"The Best Of Here's Lucy" coming to DVD July 26!

Robert13

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I look forward to the inevitable debate on what MPI actually deems to the "best of" of the series. The last time a best-of HL set came out, the Lounge's top 24 were wildly different than the last set which contained such classics as "Sammy Davis, Jr." and "The Generation Gap". LOL

I just saw this listed on their "coming soon" release schedule. Why are they going this route? Does this mean it's going to be a while 'til we see Season 5 come out? :lucydisgust:

That's wierd. We have already had a "Best Of" before..........doesn't make sense. It could be an error.

I don't see it listed anywhere on their site, Robert. Can you provide a link?

It's on the 2nd page of "Coming Soon" here: http://www.mpihomevideo.com/ComingSoon/?page=2&

They are also doing a best of for The Honeymooners Lost Episodes and The Color Honeymooners. So it seems like they really are releasing it. I just hope it doesn't mean the final 2 seasons are on hold. They were gaining good momentum with these releases. A budget-release seems out of place right now. :lucyshock:

It's on the 2nd page of "Coming Soon" here: http://www.mpihomevideo.com/ComingSoon/?page=2&

They are also doing a best of for The Honeymooners Lost Episodes and The Color Honeymooners. So it seems like they really are releasing it. I just hope it doesn't mean the final 2 seasons are on hold. They were gaining good momentum with these releases. A budget-release seems out of place right now. :lucyshock:

People who dun't wanna spend for the six seasons might want this, they've done it for other series and it's been a while since it came out, so time for a reissue. I agree with Brock though that the content being the BEST OF is debatable.

When I went there , there was no second page to "coming soon". I checked under Lucille Ball, they only had the season by season of "Here's Lucy".

When I went there , there was no second page to "coming soon". I checked under Lucille Ball, they only had the season by season of "Here's Lucy".

Yeah, it's a little weird. You have to click on "Coming Soon" and then on the "Coming Soon" text link. It will bring you to 3 pages of "Upcoming Titles" but it doesn't have an active product page yet so that's why it doesn't come up in a search. If you click my link, it should bring you right to the page where it's listed.

Seems like it will be barebones release of selected s1-s4 episodes. Probably just a few episodes judging by the price. I doubt it means any holdup to the final 2 seasons being released. Also, as there's no date or cover image maybe it is a release planned for AFTER the final 2 seasons have been released

It would be their first "best of" heres lucy though

Maybe they bought it from CBS as it's now available season by season so it's worth has diminished. But still releasable as some fans only want the BEST OF instead of the whole 144. Maybe those people are just allergic to Gorboonas or something.

Maybe the are just rereleasing the last best of set?

The last "Best of" set was released by Shout! Factory, Here's Lucy, Best-Loved Episodes, in 2004. So it wouldn't be a "re-release". Kind of pointless for M.P.I., to put one out also, but it would be a different set.

The last "Best of" set was released by Shout! Factory, Here's Lucy, Best-Loved Episodes, in 2004. So it wouldn't be a "re-release". Kind of pointless for M.P.I., to put one out also, but it would be a different set.

But the original one has to be sold out and now unavailable so there is a need for this one from MPI, i say the more LUCY that's out there, the better it is for all of us fans, it creates new fans and creates a need for even more of her priceless material to come out on dvd.

But the original one has to be sold out and now unavailable so there is a need for this one from MPI, i say the more LUCY that's out there, the better it is for all of us fans, it creates new fans and creates a need for even more of her priceless material to come out on dvd.

By the way, the Shout! Factory release is worth keeping for the Extreme Lucy fans! It has extra material different from M.P.I. releases.:)

By the way, the Shout! Factory release is worth keeping for the Extreme Lucy fans! It has extra material different from M.P.I. releases.:)

Yes, i know, unlike the 117 versions of The Lucy Show public domain episodes that have absolutely nothing but old decrepit copies that are not as good as the ones i taped directly from TV, LOL! Some of them have nice boxes though, LOL!

According to Garret at GAB Entertainment, this will be a barebones release of a select few episodes "created for businesses like Cracker Barrell". He says it will not slow down production on Seasons Five and Six. :)

Thanks Brock! That's a relief. I'm already ready for Season 5! LOL!!

I have to admit I thought that Shout Factory set was fantastic (from the same people who did "The Dick Van Dyke Show" on dvd) and even with the season sets, I still refer to it for a quick Lucy fix!

True, that's what i love about it too. I was complaining to someone about just that yesterday. I wondered why i watched shows on tv with commercials and cuts when i had them on dvd, because it's so much trouble to find the exact ep you're watching on tv, you have to dig through all the sets to find that particular ep you are seeing on tv, it's just not worth the trouble and you end up watching the cut one with commercials. I guess the best thing would be to have just one ep per sleeve on those boxed sets with the description in front, but then they would be costlier and take more room. So the BEST OF 24 has many of the best eps of the series so it's easier to just play those. I didn't know Dick Van Dyke came that way or i would have bought that long ago as the whole series is ridiculously expensive. I also have the BEST OF for Mad About You when they stopped releasing them after season two, then season three came out and i got that, only to watch the BEST OF rather than the other three seasons.

Archived