Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Chronology - Week 1 - March

leenorman

March 1

Ida Moore, Lucille Ball's uncredited co-star, 1950, co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1951; cast member (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1953; as well as Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, 1956, is born this date in 1882.

David Niven, guest co-star, Desilu Productions’ Here’s Hollywood, 1961; as well as ABC’s Wide World of Entertainment, 1973, is born this date in 1910.

Cesare Danova, Lucille Ball guest co-star, The Lucy Show,1964; guest star, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Vacation Playhouse, 1963; as well as co-star, with Desi Arnaz IV, Automan, 1984, is born this date in 1926.

Robert Conrad, guest co-star, Desilu Productions’, Mission: Impossible, 1968; with Lucille Ball, as Ringmaster and Lucie Arnaz, Circus of the Stars #2 1977; with Lucille Ball, as Host, All-Star Party for Clint Eastwood 1986; as well as with Lucie Arnaz, CBS at 75, 2003, is born this date in 1935.

Jamestown Morning Post: Miss Ball here for Week-End – Former Local Young Woman Appearing in Many Motion Pictures: “Miss Lucille Ball, former local girl, visited her step-grandmother, Mrs. C. J. Peterson, 20 W. 12th St . . . during the last 3 months . . . has been in the East and appeared in the stage play, Hey, Diddle Diddle . . . under contract to RKO Radio Pictures . . . most recently, That Girl From Paris and Don’t Tell The Wife . . . as well as parts in 6 other films,†published this date in 1937.

Hollywood Citizen News: “Lucille Ball and Allan Lane star in Second Shot, a café murder mystery,†published this date in 1939.

Film Daily, RKO Radio: Twelve Crowded Hours, Lucille Ball, Richard Dix and Allan Lane star in a newspaper-gangster drama which hits routine groove in story and acting,†published this date in 1939.

Lucille Ball co-stars in A Woman of Distinction friend and co-star, as well as many-time Lucy ’ supporting cast member, Alan Ray, Ray Milland, Rosalind Russell, and others, the premiere of which occurs this date in 1950.

Lucille Ball appears on NBC Radio’s Screen Directors’ Playhouse: A Foreign Affair, this date in 1951.

William Frawley (Lucy’s Fred Mertz), co-stars, as Baldy Gunder, in Rancho Notorious, also starring Marlene Dietrich, Jack Elam, Mel Ferrer, John Kellogg, Arthur Kennedy, George Reeves, and, in uncredited roles, Lucy 'veterans' John Doucette, Dick Elliott, Harry Lauter, and Fuzzy Knight, released this date in 1952.

Michael Karol, Lucy author, Lucy A to Z, The Lucille Ball Encyclopedia, 4 Editions, is born this date in 1953.

NY Times: Jack Gould: “In the comical trials of Lucy and Ricky Ricardo, television audiences recognize the exasperation and warmth of their own livesâ€, published this date in 1953.

Desi Arnaz, as Ricardo The Orchestra Leader, and the Desi Arnaz Orchestra, perform at CBS-TV General Service Studios (“I Love Lucyâ€) “Home Movies,†filmed without an audience, then shown to an audience; recording its laughs and revolving around Ricky boring everyone with videos of Little Ricky - Lucy up to her usual tricks, cast member, Stanley Farrar, as Bennett Green, (in actuality, Green is Desi's stand-in), airing this date in 1954.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra record the background music for (“I Love Lucyâ€), Episode #149, which is filmed this date in 1956.

The Arnazes, embroiled in a heated controversy surrounding Emmy Awards’ nomination structuring which many voting members felt did not reflect the rapidly metamorphosing television industry - [they were nominated in 4 categories; but, not (“I Love Lucyâ€)] - the first non-nomination since its premiere, this date in 1956.

Desi Arnaz’ plan for (“I Love Lucyâ€) was in the works, with his plan for a series of hourly shows he would call “Desilu Playhouse,†calling for 37 hour-long shows, Lucille and Desi starring in five or six of them; he flew to Pittsburgh to meet with the President of Westinghouse to present his Playhouse proposal; the President thought the budget outrageous; but, took the proposal to his Board of Directors, which immediately and wholeheartedly approved the budget in its entirety, in 1958.

The United States Patent Office received an April 1953 application for a “prompting apparatus for cameras†and Jess Oppenheimer, creator/writer (“I Love Lucyâ€, was awarded a Patent this date in 1960.

Desert Magazine [Palm Springs] – Gloria Greer: “Desert Circus Queen, Lucille Ballâ€, article published in 1964.

Kathryn Card, veteran supporting cast member and many-year Ball/Arnaz’ employee; guest, Desilu Studios-filmed, Make Room For Daddy, 1955; Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, 1956; Desi Arnaz, Executive Producer, The Texan 1958, 1959, and U.S. Marshal 1959; The Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse Presents The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Show, 1959; dies this date in 1964.

The Lucy Show “Lucy and the Old Mansion†- Ray Singer, Writer - guest co-star Ann Sothern, the Countess, the last Lucy show for Viv, (Vivian Vance – Lucy’s Ethel Mertz) returning home to help the Countess with a problem of drastic repairs due her mansion [much tension on the set due to Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz) imminent retirement from the show, airing this date in 1965.

Time: “With Lucille Ball’s funding, they shot the pilot at Mount St. Mary’s College north of Brentwood and at the Burbank Airport, with CBS sponsorship, with Frank Sinatra’s private plane used for the final scene, and the award-winning Mission: Impossible born in 1965, later interview of Herbert F. Solow, and published this date in 1968.

TV Guide cover: Lucille Ball, Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz IV, appear this week in 1969.

CBS Special - Timex Presents A Lucille Ball Special, starring Lucille Ball and Dean Martin: “Lucy Gets Lucky.†Bob O’Brien, writer; many other ‘usual’ veteran guest co-stars appear, including (“I Love Lucyâ€) veteran supporting cast member, Vanda Barra; shot entirely on location at the MGM Grand Hotel, with one camera, like a movie, and Lucille Ball, as Lucy Collins, manages to entangle the establishment hilariously using skits taken from Jerry Lewis’ The Bellboy, as well as from old The Lucy Show and “Here’s Lucy†episodes - executive produced by Lucille Ball, produced by Gary Morton, who also makes a cameo appearance [DVD released in 2009], airing this date in 1975.

Lucie Arnaz, stars, as Elizabeth Short, Who is the Black Dahlia?; TV Movie; Douglas S. Cramer, Executive Producer; co-starring Tom Bosley, MacDonald Carey, Ronny Cox, Gloria DeHaven, Rick Jason, June Lockhart, Donna Mills; Efram Zimbalist, Jr., and many others, airs on NBC opposite Lucille Ball CBS’ Special Timex Presents a Lucille Ball Special: “Lucy Gets Lucky,†this date in 1975.

Hazel Pierce, Lucille Ball stand-in for all Lucy shows, as well as (“I Love Lucyâ€) Movie, 1953, (released 2007); Forever Darling, 1956; The Ford Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Show, 1958; The Facts of Life, 1960; The Lucy Show, (“Here's Lucyâ€); as well as (“I Love Lucyâ€) 50th Anniversary Special, 2001; dies this date in 1984.

Jackie Coogan, friend and Lucille Ball/Desi Arnaz' guest star, Desilu Studios-filmed, The Red Skelton Show 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960; guest, Desilu Productions', The Ann Sothern Show, 1960, Here's Hollywood, 1961; guest star, Desilu Studios-filmed, The Andy Griffith Show, 1961; as well as Lucille Ball guest co-star, The Lucy Show 1963, 1968; (“Here's Lucyâ€), 1973; and Desi Arnaz' co-star, The Escape Artist, 1982, dies this date in 1984.

Joe Besser, “Curly,†of the original Three Stooges Lucille Ball co-star, Shemp Howard’s, replacement in 1956, co-star, Desilu Productions’, Willy, 1955; Angel, 1960, as well as Desilu Studios-filmed, The Joey Bishop Show, cast member, 88 episodes, between 1962-1965; dies this date in 1988.

Lucie Arnaz on this date in 1991.

Saturday Evening Post – Audrey Hingley: “Life with Lucieâ€, article published in March/April Issue, 1994.

Lucille Ball was honored on Bricks for Buffalo Women’s Walkway, “Historically Important Women of Western New York,†this month in 2001.

Buffalo News, Robert J. McCarthy: “Ball’s Ashes May Return to Jamestown,†published this date in 2002.

The Post-Journal: Preaching Success – “Lucie Arnaz, at the ‘Heart, Health & Style Event,’ attended by an estimated four hundred at the Jamestown Saving Bank Ice Arena last evening sponsored by many area businesses, gave insight on her experiences as the child of two world-famous entertainers, as well as a mother managing a successful career. ‘The message is about success,’ Lucie quipped, ‘and focuses on healthy living, reasonable expectations, and the impact of heart disease,’ [which Lucille Ball suffered from prior to her death in 1989, and the number one cause of death in women]. Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz were active for five years in the American Heart Association, two of which as National co-Chairmen in the 1950s,†published this date in 2006.

The Post-Journal: (Jamestown NY) - Local injured Marine, Lawrence W. Eddy, met and was befriended by Lucille Ball, who was visiting Jamestown for 1944 War Bond Meetings, January 20-24. [see 1/20-24/44 entries] He later married in Jamestown, 1947, and relocated to the San Fernando Valley, California, from 1952 to 1998, dies 2/21/07, published this date in 2007.

March 2

Jasper and Nellie Ball’s [Lucille Ball’s paternal grandparents’] house, the “Grand View,†was built by Jasper on Ball Hill near Busti, NY – about 25 young people of this place enjoyed a sleigh ride and taffy pull, this date in 1901.

Margie Liszt, veteran supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1952,

2 episodes, 1953; and Desilu Productions’, December Bride, 1958, 1959, is born this date in 1909.

Desi Arnaz’ great, great grandfather, Don Manuel I and wife, Ventura, were given much land in California by Queen Isabella of Spain in 1869; Don Manuel II [Desi’s great-grandfather] was appointed Mayor of Santiago by Queen Isabella of Spain; Don Manuel I their son, Desi’s grandfather, Don Desiderio [wife, Rosita] was the Cuban doctor to Teddy Roosevelt’s Rough Riders; their son, Desiderio II, Desi’s father, graduated from Southern College Pharmacy – Atlanta, Georgia, 1912-1913; married Desi’s mother, Dolores de Acha [heiress to the Bacardi Rum fortune] in 1916; Desi’s father was elected youngest Mayor of Santiago in history of Cuba, at age 29, in 1923; Desi Arnaz is born (the only son of this Cuban Senator and Mayor of Santiago de Cuba) this date in 1917.

Jennifer Jones, Academy Award-winning actress, 1943 film, Song of Bernadette, married to Robert Walker; Desi Arnaz early-film career co-star; appears in Since You Went Away, 1944, for which she was nominated for an Oscar, as Best Supporting Actress; with then-husband Walker, and many Lucy/Lucille/Desilu co-stars, guest co-stars; veteran cast members, such as Claudette Colbert, Lloyd Corrigan, Agnes Moorehead, Craig Stevens, Guy Williams, Monty Woolley, Keenan Wynn; and, in uncredited roles, Irving Bacon, Florence Bates, Byron Foulger, and Barbara Pepper; as well as appearing via archival footage with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, Off the Menu: The Last Days of Chasen's 1997, is born this date in 1919.

Desi Arnaz received a letter “from DAD,†on his 16th Birthday: (“. . . by my book, you are now a manâ€) on this day in 1933.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), appears in Paamount Pictures', Car 99, as Training Sgt. Barrel, co-starring Dean Jagger, Fred MacMurray, Ann Sheridan (uncredited role), among many others, released on this date in 1935.

Barbara Luna, co-star, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959; Desilu Productions’, Here’s Hollywood, 1961; The Texan, two episodes, 1959; The Untouchables, 1959, 1962; Star Trek, 1967; and Mission: Impossible, 1966, 1969; is born this date in 1939.

Hollywood Citizen News, Radio Zuma Palmer: “Lucille Ball is guest on NBC Radio’s Kraft Music Hall, with Bing Crosby and Marilyn Maxwell,†published this date in 1944.

Screen Writers’ Guild Registration: ‘ . . called this situation comedy/variety show (“I Love Lucyâ€)’, application papers this date in 1951.

[‘Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude “I Love Lucy†which made history and will perpetuate.] Desi Arnaz and Orchestra record the background music, in Hollywood, California, for CBS-TV (“I Love Lucyâ€) - the pilot episode, this date in 1951.

Jess Oppenheimer, on Desi Arnaz’ Birthday, writes manuscript outline for the creation of (“I Love Lucyâ€) and registers the pilot with Screen Writers Guild, Inc., for $1.00, this date in 1951.

[‘Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude “I Love Lucy†which made history and will perpetuate.] Hollywood Reporter: “Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz will do their first Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz TV Show, and Lucy and Larry Lopez make their debut,†published this date in 1951.

[‘Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude to Lucille and Desi’s in prelude to “I Love Lucy†which made history and will perpetuate.] Desi Arnaz, in his autobiography, ‘A Book’ indicates the cello (Pepito, the Cellist) act became the pilot for (“I Love Lucyâ€) - “Act One,†CBS’ The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz TV Show (“I Love Lucyâ€) pilot [a landmark pilot aired on CBS after Lucille’s death on video bearing little resemblance to future (“I Love Lucyâ€) scripting with the final four “stars†in a later episode, “The Audition†(“I Love Lucyâ€)] shot live, with an audience, in CBS’ Studio A, at Columbia Square, over a closed circuit kinescope and intended for use only to show to prospective sponsors,†is recorded this date in 1951.

[‘Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude to “I Love Lucy†which made history and will perpetuate.] Interesting side note: the pilot was nearly aborted that very night, since CBS, Lucille and Desi had, at the time, only verbal agreement, when CBS Radio’s personnel sought out Desi backstage with contracts – Desi countered with: “Lucy and I will pay for it,†thus calling the Executive’s bluff; and Desi getting what he desired: CBS paying for everything!] With its revised schedule, the “audition†(the term for “pilot†in those early days) show was done in Studio A at Columbia Square, the Hollywood Headquarters of CBS Radio’s and TV, Sunset Boulevard at Gower Street, the same stage Lucille appeared with Ed Wynn a little over a year earlier, [with only two sets - a living room and nightclub, shot live with a studio audience – later images recorded on film from a TV screen, providing the ‘team’ with the required kinescope] on this date in 1951.

[‘Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude to Lucille and Desi’s in prelude to “I Love Lucy†which made history and will perpetuate]. Laughing With Lucy – My Life with America’s Leading Lady of Comedy, Madelyn Pugh Davis, with Bob Carroll, Jr.: “When we did the pilot (“I Love Lucyâ€), the cast consisted of Lucy, Ricky [Desi], Pepito the Clown, and Jerry, the agent. In those days, a show only had one sponsor, ours Biow Advertising Agency for Phillip Morris Cigarettes, with strong ties to Rodgers and Hammerstein, who thought ‘you should have neighbors;’ we needed eight scripts before production could ‘start,’ and we began writing,†this date in 1951.

Desi Arnaz is named Executive Producer of Desilu Productions this date in 1952.

Time: Lucille Ball: “This couldn’t happen to two nicer kids. I mean our children, of course,†referring to (“I Love Lucyâ€) and its’ unqualified success, published this date in 1953.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “The Audition†– this is a re-run of Episode #6, with new footage including Lucy playing the cello, airing this date in 1953.

Desi Arnaz turns forty-one; his hair is gray - rinsed black before the cameras, playing Ricky Ricardo; his health is deteriorating; but, he's still ‘driven’ – producing shows and pilots; selling his productions, and obtaining financing; but, he hasn’t slowed down, by this date in 1958.

Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse “Happy Hillâ€, starring Gene Evans and Claire Trevor, airs date in 1959.

Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse Presents the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Show #13: “Lucy Meets the Mustacheâ€, the last show with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, as husband and wife, is filmed this date in 1960.

Desi Arnaz marries Edith Mack Hirsch (a woman greatly resembling Lucille Ball) two of his long-time friends, Jimmy Durante and Van Johnson in attendance, this day in 1963.

TV Guide, Gilbert Seldes, writes a valentine to Lucille Ball: “How hard is it to be a beautiful woman I can only guess from certain commercials; from my observations, to be a beautiful woman and a great slapstick comedian is one of the rarest things in the world. A generation ago, Mabel Normand and Carole Lombard made it; but, since then, the incomparable practitioner of this double art has been Lucille Ball,†published this date in 1963.

The Lucy Show “Viv Moves Outâ€, Roberta Sherwood and her real-life son, guest co-starring, move in after Viv and son move out - introducing pianist Marl Young into the Lucy experience, who then takes over as musical director when long-timer, Wilbur Hatch, dies in 1960, airing this date in 1964.

Newark Evening News - New Jersey: “William Frawley (Lucy’s Fred Mertz) has purchased a racehorse, one he’s never seen, called French Evidence,†published this date in 1964.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy and Carol Burnett†A.K.A. “Secretary Beautifulâ€, directed by Jay Sandrich; written by Lou Derman, Larry Rhine, the best of several episodes, featuring the two friends in a beautiful secretary contest, co-starring veteran supporting cast member, Robert Alda, Sid Gould, among others, with Lucie Arnaz, as Kim Carter, airing this date in 1970.

Desi Arnaz appears on CBS’ Alice “One Too Many Girls,†this date in 1980.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz IV guest appear on NBC TV Password Plus, airing this date in 1981.

Lucille Ball appears on NBC, Bob Hope Special: “Bob Hope’s Road to Hollywoodâ€, a gathering of old friends sharing memories and introducing clips of his old films and TV specials, a glamorous ‘commercial’ for his book with the same title, airing this date in 1983.

The Kate and Allie TV Show - Jane Curtin dreams she and Susan St. James (Kate, who does an affectionate tribute to Vivian Vance as Ethel Mertz) are the lead characters on (“I Love Lucyâ€) in an episode spoofing “Lucy & Ethelâ€, this date in 1987.

Randolph Scott, Lucille Ball and William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) early-film career(s) co-star, RKO Radio’s 1935, with Lucille, 1936; with Frawley 1937; as well as with Lucille and Desi Arnaz Meet the Stars #6:1941, dies this date in 1987.

Lyle Talbot (husband of Mary Jane Croft); co-star, William Frawley 1948; guest, Desilu Productions' December Bride, 6 episodes between 1954-1958; Desilu Studios-filmed The Red Skelton Show 1957; Desilu Productions' The Ann Sothern Show 1959; Lucille Ball guest co-star, with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) The Lucy Show 1963; Desilu Productions' Vacation Playhouse 1964; (“Here’s Lucyâ€) 1970; as well as archivally with Lucille That's Dancing 1985, dies this date in 1996.

People Magazine, by Steven M. Silverman – “Lucy: Lost and Found†– posted this date in 1999.

TheLucyLounge website: Thread: “The Coffee Klatch†- by 'chedderchester': “Today marks Desi Arnaz' 93 birthday; marks the date of the filming of the last episode of The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour “Lucy Meets the Mustache†(aired 4/1/60); and the date of Lucille Ball's filing for divorce from Desi,†posted this date in 2010.

March 3

Harold J. Stone, Desilu Productions’ The Walter Winchell File, 1957, 1959; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Cavalcade of America, 1957; Desilu Productions', U.S. Marshal, 1958, The Untouchables, 6 episodes - 1960-63, The Greatest Show on Earth, 1963; as well as Desilu Studios-filmed, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, 1960; is born this date in 1911.

Lucille Ball appears in RKO Radio film, Twelve Crowded Hours, released this date in 1939.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz first viewed, and knew they would purchase, the property at Chatsworth, CA, their home for many years, in 1941.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear, My Favorite Husband “Women’s Rights, Part I†- episode #78, the basis [with episode #79] for (“I Love Lucyâ€) “Job Switching†which airs this date in 1950.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear, My Favorite Husband “Vacation Time†- The Passports, supporting cast member, Jerry Hausner - Episode 121 - basis for (“I Love Lucyâ€) “The Passports†- airs this date in 1951.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “New Neighborsâ€, veteran supporting cast members, Hayden Rorke and Allen Jenkins, as sell as K.T. Stevens, [close personal friend of Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz)] are mistaken for felons planning mayhem in various places, airs this date in 1952.

NY Journal American, Jack O’Brien: William Frawley: “I don’t mind admitting my movie career was in a bit of a lull when ‘Lucy’ came along†[Frawley, a veteran of 100+ films when he signed on for ('I Love Lucy')] . . . “now, movie moguls are after me again and somehow I can’t help but gloat inwardly that I can’t make movies while I’m playing Fred Mertz,†published this date in 1953.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra record the background music for CBS-TV (“I Love Lucyâ€), Episode #122, which is filmed this date in 1955.

Lucille Ball is nominated for an Emmy Award for (“I Love Lucyâ€) - Best Actress Starring in a Regular Series, this date in 1955.

CBS’ The Lucy Show – 30-minutes, black & white – this is not a misprint, nor Miss Ball’s classic 1960’s sitcom. The re-runs of (“I Love Lucyâ€) on Sundays had done so well for CBS they decide to add this extra night of (“I Love Lucyâ€) re-runs on Saturdays in the very early evening. New graphics are made to reflect the change of title and sponsor this date in 1956.

Lou Costello, Lucille Ball’s long-time friend, radio- and film-career co-star, 1945; 1994, 1995, via archival footages, appears with Lucille, via archival footage, Entertaining the Troops, 1994, as well as, archivally, Bob Hope: Hollywood's Brightest Star, Video Entertainment, 1996, dies this day in 1959.

Lucille Ball files for divorce from Desi Arnaz, in Court, this date in 1960.

TV Guide: “William Frawley (Lucy’s Fred Mertz), and My Three Sons co-star, can make a mean dish of mulligan stew,†published this date in 1962.

Desilu Productions', The Greatest Show on Earth “The Last of the Strongmenâ€, starring Jack Palance, as Johnny Slate, co-starring Red Buttons and Bruce Dern, among others, airs this date in 1964.

William Frawley (Lucy’s Fred Mertz), Lucille Ball early-film career co-star, RKO Radio’s 1935; MGM’s 1946; appears with Lucille and Desi, and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) Toast of the Town 1954; (“I Love Lucy†Fred Mertz) entire run of the series - 175 episodes; guest star, with Vivian, Desilu Productions' Shower of Stars 1955; (“I Love Lucyâ€) Christmas Show 1956; Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, as Fred Mertz – 1958-59; The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, as Fred Mertz – 1957-60; Desilu Studios-filmed The Red Skelton Show 1958; Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse 1959; with Lucille, This is Your Life: William Frawley 1961, with Lucille, guest co-star, Desilu Studios-filmed My Living Doll as Detective Gladwin, 1964; [last video appearance, October 25, 1965, guest co-starring (The Lucy Show)]; co-star, My Three Sons’ 1960-65; by archival footage: CBS Salutes Lucy: The First 25 Years 1976; American Masters “Finding Lucy†2000; as well as (“I Love Lucyâ€) 50th Anniversary Special 2001, Fred MacMurray and Desi Arnaz, lead pallbearers, funeral held at Good Samaritan Catholic Church, Beverly Hills, with ultimate burial in the San Fernando Mission Cemetery, dies of a heart attack, at the age of 79 in LA, this date in 1966.

The NY Times: Side-by-side obituaries “Two of TV’s ‘Good Neighbors’ Die†and “Hollywood Loses Two Top Comedians:†- William Frawley (Lucy’s Fred Mertz) and Alice Pearce, (Gladys Kravitz on Bewitched), comic actress of stage and film, die this date in 1966.

Desi Arnaz paid for a full-page ad to run in the trade papers, in tribute to William Frawley (Lucy’s Fred Mertz), featuring a picture; birth and death dates; and these words: Buenas Noches, Amigo! [Good Night, Friend), this date in 1966.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy’s Safari†- Bob O’Brien, writer - guest co-starring Howard Keel, one of the wild animal episodes, with Lucie Arnaz, as Kim Carter, airs this date in 1969.

The NY Times: Lucille Ball and Robert Preston in Mame, (another Al HIrschfeld, famous Broadway and Hollywood caricaturist drawing), is published this date in 1974.

Frank Wilcox, co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) 1941, 1947; co-star, Lucille Ball, 1947, with Frawley 1948, 1949; 1950; with Lucille, 1950; guest, Desilu Studios-filmed The Red Skelton Show, 1956, 1957, guest cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€) 1957; guest, Desilu Productions' The Ann Sothern Show 1958, The Lineup 1958, December Bride 1958; guest, Desilu Studios-filmed The Red Skelton Show,1958, 1959; guest, Desilu Studios-filmed The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp 1958, 1959; guest, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse 1959; co-star, Desilu Productions' The Scarface Mob 1959, and Alcatraz Express 1960; guest, Desilu Productions' The Untouchables, 18 episodes, 1959-1963; guest, Desilu Productions' The Texan 1960, Angel 1961; dies this date in 1974.

Lucille Ball hosts the sitcom segment on NBC’s The Fabulous Fifties, a beautifully-produced tribute to the “Golden Age of Television,†and so well-received, is re-broadcast several times on PBS, first airing this date in 1978.

Cue NY: Actors Lucie Arnaz (daughter of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz) and Robert Klein appear on cover, on this date in 1979.

Lucie Arnaz (daughter of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz) appearing in one of her final performances in the Broadway musical, They’re Playing Our Song, this date in 1980.

LA Times, Julianne Hastings: “TV Pays Tribute to ‘Famous’ Seven,†published this date in 1984.

Danny Kaye, appearing with Vivian Vance, (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz), in 1941 film; Lucille Ball friend, guests on The Danny Kaye Show,1962; and guest co-star, Desilu Productions’, Here’s Hollywood, 2 episodes, 1962; Lucille's guest co-star, The Lucy Show, as himself, 1964; CBS Salutes Lucy: The First 25 Years, 1976, as well as appears with Lucille, archivally, Entertaining the Troops, 1994, dies this day in 1987.

Tommy Thompson, Director, many-years' experience with Lucille Ball and Desilu Studio' and Desilu Productions', Sheriff of Cochise, assistant director, 1957; Director, Desilu Studios-filmed, Man With A Camera, 1958; Assistant Director, Desilu Productions', The Texan, 1959 and Whirlybirds, 1959; Assistant Director, Lucille Ball-produced Mr. and Mrs., 1964; as well as The Lucy Show: Director, 1962-65, Associate Producer, 1965, and Producer, 1965-68, dies this date in 2000.

AP: “Lucie Arnaz announces plans to leave memorabilia associated with her parents to the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum, Jamestown, NY - Lucille’s hometown, a new not-for-profit group, headed by Lucie and Desi IV, will take over operation of the Museum, hoping to open a larger Museum in the next few years, perhaps with theater attached,†published this date in 2002.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Information Center – In 25 Years Past: “Lucille Ball flew to New York City this date in 1980, to surprise daughter, Lucie Arnaz, appearing in one of her final performances in the Broadway musical, They’re Playing Our Song, but gets her own surprise . . . finding Desi Arnaz backstage . . . ‘everyone had a reunion’ . . .†published this date in 2005.

Desi Arnaz, IV, hosts the third of sister, Lucie Arnaz' Legacy of Laughter seminars, within he and wife, Amy's, Boulder Theatre, the Boulder City Ballet Company, on this date in 2007.

Lueie Arnaz, stars as Sylvia; in Beat Pirate Film's, Wild Seven, writer/director, James M. Hausier, and co-starring Richard Roundtree, as Lee Marvin - Cleetus Woods; Robert Loggia, as Mackey Willis; Robert Forster, as Wilson; as well as many others, a dark vision of Arizona, when a man who breathes nothing but ill will begins a noxious domino effect as quickly as an uncontrollable virus kills;.the film premieres at the Los Angeles Film Festival, in latter part of June, 2006, and is re-released on this date in 2007.

The Latest From Everything Lucy: Lucy Arnaz Coming to Manhattan - “In celebration of her latest release, Latin Roots, Lucie Arnaz will perform March 26th at noon, at J & R Music World, Manhattan, NYC, NY. Lucie has cemented her own footprints in history as an actress, singer, dancer, business executive, producer, director and Broadway star,†posted this date in 2010.

March 4

Robert Bice, guest, Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, 1956, Sheriff of Cohise (unknown year), Desilu Studios-filmed, The Adventures of Jim Bowie, 1956; (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1957; as well as Desilu Productions', The Texan, 2 episodes, 1959; is born this date in 1914.

Barbara McNair, guest panelist, Desilu Productions', You Don't Say, 3 episodes, 1964+; as well as guest star, Desilu Studios-filmed, Hogan's Heroes, 1967, is born this date in 1934.

LA Examiner, Behind the Makeup, by Erskine Johnson: “Lucille Ball, who hit it big in Stage Door, is walking across the RKO lot, carrying what appears to be a baby in a blue blanket, which ‘baby’ turns out to be her pet Schnauzer – you see some strange sights in Hollywood,†published this date in 1938.

NY Times: “Room Service, in which the Marx Brothers will star, to go before the cameras in April, according to the plans revealed today. In addition to the star, Ann Miller, the feminine contingent will feature Lucille Ballâ€, published on this date in 1938.

NY Times: “Vast stretches of one-time sunny Hollywood look like the tag end of a super South Sea storm melodrama, as a result of a four-day storm, followed by a young cloudburst. Lucille Ball awoke to hear her wire-haired dog whimpering in the basement. She found her dog swimming in four feet of waterâ€, published on this date in 1938.

Lucille Ball appears in RKO Radio’s, The Marines Fly High, which is released this date in 1940.

NY Times review - A Girl, A Guy, and a Gob: “Lucille Ball may not be made of India rubber; but she has as much bounce,†published this date in 1940.

Film Daily, RKO - A Girl, A Guy and a Gob: “Hilariously funny comedy, Lucille Ball’s friend and mentor, Harold Lloyd, makes his debut as a producer, is solid smash general entertainment; Lucille Ball, attractive, vivacious, capable and alert to every opportunity, is responsible for much of the hilarity and extreme good-taste entertainment with co-stars George Murphy and Edmond O’Brien,†published this date in 1941.

LA Daily News, Erskine Johnson: “Producer, Harold Lloyd, for the first time in his 20-year film career, is making a personal appearance at A Girl, A Guy and a Gob premiere,†published this date in 1941.

Motion Picture Herald, What the Picture Did For Me: DuBarry Was a Lady: Red Skelton and Lucille Ball – “This is a swell picture. One of best musicals ever produced and by far largest crowd for a Sunday and Monday,†published this date in 1944.

Mark Sandrich, Director, 2 Lucille Ball early film-career, Top Hat, 1935, and Follow the Fleet, 1936, dies this date in 1945.

Hollywood Citizen News, Radio, by Zuma Palmer: “Lucille Ball will be heard over KNX in CBS Radio’s The Lady Esther Screen Guild Theater, with Dennis O’Keefe and Barry Sullivan in Getting Gertie’s Garter,†published this date in 1946.

LA Evening Herald Express, Harrison Carroll: “Lucille Ball’s interest in helicopters will get her a series of four articles in the Saturday Evening Post,†published this date in 1946.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear on CBS Radio, 30-minute Situation Comedy, My Favorite Husband “Mothers-In-Law†- episode 34, with regular cast members, Bea Benaderet and Gale Gordon, airing this date in 1949.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy Writes a Novel,†an episode wherein Lucy tries to become a successful author, a little ‘too real’ for the Mertzes and Ricky, is filmed this date in 1954.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy Raises Chickens†- a plot to get the Mertzes to Connecticut; move into the guesthouse; and go into the chicken-raising business with the Ricardos, with Keith Thibodeaux, as Little Ricky, Mary Jane Croft and Tyler McVey, judged a fan favorite, airing this date in 1957.

Desi Arnaz, finding no takers to sponsor his ‘dream’ eight one-hour Lucy-Desi specials, went to Ford, [having done business with Ford when it earlier previewed it first retractable hardtop], this date in 1957.

Jamestown Post Journal: Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz Separate, Seek Divorce – Television’s Most Popular Married Couple Split By Too Much Success, In Films, TV Hollywood (AP) – by James Bacon – “The red-haired comedienne often called the ‘greatest feminine Clown’, sued her Cuban tycoon husband for divorce in Santa Monica, Thursday. She says the couple separated February 26, 1959, after 19 years and three months of married life. Desi has been living in Palm Springs, and Lucille in the couple’s Beverly Hills mansion with their two children, Lucie, 9 and Desi IV, 7. The two share joint custody. Lucille will be moving to New York City with the children, having signed on to a Broadway musical in the fall. Desi will continue as head of Desilu Productions,†published this date in 1960.

Time – “Peopleâ€, article published this date in 1960.

NY Times, “Lucille Ball Sues Arnaz for Divorce,†published this date in 1960.

San Francisco Chronicle: “Lucy Divorcing Desi: ‘I Just Can’t Go On,’†published this date in 1960.

Jamestown Post Journal: (AP) Wirephoto – In Happier Days – Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, who have announced their separation and divorce proceedings, are shown, with their two children, Lucie Desiree and Desi IV, as they arrived in London during a European Tour last year,†published this date in 1960.

“Lucy is a Soda Jerk†A.K.A. “Lucy Is A Drum Majorette†(The Lucy Show), Lucie Arnaz’ first appearance, as co-star - plot has Lucy and Viv substituting for Chris at her job to be a drum majorette, with Paul Hartman, airing this date in 1963.

NY Times reports: “William Frawley (Lucy’s Fred Mertz), Actor, Dead; Played Lucy’s Landlord on TV,†published this date in 1966.

Los Angeles Times: “William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), was 79 years old when he died,†published this date in 1966.

NY Herald Tribune reports: “William Frawley (Lucy’s Fred Mertz), TV’s Perennial Man Next Door,†published this date in 1966.

The Lucy Show “Lucy and Sid Caesar†- Bob O’Brien, writer, guest co-stars Sid Caesar, as a Bank client involved in identity theft, with friend and veteran supporting cast member, Carole Cook with hilarious results, airing this date in 1968.

Lucie Arnaz in a guest appearance, as Marguerite Webster, in The Sixth Sense, “With This Ring, I Thee Kill!â€, starring Gary Collins, as Dr. Michael Rhodes, as well as Will Geer and Lee Majors, and others, airing this date in 1972.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy Carter Meets Lucille Ballâ€, guest co-starring Lucie Arnaz, as Kim Carter, who enters a “Lucille Ball ‘look-alike’ contestâ€, with veteran supporting cast member, Carole Cook - a ‘30-minute commercial’ for soon-to-be-released Mame, aping techniques used in The Patty Duke Show as they filmed the ‘twins,’ also co-starring Gary Morton, Doris Singleton, Roy Rowan, and others, airing this date in 1974.

Desi Arnaz appears on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, on this date on 1976.

LA Times, Cecil Smith: “The Long Shots of Desi Arnaz,†this date in 1976.

Lucille Ball guest appears on CBS’ The Mary Tyler Moore Hour, with veteran Lucy supporting cast member, Vanda Barra, Mike Douglas, and an all-star cast, show premiering this date in 1979.

Lucille Ball is inducted into NBC’s The First Academy of TV Arts and Sciences Television Hall of Fame, and views it as her favorite Award, presented by Carol Burnett, after a live salute by Desi Arnaz IV, and a musical tribute by Lucie Arnaz via video tape from NY, where she is appearing on Broadway in, My Mother the Star; other winners: long-time friend, Milton Berle, Norman Lear, and William S. Paley, as well as David Sarnoff, archivally presented, airing this date in 1984.

People “TV’s Rerun Madness†– Lucille Ball is one of the several stars highlighted, published this date in 1985.

People: “Fan Review,†published this date in 1985.

The Post-Journal, Information Center - In Years Past – 50 Years Ago: “Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, television's most popular couple, were in the divorce courts, victims of too much success. The red-haired comedienne, often called the greatest feminine clown, sued her Cuban tycoon husband in Santa Monica, CA. Her charge was the usual Hollywood complaint - mental cruelty. Her action confirmed a fact which had been well known in the movie colony for months. In her suit, she said the couple separated February 26, 1959, after 19 years and three months of married life and two children. The last episode of (“I Love Lucyâ€) was filmed in January and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), Lucy and Ricky's sidekick, and Fred Mertz' wife, said: 'We did the last Lucy in January, the last one that ever will be done. We did 210 of them. I miss the early days. We had fun'â€, is published this date in 2010.

March 5

Henry Durrell ‘Had’ Ball, Lucille Ball’s father, buried in Jamestown NY, this date in 1915.

Craig Hill, guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, Wire Service, as well as Whirlybirds, 111 episodes, 1957-1963, is born this date in 1926.

Jack Cassidy, Lucille Ball guest co-star, The Lucy Show, 1965; Desilu Productions’, Mission: Impossible, 1972, is born this date in 1927.

Lucille Ball stars in Top Hat, an early-career movie nominated for an Academy Award, this date in 1936.

Dean Stockwell, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, 1945, and Desilu Productions’, The Greatest Show on Earth, 1963, is born this date in 1936.

Lucille Ball appears in RKO Radio film, Don’t Tell The Wife, which is released this date in 1937.

Radio Guide: Lucille Ball’s earliest-known United States magazine cover, a full-page black and white photo, is published this date in 1938.

William Frawley (Lucy’s Fred Mertz) appears in Brooklyn Daily Eagle: “He Wasn’t the Type,†to be what his father wanted – a railroad man. That’s What Somebody Said about Bill Frawley, Who Finally Arrived the Hard Way: ‘I fell in love with the stage the first time I set foot in a theater,’†published this date in 1939.

Hollywood Citizen News, James Francis Crow: “Lucille Ball, another blonde, favorite of Darryl F. Zanuck, tested for a role in Strictly Dynamite,†published this date in 1942.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear My Favorite Husband “Women’s Rights, Part 1†- Episode 78, airs this date in 1950.

Lucille Ball, in Collier’s Magazine, promotes The Long, Long Trailer, this date in 1954.

LA Mirror - Hal Humphrey column: “Promoting The Long, Long Trailer, the love people bore Lucille Ball approached adulation, never more plain that a woman appearing before them in their hotel lobby and asking the Arnazes to baptize her baby,†published this date in 1955.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy Meets Charles Boyer†- plot involves Ricky telling Boyer not to tell Lucy who he is, as Lucy goes crazy over stars - with resultant hilarity, supporting cast member, Jack Chefe airs this date in 1956.

New York Times: “Lucille Ball to star in new television series for CBS, produced by former husband, Desi Arnaz,†published this date in 1962.

(“Here’s Lucyâ€) “Lucy and Harry’s Memoirs†- Bob O’Brien, writer of the 'wrap-a-round' segments - Harry sells the business - another Lucy segment, in retrospect, a recurring theme of Lucy walking out of the office; with Lucie Arnaz, as Kim Carter, airing on this date in 1973.

Desi Arnaz appears in an NBC: Hope Enterprises Presentation - Bob Hope Special “Joys†(a spoof of Jaws), over 50 comedians participating, each having been invited to Bob Hope’s residence and are mysteriously attacked and thrown into the pool, broadcast on this date in 1976.

Lucille Ball beautifully moderates NBC’s The Fabulous ‘50’s, this date in 1978.

Jay Silverheels, one of the co-stars in Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz’ film, Too Many Girls, 1940, dies this date in 1980.

John Belushi, of Saturday Night Live fame, appears with Desi Arnaz, The Hollywood Squares, 1972; as well as with Desi Arnaz and Desi Arnaz, IV, Saturday Night Live, 1976, with Desi Arnaz IV, again in 1978; as well as, archivally, with Desi Arnaz IV, Best of Schiller's Reel, 1994, dies this date in 1982.

Desi Arnaz IV stars as Walter Nebicher in 20th Century Fox TV’s Automan, “Renegade Runâ€, starring Chuck Wagner, as Automan, Robert Lansing and Gerald S. O'Loughlin; guest co-starring Richard Anderson - Desi's partner - Dino, Desi & Billy combo - Billy Hinsche, composer, theme music, airing this date in 1984.

William Powell, early film-career co-star of Lucille Ball, dies this date in 1984.

Lucille Ball, Hostess, at the taping of the opening of the Bob Hope Cultural Center, Palm Springs, California, on NBC’s America’s Tribute to Bob Hope, and is present for much of the first half of the show, with President and Mrs. Reagan in attendance, amidst many friends of Hope, as well as many other persons in the industry, taping occurs this date in 1988.

People, Desi Arnaz IV: ‘My Mom, Lucille Ball’ – “My parents’ motto was to go forward; make the most of my own life – I miss her greatly – the spirit of my parents’ happiness is a great gift to me,†article published this date in 1991.

Whit Bissel, guest star, Desilu Productions’ Sheriff of Cochise 1957; Whirlybirds [unknown year]; Desilu Studios-filmed The Real McCoys 1958, 1959; Desilu Productions’ The Brothers 1958; The Californians 1958; (Desilu-filmed) The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp 1959; Desilu Productions’ The Texan 1959; The Untouchables 1959; Glynis 1963; Desilu Studios-filmed Hogan's Heroes 1966; Desilu Productions’ Star Trek 1967; as well as (“Here’s Lucyâ€) 1969, dies this date in 1996.

Donald Woods, Lucille Ball early-movie co-star 1939, dies this date in 1998.

Times Union (Albany, NY): “And No, the Mertzes Didn’t Own It,†article published this date in 2002.

The Post Journal – Jamestown NY – Looking Ahead – Lucy-Desi Center Planning for Interesting Future – by Kristen Johnson – “Mike LaTona, Lucy-Desi Center Board President, says ‘the center recently got a nice gift basket from Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz, Jr., to let us know they support us through the challenging weeks that lie ahead’. The Center is wrapping up a search for a new executve director and are working to craft a more long-term plan that will ‘take the center in very interesting directions’. A refinancing and business plan are in the process,†published this date in 2009.

The Post Journal – Jamestown NY – Center Adds New Display – Iconic Moviola Now On Display at Lucy-Desi Center – by Kristen Johnson – “The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center has a new piece to add to its collection. A Moviola – an iconic device which allowed editors to view film while editing – has been donated to the center by Rob Wallin of Los Angeles, CA. Chautauqua Region Community Foundation donated the funds for shipping the Moviola to Jamestown,†published this date in 2009.

The Post Journal – Jamestown NY – Lucy-Desi Center Close To Hiring New Executive Director – by Kristen Johnson – “The search for a new executive director at the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center is winding down. Mike LaTone, Center Board President, says final interviews will be conducted Monday. An announcement regarding the position is expected within ‘the next two weeks’;the search having gone extremely well, from over a hundred applicants from all over the country, interviewing both in person and via telephone conference – hoping to have same in place by April 1. We’re going ahead with planning for a May Festival, as well,†published this date in 2009.

March 6

William Frawley (Lucy’s Fred Mertz) is baptized this date in 1887.

Lou Costello, of the Abbott & Costello comedy team, Lucille Ball radio and film co-star, 1945, (who, when Lucille was under scrutiny during the Communist Scare, stood guard on the fringe area of the Arnaz’ property. When Lucille noticed him there, she asked him what he was doing, he replied: [“You just go about your business. I’m just hanging out here for the day. I thought you might need a friend about now . . .â€); appears with Lucille, archivally, Entertaining the Troops, 1994; co-star archivally, with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz: Ed Sullivan All-Star Comedy Special, 1995; as well as, archivally, Bob Hope: Hollywood's Brightest Star, Video Entertainment, 1996, is born this date in 1906.

Ed McMahon, Johnny Carson side-kick The Tonight Show; friend and guest co-star of Lucille Ball, (“Here’s Lucyâ€), 1969, 1973; appearing with Lucille Ball in Swing Out, Sweet Land, with many other stars, 1970; A Lucille Ball Special: “Lucy Calls the President†1977, with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, via archival footage, Off the Menu: The Last Days of Chasen's 1997, as well as archivally, Working With Lucy: A Conversation With James E. Brodhead, 2010, is born this date in 1923.

Hollywood Citizen News, Harrison Carroll: “You should have seen Lucille Ball in action when an overhead light commenced to sputter and shower sparks on a seaplane in which she was floating on a studio tank. She was into the water in one leap, wearing a white suit; movie held up while wardrobe and makeup repaired her for the camera,†published this date in 1939.

Rob Reiner, writer, of All In The Family fame, son of Carl Reiner; guest star, Desi Arnaz Productions', The Mothers-In-Law, 1967; appears with Lucie Arnaz, CBS At 75, 2003; as well as with Lucille Ball, via archival footage, TV's 50 Funniest Phrases, 2009, is born this date in 1947.

Time: “Flight to the West?,†published this date in 1950.

TV Guide: Defined, as an endorsement, (“I Love Lucyâ€) as “the season’s most popular program – smooth, deft, solidly produced, and funny,†this date in 1951.

Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America “The Listening Handâ€, airs this date in 1956.

NY Post – The Lyons Den, Leonard Lyons: “Suit for Divorceâ€, article published this date in 1960.

Variety: This is probably the last time we will be seeing Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz in film together within the framework of that wackiest of all TV families, the Ricardos . . .†published in 1960.

Variety: “('I Love Lucy') alumnus, Jess Oppenheimer, creator/writer - re-surfaced following news of the upcoming Lucille Ball series] - was reported yesterday returning to the same duties, as Lucille Ball’s head writer on the new venture, apparently news planted by Oppenheimer himself, whose comment: . . . ‘not been approached directly’ for the job. ‘I’m always interested in what Lucille Ball does’â€, published this date in 1962.

Lucille Ball announces she has signed with CBS for another season, the highest-priced half-hour series in television history to that point. Although she had previously, and vigorously, denied that her CBS’ return was largely predicated on the network financing Desilu pilots, her renegotiated pact stipulated the network would indeed bankroll ‘a number’ of prospective Desilu series ventures, this date in 1964.

The Lucy Show “Lucy Meets Sheldon Leonard†- Bob O’Brien, Ray Singer, writers, Lucy and veteran supporting cast member, Mary Jane Croft, conspire to interrupt what they perceive to be a bank robbery, when guest co-star, Sheldon Leonard, is overheard speaking of ‘shooting’ in the Bank, when in fact, he means filming, airing this date in 1967.

Nelson Eddy, appears with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, MGM Parade, 1956; guest, Desilu-Studios'-filmed, The Danny Thomas Show, 1956; as well as with Lucille, That'e Entertainment! III, both archivally; 1994; dies this date in 1967.

Desi Arnaz appears on The Andy Williams Show, on this date in 1971.

Max 'Slapsie Maxie' Rosenbloom, Lucille Ball co-star, Muss'em Up 1936; guest star, Desilu Studios-filmed The Red Skelton Show 1958, 1960, as well as guest star, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse 1960; is born this date in 1904.

Lucille Ball appears on CBS’ 60-minute The Mary Tyler Moore Hour, a disappointing show, with poor writing, using the three-camera system, but without an audience, this plot involving Mary and Lucille, meeting in a boutique; getting tipsy on Irish coffee; and conspiring against Talk Show Host, Mike Douglas, so Lucille can appear on Mary’s program, airing this date in 1979.

Elvia Allman, Lucille Ball veteran supporting cast member – (“I Love Lucyâ€) 1952; 1954, 1955; Desilu Productions’, Our Miss Brooks, 1953; December Bride, 1954, 1957, 1958; The Ann Sothern Show, 1958; The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, 1957, 1959; as well as The Lucy Show, 1966, 1967, dies this date in 1992.

People Magazine, by Steven M. Silverman – “Passages – Lucy’s House Can Be Yours†– posted this date in 2002.

Frances Dee, Lucille Ball co-star, 1933, dies this date in 2004.

The Lucy Lounge Website: courtesy: 'JoeySoCal' - “The Paley Center for Media (formerly known as The Museum of Television and Radio, with locations in Beverly Hills and New York), was the Site for the 27th Annual PaleyFest - William S. Paley Television Festival 2/26--3/14/2010 - in the Saban Theatre (formerly the Wilshire' Theatre), beginning with a classic brief film clip to start the show. Last night's film clip was a scene from the The Lucy Show, with Carol Burnett, where they were flight attendants. The audience seemed to enjoy it as much as this Lucy fan did!â€, posted this date in 2010.

The Lucy Arnaz Website: “I will be singing and signing autographs on March 26, at noon, at J&R Music, lower Manhattan. My son, Joe Luckinbill, who co-wrote one of the best tunes in my new Latin Roots CD, will be my special guest, and we will perform his song The Music in Your Heart, along with 5 other tracks. We will be joined by legendary percussionist, Papo Pepin, My son, Joe's first-ever CD, simply 'Joe Luckinbill', will also be on sale that dayâ€, announced this date in 2010.

March 7

Film Daily – RKO Radio The Farmer in the Dell with Lucille Ball, a film for the entire family, published this date in 1936.

Motion Picture Herald, What the Picture Did For Me: I Dream Too Much: Lucille Ball, Lily Pons and Henry Fonda,†published this date in 1936.

Daniel J. Travanti, Winner, appears with Lucille Ball, The 33rd Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, 1981; as well as appears with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982, is born this date in 1940.

Lucille Ball appears in RKO Radio film Marines Fly High, released this date in 1940.

[‘Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude to “I Love Lucy†which made history and will perpetuate.] Kinescope copies of The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz TV Show pilot were available for sponsor consideration, with agent Don Sharpe’s on-the-road selling job, trying to get the show on alternate weeks, this date in 1951.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) stars in Abbott & Costello Meet the Invisible Man, also co-starring Chuck Hamilton, character actor/stuntman, released this date in 1951.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “The Kleptomaniac,†an episode wherein Ricky thinks Lucy has become a thief, is filmed this date in 1952.

Edward Sedgwick, mentor and father figure to Lucille Ball, age 60, dies this date in 1953.

From his obituary, LA Times: Edward Sedgwick, Director, and Lucille Ball’s friend from the 1930’s, as well as Desi Arnaz’ in later years: “I saw this beautiful girl walking around the Goldwyn Lot in the 30’s. She was one of the Goldwyn Girls. I’d see her tell a story and watch her facial expressions change. She’d illustrate it with everything she had. I got up my nerve to talk to her and said: ‘Young lady, if you play your cards right, you can be the greatest comedienne in show business . . .’†published this date in 1953.

NBC's 7th Annual Emmys, held at Moulin Rouge, (formerly (1953) the Earl Carroll Theater), in Hollywood, hosted by Steve Allen, the first televised nationally - The Pereno’s, the (“I Love Lucyâ€) phenomenon showed signs of faltering - received five nominations; but no Emmy, (Research note: courtesy 'bweir' and 'rickee' – The Lucy Lounge blog 2/15/2010: Moulin Rouge is now the home of Nickelodeon's west coast live-action production headquarters, the City of LA Historic Preservation Board, in September 2007, having worked to assure the theater's protection), airs this date in 1955.

Jamestown Post Journal: Lucy to Star in New Series Next Season – “Lucille Ball will star in a new half-hour comedy series on WBEN-TV next fall, announced by CBS’ TV Network, NY, produced by Desi Arnaz at Desilu Studios, Hollywood,†published this date in 1962.

Lucille Ball is the mystery guest on CBS’ (“What’s My Line?â€) while in New York for her annual meetings with CBS’ executives; looking beautiful, and stumping the panel, this date in 1965.

Jamestown Post Journal: Lucille Ball Donates to Home Building Fund – “Jamestown’s Lucille Ball is the latest contributor to the Gustavus Adolphus Children’s Home Building Fund drive for $310,000. The Fund has reached a total of $40,000. One-half of Lucille’s gift came from her personally and one-half from the Desilu Productions, Inc., which she heads,†published this date in 1966.

“Lucy and Clint Walker†(The Lucy Show), the second of two segments guest co-starring Clint Walker, in which Lucy knits a red sweater, with usual results, airing this date in 1966.

Desilu Productions', ABC’s Wide World of Entertainment, “Jack Paar Tonight†with Liza Minnelli and David Niven, among others, airs this date in 1973.

Lucille Ball appears on The Dick Cavett Show, and tells of adventures working with the Marx Brothers, who always requested a ‘closed set’ when they were at work; found out there were ‘guests’ and ‘streaked’ en masse, across the set – the guests were nuns and priests – the Show airing this date in 1974.

Desi Arnaz IV stars, as Billy Two Hats in United Artists' and ABC-TV, Billy Two Hats, co-starring Gregory Peck, as Arch Deans, and Jack Warden, as Sheriff Henry Gifford, among many others, released this date in 1974.

Ben Blue, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, 1943, 1946; Desilu Productions’, Harrigan and Son, 1961, as well as Lucille Ball co-star, 1967, dies this date in 1975.

Paula Winslow guest, Desilu Studios-filmed, Our Miss Brooks, 9 episodes, 1952-1955; cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1956; as well as guest, Desilu Studios-filmed, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, 1961, dies this date in 1996.

Jack Perkins, guest, Desilu Productions', Yancy Derringer, and Whirlybirds, 1958, Angel, 1961; co-star, uncredited, Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), 1965; Lucille Ball guest, The Lucy Show, 1966, as well as co-star, Desi Arnaz IV, Automan, 1983; dies this date in 1998.

The Post-Journal: “Lucie Arnaz announces future plans for The Lucy-Desi Museum, Jamestown, New York [Lucille Ball’s hometown]. She and brother, Desi IV: ‘…hope for an enlargement of the Museum in the next few years,’†published this date in 2002.

Jimmy Boyd, guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Bing Crosby Show, and with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), My Three Sons, 1964; as well as Desi Arnaz Productions', The Mothers-In-Law, 1968, dies this date in 2009.

You could add for Lou Costello that he was one of the FEW riends in Hollywood to appear in Lucy's backyard asking if he could help with anything when she went through the RED scare. From March 4th Chronology.

My information for Lou Costello, which does include that blurb, is on his birth date: March 6; [March 4 - you got me cornfused, for corn's sake!, dear!] The death notice, 3/3, and for all death notices, just lists the minimum of information, though; as, if I repeated ALL on both births and deaths, this thin' would be approaching 900 pages! Are we on the right page now? Love, JK

Ok, March 5th is defnitely WRONG, Lucy did host the opening of the Bob Hope Cultural Center but you are confusing it with anther special that Bob Hope did honoring Lucy AFTER she died. Lucy hosted all right and then after she passed on Bob honored her with this special Bob Hope's Love affair with Lucy where he eulogized her, they showed her coming out fronm various shows she did with him and then the stars introduced some of their best sketches together over the years. BUT, they were TWO different specials, the first one did air while she was still alive but the second one after she passed on. Obviously, as it was honoring her, the best special he ever did with her by the way as it showed some of the few decent sketches they ever did together. Unless i'm reading it wrong as some of your entries are quite confusing, they have so much information in them that they sound like some of my posts, LOL! And it might sound better as Betty White and Kirk Cameron and George Burns, the three celebs honoring her with stories about her, not Betty and Kirk Cameron which makes it sound like it's Kirk and his wife, LOL!

Hello :)

You asked in another thread about name ideas for your chronology. I can't remember where that thread was, so thought I would post here, as two ideas just popped into my head ("Lucy to Littlesmallvoice, come in Littlesmallvoice, over! :lucythrill: )

Lucy Day by Day

OR

Lucy and Friends, Day by Day

You asked in another thread about name ideas for your chronology. I can't remember where that thread was, so thought I would post here, as two ideas just popped into my head ("Lucy to Littlesmallvoice, come in Littlesmallvoice, over! :lucythrill: )

Lucy Day by Day

OR

I vote for Lucy Day by Day, just perfect for a title for this.

Lucy Day by Day

OR

Well, these are certainly more PRECISE than my thoughts for:

Lucille lost her diary; and I found it.... tee hee [just kidding]

keep 'em coming.... we'll, together, hit on just the right one!

Love, JK

Well, these are certainly more PRECISE than my thoughts for:

Lucille lost her diary; and I found it.... tee hee [just kidding]

keep 'em coming.... we'll, together, hit on just the right one!

Love, JK

But what about the March 5th error on thsoe two specials?

But what about the March 5th error on thsoe two specials?

Claude, Dear: I've been researching today about the March 5 entry:

The Lucy Book, by G. M. Fidelman: [page 346] - I've used nearly the exact language he uses when describing this America's Tribute to Bob Hope, and Lucille's part in it.

I'm a bit confused by what OTHER special you see on March 5 - I'm going right back there now, and read it. I've been reading from my 'printed' copy, printed last fall; so, may have put in a wrong entry for another special - get right back to you - got it - I had added wrong information for that date - am deleting this as we speak....as usual, you experts can spot my sloppiness.

Thanks, Claude. Love, JK

Claude, Dear: I've been researching today about the March 5 entry:

The Lucy Book, by G. M. Fidelman: [page 346] - I've used nearly the exact language he uses when describing this America's Tribute to Bob Hope, and Lucille's part in it.

I'm a bit confused by what OTHER special you see on March 5 - I'm going right back there now, and read it. I've been reading from my 'printed' copy, printed last fall; so, may have put in a wrong entry for another special - get right back to you - got it - I had added wrong information for that date - am deleting this as we speak....as usual, you experts can spot my sloppiness.

Thanks, Claude. Love, JK

You're talking about two different specials but you have combined the comments. Lucy hosted the Tribute to Bob Hope and it DID appear or WAS televised while she was still alive, the other special Bob Hope's Love Affair with Lucy aired after she passed on, the three stars mentionned introduced the best sketches Lucy and Hope did together.

You're talking about two different specials but you have combined the comments. Lucy hosted the Tribute to Bob Hope and it DID appear or WAS televised while she was still alive, the other special Bob Hope's Love Affair with Lucy aired after she passed on, the three stars mentionned introduced the best sketches Lucy and Hope did together.

Some of my entries went in 'years ago'; and have, as yet, to be edited. Somehow, I added the offensive 'blurb' to the wrong occasion; must have been asleep at the switch. In any event, as you can see, it's gone now, and added to the correct tribute to Lucy. I also added Kirk Cameron to my chronology, which I had previously NOT added; so, I guess the 'error' you found (THANK YOU!!!) ws a god-send.... Love, JK

Archived