No kids on Season 4 of TLS on purpose?

Other than a few episodes, the three kids are not seen again starting in Season 4. It crossed my mind that this might have been deliberate not just to take the show in a new direction with guest stars, but also possibly because Lucy was thinking ahead to the next series she hoped to make after getting 6 years of TLS in the can for syndication.

Her own kids had already guested a few times on TLS, & I've heard Lucy mention in interviews both how hard it was for parents to raise kids in the 1960s plus how having her kids on set kept them out of trouble (& under her watchful eyes).

It made me wonder if she was hoping/planning on working with her own kids on a series after TLS while still filming TLS? By eliminating the current TV kids & changing the format completely there would be no confusion when what became Here's Lucy aired. Having that 3 year gap of no kids on TLS before transitioning into Here's Lucy with her own kids pretty much ensured that viewers wouldn't be thinking of Candy & Jimmy when they saw Lucie & Desi Jr.

What do you think? Deliberately planned in advance or serendipity? :lucy2:

Well Chris Carmichael and Sherman Bagley are never seen again (or mentioned) after season 3. And isn't this the last season for Jerry Carmichael (is it just 2 episodes he appears in ?)

Jerry's name is mentioned in either 5th or 6th season from a letter she receives from him. The funny thing is Lucy calls her son Jimmy not Jerry. There was some sort of mixed up with the name of the actor and the character.

It would have been nice to have the characters show up for certain episodes like when Viv visits Lucy. They could have had a family reunion episode.

It fact that could have happened in the final season when Lucy broke her leg and Viv came to take of her. They did a retrospective of their funniest moments in the first season of the show. They could have had a two part episode with the children recalling funny moments with their mother.

Jerry's name is mentioned in either 5th or 6th season from a letter she receives from him. The funny thing is Lucy calls her son Jimmy not Jerry. There was some sort of mixed up with the name of the actor and the character.

It would have been nice to have the characters show up for certain episodes like when Viv visits Lucy. They could have had a family reunion episode.

It fact that could have happened in the final season when Lucy broke her leg and Viv came to take of her. They did a retrospective of their funniest moments in the first season of the show. They could have had a two part episode with the children recalling funny moments with their mother.

Why? They were doing FUNNY moments, not heartwarming family style hugging ones. This is a tv comedy show and the end result was COMEDY, so they put the show in a new direction as they ran out of funny ideas in the FAMILY format and wanted to explore different things, Lucy did after all, FAMILY type moments with kids in all three series. Should she have had all her kids on Life with Lucy with the new ones, little Ricky, the three from the Lucy show, her own kids from Here's Lucy and then her daughter on Life with Lucy, maybe even bring in that Italian kid from the ILL Italy episode? "Imma her kid too!"

Well Chris Carmichael and Sherman Bagley are never seen again (or mentioned) after season 3. And isn't this the last season for Jerry Carmichael (is it just 2 episodes he appears in ?)

I think I remember hearing in one of the later seasons Lucy telling someone "I have kids but they are away at school". Not sure what season or episode it was though.

Why? They were doing FUNNY moments, not heartwarming family style hugging ones. This is a tv comedy show and the end result was COMEDY, so they put the show in a new direction as they ran out of funny ideas in the FAMILY format and wanted to explore different things, Lucy did after all, FAMILY type moments with kids in all three series. Should she have had all her kids on Life with Lucy with the new ones, little Ricky, the three from the Lucy show, her own kids from Here's Lucy and then her daughter on Life with Lucy, maybe even bring in that Italian kid from the ILL Italy episode? "Imma her kid too!"

I wanted the "family reunion episodes" to be about the comedy moments not the sentimental ones. It would be like the ones that Viv and Lucy remininced about in that episode in the last season of "The Lucy Show", most of those were from the first season as I recalled. Although, I do remember one from the first part of the third season. I can think of a few times that the children witnessed their mother in a comedy situation, like the time when Lucy and Viv drove through the living room with the car, or even the time that Lucy and Viv dressed up like teenagers to fit in with Chris's friends and sang "Big Girls Don't Cry". How about the time that Lucy dressed up in a military uniform to visit Jerry at military school? Except for some sentimental moments during the Christmas/New Year episodes, most of the episodes were about comedy situations with Lucy. Lucy Carmichael was the main focus of the show during the whole duration of "The Lucy Show" from start to finish.

I personally think have the kids in the show or don't have them in the show - that's one reason that I disliked Season 3 - it was all over the place. Personally I was never a fan of Candy Moore - she was too sickly sweet for me! I prefer them not being in the show - MIND YOU, I do wish we could see Ralph a couple more times :lucythrill:

I wanted the "family reunion episodes" to be about the comedy moments not the sentimental ones. It would be like the ones that Viv and Lucy remininced about in that episode in the last season of "The Lucy Show", most of those were from the first season as I recalled. Although, I do remember one from the first part of the third season. I can think of a few times that the children witnessed their mother in a comedy situation, like the time when Lucy and Viv drove through the living room with the car, or even the time that Lucy and Viv dressed up like teenagers to fit in with Chris's friends and sang "Big Girls Don't Cry". How about the time that Lucy dressed up in a military uniform to visit Jerry at military school? Except for some sentimental moments during the Christmas/New Year episodes, most of the episodes were about comedy situations with Lucy. Lucy Carmichael was the main focus of the show during the whole duration of "The Lucy Show" from start to finish.

Oh ok, you're right, forgot about those, aside from Jerry's constant ONE LINERS i don't associate their tenure on the show as anything outstanding comedy wise but you're right, you just listed some. I usually think of those as great Lucy moments of course, but they DID involve the kids.

I personally think have the kids in the show or don't have them in the show - that's one reason that I disliked Season 3 - it was all over the place. Personally I was never a fan of Candy Moore - she was too sickly sweet for me! I prefer them not being in the show - MIND YOU, I do wish we could see Ralph a couple more times :lucythrill:

Who knows what the hell he looks like N O W though! LOL! Candy was very attractive and quite dignified and lovely, i'm sure that's what Lucy was looking for at that time, i'm surprised she allowed her to be that young and great looking. :lucyhorror:

Who knows what the hell he looks like N O W though! LOL! Candy was very attractive and quite dignified and lovely, i'm sure that's what Lucy was looking for at that time, i'm surprised she allowed her to be that young and great looking. :lucyhorror:

I think it was more her voice that irritated me and the fact that she always seemed so happy. True, just because you might be a good looking kid doesn't mean you'll be a good looking grown up! LOL!

I think it was more her voice that irritated me and the fact that she always seemed so happy. True, just because you might be a good looking kid doesn't mean you'll be a good looking grown up! LOL!

True, Jonathan Lipnicki did okay and Jerry O'connell looks better as an adult but i can think of a dozen who just got fat and bald like most people do. Back to Candy, yes she was told to scream her lines so we can't blame her for that but i think she depecits the average older teen of that time period perfectly, that's the way i remember them anyway and yes, she sure defined PERKY but that's how her character was written. She never irritated me the way Fran Drescher did or the beautiful gorgeous but grating Sofia whatever on Modern Family, i have to shut off the sound when she speaks for any length of time.

• 4 months later...

I'm sure Candy would've played it differently had she had the choice. She was very unhappy with the part, considering her to be too bland a character (she was right).

Archived