What The Audience Didn't Catch, but Cracks Me Up: ILL

Have you ever seen a funny part in ILL that the audience doesn't quite catch?

For instance

"Lucy Learns To Drive"

"THins have changed since then"

"Oh has thins?"

so funny lol

"The Camping Trip"

"I wonder how she held them up"

"Two diamonds."

This joke went over well on the radio show-but is glossed over in ILL,

but it's a funny line no less. I kind of see Lucy comedically hesitate right after the joke,

feeling whether she should give a little time, or go for the next line.

"Mr Humphreze can go jump freeze"

lol no laugh, but i think thats funny lol

The Ukulele number in "Don juan is Shelved"

The way Lucy cuts straight from a monotonous ukulele number

to an over excited and flustered "I still say we should go down there and bust into Dorey Scharey's office!"

"they wouldn't even let us in the gate"

all of this is kind just panned over lol

In the episode where Lucy & Ethel book every table at the Tropicana to save Ricky's job, they & Fred change into different outfits to disguise themselves as all these different people. When they show up at the club & Fred is dressed as a woman, he uses a very exagerated hip swing when exiting to get more laughs. BUT, in one of his first appearances, dressed as a man, he does the hip swing a few times before remembering he's not supposed to yet! :lol::bill1:

In the episode where Lucy & Ethel book every table at the Tropicana to save Ricky's job, they & Fred change into different outfits to disguise themselves as all these different people. When they show up at the club & Fred is dressed as a woman, he uses a very exagerated hip swing when exiting to get more laughs. BUT, in one of his first appearances, dressed as a man, he does the hip swing a few times before remembering he's not supposed to yet! :lol::bill1:

I LOOOOOOOVE THAT MOMENT!!! IM LIKE- FRED NOOOOOO!! lolol I didnt think any one really caught that! wow! lol

• 2 weeks later...

I LOOOOOOOVE THAT MOMENT!!! IM LIKE- FRED NOOOOOO!! lolol I didnt think any one really caught that! wow! lol

Another I thought of

"IIIIN- THIIIS HEART OF MINE.

YOU LIVE...ALL THE...TIME....

SWEETSUEITSYOU!

Funny but the audience goes tight past it.

JUST WHAT KIND OF GIANT MAGNEFYING GLASS DO YOU GUYS USE WHEN WATCHING THE SHOWS ANYWAY? LOL!

Why, a Handy Dandy Giant Magnifying Glass, of course! :lucythrill:

Actually, I've watched ILL so many times that a few years ago I started focusing on the other actors whenever I watched an episode :)

Now you see, i wasn't even aware there WERE other actors besides her on the show, LOL! :lucythrill:

I like some of the little comments made (especially by Lucy) in the later seasons that seem unscripted, usually Lucy talking under her breath, mocking Ricky. And the audience almost never seems to laugh at it, but I think it's hilarious (wish I could think of an example).

Now you KNOW there were NO unscripted moments on the show. if there WERE any comments about Desi said under her breath that were REAL, they wouldn't have been able to air them anyway as they would probably be X rated!

Well, I suppose I can never actually tell if its unscripted unless I read the scripts, but there are times when she makes fun of his english that seem a bit ad libbed.

But that's what i'm telling you THEY DID NOT AD LIB ON THE SHOW, E V E R ! They were proud of their writers and stuck to their scripts. The only thing Lucy ad libbed on I Love Lucy was during a rehearsal where the writers asked her to keep it in was when she doused her burning nose in that cup of coffee. Much later on The Lucy Show, Milton Berle ad libbed a line that she left in because it was so funny, she tried to get his attention and screamed "LISTEN!" He had that salad dressing dripping down his face and ad libbed "LISTEN TO YOU, I CAN'T EVEN SEE YOU!"

But that's what i'm telling you THEY DID NOT AD LIB ON THE SHOW, E V E R ! They were proud of their writers and stuck to their scripts. The only thing Lucy ad libbed on I Love Lucy was during a rehearsal where the writers asked her to keep it in was when she doused her burning nose in that cup of coffee. Much later on The Lucy Show, Milton Berle ad libbed a line that she left in because it was so funny, she tried to get his attention and screamed "LISTEN!" He had that salad dressing dripping down his face and ad libbed "LISTEN TO YOU, I CAN'T EVEN SEE YOU!"

There was an ad-lib Here's Lucy episode in one scene with Gale and Lucy and Lucy cracked up and they kept it in (because Gale ad-libbed). It was the one with Kaye Ballard. But yes, I do agree with you on ILL, I don't think they EVER Ad Libbed, apart from the occasional almost laughing in it.

There was an ad-lib Here's Lucy episode in one scene with Gale and Lucy and Lucy cracked up and they kept it in (because Gale ad-libbed). It was the one with Kaye Ballard. But yes, I do agree with you on ILL, I don't think they EVER Ad Libbed, apart from the occasional almost laughing in it.

Almost laughing is not ad libbing, it's lousy acting, Desi was the Jimmy Fallon of his day, LOL! So often laughing but biting his lip to stop. The Vita ep is a perfect example of that.

I like some of the little comments made (especially by Lucy) in the later seasons that seem unscripted, usually Lucy talking under her breath, mocking Ricky. And the audience almost never seems to laugh at it, but I think it's hilarious (wish I could think of an example).

How about this dialog between Lucy and Ricky on the episode "Treasure Island":

Ricky Ricardo: There are alot of cacanuts(Ricky's way of saying coconuts).

Lucy Ricardo: CACANUTS??? oh yeah there are alot of cacanuts.

Lucy makes it sound like she is adlibbing.

How about this dialog between Lucy and Ricky on the episode "Treasure Island":

Ricky Ricardo: There are alot of cacanuts(Ricky's way of saying coconuts).

Lucy Ricardo: CACANUTS??? oh yeah there are alot of cacanuts.

Lucy makes it sound like she is adlibbing.

Exactly! I'll listen for other examples during my next marathon viewing...

Archived