Lucy and her Genuine Twimby

I love this episode with Bob Cummings! My son (11 years old) and I always say how much we wish Bob Cummings would have joined the cast after this episode. Bob and Lucy seemed to work so well together.

I agree, but it's like i always said, when she liked the star, she was amazing with the chemistry.

I think despite the live audience the Bob Cummings LDCH is the the only good LDCH after eposide 9 Lucy Gets a Career. It is well written; funny; and dates well. Lucy's Summer Vacation is boring and not too funny. I miss the Mertzes. The Milton Berle one is old hat; full of date material a youngester like me doesn't appreciation especially the silly musical number at the end. The last one was sad and not that funny. Ernie's drawings were okay but not great. I do like the last line and edie's That's All though. These shows to me are like the worst Lucy Shows or Here's Lucys.

• 4 years later...

Watching this episode tonight, I wonder if there was any attempt to frame this episode as a backdoor pilot for Bob Cummings and William Lanteau. A scene of that length without any of the show's (by then) three stars was very unusual. And you know, it might have worked.

Watching this episode tonight, I wonder if there was any attempt to frame this episode as a backdoor pilot for Bob Cummings and William Lanteau. A scene of that length without any of the show's (by then) three stars was very unusual. And you know, it might have worked.

I can't tell you on this "family" board how unintentionally funny (and visual ;) ) the words "backdoor" associated with Mr. Lanteau in the same sentence are to me!! Thanks for the giggles! :lucyhorror:

I can't tell you on this "family" board how unintentionally funny (and visual ;) ) the words "backdoor" associated with Mr. Lanteau in the same sentence are to me!! Thanks for the giggles! :lucyhorror:

William Lanteau in On Golden Pond: I think I broke your door!

Joey I have the same dirty mind tonight too.

This episode is probably my favorite of the whole series.  Bob and Lucy had some great chemistry in this one and overall I think it is a fun episode without a bunch of stupid stuff in it.

I also like Bob in Punctured Romance too.  It's odd though because I don't like him in the LDCH episode.  It might just be because that is not a good episode.

William Lanteau in On Golden Pond: I think I broke your door!

:vanda:

This episode is probably my favorite of the whole series.  Bob and Lucy had some great chemistry in this one and overall I think it is a fun episode without a bunch of stupid stuff in it.

I also like Bob in Punctured Romance too.  It's odd though because I don't like him in the LDCH episode.  It might just be because that is not a good episode.

:lucyhorror:

Cummings was an odd choice for guest star in the Japan episode. It wasn't tailor made just for him, they could've stuck any available actor in that part and it wouldn't have made any difference. It's been years since I've seen these Here's Lucy's but I remember liking him there.

Cummings was an odd choice for guest star in the Japan episode. It wasn't tailor made just for him, they could've stuck any available actor in that part and it wouldn't have made any difference. It's been years since I've seen these Here's Lucy's but I remember liking him there.

Well like the Tallulah ep it's entirely possible it was written with someone else in mind and they became unavailable or some such.  So who else could we see in the part?? Who else was an available "bachelor"-type around this time??

I wouldn't have minded seeing Rock Hudson, Tab Hunter or Troy Donahue appear in this one....especially in the bathtub scenes! :lucythrill:

I read a book "Dr. Feelgood" about this old New York doctor who had come up with an energy boosting shot. Supposedly a mixture of vitamins and odd ingredients (sheep stomach lining, or something like that), it was actually METH.  The focus of this book is on Dr. Max's relationship with Pres Kennedy, who suffered from chronic back pain, and had Dr. Max travel with him so he could get a shot when he needed it.  The authors go into this relationship in detail.  Presented in a pretty convincing way, the authors stumbled on to the Dr. Max story while researching a book about Bob Cummings!  Many celebrities filled Dr. Max's waiting room and a few saw their lives spiralling out of control, Eddie Fisher and Bob, to name two.  According to the book, Bob was hopelessly addicted and irrational.  They contend that his drug-induced rants on the set of "My Living Doll" prompted him getting fired or quitting.   By the 70s, Bob had ditched his long-time wife and family, had two (or more) short marriages and despite accumulating vast wealth (he owned a percentage of "Love That Bob"), he ended up pretty much penniless, married to an abusive woman, a fan of his he married though he hardly knew. 

I like his performance in "Punctured Romance", though the mayhem at the end is a bit over the top.  Haven't seen Twimby in a while, but remember it as one of the better HLs.  Despite its flaws, I think "Japan" is good, but you're right (whoever said it), there was really no need for a guest star and that role could have been played by anyone.  The bathtub scenes are pretty risque, especially when Lucy goes searching for the necklace in Bob's bathwater.   Bob looks pretty young for 51.  He always touted health foods and vitamins, even wrote a book "How to Stay Young and Vital", and all the while he was getting his energy from meth. 

These poor people got hooked, very innocently: they thought Dr. Max had a secret formula.   The list of people found in Dr. Max's client list was just about everyone in show biz.  Dr. Max was eventually brought up on charges.

Archived