Lucille: The Life of Lucille Ball

Bluekate

First of all hi, i'm new =)

I have to write a 15 page paper on sitcoms, and i kind of wanted to compare i love lucy and the nanny a little bit. I'm having a lot of trouble with the latter and the only book i found that also discusses fran drescher is Kathleen Bradys. I wanted to know if one of you guys read it and if it would be worth getting, as the reviews on amazon are mixed. Thank you =)

Welcome to the board!

I personally think that Kathleen Brady's book is the most comprehensive biography of Lucille Ball out there. There are some factual inaccuracies in it -- and most of the criticsm seems to stem from the topless photo of a model who may or may not be Lucy that is included in the book -- but it is heads and tails above the others. The Lucy Book by Geoffrey Mark (Fidelman) briefly discusses Lucy's "appearance" on The Nanny as well and it might be a good resource if you're trying to compare Lucy episode plots to those of The Nanny.

Good luck with the paper! Let us know how you do.

Ahhh this was my first ever Lucy book..... I cant remember it at all LOL I Must pull it out and have another read

Mine too! At the time I thought it was great, but after reading several other Lucy biographies soon after I knew it wasnt the most accurate. Still an interesting read though.

Mine too! At the time I thought it was great, but after reading several other Lucy biographies soon after I knew it wasnt the most accurate. Still an interesting read though.

Yeah, good read but nothing out of the ordinary, same stories, different author, great book though. And the author seems really nice.

Fran used to hang with her friends and watch I LOVE LUCY when she was in high school.. she is a big fan of Lucille and her work.. and there are a few episodes of The Nanny that make a "salute" to Lucille.. (they "salute" other classic TV shows too, like the one where Fran plays Mary Tyler More in a salute to THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW)... Too bad you had to change your subject to FRIENDS.. I know I am alone.. but I never could warm up to that show..sorry.

Fran used to hang with her friends and watch I LOVE LUCY when she was in high school.. she is a big fan of Lucille and her work.. and there are a few episodes of The Nanny that make a "salute" to Lucille.. (they "salute" other classic TV shows too, like the one where Fran plays Mary Tyler More in a salute to THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW)... Too bad you had to change your subject to FRIENDS.. I know I am alone.. but I never could warm up to that show..sorry.

Your loss, as it's one of the all time best comedy series ever to grace television, it has a few duds in there like all shows do but i still watch it often to this day. Like Lucy, this show will last forever. It won't have the same impact but it will last as the characters were so rich and well written.

Your loss, as it's one of the all time best comedy series ever to grace television, it has a few duds in there like all shows do but i still watch it often to this day. Like Lucy, this show will last forever. It won't have the same impact but it will last as the characters were so rich and well written.

I agree. I love Friends!! Great show!

Fran used to hang with her friends and watch I LOVE LUCY when she was in high school.. she is a big fan of Lucille and her work.. and there are a few episodes of The Nanny that make a "salute" to Lucille.. (they "salute" other classic TV shows too, like the one where Fran plays Mary Tyler More in a salute to THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW)

see, thats about the only connection i found between them, and I couldn't really find any books/articles on their connection, so I decided to give it up.

Thanks everyone, for the warm welcome :)

• 3 weeks later...

First of all hi, i'm new =)

I have to write a 15 page paper on sitcoms, and i kind of wanted to compare i love lucy and the nanny a little bit. I'm having a lot of trouble with the latter and the only book i found that also discusses fran drescher is Kathleen Bradys. I wanted to know if one of you guys read it and if it would be worth getting, as the reviews on amazon are mixed. Thank you =)

It's too bad you changed your focus, because I just found this on Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/fran-drescher-of-the-nanny-and-lucille-ball-of-i-love-lucy-lee-deangelo/1103555984?ean=9781241565985&itm=6&usri=lucille%2bball

Too late? :(

Archived