhower-era sitcom never shows more than a chaste peck, but the sexual chemistry between real-life husband and wife, Ricky and Lucy, is muy Caliente. Lucy – the original desperate housewife – is always scheming to break out of her subservient role and into showbiz, and the ensuing zaniness leads to Ricky’s trademark bellow: ‘Lucy! You got some ‘splainin to do!’ A spanking sometimes follows. Really. Reality check: Lucy and Ricky’s disputes are outlandish, but conflict-as-foreplay is as common today as it was in the fifties,†published in 2007.

Lucie Arnaz appears in David Foster Productions', Second Thoughts, as Amy, co-starring Larry David, Ken Howard and Peggy McCay, among others, in 1983.

Top of the last one, Bernadette Peters, Desilu Productions' Wide world of entertainment 1973, don't get that one, what does Desilu, which ceased productionby then, have to do with a production in '73?

YOU'RE PRETTY GOOD, MY LOVE: however, here are the final three listings within IMDb:

Production Company - filmography

"Star Trek: The Cage (#1.0)" (1986) ... Production Company

"ABC Late Night" (1973) ... Production Company

Mission Impossible Versus the Mob (1969) ... Production Company

Who's to argue with whom? I questioned it, too; but, what needs to be given credit, in my way of thinking, gets the credit.....

Love, JK

YOU'RE PRETTY GOOD, MY LOVE: however, here are the final three listings within IMDb:

Production Company - filmography

"Star Trek: The Cage (#1.0)" (1986) ... Production Company

"ABC Late Night" (1973) ... Production Company

Mission Impossible Versus the Mob (1969) ... Production Company

Who's to argue with whom? I questioned it, too; but, what needs to be given credit, in my way of thinking, gets the credit.....

Love, JK

But wasn't Desilu bought out by Gulf and Western in 1967, or did they just sell the studio and not the production arm, if that was the case we would have seen the name after that on NEW productions but we did not, don't forget i keep reading that there are loads of errors on the net. The Cage might have been the pilot for Star Trek, if so, that was done in '65 or so, certainly not '86, by that time the series had been cancelled, as for Mission Impossible, it was sold along with everything else bearing the name Desilu back in '67, could this just be another error on their part? And abc late night, well the only thing associated with Lucy in '86 on late night was Lucy's appearance on Joan Rivers' Fox show, LOL! I don't care what IMOB wan kenobe says, this needs more explanation.

But wasn't Desilu bought out by Gulf and Western in 1967, or did they just sell the studio and not the production arm, if that was the case we would have seen the name after that on NEW productions but we did not, don't forget i keep reading that there are loads of errors on the net. The Cage might have been the pilot for Star Trek, if so, that was done in '65 or so, certainly not '86, by that time the series had been cancelled, as for Mission Impossible, it was sold along with everything else bearing the name Desilu back in '67, could this just be another error on their part? And abc late night, well the only thing associated with Lucy in '86 on late night was Lucy's appearance on Joan Rivers' Fox show, LOL! I don't care what IMOB wan kenobe says, this needs more explanation.

Let's BOTH (anyone else????) do some 'digging' - see what we can find out. I believe that the Star Trek mention you made is correct. I'll post what I've chronicled (IS THAT A WORD? IF NOT, SHOULD BE!!)

Stay tuned.... keep me straight - maybe we can get this all straightened out..... Love, JK

I have added to February 27 chronology, from this morning's Post-Journal:

The Post-Journal - Region - Seeing The Light - Ahlstrom-Shaeffer, IBEW Help Lucy-Desi Center With Upgrade, by Jason Rodriguez - “A light has gone on at the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center. On Saturday, 2/26, the Museum had more than 100 energy-efficient bulbs installed, replacing ceiling fixtures that were decades old. The idea for the comprehensive bulb change originated at the Center, and it harnessed the energies of Ahlstrom-Schaeffer Electric Company, the Board of Public Utilities, as well as a local union of electricians, when an inquiry was made about the availability of a rebate for energy-saving improvements. With the IBEW chapter's apprentice program, the 'work', which should save fifty-percent of electricity usage at the Center, was accomplished free of charge, as a community service,†published this date in 2011.

From TV Guide Magazine Feb 28 - March 6,2011 issue, p14.

(From an article entitled, "Are the Kids All Right?" by Craig Tomashoff, investigating if teen sex in prime time has gone too far. The 'Berman' quoted is therapist Dr Laura Berman):

Ultimately, that's what the debate about sex on TV comes down to. There's no "going back to the days of Lucy and Ricky in separate beds. We've gone way too far in the opposite direction," says Berman.

From TV Guide Magazine Feb 28 - March 6,2011 issue, p14.

(From an article entitled, "Are the Kids All Right?" by Craig Tomashoff, investigating if teen sex in prime time has gone too far. The 'Berman' quoted is therapist Dr Laura Berman):

Ultimately, that's what the debate about sex on TV comes down to. There's no "going back to the days of Lucy and Ricky in separate beds. We've gone way too far in the opposite direction," says Berman.

Thanks SO MUCH, vivfantoo; this is exactly what I want and need for the chronology....keep 'em coming, and thanks again....Love, JK

Let's BOTH (anyone else????) do some 'digging' - see what we can find out. I believe that the Star Trek mention you made is correct. I'll post what I've chronicled (IS THAT A WORD? IF NOT, SHOULD BE!!)

Stay tuned.... keep me straight - maybe we can get this all straightened out..... Love, JK

Claude: Here's what I've been able to 'cull out' from a Lucy-author-friend of mine:

Desilu mostly went out of the producing business as soon as Lucy sold it to Paramount. But it did still exist. She did green-light the original Star Trek and Mission Impossible.

1. The first credit, The Cage, was actually the original pilot episode for Star Trek. It was re-edited to air as a two-part episode of the original Star Trek series, and then apparently aired in the eighties to fill air time during a writer's strike on the second Star Trek Series. So that program was definitely produced at Desilu, although 20 years before the air date. (IMDBPro, which I subscribe to at work, lists Paramount the distributor for The Cage, and Desilu as the production company.)

2. The second credit is a bit harder to pin down. ABC Late Night was originally known as ABC's Wide World of Entertainment, and from what I can tell, the shows produced for it were mostly salutes to either studios or people, like MGM, Columbia Pictures, A Salute to Daytime Dramas, and Phyllis Diller's 102nd Birthday Party, and variety/musical comedy shows like Jack Paar Tonight and Break-Up. There are 20 (twenty!) different producers listed for the series on IMDBPro, including Desilu and Paramount, so it's possible that one or both produced/co-produced an episode or two in the first year of the series (1973). Here's the Wikipedia entry:

-------------

ABC's Wide World of EntertainmentUnable to find a single talk show to compete with NBC's highly successful Tonight Show, the network aired a collection of comedy specials, documentaries, mystery movies, music concerts and talk shows with a variety of hosts. Included in the broadcasts were The Dick Cavett Show, Jack Paar Tonight, Good Night America (with Geraldo Rivera), and others. Paar and Cavett were each given one week per month while the rest of the shows were rotated in the time slot. ABC's Wide World of Entertainment is a late night block of programs created by the American Broadcasting Company. It premiered on January 8, 1973 and ended three years later.

ABC Late NightThe comedy and variety specials proved to be unpopular and, along with most of the talk shows, were dropped by the summer of 1974. They were replaced with reruns of television movies and the programming block was retitled ABC Late Night on January 12, 1976.

3. The third credit, Mission Impossible versus the Mob, was actually a two-parter on Mission Impossible. Desilu and Paramount are both given credit as "Production Company" on it and the entire series, on IMDBPro. So I guess you could call them co-producers. The Desilu lot was then owned by Paramount, but besides the cast, it's difficult to know whether the original MI producers were still there, producing.

I don't mind giving Desilu credit(s) as the Production Company, if you don't mind.

Your concerns, however, about IMDb are accurate; sometimes, they 'ain't'! They still serve, for me, at least, a valuable source putting things in the chronology.

Love, JK

Yeah, that's MY fault, i forgot that i saw one time that Dina Merrill was on the board of directors of Desilu or some entity relating to it AFTER, long after Lucy had divested herself of it. You have to figure that some part of it was NOT dissolved when taken over by Gulf and Western Industries and was part of the Paramount studio.

Yeah, that's MY fault, i forgot that i saw one time that Dina Merrill was on the board of directors of Desilu or some entity relating to it AFTER, long after Lucy had divested herself of it. You have to figure that some part of it was NOT dissolved when taken over by Gulf and Western Industries and was part of the Paramount studio.

Thanks, Claude, keep me on the right track....Love, JK

Archived