Lucy's 100th Birthday Celebration

As per the new Lucy-Desi site link provided in the "Plans" thread by Mary Jane Fan, it looks like plans are well underway for the August Festival:

LucyTown Tours - the ever-popular bus tour of Lucille Ball's hometown of Jamestown, NY. (2hrs)

Cemetery Tours - guided tour of Lakeview Cemetery including the Hunt-Ball plot where Lucille Ball rests today, as well as the resting places of many of her friends and relatives, and some very interesting and storied figures in Jamestown history.

Silent Auction - including one-of-a-kind memorabilia, collectibles, unique experiential opportunities, and original artwork.

Book Signing - featuring the authors of the most renown literature on Lucy and Desi.

Panel Discussion: The most popular show in television history.

Lucy-Desi Night at the Jamestown Jammers baseball game - catch a foul ball or snag a signed single-edition 100th Birthday Celebration jersey featuring Lucy's and Desi's iconic faces.

Fanfare Relived - A once-in-a-lifetime and never-before-seen event not to miss: a historical re-enactment of the day Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz arrived in Jamestown, NY for the world premiere of Forever, Darling in 1956. Celebrate the 55th anniversary of one of the biggest nights in Jamestown history.

Parade: An actual part of the world premiere of Forever, Darling in 1956, the downtown Jamestown parade will be part historical re-enactment, part celebration fitting of the Centennial of the Queen of Comedy.

Headliner Performance - Fri or Sat evening, pending.

As per the new Lucy-Desi site link provided in the "Plans" thread by Mary Jane Fan, it looks like plans are well underway for the August Festival:

LucyTown Tours - the ever-popular bus tour of Lucille Ball's hometown of Jamestown, NY. (2hrs)

Cemetery Tours - guided tour of Lakeview Cemetery including the Hunt-Ball plot where Lucille Ball rests today, as well as the resting places of many of her friends and relatives, and some very interesting and storied figures in Jamestown history.

Silent Auction - including one-of-a-kind memorabilia, collectibles, unique experiential opportunities, and original artwork.

Book Signing - featuring the authors of the most renown literature on Lucy and Desi.

Panel Discussion: The most popular show in television history.

Lucy-Desi Night at the Jamestown Jammers baseball game - catch a foul ball or snag a signed single-edition 100th Birthday Celebration jersey featuring Lucy's and Desi's iconic faces.

Fanfare Relived - A once-in-a-lifetime and never-before-seen event not to miss: a historical re-enactment of the day Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz arrived in Jamestown, NY for the world premiere of Forever, Darling in 1956. Celebrate the 55th anniversary of one of the biggest nights in Jamestown history.

Parade: An actual part of the world premiere of Forever, Darling in 1956, the downtown Jamestown parade will be part historical re-enactment, part celebration fitting of the Centennial of the Queen of Comedy.

Headliner Performance - Fri or Sat evening, pending.

WOW, looks like they're getting their act together as the most important date in Lucy history comes up and they're pulling out all the stops, thank God!

Probably some of the better New England WOODS.

madmadmargo.jpg We have some walnut that looks a little worried. Or maybe you'd prefer a melancholy mahogany? Or, if you want something really distressed, we have some pecky cypress that's on the verge of suicide!

madmadmargo.jpg We have some walnut that looks a little worried. Or maybe you'd prefer a melancholy mahogany? Or, if you want something really distressed, we have some pecky cypress that's on the verge of suicide!

Are you j OAK ing here? If not, i MA y PLE a hissy FIR i mean fit and land myself at CEDAR Sinai! :marionstrong: SPRUCE up your posts with more j OAK es like that because i PINE for those.

I correspond with a former Board member, 'in the know' about thin's; her comment, as of Monday this week:

Last I heard, maybe 2 weeks ago, the cruise is still a -go ----- but you're right, without Lucie & Desi Jr., Diane Vincent, and other Celebs [non-attending] --- plus cost --- plus Hurricane Season.......just not "ideal".

Should I hear about the Cruise, I shall post....Love, JK

I correspond with a former Board member, 'in the know' about thin's; her comment, as of Monday this week:

Last I heard, maybe 2 weeks ago, the cruise is still a -go ----- but you're right, without Lucie & Desi Jr., Diane Vincent, and other Celebs [non-attending] --- plus cost --- plus Hurricane Season.......just not "ideal".

Should I hear about the Cruise, I shall post....Love, JK

Hmm....I heard the plug was pulled. Interesting. unsure.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Well I hope there's a little more than that, it seems kinda sparse compared to the number of events at celebrations I've been to before. And neither of the kids or Diane Vincent?! ACK. At least get Carole Cook as the headliner! I'm hoping to go with a few friends but I'd like for there to be more things to do...grape stomping or chocolate wrapping contests, a fashion show, movie and LWL screenings, Lucy Under the Stars, picnic at the park in Celoron, some sort of event one night in the Tropicana Room, Lucy artists working on the street. I don't remember the auction being a silent auction, when/why did that change? I thought it was fun to bid aloud...sometimes you got a steal and other times people were battling ridiculously for things, I loved it! And what about the collector's show? My family also liked doing the scavenger hunts and seeing some of the shops in Jamestown, would love for one of those to be put in place again. Just some suggestions, hope the right person will see them.

Well I hope there's a little more than that, it seems kinda sparse compared to the number of events at celebrations I've been to before. And neither of the kids or Diane Vincent?! ACK. At least get Carole Cook as the headliner! I'm hoping to go with a few friends but I'd like for there to be more things to do...grape stomping or chocolate wrapping contests, a fashion show, movie and LWL screenings, Lucy Under the Stars, picnic at the park in Celoron, some sort of event one night in the Tropicana Room, Lucy artists working on the street. I don't remember the auction being a silent auction, when/why did that change? I thought it was fun to bid aloud...sometimes you got a steal and other times people were battling ridiculously for things, I loved it! And what about the collector's show? My family also liked doing the scavenger hunts and seeing some of the shops in Jamestown, would love for one of those to be put in place again. Just some suggestions, hope the right person will see them.

Maybe you should get yourself a seat on the organizing committee, you're doing better than them. :lucythrill:

Yes, well, i thought about that also, can one have a better job than keeping the legacy of Lucy alive? I think not. Lunch breaks alone, rummaging through REAL Lucy items.

If a position was available after graduation I would be all over it. Now, not to say there aren't any hardcore Lucy fans working there now (there very well could be), but I think the museum needs some people who love Lucy like we do, people who's passion IS Lucy.

I noticed this mentioned on the museum's new site under the festival info: "The Queen of Comedy didn't want her legacy to be viewed through a glass case as much as living on in the form of laughter." This may be true, but if I make the trip to Jamestown its for Lucy, not to see stand-up comedians (I can see plenty of those where I live). I'm not saying I won't see the comedian, but I'm more interested in Lucy. Her legacy can be commemorated in other ways than items in showcases: screenings (ILL, TLS, HL, LWL, specials, movies, TV appearances, etc.), re-enactments, symposiums/discussions (Lucy's importance to TV, Lucy's importance to comedy, Lucy and fashion, Desilu, etc.)...I'm sure there's much more I could come up with. I'm still troubled that there may be no Lucy-related celebrities at the festival....I hope they aren't choosing the comedian in lieu of a "Lucy Celebrity." Like I mentioned earlier, bring Carole Cook in, not only do you have Lucy's protege (!!!) but you get a woman who is HILARIOUS beyond belief and will undoubtedly have any audience rolling in the aisles.

If a position was available after graduation I would be all over it. Now, not to say there aren't any hardcore Lucy fans working there now (there very well could be), but I think the museum needs some people who love Lucy like we do, people who's passion IS Lucy.

I noticed this mentioned on the museum's new site under the festival info: "The Queen of Comedy didn't want her legacy to be viewed through a glass case as much as living on in the form of laughter." This may be true, but if I make the trip to Jamestown its for Lucy, not to see stand-up comedians (I can see plenty of those where I live). I'm not saying I won't see the comedian, but I'm more interested in Lucy. Her legacy can be commemorated in other ways than items in showcases: screenings (ILL, TLS, HL, LWL, specials, movies, TV appearances, etc.), re-enactments, symposiums/discussions (Lucy's importance to TV, Lucy's importance to comedy, Lucy and fashion, Desilu, etc.)...I'm sure there's much more I could come up with. I'm still troubled that there may be no Lucy-related celebrities at the festival....I hope they aren't choosing the comedian in lieu of a "Lucy Celebrity." Like I mentioned earlier, bring Carole Cook in, not only do you have Lucy's protege (!!!) but you get a woman who is HILARIOUS beyond belief and will undoubtedly have any audience rolling in the aisles.

True, but living there full time might not be so pleasant though. AND that IS the problem, they have people there who want the jobs and money, not many are there to pay tribute to the world's greatest comedienne who ever lived. And i so agree about your comment about having comics there, if i go there, i'll be going to see Lucy related things and people, not new comics.

True, but living there full time might not be so pleasant though. AND that IS the problem, they have people there who want the jobs and money, not many are there to pay tribute to the world's greatest comedienne who ever lived. And i so agree about your comment about having comics there, if i go there, i'll be going to see Lucy related things and people, not new comics.

I so agree. When I go to Jamestown, my focus is Lucy, not new comics. I realize Lucy's desire was to focus on aspiring comedians and the Arnaz family would like the Center to include aspiring comedians as well as the healing powers of love and laughter. I'm all for that and I believe that these are very relevant components to the Center, but as a Lucy fan my focus when I go to Jamestown is to see/experience Lucy stuff. I also get the sense - correct me if I'm wrong - that the Center's main draw/base of supporters are Lucy fans. To keep this base of support, Lucy must not be forgotten and there should be a balance between Lucy stuff for us Lucy fans and due focus given to aspiring comedians and the healing powers of love and laughter.

Just my two cents on the matter. :)

I so agree. When I go to Jamestown, my focus is Lucy, not new comics. I realize Lucy's desire was to focus on aspiring comedians and the Arnaz family would like the Center to include aspiring comedians as well as the healing powers of love and laughter. I'm all for that and I believe that these are very relevant components to the Center, but as a Lucy fan my focus when I go to Jamestown is to see/experience Lucy stuff. I also get the sense - correct me if I'm wrong - that the Center's main draw/base of supporters are Lucy fans. To keep this base of support, Lucy must not be forgotten and there should be a balance between Lucy stuff for us Lucy fans and due focus given to aspiring comedians and the healing powers of love and laughter.

Just my two cents on the matter. :)

They should wake up to the fact that Jamestown's main focus and claim to fame IS Lucille Ball.

• 6 months later...

I'll be adding what appears below to the chronology this date:

The Post Journal: Lucy's 100th Was Great Success - by Lee Harkness, Executive Director of the DJDC - Downtown Chatter - "This last week, we had our monthly business and celebrate Jamestown meeting.

Journey Gunderson is the Executive Director of the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center, giving a report on attendance at Lucy's 100th Birthday Celebration. There were 780 admissions to the Center, plus members, who get admission free; 915 participants in Guinness Book of World Records for the LucyLook-Alike contest; 5000 tickets sold to ALL the events; 1100 tickets sold to Joan Rivers show; 800 tickets sold to Paula Poundstone performance - both at the Reg Lenna Civic Center. These numbers DO NOT count folks who visited and reside in Jamestown who attended the FREE events and other outside activities.

Ms. Gunderson also reported the 60th anniversary of the debut of ("I Love Lucy"), 10/15/51 (2011), details upcoming."

I should, and MUST, add that 'specific' numbers were NEVER available when arrdubya and company were 'charles-in-charge' - even to those of us who were employed, or gave of our time, and ASKED .... enough said.

JKellogg

I'll be adding what appears below to the chronology this date:

The Post Journal: Lucy's 100th Was Great Success - by Lee Harkness, Executive Director of the DJDC - Downtown Chatter - "This last week, we had our monthly business and celebrate Jamestown meeting.

Journey Gunderson is the Executive Director of the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center, giving a report on attendance at Lucy's 100th Birthday Celebration. There were 780 admissions to the Center, plus members, who get admission free; 915 participants in Guinness Book of World Records for the LucyLook-Alike contest; 5000 tickets sold to ALL the events; 1100 tickets sold to Joan Rivers show; 800 tickets sold to Paula Poundstone performance - both at the Reg Lenna Civic Center. These numbers DO NOT count folks who visited and reside in Jamestown who attended the FREE events and other outside activities.

Ms. Gunderson also reported the 60th anniversary of the debut of ("I Love Lucy"), 10/15/51 (2011), details upcoming."

I should, and MUST, add that 'specific' numbers were NEVER available when arrdubya and company were 'charles-in-charge' - even to those of us who were employed, or gave of our time, and ASKED .... enough said.

JKellogg

I read this article in the online Post Journal this morning and with the 60th Anniversary they mentioned street closures. Do you think they're having a parade of some sort?

If so, it's too bad there was little over two weeks notice for it.

I read this article in the online Post Journal this morning and with the 60th Anniversary they mentioned street closures. Do you think they're having a parade of some sort?

If so, it's too bad there was little over two weeks notice for it.

Sorry, Brock, don't know; but, I an only imagine that Third Street would be the only, as USUAL!!!! I'll try to find out....Love, JK

I would definitely love to hear what they have planned ASAP as I might be able to squeeze a trip in if they do something fabulous enough.

And I gotta say, while I was miffed when she first came in, I'm really liking the way Ms. Gunderson is handling everything. Thoughts on what changes I liked in the museum will be posted in my thread in a day or so. So thrilled the 100th birthday celebration went so well!

Archived