Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Chronology - Week 3 - May

leenorman

May 16

Julius (Julian) Tannen, Lucille Ball’s Jamestown NY early-childhood hero, co-star RKO Radio’s, The Big Street, 1942, is born in NYC, this date in 1880.

Henry Fonda, many-year friend and Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, 1935, 1942; co-star, Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), The Deputy, 1959; appears with Lucille, Toast of the Town, 1961; United Jewish Welfare Fund’s, All About People, 1967; United Artists’, Yours, Mine & Ours, 1968; with Lucille, General Electric's All-Star Anniversary, 1978; as well as with Lucille, via archival footage, The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, 1992, is born this date in 1905.

Liberace, Piano musician, uncredited role, Lucille Ball film, 1943; guest pianist, Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of Stars, 2 episodes, 1951; appears with Lucille and Desi Arnaz, A Star Is Born World Premiere, 1954; guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, 1957; guest Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Red Skelton Show, 1958; Lucille guest co-star, (“Here’s Lucy”), 1970; appears with Lucille and Desi, Hollywood Out-takes and Rare Footage, 1983; appears with Lucille, The American Experience: Las Vegas: An Unconventional History: Part I, 1988; with Lucille, both via archival footage, The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, 1992; as well as with Desi, both via archival footage, The Nightclub Years, 2001, is born this date in 1919.

Yvonne Craig, co-star Desilu Studios'-filmed, Man With a Camera, The Barbara Stanwyck Show, 1960; as well as guest. Desilu Productions', Vacation Playhouse, 1963, is born this date in 1937.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra record the background music for CBS’ (“I Love Lucy”), episode #37, filmed this date in 1952.

Trade papers report: “William Asher has been inked to direct (“I Love Lucy”) when Marc Daniels bows out of series following next week’s show. Asher will probably direct the remainder of the season . . . Eddie Sedgwick, who recently joined Desilu, is assisting Desi Arnaz and acting as production co-ordinator for Desilu,” published this date in 1952.

William Frawley (Lucy’s Fred Mertz) stars, as Sam, NBC's, 30-minute, The Loretta Young Show, “Dear Madge,” also starring Gerald Mohr, this date in 1954.

(“I Love Lucy”) “Ricky Needs an Agent”, co-starring veteran supporting cast member, Parley Baer, - twelve appearances (all Lucy shows) as well as Helen Kleeb - episode mirroring Ricky’s memory of Desi’s contract with MGM in the 1940’s, airing this date in 1955.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY: Lucy Dates Musical Composer – “Lucille Ball, who recently divorced Desi Arnaz, attends the annual SHARE charity party in Hollywood with musical composer Jimmy Van Huesen. The organization is composed of wives of film personalities. The party, with a boom town theme this year, raises money for mentally-retarded children,” published this date in 1960.

Lucille Ball, Andy Griffith and Danny Thomas, appear on the Chicago Tribune TV Week cover this week in 1964.

Saturday Review, Goodman Ace: “Top of My Head: That Same Wax of Ball Again,” published this date in 1964.

The Albuquerque Tribune: “Lucille Ball speaks of Laugh-In series drop in ratings, after three years on top, and three of its stars having been guests on her various series,” published this date in 1970.

Sid Hickox, b. 7/15; Director of Photography, Cinematographer, with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) 1942; guest, Desilu Productions', Our Miss Brooks, 1955; Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, 1955; Cinematographer/Director of Photography, 14 episodes (“I Love Lucy”), 1956-1957; guest, Desilu Productions', December Bride, 5 episodes, 1956-57, The Texan, 1958; Cinematogrpher, The Fountain of Youth, 1958; The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, 12 episodes, 1957-1960; with the Arnazes, Sunday Showcase “The Milton Berle Special”, 1959; Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Red Skelton Show, 1959; Director of Photography, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1960; Cinematographer, The Andy Griffith Show, 13 episodes, 1960-1962; guest, Desilu Productions', I Spy, 1965; dies this date in 1982.

Christian Science Monitor: “Lucille Ball speaks about her marriage to Gary Morton,” published this date in 1984.

Lucille Ball makes her last variety show appearance, performing a song written for the occasion by James Lipton and Cy Coleman, “Comedy is a Serious Business”, suffering from exhaustion, and a slight stroke, (taped just five days before her major stroke), on NBC’s Happy Birthday, Bob (Hope’s 85th birthday and his 50th Anniversary with NBC), with an impressive guest cast, airing this date in 1988.

Sammy Davis, Jr., b. 12/8; guest, Desilu Productions', The Walter Winchell Show, 1956; Lucille Ball’s friend and guest co-star, 1970; with Lucille, 1974, 1976, 1978; 1980; with Lucille and Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; with Lucille, All-Star Party for Carol Burnett, 1982, with Lucille, All-Star Party for Lucille Ball, 1984; archivally, with Lucille, 1985; 1986; 1987; with Lucille, The Kennedy Center Honors: A Celebration of the Performing Arts, Sammy, as Honoree, 1987; with Lucille, The 61st Annual Academy Awards, 1989; with Lucille, via archival footage, The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, 1992; as well as with Lucille, both via archival footage, The Carol Burnett Show: A Reunion, 1993, dies this date in 1990.

lucyfan.com - Henna Hooper's Hollywood - News from the Wonderful World of Lucy - New (“I Love Lucy”) Movie announced by CBS: “CBS Television Network announced yesterday (May 15) it has a new made-for-television motion picture in development, an inside account of the tumultuous relationship of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, as well as a behind-the-scenes look at the creation of (“I Love Lucy”). No casting selections have been announced”, posted this date in 2002.

Business First of Buffalo – by James Fink – Business First – Loving Lucy – Can Jamestown Cash In On Lucy Like Memphis Has? – “Lucy loved Jamestown. Now Jamestown wants to show Lucy a little more love. Chautauqua County's largest city is home to three buildings dedicated to the legacy of Lucille Ball and her husband, Desi Arnaz. Ball was born in nearby Celoron and always considered Jamestown her hometown,” published this date in 2008.

National Public Radio Special Tribute to Desi Arnaz: “When (“I Love Lucy”) appeared in 1951, mainstream America knew very little about Latino culture. Ricky Ricardo changed all that: His heavily-accented English, and his rapid-fire Spanish, were as new to some parts of the country as TV itself. Then there was the music. Ricky Ricardo may have been a fictional character; but, he played very real music. I've been playing congas for 35 years, and I can't tell you the number of times people have come up to my drums, unable to resist trying out a drumroll and crooning the opening phrase of Ricky's signature: "Babalu." Of course, like everything else about him, Ricky Ricardo's version of "Babalu" was a mix of fact and fiction”, announced this date in 2008.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Information Center – In Years Past – 50 Years Ago - “Harry Illions, owner of Celoron Park (now Lucille Ball Memorial Park) arrived in Jamestown from southern California announcing he had sold his interests there and would spend his full time in Celoron, in the future. Almost upon his arrival by motorcar, three freight cars loaded with new amusement park rides and devices arrived via Erie Railroad. The Memorial Day opening of the Park is expected to be one of the most auspicious in years,” published this date in 2009.

May 17

Maureen O'Sullivan, stars, Desilu-Productions', Cavalcade of America, 1956; co-stars with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), 1976; as well as appears with Lucille Ball, Happy 100th Birthday, Hollywood, 1987, is born this date in 1911.

Warner Erickson, by his 'guardian' Einar Erickson, sued Fred Hunt (Lucille Ball's maternal grandfather, her 'daddy') for the property now known as Lucy Lane (8th Street, Celoron NY), the site of a shooting that year, on this date in 1928.

Dennis Hopper, guest star, Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, 1954; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Lineup, 1959, The Betty Hutton Show, The Barbara Stanwyck Show, 1960, The Greatest Show on Earth, 1963; guest, The Guns of Will Sonnett, 1967; as well as stars with, Desi Arnaz, IV, music performer, film, 2009, is born this date in 1936.

LA Examiner, Louella O. Parsons: “One of the best musicals I saw in NY was Too Many Girls which, surprisingly enough, has a real honest-to-goodness plot. RKO, for the movie version, is lining up a cast of pretty girls, including Lucille Ball in the top spot,” published this date in 1940.

Lucille Ball appears on NBC Radio’s The Bob Hope Show, this date in 1949.

(“I Love Lucy”) “The Golf Game” - the girls take golf lessons from Ricky and Fred, with ridiculous rules; Jimmy Demaret guest co-stars, with supporting cast, George Pierrone, airing this date in 1954.

Desilu Studios'-filmed, ABC My Three Sons, “Chug and Robbie”, William Frawley (Lucy’s Fred Mertz), as Michael Francis 'Bub' O'Casey; co-stars with Fred MacMurray, as Steve Douglas, Tim Considine, as Mike Douglas; Don Grady, as Robbie Douglas, Peter Brooks, as Hank Ferguson; Stanley Livingston, as Chip Douglas;and Ryan O'Neal, as Chug Williams; with James A. Paisley, Production Manager/Supervisor, 36 episodes, 1960-61, airs this date in 1962.

Lawrence Welk, b. 3/11; Lucille Ball friend; guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, 1957; appears with Lucille, and others, Jack Benny’s Birthday Special, 1969; Lucille, guest, with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), Lucie and Desi Arnaz, IV, (“Here’s Lucy”), 1970, dies this date in 1992.

Jamestown NY Quality Markets is promoting LucyFest May 17-24, by providing brown paper grocery bags to its customers, with proper advertising insignia, in 1992.

Tony Randall, b. 2/26; Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse 1959, guest, Desilu Productions', Here’s Hollywood, 1961; and (“Here’s Lucy”) 1971, with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; as well as with Lucille, NBC’s Happy Birthday, Bob, 1988; dies this date in 2004.

Lucille Ball’s tombstone was set on the Hunt/Ball Plot, Jamestown, NY’s, Lakeview Cemetery, this date in 2004.

EverythingLucy.blogspot announces “Old-Time Radio Presents Podcast featuring Lucille Ball in a radio episode of The Martin and Lewis Show, on which she appeared in 1949, posted this date in 2007.

EverythingLucy.blogspot announces (“I Love Lucy”) Tops on Greatest TV Shows – Hall of Fame Magazine: “We say in the television business, that "funny is money," and nothing has endured longer than (“I Love Lucy”), posted this date in 2007.

May 18

Patrick Dennis, author of Auntie Mame, reportedly a character based on his real-life aunt, a good-natured eccentric; Lucille Ball starred as Mame, 1974, is born this date in 1921.

Grauman’s Chinese Theatre opened this date in 1927.

Pernell Roberts, of Bonanza and Trapper John, M.D., fame; guest star, Desilu Productions', Whirlybirds, 1958; Mission: Impossible, 1967, 1968; appears with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; with Lucille Ball and Lucie, Night of 100 Stars II, 1985; as well as with Lucie Arnaz, Circus of the Stars #10, 1985; is born this date in 1928.

Dwayne Hickman, of Dobie Gillis fame, appears with Lucille Ball, 1947; guest star Desilu Productions', The Greatest Show on Earth, 1964, Vacation Playhouse, 1964, 1967; as well as with Lucille, via archival footage, You Know the Face, 2009, is born this date in 1934.

Lucille Ball appears in Paramount Pictures’, Murder at the Vanities, released this date in 1934.

Hollywood Screen Life: Lucille Ball – “I started with two good points: eyes and acceptable hairline; otherwise, people taught me or I thought it up myself; take my word for it, a girl’s best friend is her mirror,” published in 1938.

Lucille Ball appears CBS Radio, Anthology Series, Academy Award Theater, 30-minute, hosted by Dan Dowd, on this date in 1948.

(“I Love Lucy”) “Ricardos Change Apartments” - Lucy decides their apartment is too small and tries to work a trade, with Norma Varden, Roy Rowan, joining the cast as announcer, replacing Jerry Hausner with this episode, which airs this date in 1953.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) stars in Robert Altman-written and directed, The Dirty Look, a comedy-short 'training film' produced by Gulf Oil, regarding the importance of cleanliness of service stations and business practices, in 1954.

Desilu Productions', Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Texan, “South of the Border” - Desi Arnaz, Executive Producer; Rory Calhoun, Producer; starring Rory Calhoun, as Bill Longley; Jack Elam, as Luke Watson; and John Doucette, as Sheriff Ben Carter; among others; W. Argyle Nelson, long-time associate of the Arnazes, as Production Supervisor, 31 episodes, 1958-1960, James Paisley, Production Manager, 23 episodes, 1958-59; Bill Heath, Editorial Supervisor, Original Music, E. C. Norton, and Robert Reeve, Re-recording Editor, airs this date in 1959.

Vogue, “$54,000,000 Bonanza – Lucille Ball,” published in 1968.

TV Guide: Darling! A surprised Lucille Ball greets an old friend 3000 miles from home....and then they go to work. While in Philadelphia, taping Lucille's guest appearance on The Mike Douglas Show - Two-page article, reviewing Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) surprise visit to Lucille Ball,”, published this week through the 24th, in 1968.

Arthur O'Connell, b. 3/29; guest star, Desilu Productions', The Greatest Show on Earth, 1964, as well as with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), The Great Race, 1965, dies this date in 1981.

Lucille Ball hosts ABC’s, The Best of Three’s Company, Parts 1 and 2, with clips, as she is enamoured with Ritter’s comedy work, airing this date in 1982.

John Bubbles, b. 2/19; Lucille Ball guest co-star, The Lucy Show 1967, dies this date in 1986.

Lucille Ball appears on ABC’s Happy Birthday Hollywood, a charity event benefitting the Motion Picture and TV Country House and Hospital, airing this date in 1987.

Ladies Home Journal, Warren G. Harris: “When Love Was New (excerpt from Lucy and Desi),” published in 1992.

Marshall Thompson, b. 11.27; co-star, Private Secretary, as Susie McNamara, “American Sweethearts” 1955 [precursor to Desilu Productions’, The Ann Sothern Show] and co-star, Angel, 1960, dies this date in 1992.

Desi Arnaz, IV, appears, via archival footage, in Anchor Bay Entertainment's, Best of Schiller's Reel, written by Peter Schiller; co-starring Peter Ackroyd, John Belushi, Kevin Nealon, Gilda Radner, all via archival footage, airing this date in 1994.

Elizabeth Montgomery, b. 4/15; of Bewitched fame; guest co-star Desilu Productions’, The Untouchables, 1960; as well as Here’s Hollywood, 1961, dies this date in 1995.

Sun-Times (Chicago): “Hazelwood Screened and Other Stories,” published this date in 1995.

Al Simon, b. 11/11; served as (“I Love Lucy”) Production Manager, 33 episodes, 1951-1952, instrumental in bringing Academy Award-winning cinematographer genius, Karl Freund, on board, who kept in constant contact with director and camera coordinator via Al’s two-way intercom system, which Al developed in 1951, dies this date in 2000.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - Region Section – Hands On Clean Up – P-J photos by Patrick L. Fanelli – “Kassie Kum, a fifth-grade pupil at Jefferson Middle School, poses as “Little Lucy” with Tiffany Reynolds, Downtown Jamestown Development Corporation (DJDC) Special Projects Manager, to promote the Hands-on-Jamestown-event that will kick off 8 a.m. at Tracy Plaza tomorrow morning”, published this date in 2007.

Joseph Pevney, b. 9/15; director, Desilu Productions', Mission: Impossible, 1 episode, 1967, and Star Trek, 14 episodes, 1967-68, director, Lucie Arnaz' TV movie, 1975, dies this date in 2008.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Past Week Brings Great Stuff to City of Jamestown – by Lee Harkness, Downtown Jamestown Development Corporation Executive Director, and Director, Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center in Jamestown NY – “…next week, the Lucy-Desi Celebration, with Lucie Arnaz, on Saturday evening, proves to be entertaining. Plans are to produce two great events this year and some real surprises for the upcoming year. Let’s all support this great asset Jamestown has to offer – we have a world-class facility in the Lucy-Desi Center,” published this date in 2009.

May 19

Milton Parsons, co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1941, 1942, 1946, 1947; as well as cast member, (“I Love Lucy”), 1952, is born this date in 1904.

Bruce Bilson, writer, director; Assistant Director, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, 1955; Assistant Director, 9 episodes, Desilu Productions', Whirlybirds, 1957-58; Writer, “Incident in Del Rio”, 1957; Assistant Director, U.S. Marshal, 3 episodes, 1958-59; Assistant Director, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Andy Griffith Show, 56 episodes, 1960-62; as well as Director, Life With Lucy, “Mother of the Bride”, and “World's Greatest Grandma”, 1986, is born this date in 1928.

Barbara Whiting, friend of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, one-half the sister singing team, Those Whiting Girls, a Desilu Productions' series, two seasons 1955 and 1957, never made it to a fall series, served as summer replacement for (“I Love Lucy”) in 1957, is born this date in 1931.

Marie Wallace, Broadway, television and film actress, starred opposite Robert Preston, in Nobody Loves An Albatross, Lyceum Theatre, NY, 1963, written by Ron Alexander, a former Desilu employee, a character loosely-based on Lucille Ball, is born this date in 1939.

LA Examiner, Louella O. Parsons: “Wonder if its true that Lucille Ball has a date with the stork?” published this date in 1944.

Hollywood Citizen News, Sidney Skolsky: “Lucille Ball wants to do Rain and play the role of Sadie Thompson in summer stock in Connecticut,” published this date in 1947.

Lucille Ball appears with co-star, William Holden, on NBC Radio’s Screen Directors’ Playhouse: Miss Grant Takes Richmond, this date in 1950.

An estimated 11,055,000 American families were inviting the Ricardos and Mertzes into their living rooms every Monday night, an excellent audience since there were only 15,000,000 TV sets in operation that year, in 1952.

(“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy Gets Ricky on the Radio [A.K.A. ‘Mr. and Mrs. Quiz]” veteran supporting cast member, Frank Nelson’s second appearance as Freddie Fillmore, during which Lucy circled her and Ricky’s anniversary on the calendar, with Bobby Ellis, and announcer, Roy Rowan airing this date in 1952.

Ronald Coleman, b. 2/9; Lucille Ball early-film career co-star, 1934; appears with Lucille, via archival footage, 1994; dies this date in 1958.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY: Hollywood (AP) – Lucille Ball Visits College As Lecturer – “The eminent scholar, Lucille Ball Morton, paid a visit to the University of California at Los Angeles to act as guest lecturer and present the 10th Annual Samuel Goldwyn Creative Writing Award. Addressing the young hopefuls, she spoke without notes, from the heart, telling them to ‘remember to recognize the small successes you will have; don’t be blinded by the big goal by what happens on the way toward the goal – meet one wave at a time; enjoy what progress you make; don’t be taken up in the undertow of pessimism; never lose your interest in people,’” published this date in 1964.

Lucille Ball, Carol Burnett and Frank Sinatra perform “I Remember It Well” at the 20th Annual Emmy Awards - Lucille Ball wins an Emmy for Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Comedy Series (the second consecutive year) the last Emmy she will win for her single role which airs this date in 1968.

CBS’ The Lucy Show - While each of Lucille Ball’s series has always gone on summer hiatus, selected re-runs of the show are aired in prime time instead of a summer replacement series, commencing March 24. The remaining weeks are re-runs for the first time in color from the series’ last three seasons (1965-68) on this date in 1969.

Lucille Ball is one of ten Mistresses of Ceremony at the Hollywood Palladium, on CBS’ The 27th Annual (1974) Prime-Time Emmy Awards, this date in 1975.

Lucille Ball receives the Lifetime Achievement Award for Comedy from American Comedy Awards USA, this date in 1987.

Henry Morgan, b. 3/31; guest, Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, 1954; panelist of (“I've Got A Secret”), 1952-1976, 216 episodes, as well as panelist, 1972, 1976; (“What's My Line?”), 1956-1967, 8 episodes, as well as 4 episodes, 1971-72, fame, on which Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz have appeared at one time, or another; dies this date in 1994.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appear, via archive footage, in SOFA Entertainment’s, Ed Sullivan All-Star Comedy Special, Ed, himself, via archive footage, Mary Tyler Moore hosting and broadcast this date in 1995.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Information Center – In Years Past – ‘100 Years Ago’ – “The lease of the grounds of the Celoron Amusement Company [now the Lucille Ball Memorial Park] expired this year, 1907; but, it is understood A. N. Broadhead, President of the Celoron Amusement Company has secured a new lease for 20 years and would at once commence extensive improvements of the park”, published this date in 2007.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Saturday – Critical Eye – Have a Ball – Two weekends a year, Jamestown honors its famous native – by Robert W. Plyler: “Each year, our City sets aside two weekends to honor one of our most famous natives: the late Lucille Ball [and Desi Arnaz]. In addition to Headliner, Lucie Arnaz, star of stage and screen, the couple’s daughter, Lucille’s ‘sister’/cousin, Cleo Smith, will share memories of Lucille and their childhood; and Vivian [Lucy’s Ethel Mertz] Vance’s sister, Lou Ann Graham, will share memories of her sister; as well as Lucy and Ethel impersonators appearing several times during the Festival. Other surprises are also in store for fans from around the world and the country”, published this date in 2007.

May 20

John Emery, cast member, (“I Love Lucy”), 1951; appears in the Arnazes film, Forever Darling, 1956; as well as (“I Love Lucy”), 1957, guest, Desilu Productions', The Ann Sothern Show, 1960, 1961; is born this date in 1905.

Jimmy Stewart, long-time friend and neighbor of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, appears with Desi, Screen Snapshots: Memories in Uniform, 1954; with Lucille, Dean Martin Celebrity Roast: J. Stewart, Roastee, and General Electric's All-Star Anniversary, 1978; appears with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; guest co-star, All-Star Party for Lucille Ball, 1984, archivally, with Lucille, That's Dancing, 1985; with Lucille, NBC’s Happy Birthday, Bob (Hope’s 85th birthday and his 50th Anniversary with NBC), 1988; with Lucille, via archival footage, Entertaining the Troops, 1994; with Desi and Lucille, via archival footage, Off the Menu: The Last Days of Chasen's, 1997, is born this date in 1908.

Jerry Hausner, veteran supporting cast member, 14 episodes, (“I Love Lucy”: The Very First Show) (pilot); 1951; 1952; 1954; guest, Desilu Productions', Our Miss Brooks, 1955; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Dick Van Dyke Show, 5 episodes, 1962-63; guest star, Desi Arnaz Productions', The Mothers-In-Law, 1968; as well as Lucille's guest, (“Here's Lucy”), 1973; is born this date in 1909.

George Gobel, Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz) co-star, Love-American Style segment, 1969, and star, short-lived TV series, Sam, 1978, is born this date in 1919.

William Frawley (Lucy’s Fred Mertz) in 20th Century on Broadway opened amidst high critical acclaim in December of 1932 - due to “labor disagreements, among others,” the show closed for several days in March 1933 - reopening on 3/25/33 - closed after 152 performances - severely affected by the Depression, this date in 1933.

Cher, of Sonny and Cher fame, daughter of Georgia Holt, (“I Love Lucy”); paid tribute to within The Lucy Show, “The Carters Meet Frankie Avalon”, Kim (Lucie Arnaz), is Cher, for amateur contest - Frankie Avalon, is Sonny, 1973; appears with Lucille Ball, Cher and Other Fantasies, 1979; appears with Lucie, The 36th Annual Tony Awards and Night of 100 Stars, 1982; with Lucille, via archival footage, The Carol Burnett Show: A Reunion, 1993; as well as appears with Lucille, via archival footage, I Love Lucy's 50th Anniversary Special, documentary, 2001, is born this date in 1946.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY: Lucille Ball to Visit City – Will Be Little Theater Boatride Guest . . . “Backstage Club of Little Theater expected to soar . . . L. Pauline Lopus, long-time Lucille Ball friend and Celoron Chairman of the Club has been officially informed of Lucille’s visit on June 13, arriving at the Jamestown Airport . . .” published this date in 1946.

Hollywood Citizen News, Lloyd L. Sloan: “If all farmers’ daughters were as beautiful as Lucille Ball, we’d be willing to bet there would never be any large cities. We found this out by visiting Lucille at her Chatsworth farm home; she has oranges and lots of other things – found her looking after the oranges which survived a winter by use of ‘smudge pots’ (we couldn’t go on); back to discussion of movies, etc. ‘Busy?’ she replied to one of the questions: ‘I don’t know. I just do three or four movies a year; a weekly radio program, oversee the house and grounds, and 10 or 12 weeks of summer stock’, so we learned one of those astounding facts columnists occasionally come up with – Lucille Ball is very beautiful; leads a very busy life; is very smart; and very few beautiful girls can make that statement,” published this date in 1949.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear My Favorite Husband “Getting Old,” episode #45, produced and directed by Jess Oppenheimer; written by Jess Oppenheimer, Madelyn Pugh & Bob Carroll, Jr., featuring Ruth Perrott, as Katy the Maid, Gale Gordon and Bea Benaderet, as Mr. and Mrs. Atterbury; original music by Marlin Skiles; conducted by Wilbur Hatch; announcer, Bob LeMond, sponsored by General Foods, JELL-O; with veteran supporting cast member, Gerald Mohr, airing this date in 1949.

Fred Sherman, b. 5/14; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1942; supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucy”), 1954; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, 1955; guest, Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, 1956, The Lineup, 1956, 1957, and The Californians, 1957; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Adventures of Jim Bowie, 1957, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, 2 episodes, 1958; appears with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, Sunday Showcase “The Milton Berle Special”, 1959; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Dick Van Dyke Show, 1961; as well as co-star, Frawley, My Three Sons, 1961. dies this date in 1969.

Gilda Radner, b. 6/28; appears with Desi Arnaz, The Hollywood Squares, 1972; Lucille Ball mimic and star, Saturday Night Live, 1976, dies this date in 1989.

(“I Love Lucy”) is honored - CBS: The First 50 Years - movie connections featuring (“I Love Lucy”) on this date in 1998.

Ernest Sarracino, b. 2/12; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Adventures of Jim Bowie, 1957; Desilu Productions', The Ann Sothern Show, 1958, The Untouchables, 1959, New Comedy Showcase, 1960; Desilu Studios'-filmed, Hogan's Heroes, 1966; as well as Lucille Ball guest co-star, (“Here's Lucy”), 1974, dies this date in 1998.

Lucille Ball and Gary Morton, just prior to her death had agreed; and arrangements had been made; invitiations had gone out, were due in Jamestown, to be honored at a reception at the Chautauqua Public Inn, the former “Starlight Inn”, after arriving at Chautauqua County Airport to attend the first Lucyfest in her hometown, and to receive an Honorary Doctor of Fine Arts Degree from Jamestown Community College of the State University of New York, which Lucie Arnaz, accepted on her mother’s behalf, this date in 1989.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY reports: “Foundation Awards ‘Ticket to Jamestown’ With Funding”: “The Chautauqua Region Community Foundation has recently awarded the ‘Ticket to Jamestown’ Project [a collaborative project between several local agencies] with funding for the initial printing costs of tickets and posters, published this date in 2005.

The Plain Dealer - by Sarah Crump, Jamestown Welcomes Lucille Ball Fans – “Jamestown, NY, welcomes all who love Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. Are you an adoring fan of (“I Love Lucy”) 57 years after the show's premiere? You can't pay better homage to Lucille Ball than to journey to her hometown, Jamestown, N.Y., Friday through Sunday, May 25, for an annual festival in her honor,” published this date in 2008.

May 21

Ralph Sanford, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, 1940; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1947, 1951, 1952; cast member (“I Love Lucy”), 1956; guest, Desilu Productions', The Californians, 1958; Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, 1955, 1959, The Betty Hutton Show, 1960; and Desilu Productions’-Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Comedy Spot, 1962, is born this date in 1899.

Bill Williams, guest co-star, Desilu Productions’, Yancy Derringer, 1958; The Scarface Mob, 1959; Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, The Untouchables Parts 1 & 2, 1959; as well as Here’s Hollywood, 1960; is born this date in 1915.

Dennis Day, a regular on the Jack Benny Show; guest Desilu Productions' Shower of Stars, 1958; Lucille Ball guest co-star, The Lucy Show, 1967; appears with Lucille Jack Benny's Birthday Special 1969; as well as with Lucille Jack Benny's Twentieth Anniversary Special 1970, is born this date in 1916.

Raymond Burr, of Perry Mason and Ironside television fame, Lucille Ball co-star, 1951; with Desi Arnaz, guest star, Ironside. 1974; as well as with Lucille, NBC: The Big Event: TV Guide, The First 25 Years, 1979, is born this date in 1917.

Lucille Ball appears in RKO Radio film, There Goes My Girl, with Chuck Hamilton, character actor/stuntman, among others, released this date in 1937.

Lucille Ball appears in RKO Radio film, You Can’t Fool Your Wife, released this date in 1940.

Film Daily, You Can’t Fool Your Wife, RKO-Radio (Hollywood Preview): “Hokey comedy, without much rhyme or reason, provides pleasant entertainment; Lucille Ball plays a double role - as a dowdy housewife impersonating an Argentine adventuress, and does it well,” published this date in 1940.

Hollywood Citizen News, Florabel Muir Reveals: “Henry Rogers, eyes on his clients, phones from New York that Lana Turner and Howard Hughes were at the Copacabana seven nights in a row to hear Desi Arnaz,” published this date in 1946.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear, My Favorite Husband “Mrs. Cooper Thinks Liz Is Pregnant,” episode #89, airs this date in 1950.

Pat O’Malley, b. 9/3; Lucille Ball early-film career co-star, 1935; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1939; Lucille co-star, 1950; Desilu Productions’, The Californians, 1959; Whirlybirds, 1959; The Untouchables, 1960; Harrigan and Son, 1961; The Greatest Show on Earth, 1964, as well as (“Here’s Lucy”), 1973, dies this date in 1966.

Lucille Ball appears on The Tonight Show, with Johnny Carson, also appearing, Debbie Reynolds, airing this date in 1971.

Lucie Arnaz appears with Mel Torme, on ABC's The $10,000 Pyramid, Dick Clark, Host, airing this date in 1973.

Vaughn Monroe, b. 10/7; Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, 1944, dies this date in 1973.

Audrey Betz, b. unknown date; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1947; supportng cast member (“I Love Lucy”), 1955; as well as co-star, Arnazes, Forever Darling, 1956; dies this date in 1974.

Alejandro Rey, b. 2/8; guest star, Desilu Productions', The Greatest Show on Earth, 1964, as well as Desilu Studios'-filmed, Slattery's People, unknown episodes, 1965, dies this date in 1987.

Night of 100 Stars, III, Radio City Music Hall, benefit the Actors' Fund, a cast of many stars - during which Lucille Ball, archivally, receives a lovely tribute, airs this date in 1990.

Howard Morris, b. 9/4; Lucille Ball guest, (The Lucy Show) 1965, dies this date in 2005.

Bud Molin, b. 5/26; Film Editor, Desilu Productions', Official Detective, (unknown year), Editor, 105 episodes, (“I Love Lucy”), 33 episodes, 1952-53, Our Miss Brooks, Willy, 1954; Editor: Arnazes film, Forever Darling, 1956; Whirlybirds, 1957, 1958, 1959; The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, 11 episodes, 1957-59, Angel, 5 episodes, 1960-61; The Dick Van Dyke Show, 13 episodes, 1961, Desilu Studios'-filmed, I Spy, 1965; as well as The Guns of Will Sonnett, 1967, dies this date in 2007.

EverythingLucy.blogspot announces “Old-Time Radio Presents Podcast featuring Lucille Ball in a radio episode of The Martin and Lewis Show, on which she appeared in 1949, posted this date in 2007.

TV Series Finale, devoted to TV series endings, etc., asking for “the best sitcom in TV history”, from 200 shows (down to 58 shows) - (“I Love Lucy”) beat out Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Andy Griffith Show; and after 27000 votes: (“I Love Lucy”), second place, with 25% of the votes, behind Friends, with 29% of the votes, posted this date in 2010.

TheLucyLounge Website - 'shemp' - “TVShowsonDVD reports that The Mothers-In-Law is coming on July 27”; - 'bweir' - “...commentary by Kaye Ballard, Madelyn Davis and Dann Cahn! Let's Talk to Lucy: Eve Arden; and the Desi Pilots! The Carol Channing Show, with Jimmy Garrett, possibly the best DVD release of 2010!” - 'Harry Carter' - “For those in LA, the LA Paley Center For Media is doing a free special screening of The Mothers-In-Law episodes on June 19, as well as a reunion with the cast of My Three Sons later that day”, posted this date in 2010.

May 22

Molly Lamont, stars with Lucille Ball, 1936; stars with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1944; as well as starring with Lucille, 1946, is born this date in 1910.

Cecil Smith, drama critic, Lucille Ball's cousin/'sister', Cleo's husband'; and Lucille's guest co-star, (“Here's Lucy”), 1970; as well as guest with Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz IV - a GAB Entertainment Special - (“Here's Lucy”) On Location, 2009, is born this date in 1917.

Quinn Martin, former husband of Madelyn Pugh Davis, Lucille Ball’s long-time writer; producer, Desilu Productions', TV Programs: Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, “The Untouchables, Parts 1, 2, 1959, The Scarface Mob, 1959, as well as Executive Producer, The Untouchables, 28 episodes, 1959-60; The Gun of Zangara 1960, is born this date in 1922.

Michael Constantine, guest co-star, Desilu Productions', The Untouchables, 5 episodes, 1961-63, Vacation Playhouse, 1963, The Greatest Show on Earth, 1963; Desilu Studios'-filmed Slattery's People, 1964, and Hogan's Heroes, 1966; as well as appears with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, via archival footage, TV in Black: The First Fifty Years, 2004; is born this date in 1927.

Merry Anders, guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Ann Sothern Show, 1959; as well as The Joey Bishop Show, 1963, 1964, is born this date in 1932.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), appears in Paramount Picture's, The Princess Comes Across, as Benton, co-starring Carole Lombard, Fred MacMurray; Dick Elliott and Milburn Stone, uncredited, among many others, released on this date in 1936.

Susan Strasburg, guest, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, “Debut”, 1958, is born this date 1938.

Lucille Ball appears in MGM film Without Love, released in 1945.

Lucille Ball appears on CBS Radio’s The Radio Reader’s Digest: “The Lion and Mousie,” this date in 1947.

Lucille Ball appears on NBC’s Screen Directors’ Playhouse: “Her Husband’s Affairs,” this date in 1949.

(“I Love Lucy”)“Never Do Business With Friends,” an episode wherein Lucy gets a new washing machine, which is filmed this date in 1953.

Washington Post, Louella Parsons: “Lucille and Desi Eye Real Estate”, published this date in 1954.

Lucille Ball and collage of famous redheads, appear on NY Tribune TV and Radio Magazine cover this week in 1955.

CBS’ Sunday Lucy Show: 30 minutes black & white: This is a collection of (“I Love Lucy”) programs, beginning April 3 until October 30 - this date’s episode, rerun #26. Because so many home viewers requested to see the early episodes, as they did not have television sets when they originally aired, CBS Radio’s and the Arnazes re-ran these shows in the late afternoon on Sundays, this date in 1955.

Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, “Who is Byington?”, starring, among others, Harry Morgan, airs on this date in 1956.

Lucille Ball appears on NBC’s The Fourteenth Annual Emmy Awards and presents the Emmy for the Comedy Writing Award, this date in 1962.

Lucille Ball wins an Emmy for The Lucy Show - Outstanding Continued Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Comedy Series; was surprised and humble in her acceptance speech, at the 18th Emmy Ceremonies, this date in 1966.

Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz), in a NY Times article: “Memo: to Every Person Who Has Ever Laughed,” mementos about her appearance in My Daughter, Your Son, published this date in 1969.

Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz) appears on CBS' The Mike Douglas Show, with Minnie Pearl and Enzo Stuarti, airing this date in 1970.

Torben Meyer, b. 12/1; Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, 1935, 1936; co-stars, in uncredited role, with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), The Blue Veil, 1951; Desilu Productions’, Cavalcade of America, 1953; as well as (“I Love Lucy”), 1956, dies this date in 1975.

Nation, Editorial: “Postscript on Lucy,” published this date in 1989.

Lucille Ball makes a guest appearance, via archival footage, on The Tonight Show, Starring Johnny Carson, airing this date in 1992.

Walter Janowitz, b. 1/18; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, My Favorite Martian, 1964, Hogan's Heroes, 7 episodes, 1965-67; as well as Lucille Ball guest, (“Here's Lucy”), 1969; dies this date in 1997.

The Family Life Radio Network will broadcast a feature story on Lucy-Desi Days, Jamestown NY, tomorrow noontime and re-broadcast it between 7:00 and 8:00 p.m. The Family Life Network website – and will present the feature story to be available in several days, announced this day in 2007.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Wilmer Valderrama Coming To Jamestown – by Nicholas L. Dean – “Wilmer Valderrama, of The 70's Show fame, is looking forward to spending the weekend in Jamestown, and his performance at the Reg Lenna Civic Center, formerly the Palace Theater Saturday evening, saying the experience will be a refreshing one for him”, published this date in 2008.

chautauqua region WORD – Issue 21 - cartoon artwork announcing Memorial Day Weekend in Jamestown featuring artist, Gary Peters, rendition(s) of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, published this week in 2008.

The SCENE – “Jamestown Loves Lucy Street Festival” – “The Downtown Jamestown Development Corporation has jointed forces with the Lucy-Desi Center to bring the ‘Jamestown Loves Lucy’ Street Festival this Memorial Day weekend during Lucy-Desi Days. The street ffestival is only of 40+ events taking place throughout the holiday weekend,” published this week in 2008.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Lucille Ball Colleague To Speak Saturday – “Howard Rayfiel, a featured guest during the upcoming Lucy-Desi Days Memorial Day Weekend Festival, will speak Saturday about his years working with Lucille Ball as resident counselor to Desilu Productions and vice president of Lucille Ball Productions, serving as production executive of ‘Here’s Lucy’”, published this date in 2008.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Lucy-Desi Days to Feature Auction, Collectors’ Show – “Friday through Sunday during Lucy-Desi Memorial Day Weekend, collectors will be offering rare treasures, as well as affordable starter items for beginner collectors, both at Auction and Show,” published this date in 2008.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Publication: Chautauqua County Vacation Issue – Lucy-Desi Days – Memorial Day Weekend Festival Jam-Packed – “Valderrama Visit Will Headline Lucy-Desi Days” – “Lucy-Desi Days 2008 is shaping up to be a spectacular weekend full of both free and paid-admission events, complemented by the attendance of several celebrities and vendors in the streets of downtown Jamestown. Repeat appearances by Linda Pellegrino, WKBW-TV; Melody Thomas Scott, L-D senior Board Member, hosting Brunch, Talent and Costume Shows; Diane Vincent and Rhonda Medina, Lucy and Ethel impersonators hosting a Dinner Party and photo opportunities; Dann Cahn, Wanda Stamatovich and Tom Watson, each hosting mini-segments during the weekend, as well as Headliner, Willmer Valderrama, young actor, of The 70's Show fame, hosting Desi Arnaz Tribute; Fred Ball’s widow and family, hosting Summer Wind excursion; Howard Rayfiel, resident counsel to Lucille Ball in latter years; and Steven Kay, child-actor who played Stevie Appleby, now adult, from Superman Segment (“I Love Lucy”) [51 years ago], as well as the usual outdoor movies; artists’ displays; Lucytown Tours,; Photo opportunities; and Fan Reunion, honoring Tom Watson, Lucille Ball publicist and friend”, published in 2008.

The SCENE – Visual Arts Section - “Library Exhibit and Scavenger Hunt Are Lucy-Desi Opportunities in Downtown Jamestown” – “Local residens and visitors alike can enjoy two special opportunities in Lucille Ball’s hometown: a unique exhibit at the James Prendergast Library, from the private collection of Joel Tator, and the Downtown Jamestown Loves Lucy Scavenger Hunt,” published this week in 2008.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – ERA Professionals Represent Western NY in Style – San Antonio - “Ten members of ERA Vacation Properties/ERA VP team recently attended the 2009 ERA International Business Conference at the Convention Center in San Antonio. Jamestown and Western NY representatives were dressed in (“I Love Lucy”) costumes representing their town, city or region, and won “The Best-Dressed at the Fiesta” Contest. The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center donated costumes, wigs and (“I Love Lucy”) signs”, published this date in 2009.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – “Jamestown Loves Lucy” Event Taking Placee – “The Downtown Jamestown Development Corporation has joined forces with the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center to bring the “Jamestown Loves Lucy” Street Festival to Downtown Jamestown this weekend during Lucy-Desi Days, one of thirty-plus events that will be taking place throughout the weekend”, published this date in 2009.

The Daily Mirror - Larry Harnisch Reflects on Los Angeles History - “Movie Star Mystery Los Angeles Times File Photo” - “I'm calling this series of mystery photos 'Lucille Ball and Friends'; in going through The Times files of her photos, was struck by the number of unfamiliar images. These photos are different from the 'usual' stills of publicity shots of Lucille - these are different - the unknown Lucy. This series shows Lucille with a group of aspiring actors and actresses she had under contract in her project to provide the kind of training she received early in her career. In 1959, they appear, having achieved some measure of success. The Times' clips provide the names of the Desilu Workshop Theater members; but, the people aren't identified on the back of the photo. Unidentified, therefore, are: Jerry Antes, Bob Barran, Majel Barrett, Janice Carroll, Carole Cook, Georgine Darcy, Dick Kalman, Marilyn Lovell, Fran Martin, Gary Menteer, Johnny O'Neill, Bob Osborne, Roger Perry, Howie Storm, Mark Tobin and Bob Trevis - 14 unidentified, with 16 names”, posted this date in 2010.

May 23

Herbert Marshall, co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1938; Lucille Ball co-star, KECA Radio, 1942; guest, Desilu Productions', December Bride, 1955; as well as with Lucille, Hollywood Without Make-Up, 1963, is born this date in 1890.

Frank McHugh, Lucille Ball co-star, 1949; co-star, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Red Skelton Hour, 1959; guest, Desilu Productions', Harrigan and Son, 1961; as well as co-star, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Bing Crosby Show, 27 episodes, 1964-65; is born this date in 1898.

Betty Garrett, Lucille Ball many-year friend, of LaVerne and Shirley, and All In The Family fame; another entertainment figure, with husband, Larry Parks, as Lucille, who was caught up in the Communist scare of the 1950s; appears with Lucille, archivally, That's Entertainment! III, 1994, is born on this date in 1919.

Sid Melton, co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1951; guest, Desilu Productions’, Our Miss Brooks, 1954; Whirlybirds, unknown year; guest co-star, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Make Room For Daddy, 10 episodes, 1959-63; Official Detective, 1958; Desilu Productions’, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse’s, 1958, The Ann Sothern Show, 2 episodes, 1959; The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, 1958, 2 episodes, 1959; Desilu Productions', December Bride, 2 episodes, 1959; Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Joey Bishop Show, 1961; as well as Desilu Productions', You Don't Say, 14; is born this date in 1920.

Helen O’Connell, guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, 1956; as well as Desilu Productions’ , Host, Here’s Hollywood, 17 episodes, 1961-1962, is born this date in 1920.

Ted Jordan, of Gunsmoke fame, 112 episodes, 1961-1975; Lucille Ball co-star, uncredited, 1949; guest, Desilu Productions', The Walter Winchell File, 1958; as well as Mission: Impossible, 1966, is born this date in 1924.

Rosemary Clooney, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz’ friend, neighbor, guest, Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of Stars, 1951; appears with Lucille and Desi, Toast of the Town, 1958; appears with Lucille, Bob Hope's 30th Anniversary Special, 1981; and Women I Love: Beautful But Funny, 1982; with Lucille, The Kennedy Center Honors: A Celebration of the Performing Arts, 1987; with Lucille, archivally, Bob Hope: The First 90 Years, 1993; with the Arnazes, archivally, Bob Hope: Hollywood's Brightest Star, Video Entertainment, 1996, as well as appears with Lucie Arnaz, Lucille, archivally, Bob Hope at 100, 2003; is born this date in 1928.

Joan Collins, guest, Desilu Productions’, Star Trek, 1967; Mission: Impossible, 1969; with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, and with Lucille Ball, Women I Love: Beautiful But Funny, 1982; with Lucille, 4th Annual TV Guide Special, 1983; with many stars, All-Star Party for Lucille Ball, 1984; with Lucille and Lucie, Night of 100 Stars II, 1985; and with Lucille, via archival footage, and Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz, IV, Lucille, winner of the first ‘Legacy of Laughter’ Award, The 5th Annual TV Land Awards, 2007, is born this date in 1933.

LA Examiner – Behind the Makeup – by Erskine Johnson: “Lucille Ball has been known . . . while watching Directors at work on a picture . . . to direct the picture,” published this date in 1938.

Hollywood Citizen News: “Lucille Ball goes into Full Confession at RKO, published this date in 1939.

LA Evening Herald Express, Jimmy Starr: “Lucille Ball rushed to Cedars of Lebanon for appendix removal, which shelves any plans she may have had for the next few weeks,” published this date in 1939.

Lucille Ball appears in Life Magazine this date in 1949.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra record the background music for CBS’ (“I Love Lucy”), Episode #38, Marc Daniels’ last episode as Director, which is filmed this date in 1952.

TV Guide: “Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz cancel personal appearances for two weeks to stay at home with nine-month old Lucie in San Fernando Valley home.” (Lucille’s pregnancy, not as yet 'public' knowledge, is not mentioned) this week in 1952.

Hedda Hopper, after witnessing a visitor leaving Lucille Ball’s house (Hedda and Lucille were long-time friends), wrote a column, indicating Madelyn Pugh, long-time co-writer of My Favorite Husband, (“I Love Lucy”), (The Lucy Show), and (“Here’s Lucy”), will retire from the show to marry childhood sweetheart, Dr. Richard Davis, this date in 1964.

James Burke, b. 9/24; Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, 2 films, 1933; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1934, 1935, 1937; with Lucille 2 films, 1938; Frawley, 1940; 1942; 1946; 1947, 1948; supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucy”), 1954; as well as Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Red Skelton Show, 1958, and The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, 1958, dies this date in 1968.

Jimmy McHugh, b. 7/10; songwriter, Lucille Ball film, 1935, 1942; music: William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) film, 1947; appears with Lucille and Desi Arnaz, A Star Is Born World Premiere, 1954; music, Lucille documentary, 1985; Lucille, via archival footage, documentary, That's Entertainment! III, uncredited song from 1932, 1994; writer, Desi Arnaz, IV, film, song, 1994, and Lucille, documentary, 1994; as well as Lucille documentary, archival footage, Hollywood Singing and Dancing: A Musical History - The 1940s: Stars, Stripes and Singing, video documentary, music, uncredited, 2009; dies this date in 1969.

LAs Times, “They Still Love Lucy,” published this date in 1977.

Lucille Ball appears on NBC, Happy Birthday, Bob: A Salute to Bob Hope’s Eightieth Birthday, a high-rated program, with George Burns, Kathryn Crosby, Phyllis Diller, Dolores Hope, Ronald and Nancy Reagan, George C. Scott, Flip Wilson, among others, airing this date in 1983.

Desi Arnaz makes a guest appearance, with Jack Paar, on Late Night with David Letterman, on this date in 1983.

Lucie Arnaz appears, as herself, part of the CBS' Team, on Battle of the Network Stars, XVIII, Joan Van Ark and Dick Van Dyke, as hosts, among many others, airing this date in 1985.

Elliott Lewis, b. 11/28; husband, Mary Jane Croft, Lucy veteran supporting cast member; Desilu Productions’, Executive Producer; producer, The Lucy Show, 1962; 1963; as well as Desilu Productions’, Producer, Vacation Playhouse, 1966, and The Mothers-In-Law, as producer, “Everybody Wants to Be a Writer”, 1967, and director, 35 episodes 1967-69; dies this date in 1990.

Ralph Brooks, b. 9/23; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) 1940; 2 films, 1941; early film-career co-star, Lucille Ball, 1941; with Frawley, 1942; with Lucille, 1945; with Frawley, 2 films, 1951; with Lucille and Desi Arnaz, Forever Darling, 1956; as well as Desilu Productions', The Scarface Mob, uncredited, 1959, dies this date in 1992.

Ray Romano headlines the Lucy-Desi Memorial Day Festival in Jamestown, New York, this date in 1998.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Guided Tours To Be Held As Part Of Lucy-Desi Weekend – “Lucy-Desi Days, May 23-25, 2008, which begins today and ends Sunday, will offer three tours of the area at 10 a.m., 1 and 4 p.m., each day of the Festival, through Jamestown and the Village of Celoron. Lucy Studd, Jamestown native, tour director, and guest celebrities, one of whom is comedian, Matt Rohr, voted the funniest person in Buffalo, 2005, 2007, performing in collaboration with the Arts Council, join the fan participants for these tours, a popular feature of the Days,” published this date in 2008.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Lucy Faithful Gather in Jamestown – by Sharon Turano - “Lucille Ball lovers from around the country were not the only ones to descend on Jamestown for this weekend's Lucy-Desi Days; but, a Lucy impersonator and Lucille's No. 1 fan got into the action Friday, as well. Michael Stern, No. 1 fan, of Los Angeles, hosted a Fan Cruise on the Summer Wind and shared personal stories of Lucille Ball and his friendship with her;and Diane Vincent, Lucy impersonator, made a visit to a Lucille Ball fan and patient in WCA Hospital, and performed in other events during the weekend”, published this date in 2009.

The Latest From Everything Lucy blogspot announces “2010 Lucy-Desi Days Fan Appreciation Weekend - “Headliner on Saturday, May 29, during the 2010 Lucy-Desi Days Fan Appreciation Weekend is Suzanne LaRusch, Lucille Ball Impressionist! Suzanne is bringing her one-woman show to Jamestown, 'An Evening with Lucille Ball: Thank You for Asking', directed by Lucie Arnaz. This program is crafted in the spirit of amusing lectures Lucille Ball gave throughout her career. Suzanne credits her mother’s roots in upstate NY, born and raised in Buffalo, giving her the ability to channel the star of ('I Love Lucy')”, posted this date in 2010.

I'm still on the first two items and have another NOTE, Hank Fonda actually DATED her, as he and his roommate Jimmy Stewart dated Lucy and Ginger Rogers, that's well documented so i would think you would mention him as her one time date as well as co star. He kept making those jokes at award banquets that if he'd played his cards right, they might have called that studio HENRYlu. LOL! AND you didn't mention the TV special they did together.

For comedy hall of fame award in '87, Lucy didn't even bother showing up and sent a video of herself thanking them instead as it was such a badly done and organized affair by her old competition, Laugh In producer George Schlatter. I was surprised that Lucy did a number with Sinatra and Burnett at the Emmys, had no recollectiom at all of that and i'm sure signing WITH Sinatra with HER voice is somethnig she probably wanted to forget also, LOL! I especially LOVE all your references to Lucy's appearances at the Emmys, i wonder how many times she appeared and to do what.

For comedy hall of fame award in '87, Lucy didn't even bother showing up and sent a video of herself thanking them instead as it was such a badly done and organized affair by her old competition, Laugh In producer George Schlatter. I was surprised that Lucy did a number with Sinatra and Burnett at the Emmys, had no recollectiom at all of that and i'm sure signing WITH Sinatra with HER voice is somethnig she probably wanted to forget also, LOL! I especially LOVE all your references to Lucy's appearances at the Emmys, i wonder how many times she appeared and to do what.

Found your 'suggering' (on the 16th) - thanks for catching for me; have 'fixed' it....Love, JK

May 23rd, Betty Garrett, you could add that Lucy and Betty BOTH guested on the Gene Kelly tv special, called An American in Pasadena.

Thanks, Claude; fixed Cotten; will research the others as soon as the sun goes away; need some morning color on my old face!!!! Love, JK

• 2 weeks later...

I hope some time frees up in Joyce's summer schedule to get us up to speed from this week. I have so little to read during my lunch hour now. LOL

Thanks for bringing this up, been thinking about her all week, where is our Lucy chronology FIX for the week?

Thanks for bringing this up, been thinking about her all week, where is our Lucy chronology FIX for the week?

Brock & Claude: It's coming.....I OWE 2 weeks now....how time flies....sorry; will get it in here asap....Love, JK..........thanks for caring....

Brock & Claude: It's coming.....I OWE 2 weeks now....how time flies....sorry; will get it in here asap....Love, JK..........thanks for caring....

Of course we care, you also need to take care of YOURSELF, maybe you can do them once a month even if it's better for you and don't inlcude everything, we can get the rest when the book comes out. Stop killing yourself to get it all on here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi JK -- here's another Lucy mention from TV Guide :)

TV Guide June 20-July 3, 2011 . Double Issue p 74

Funniest Women on TV "It's our toughest challenge yet: to name television's funniest lady. We count down the women who've kept us in stitches -- from Lucille Ball's zany antics on I Love Lucy to Tina Fey's snappy dialog on 30 Rock. TV's Funniest Women premieres Sunday, July 3, at 8/7c on TV Guide Network".

Hi JK -- here's another Lucy mention from TV Guide :)

TV Guide June 20-July 3, 2011 . Double Issue p 74

Funniest Women on TV "It's our toughest challenge yet: to name television's funniest lady. We count down the women who've kept us in stitches -- from Lucille Ball's zany antics on I Love Lucy to Tina Fey's snappy dialog on 30 Rock. TV's Funniest Women premieres Sunday, July 3, at 8/7c on TV Guide Network".

This is wonderful - thanks, Viv....Regards, Joyce

Archived