Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Chronology - Week 1 -June

leenorman

June 1

Frank Morgan, Lucille Ball early-film career co-star, 1934, co-star, Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), uncredtied, 1936; with Lucille, 1943; appears with Lucille, archivally, Hollywood Without Make-up, 1963; as well as, archivally, with Lucille and Desi Arnaz, American Masters: Judy Garland: By Myself, 2004, is born this date in 1890.

Nelson Riddle, appears Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, one episode, 1956; The Gun of Zangara, and Alcatraz, 1960, Music Composer; The Untouchables, Composer: theme music, 103 episodes, 1959-1963; composer, themes, 15 episodes, 1961-62; Composer, 3 episodes, 1960; appears with Lucille Ball General Electric's All-Star Anniversary, 1978; as well as with Lucille, Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz IV, All-Star Party for Lucille Ball, 1984; is born this date in 1921.

Joan Caulfield, co-star, Desilu-Studios'-filmed, My Favorite Husband, 1953-55, and My Three Sons, one episode, 1966, is born this date in 1922.

Andy Griffith; star of Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Andy Griffith Show, 1960, of Mayberry R.F.D. and Matlock fame; guest, Desilu Productions’, Here’s Hollywood, 1961; Lucille Ball guest, (“Here’s Lucy”), 1973, appears, CBS’ On the Air: A Celebration of 50 Years, on which Lucille co-hosts, Part II, 1978, shares TV Guide cover with Lucille in October of 1986; guest, PBS' Pioneers of Television Documentary – archival footage of (“I Love Lucy”) and Lucille and Desi, 2008; as well as with Lucille, both archivally, TV's 50 Funniest Phrases, 2009, is born this date in 1926.

Bob Monkhouse, appears with Lucille Ball, archivally, Bob Hope at 100, 2003; as well as with Lucille, archivally, Bob Monkhouse's Comedy Heroes, 2004, is born this date in 1928.

Morgan Freeman, appears with Lucille Ball, archival footage, Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz IV, at the 5th Annual TV Land Awards, “Legacy of Laughter” Award, 2007, is born this date in 1937.

Hollywood Citizen News, Sidney Skolsky: “Red Skelton and Lucille Ball will make I Dood It, a Metro picture,” published this date in 1942.

LA Examiner, Behind the Makeup, Harry Crocker: “A Personal Oscar to – Lucille Ball! Each day as Lucille leaves The Big Street, she loads her station wagon with leftover food from the many eating film sequences and distributes it to needy families in the San Fernando Valley previously located for help from the huge Victory garden she and Desi Arnaz planted,” published this date in 1942.

Lucille Ball appears on the cover of Suspense Mystery Magazine, with Lee J. Cobb, Dolores Costello, Joseph Cotten, Lillian Gish, Gene Kelly,and Alan Ladd, second half of the year 1946.

(“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy Wants New Furniture” - Lucy purchases new furniture without Ricky’s permission, airing this date in 1953.

The Saturday Evening Post, Peter Martin: I Call on Lucy and Desi: “I visited Desi Arnaz in his office; learned about his childhood with a father who was Mayor of his hometown, Santiago, Cuba; his final movie; Desi and Lucille's Vaudeville act, in preparation for (“I Love Lucy”); and spoke of Desi's early musical career; his and Lucille's early business ventures moving them toward the legendary (“I Love Lucy”),” published this date in 1958.

CBS’ The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour – The thirteen hour-long specials that Lucille and Desi did for sponsors Ford and Westinghouse from 1957-60 are re-run as a summer replacement series. New opening and closing graphics are created this date in 1960.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - Reached as City Phones ‘Cut Over’ – Lucy Asks for Swedish Rye Bread in DDD Call – by Jenny Vimmerstedt – Post-Journal Staff Writer – “Lucille Ball sends her love to all her friends here, and next breath, asks about chances to get some good Swedish rye bread. Speaking from Warner Bros. Studio, Hollywood, our first direct distance dialing in celebration of the ‘cut over’ today, and in answer to her telephone call on Memorial Day when we were away, with guests, Marion Strong VanVlack and L. Pauline Lopus, long-time friends from home, it took only 30 seconds after dialing the 13 digit number to reach Warner Bros. Studio and to be connected with the ‘set’ where Lucille is rehearsing for Critics Choice, with Bob Hope. Lucille still thinks of coming to Chautauqua Lake and bringing husband, Gary Morton and her children she always wanted to show her home town,” published this date in 1962.

McCall's (USA), Volume 100, Issue 9, pp. 72,3, 134-137, by Lee Israel, “Everybody Still Loves Lucy,” published in 1973.

Bart Andrews, “The ('I Love Lucy') Book” author, acknowledges that his first book Lucy & Ricky & Fred & Ethel: The Story of (“I Love Lucy”) was published on the twenty-fifth anniversary of the premiere of (“I Love Lucy”) in his current book, June 1st acknowledgement, one of the volumes written about Lucille Ball that she recognizes as being ‘accurate,” this date in 1984.

Leon Belasco, b. 10/11, Lucille Ball early-career co-star in 1939, 1941, 1944; (“I Love Lucy”) 1953; and The Lucy Show, 1963; dies this date in 1988.

Time Magazine: Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appear, with others, on the cover, by Al Hirschfeld, famous Broadway and Hollywood caricaturist, as: “Top 100 Artists and Entertainers of the 20th Century,” this date in 1998.

Lucille Ball’s infamous ‘Vitameatavegamin’ commercial routine is rated 4th, among 29 other routines from 60 years of comedy routines viewed by audiences for The Museum of Television and Radio, and broadcast on Fox Television Network’s TVs Funniest Moments, this date in 2007

Lucie Arnaz appears with Robert Klein, reprising their Broadway smash hit, Neil Simon's musical, They're Playing Our Song, featuring selected scenes and songs, at the Kennedy Center National Symphony Orchestra, accompanying Marvin Hamlisch, on this date [and through June 2] in 2007.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Give It Your Best Shot – Photo – “Lucie Arnaz performs in the Lucille Ball Memorial Park, in Celoron, on Memorial Day weekend last year, immediately after the dedication of the Desi Arnaz Bandshell”, published this date in 2008.

TV Guide: “Top 100 TV Episodes of all time” - (“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy Does A TV Commercial”, 5/5/52, was Number Four, published in 2009.

June 2

Johhny Weissmuller, of Tarzan fame; guest co-star, Desilu Productions', Here’s Hollywood 1961; with Lucille Ball, via archival footage, Hollywood Without Make-Up 1963; is born this date in 1904.

Desi Arnaz is baptized into the Catholic Church in Cuba, this date in 1917.

Gil Stratton, uncredited Lucille Ball co-star, 1943; veteran supporting cast member, Lucille Ball's My Favorite Husband radio show, 1948-1951; as well as guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, 1954, is born this date in 1922.

Lucille Ball begins rehearsals filming her first large part in an A-film, RKO’s, Stage Door, co-starring Ginger Rogers, Ann Miller, Eve Arden, Katharine Hepburn, several women who will become life-long friends, this date in 1937.

Sally Kellerman, guest, Desilu Productions’, The Greatest Show on Earth, 1964; Star Trek, 1966; and with Lucille Ball and many others, Happy 100th Birthday, Hollywood, 1987; as well as with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, via archival footage, Off the Menu: The Last Days of Chasen's, 1997; is born this date in 1937.

LA Evening Herald Express, Jimmy Starr: “Slim Lucille Ball picked up 145-pound Maurice Cass, and threw him out of a film set! Lucille had taken a few lessons in Ju Jitsu – during The Affairs of Annabel, and learned them too well! When it came time for the scene, Lucille did a few quick turns, and there went Maurice, flying through the air!” published this date in 1938.

Lucille Ball appears on CBS’, Lux Radio Theater “They Drive By Night,” this date in 1941.

LA Examiner, Louella O. Parsons: “Lucille Ball’s mother has moved to Lucille and Desi’s ranch and will live there for the duration,” published this date in 1943.

Hollywood Citizen News, Meet the People, Dorothy Watson: “Broadway Star, concerns itself with a Broadway star, Lucille Ball, who has been directed that ‘if you must play the people, you must meet the people’; so, Lucille, after being kissed by about 25,000 shipyard workers at a war bond rally, opines: ‘Now I know how a trumpet player feels’,” published this date in 1944.

[‘Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude to “I Love Lucy” which made history and will perpetuate.] Jamestown Post Journal: Lucille Ball’s Jewels Stolen – Chicago (UP) – “. . . prowlers invaded her hotel suite and made off with $6,000 in jewelry. The thieves used a passkey to enter the suite in the Ambassador East Hotel, and theft wasn’t discovered until this morning. One of the items was Miss Ball’s engagement ring from Desi Arnaz, a 40-carat aquamarine; a 62-carat aquamarine pendant; a gold choker chain; gold earrings; and other valuables, passing up the mink coat and items of costume jewelry,” this date in 1950.

[‘Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude to “I Love Lucy” which made history and will perpetuate.] Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz premiere their vaudeville tour at Chicago’s Paramount (Balaban & Katz) Theater - the tremendous gamble in taking their husband-and-wife act on the road – in the months during Lucille Ball’s summer hiatus from My Favorite Husband - paid off handsomely from the start - was successful this date forward, in 1950.

[‘Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude to

“I Love Lucy” which made history and will perpetuate.] Variety: “Their twenty-minute routine, consisting of a quickly assembled first-rate vaudeville act, devised by an old friend, the renowned international Spanish clown, Pepito, involving a physical-comedy sketch for which he coached the couple personally and rigorously at the Coronado Hotel in San Diego; the creation of a xylophone and ‘an incredible cello’ (prop) based on an invention of his own, which had been part of his act. Other routines in the twenty-minute act included a Pugh-Carroll-scripted skit and musical routine based on ‘Cuban Pete’ (Desi’s creation) and ‘Sally Sweet’ for Lucille to join him in a second chorus, as well as a comedy sketch, illustrating a married couple’s difficulties involved in busy lives and real-life predicaments, ‘is top fare for vaude houses and niteries,’” published this date in 1950.

“Ricky Thinks He’s Getting Bald” (“I Love Lucy”), episode with Lucy giving Ricky scalp treatments – veteran supporting cast member, Roy Rowan’s first appearance of many as segment announcer, airing this date in 1952.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - “Before Success: Lucy Recalls Jamestown in Mag Article – A host of memories of her days in Jamestown and Celoron are recalled by Lucille Ball in an article in the July issue of Good Housekeeping Magazine, told to George Christy, entitled: ‘My Dearest Memories,’ recounting incidents of the days during which the entertainer was reaching for her present pinnacle of success,” published this date in 1958.

Variety: “Desi . . . arrived at the press luncheon to wish ‘em well, to also plant a kiss on Lucy – who obviously was very happy to see him,” Desi had lunch with Lucille and Bob Hope, while they were filming Facts of Life, and who had sent a copy of the script to seek Desi to guest star, which he promptly declined, this date in 1960.

CBS’ The Lucy Show - While each of Lucille Ball’s series has always gone on summer hiatus, selected re-runs of the show are aired in prime time instead of a summer replacement series, commencing March 24. The remaining weeks are re-runs for the first time in color from the series’ last three seasons (1965-68) on this date in 1969.

Robert S. Carson, b. 6/8; co-star, Desilu Productions’, Cavalcade of America 1954; guest, Shower of Stars 1954; December Bride 1958; The Texan 1959, as well as, cast member, The Lucy Show 1964, 1966; (“Here’s Lucy”) 1968, 1969, 1971 and 1972, dies this date in 1979.

Jack Gilford, b. 7/25; Lucille Ball guest co-star, (“Here’s Lucy”) 1969; as well as with Lucille, 4th Super Comedy Bowl 1, 1971; dies this date in 1990.

Imogene Coca, b. 11/18; Sid Caesar's partner and co-star, Your Show of Shows, 1950-54; Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz' friend; on billing when Lucy and Desi were on their vaudeville “tour” promoting plans for future (“I Love Lucy”), 1950,; with Lucille, NBC: The Big Event: TV Guide, The First 25 Years, 1979, with Lucille, Bob Hope Special, Woman I Love: Beautiful But Funny, 1982; with Lucille, The 38th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, 1986, as well as with Lucille and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), 50 Years of Funny Females, 1995, dies this date in 2001.

Lucie Arnaz appears with Robert Klein, reprising their Broadway smash hit, Neil Simon's musical, They're Playing Our Song, featuring selected scenes and songs, at the Kennedy Center National Symphony Orchestra, accompanying Marvin Hamlisch, through this date, in 2007.

Mel Ferrer, b. 8/25; one of the founders of the LaJolla Playhouse, near San Diego, where Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz) was 'discovered' by Desi Arnaz, Marc Daniels and Jess Oppenheimer; co-star, Vivian Vance, 1951; as well as co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1952; dies this date in 2008.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Nation & World – Fired Destroys Universal Sets, Video Vault – by Greg Risling, Associated Press Writer – Universal City, CA – “One of Hollywood’s largest movie studios starred in a disastrous sequel Sunday as a fire ripped through a lot at Universal Studios, destroying . . . videos, including every film that Universal has produced and footage from television series including (“I Love Lucy”)”, published this date in 2008.

The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Business – Tastee Treats Since 1953 – Foote Avenue Ice Cream Shop Open For Another Season – by Robert Rizzuto – “An area summertime staple since 1953 is now open and gearing up for a fun-filled summer with events, theme nights, and ice cream. The new owner of five years, worked there 25 years ago, and classic American music from the 1950s and 1960s sets the nostalgic tone, with customers being treated to black-and-white television sets playing (“I Love Lucy”) and others; with specialty sundaes, like the ‘red-head sundae’, the chocolate-laced ‘bon-bon special’ and the ‘bob-a-lucy’, in Lucy’s honor; and with each out-of-town visitor having a picture taken with the five-foot neon profile of Lucy, highlighted in the side window of the business,” published this date in 2008.

June 3

Eddie Acuff, appears with Lucille Ball, 1938; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 2 films, 1939, 1940, 1941; 2 films, 1945; with Lucille, 1945; with Frawley, 2 films, 1947, 1949; with Lucille, 1949, is born this date in 1903.

Cameron McCulloch, Sound Recording; (“I Love Lucy”), 104 episodes, 1953-57, sound recordist; Desilu Studios'-filmed, Make Room for Daddy, audio engineer,”Family Troubles”, 1954, Sound Engineer, The Adventures of Jim Bowie, 10 episodes, 1956; Sound recordist, Desilu Productions', December Bride “The Rory Calhoun Show”, “The Prize Fighter”, 1956, and “The Budget Show”, 1957; Sound Recordist, Recorder, and Sound Engineer, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, 7 episodes, 1958-1960; Desilu Productions', The Untouchables, Sound Engineer, 28 episodes, 1959-62; Sound Engineer, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse “The Time Element”, 1958, and “The Man in the Funny Suit”, 1960; Desilu Productions', Sound Mixer, The Scarface Mob, 1959; Sound Engineer, Angel, 5 episodes, 1960-61; Sound Engineer, Desilu Productions', I Spy, “Danny Was a Million Laughs”, “Affair in T'Sien Cha”, “Carry Me Back to Old Tsing-Tao”, and “A Cup of Kindness”, 1965; Sound Engineer, The Lucy Show, 13 episodes, 1962-68; Sound Mixer, Desilu Productions', Star Trek “Where No Man Has Gone Before”, 1966, and “A Taste of Armageddon”, 1967; Sound Engineer, Desi Arnaz Productions', The Mothers-In-Law “A Night to Forget”, “The Newlyweds Move In”, and “My Son, the Actor”, 1967; with Desi Arnaz, The Mothers-In-Law “A Night to Forget”, Sound Engineer, 1967; Sound Engineer, (“Here's Lucy”) “Lucy Visits Jack Benny”, 1968, “Lucy Cuts Vincent's Price”, “Lucy and Jack Benny's Biography”, 1970, and “Lucy Fights the System”, 1974; is born this date in 1909.

Paulette Goddard, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, 1933, 1934, is born this date in 1910.

Ellen Corby, played Grandma on The Waltons, 9 years, Lucille Ball early film co-star, 2 films, 1946; and supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucy”), 1956; as well as appears CBS’ On the Air: A Celebration of 50 Years, on which Lucille co-hosts, Part II, 1978, is born this date in 1911.

John Kellogg, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) co-star, 1952; as well as Desilu Productions', The Untouchables, 3 episodes, 1962, is born this date in 1916.

Jack Manning, Lucille Ball guest co-star, (“Here's Lucy”), 1972, 1973, is born this date in 1916.

Colleen Dewhurst, guest, Desilu Productions’, Here’s Hollywood, 1962; with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; as well as with Lucille Ball and Lucie, Night of 100 Stars II, 1985, is born this date n 1924.

Tony Curtis appears with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, A Star Is Born World Premiere, 1954; guest co-star, Desilu Productions’, Here’s Hollywood, 1962; co-stars with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), 1965; as well as with Lucille and Vance, via archival footage, 50 Years of Funny Females, 1995; is born this date in 1925.

Hollywood Citizen News, Elizabeth Yeamann: “ . . . set for roles in Stage Door, are Lucille Ball, among others, including her friends, Ginger Rogers and Katharine Hepburn,” published this date in 1937.

The NY Times: “Rehearsals for the new George Abbott/Richard Rodgers/Harry Hart musical, Too Many Girls, (as it was invariably referred to) were set to begin in August,” this date in 1939.

William Frawley (Lucy’s Fred Mertz) being an avid baseball fan, joined other fans on a special five-hour-long show aired on Gene Autry’s local TV station [a paid political announcement which convinced enough voters to approve a referendum to build a better stadium for the Dodgers than the Los Angeles Coliseum] this date in 1948.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear on CBS Radio, 30-minute, Situation Comedy, My Favorite Husband “Budget – Mr. Atterbury,” episode #47, produced and directed by Jess Oppenheimer; written by Jess Oppenheimer, Madelyn Pugh & Bob Carroll, Jr., featuring Ruth Perrott, as Katy the Maid, Gale Gordon and Bea Benaderet, as Mr. and Mrs. Atterbury; original music by Marlin Skiles; conducted by Wilbur Hatch; announcer, Bob LeMond, sponsored by General Foods, JELL-O; with veteran supporting cast member, Frank Nelson, airing this date in 1949.

Lucille Ball appears on Look Magazine cover collage, including Marilyn Monroe: “How Lucy Bounces Back From Real-life Tragedies - Quiet dinners at home: nourishing dish of hamburgers, onions, and tomatoes . . . called Desilu Goulash,” this date in 1952.

Look, Lenore Sylvian: “Laughing Lucille,” published this date in 1952.

(“I Love Lucy”) “The Business Manager,” an episode with veteran supporting co-stars, Charles Lane and Elizabeth Patterson, wherein Ricky hires a business manager and puts Lucy on a strict budget, is filmed this date in 1954.

CBS, which now owns the 179 (“I Love Lucy”) films outright, re-titles the last thirteen episodes, Lucy in Connecticut, this date in 1960.

Wildcat closes after a run of 22 weeks, nearly 200 peformances, and for an exhausted Lucille Ball, long hours of rehearsals, eight live performances per week, and more of an emotional load on her than she can bear, this date in 1961.

CBS’ 60-minutes, black & white - The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour – The thirteen hour-long specials that Lucille and Desi did for Ford and Westinghouse from 1957-60 are re-run as a summer replacement series. Fresh opening and closing graphics are created to accommodate the new show title and sponsorship this date in 1963.

Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), appears with Richard Pryor and Casey Stengel, on The Merv Griffin Show, broadcast on this date in 1965.

Ozzie Nelson, b. 3/20; friend of Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball; her co-star in RKO Radio's, The Big Street, 1942, dies this date in 1975.

Lucie Arnaz is one of the guest performers, “They's Playing Our Song”, on The 33rd Annual Tony Awards, airing this date in 1979.

Adweek, Dottie Enrico: “Celebrity Endorsers – Lucy Models Blackglama,” published this date in 1985.

Desert Magazine (Palm Springs): “Smoking Played Role in Comedian’s Death,” published this date in 1989.

Anthony Quinn, b. 4/21; guest co-star, Desilu Productions', Here’s Hollywood, 1961; with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; as well as with Lucille Ball, via archival footage, The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson 1992, dies this date in 2001.

Lew Wasserman, b. 3/22; friend to Lucille Ball; when The Lucy Show became (“Here’s Lucy”), he took her to ‘safe harbor’ at Universal, when Lucille left the Paramount lot; as well as appears, archivally, with Lucille, Moguls & Movie Stars: A History of Hollywood, 2010, dies this date in 2002.

Jamestown, NY and Surrounding Area - Alltel Telephone Directory – Community Magazine – “Looking Back At 6 Years” – 1999-2004 – Celebrating Lucy: “The 2001 magazine section featured a special tribute to Jamestown’s sweetheart, Lucille Ball, celebrating the 50th anniversary of the television debut of (“I Love Lucy”). Known as the First Lady of Comedy, Ball was born in Jamestown in 1911 and was destined to become a star, often referenced Jamestown on her show(s) and insisted that her character be from her own hometown. This magazine section was all about Lucy – filled with many colorful photographs, fun facts and a feature artible about America’s most lovable, comical redhead”, published in 2005.

The Latest in Everything Lucy – Website – “Katharine Luckinbill, daughter of Lucie Arnaz and Larry Luckinbill; granddaughter of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, is starring in a comedy play by Melinda Lopez: Alexandros, Laguna Theatre, directed by David Ellenstein, through June 29th”, published this date in 2008.

The Latest in Everything Lucy – Website – “Lucie Arnaz and co-star, Ryan Hornchick - The Pack, attend Connecticut Film Festival, Danbury, where the film was shown May 25; a film with an anti-smoking message, attending and after-film reception to benefit the American Cancer Soeiety”, published this date in 2008.

Rue McClanahan, b. 2/21; of Golden Girls' fame, appears with Lucille Ball, The 33rd Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, 1981; appears with Lucille, The 38rd Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, 1986; appears with Lucille and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), each via archival footage, 50 Years of Funny Females, 1995; appears with Lucie Arnaz, CBS at 75, 2003; as well as with Lucille and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), via archival footage, TV's Greatest Sidekicks, 2004; dies this date in 2010.

James Arness, Marshall Dillon, of Gunsmoke fame, 1955-1975; guest appears, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Red Skelton Hour, 1958, and The Red Skelton Chevy Special, 1959; appears, CBS’ On the Air: A Celebration of 50 Years, Lucille co-hosts, Part II, 1978, with Lucille, NBC: The Big Event: TV Guide, The First 25 Years, 1979, as well as appears with Lucille, NBC’s The First Academy of TV Arts and Sciences Television Hall of Fame, 1984; dies this date in 2011.

June 4

Dennis Weaver, of Gunsmoke fame, co-star in Desilu Productions', You Don’t Say, as himself, 1964; as well as appearing with Lucille Ball in Swing Out, Sweet Land, with many other stars, 1970; with Lucie Arnaz, CBS at 75, 2003, is born this date in 1924.

John Drew Barrymore, stars in Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1958; as well as guest, Desilu Productions', Here’s Hollywood, 1961; [nephew of actor, Lionel Barrymore, a great friend of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, who stayed many weekends in Chatsworth Ranch guest house]; as well as with Lucille Ball [both via archival footage], You Know the Face, among many other stars, 2009, is born this date in 1932.

LA Daily News, Harry Mines: “Desi Arnaz, a Latin from Manhattan, arrrives in Hollywood over the weekend, to prepare for his role in Too Many Girls; unlike his reputation which preceeds him, arrives with his mother and no fanfare, stating he is here to work; George Abbott discovered Arnaz for Too Many Girls, Broadway, when he listened to Desi and Band at LaConga,” published this date in 1940.

LA Evening Herald Express, Harrison Carroll: “When Desi Arnaz, Cuban glamor boy, paid his first visit to RKO lot, everybody fired questions at him, and one of his Hollywood favorites is Ginger Rogers,” published this date in 1940.

Big Song Magazine: Black and white headshot of Lucille Ball with the caption, “Lucille Ball stars in MGM’s Meet the People, published in 1944.

Lucille Ball appears in MGM film Two Smart People, released this date in 1946.

The American Magazine – Article pictures Lucille Ball with costume designer Eloise Jensson [Academy Award winner, and ultimately long-time employee of Lucille Ball], in 1947.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear My Favorite Husband “George is Messy,” episode #91, with veteran supporting cast member, Doris Singleton, the basis for (“I Love Lucy”) “Men Are Messy” airs this date in 1950.

The New York Times: Features a quarter-page ad of Desi Arnaz modeling a shirt from Browning King Fifth Avenue: “Desi Arnaz wears a new . . . Sportshirt by Sea Island . . .” this date in 1953.

Lucille Ball and collage of stars - 10th Anniversary Edition, Chicago Tribune TV Week cover for this week in 1966.

Lucille Ball, shocked and emotional, wins an Emmy for Outstanding Continued Performance in a Leading Role in a Comedy Series, after 14 years, at ABC's, The 19th Annual Emmy Awards, Desilu Productions', with fourteen nominations for the 1966-67 season, on this date in 1967.

Lucille Ball appears in a Syndicated Dinah! Show, sharing the guest co-starring with George Segal, and hilarity ensues, this date in 1976.

During the filming of five days’ appearances of Body Language, a word puzzle and charades television program, co-starring Lucille Ball, with Charles Nelson Reilly, a Contestant, James Ronald Whitney, future author of Just Melvin, Just Evil, award-winning documentary presented at the Sundance Film Festival and televised on HBO during January 2000, which documentary includes footage from his appearance on the game show, this day in 1984.

CBS’ - The Lucie Arnaz Show, “Jane's Desperate Hour”, starring Lucie Arnaz, as Jane Lucas, co-starring Lee Bryant, as Jill; Karen Jablons-Alexander, as Loretta; Tony Roberts, as Jim Gordon; as well as Todd Waring, as Larry Love; each appearing in 6 episodes, with guest co-stars, Raymond Baker and Kit LeFever, airs this date in 1985.

Parade Magazine (LA): “Collector’s Item: Lucille Ball,” published this date in 1989.

Stephen McNally, guest star, Desilu Productions', The Texan, 1959; Desilu Studio-filmed, The Barbara Stanwyck Show, 1960, The Guns of Will Sonnett, 1967, as well as The Danny Thomas Hour, 1967, dies this date in 1994.

Lucie Arnaz appears, wowing her peers at the American Theatre Wing's Annual Spring Benefit Gala, in tribute to long-time friend, Tommy Tune. Others paid tribute to: Carol Channing and James Earl Jones. The event was held at Cipriani 42nd Street, New York City, NY, on this date in 2007.

The Latest From Everything Lucy Website – Lucy-Desi Center Looks to Brighter Days - News arrived from Mary Rapaport who used to be on the board of the Lucy-Desi Center about the turn around of The Center and our need to support them during this time and help to rebuild and heal. In May of 2007, concerns were raised about unethical business practices at The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center. It became evident that several things happening at the Center did not reflect the high standards that the organization upholds. It was at that time that many employees called upon then-board member Mary Rapaport for help. Mrs. Rapaport and Lucie Arnaz worked to investigate the situation and resolve issues at The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center. The ensuing two-year struggle culminated with the firing of the executive director and the subsequent resolution of issues stemming directly thereof. The road to recovery has been long and difficult. Two weeks ago, Mrs. Rapaport spoke with Mr. Latone (President of the Lucy-Desi Center's Board of Directors) extensively regarding the future of The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center. Mr. Latone answered every question directly and honestly, regardless of implication. Mr. Latone and his board of directors have developed a viable business plan for the Center, which will hold the Lucy-Desi Center solidly to the course. For the first time, the Lucy-Desi Center is on the right course! Lucie Arnaz's appearance in Jamestown last week was a much-needed affirmation that the Center has indeed entered a new era, and that healing has truly begun. Her final song spoke to everyone, as she imparted the need to overlook the differences and begin the healing process. Great strides have been made to ensure that The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center is solidly on-track. While not every issue has been fully resolved, it is clear with absolute certainty that every issue has been addressed. As a result of these difficult financial times, coupled with the strain weathered by these past struggles, the Center is in dire financial condition. A challenge to all Lucy-Desi supporters and fans to step up to the plate and give your full support to The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center; fans are asked to renew their memberships, and to encourage others to join. We encourage all fans to resume shopping at the gift shop, and start visiting the center as much as possible,” posted this date in 2009.

June 5

Herb Vigran, co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1940, 1947, 1948, 1951; long-time Arnazes and Desilu friend, employee, supporting cast member, and co-star, The Long, Long Trailer, 1953; (“I Love Lucy”), 4 episodes, with Vivian Vance and William Frawley (The Mertzes), 1952-54; guest star, Desilu Productions', December Bride, 1954; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Make Room For Daddy, 1955; Desilu Productions', Acting Director, Our Miss Brooks, 1953, 1956; Cavalcade of America, 1956; guest, among many others, Shower of Stars, 1957; The Texan, 1959, The Untouchables, 1959; Whirlybirds, 1959; The Ann Sothern Show, 1959-60, Angel, 1960; Lucille's guest, The Lucy Show, as well as with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), and Desi Arnaz, IV, 1964-66; and Desi Arnaz Productions', The Mothers-In-Law, 1968, is born this date in 1910.

Robert Lansing, co-star, Desilu Productions’, Here’s Hollywood 1961; Star Trek, 1968; Desi Arnaz, IV, co-star, Automan series - 13 episodes - 1983-84, is born this date in 1928.

LA Post-Record: “Lucille Ball attends a cocktail party in Westwood Village celebrating her return to Hollywood,” published this date in 1934.

LA Evening Herald Express, Jimmy Starr: “Desi Arnaz, Cuban - movie village’s latest glamor boy’s mama has arrived in town to see that sonny boy gets enough rest and no circles under his eyes. Desi is a bit of a gadabout, rumor has it . . .” published this date in 1940.

LA Daily News, Erskine Johnson: “Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, who ought to know, deny they are expecting a baby. Lucille, incidentally, is headed for stardom at RKO, published this date in 1941.

Hollywood Citizen News, Sidney Skolsky, Walk With Me: “In Hollywood, we’ll look in: The hangout for the RKO mob is on the lot. It is the barber shop and newsstand, located on Broadway and 42nd St. - You can see Lucille Ball there looking through a fan magazine for photographs of Lucille Ball,” published this date in 1941.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appear together on TV Reporter cover this week in June 5-11, 1953.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appear on Picture Show (England) Magazine cover this date in 1954.

CBS’ Sunday Lucy Show: 30 minutes black & white: This is a collection of (“I Love Lucy”) programs, beginning April 3 until October 30 - this week’s episode #28. Because so many home viewers requested to see the early episodes, as they did not have television sets when they originally aired, CBS and the Arnazes re-ran these shows in the late afternoon on Sundays, this date in 1955.

Desi Arnaz and the Desi Arnaz Orchestra record the background music for CBS-TV (“I Love Lucy”), Episode #154, filmed this date in 1956.

Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, “The Major of St. Lo”, co-starring, among others, Frank Gerstle, Peter Graves, Paul Sorenson, John Stephenson, Stuart Whitman; Don W. Sharpe, many-year associate of Desilu, Executive Producer, fourth of seven episodes Desilu produced, airs this date in 1956.

Keith Thibodeaux (“I Love Lucy’s” 'Little Ricky') is born in December 1950; - at 5.5 years of age, signs his 7-year contract in March 1956, and appears in his first episode, filmed this date in 1956.

CBS, which now owns the 179 (“I Love Lucy”) films outright, re-titles the last thirteen episodes Lucy in Connecticut and beams it every Sunday night in prime time for the duration of the summer, beginning this date in 1960.

Vito Scotti, b. 1/26; supporting cast member, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959; Desilu Productions’, The Californians, and The Texan, 1959; Lucille Ball film co-star, The Facts of Life, 1960; as well as guest, The Lucy Show, 1962, dies this date in 1996.

Jeanette Nolan, b. 12/30; guest, Desilu Productions, Whirlybirds, 1959, Guestward Ho!, 1961; and Desi Arnaz Productions', The Mothers-in-Law, 1968, 1969, dies this date in 1998.

Mel Torme, b. 9/13; Lucille Ball guest co-star, The Lucy Show, 2 episodes, 1967, dies this date in 1999.

Ronald Reagan, b. 2/6; U.S. President; Lucille Ball early-film career co-star; friend of both Arnazes; appears with Desi, Screen Snapshots, 1943; and via archival footage, Memories in Uniform, 1954; with Lucille and Desi Toast of the Town, 1955, 1956; guest, Desilu Productions’, Here’s Hollywood, 1960; with Lucille, The Bob Braun Show, 1967; with Lucie Arnaz, Johnny Carson, host; via taped message, The 53rd Annual Academy Awards, 1981; with Lucille, Showbiz Goes to War, 1982; with Lucille, NBC, Happy Birthday, Bob: A Salute to Bob Hope’s Eightieth Birthday, 1983; with Lucille and Desi, archivally, Hollywood Out-takes and Rare Footage, 1983; with Lucille, Bob Hope’s High-Flying Birthday, 1986; with Lucille, as honoree, The Kennedy Center Honors: A Celebration of the Performing Arts, 1986; again in 1987; with Lucille, as hostess, America’s Tribute to Bob Hope, 1988; Bob Hope: The First 90 Years; with Lucille, via archival footage, The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, 1992, with Lucie Arnaz and Lucille, via archival footage 1993; with Desi, both via archival footage, Fame in the Twentieth Century, 1993; with Lucille, archivally, Bob Hope: Hollywood's Brightest Star, 1996; with Lucille and Desi, archivally, Off The Menu: The Last Days of Chasen's, 1997; with Lucille and Desi, via archival footages; with Lucille, archivally, ABC 2000: The Millennium, 1999; as well as with Lucille, both archivally, The Last Mogul, 2005, dies this date in 2004.

Desi Arnaz’s president’s office chair in the early 1950s, at Desilu Cahuenga Studios, has found its way to the Lucy-Desi Museum in Lucille Ball’s hometown, Jamestown, NY, having been donated by the family of Jess Oppenheimer, the show’s creator, and announced this date in 2007

June 6

Walter Abel, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, 1935, 1940; guest, Desilu Productions', Sheriff of Cochise, 1957; as well as appears, as himself, uncredited, with Lucille, via archival footage, Hollywood Out-takes and Rare Footage documentary, 1983, is born this date in 1898.

Hollywood Citizen News: “Lucille Ball gets a good spot in RKO’s Marx Brothers’ picture, Room Service,” published this date in 1938.

Hollywood Citizen News: “RKO previewed Five Came Back - a ‘surprise’ production at Westwood Village Theater tonight, the movie about the plane carrying 12 passengers forced down on a jungle island, with Lucille Ball,” published this date in 1939.

Desi Arnaz stars in Universal film, Cuban Pete, with co-stars, The King Sisters – Yvonne, Louise, Donna and Alyce - released in 1946.

LA Examiner, Dorothy Manners: “Desi Arnaz and his gang open at the Mocambo, June 21,” published this date in 1949.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra record the background music for CBS-TV (“I Love Lucy”), Episode #40, filmed this date in 1952.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appear on TV Guide cover this week in 1952.

TV Stage: How Lucy and Desi Live (New Ranch): “TV’s most popular couple find living is easy in Palm Springs, just having finished building a new ranch house. the Thunderbird, 4400 square feet, 6 bedrooms, air conditioning, swimming pool and a lanai (veranda), furnished in contemporary style,” published this date in 1954.

Desi Arnaz, while vacationing in Guaymas Sonora, Mexico, catches a 79-pound sail fish, this date in 1957.

Desilu Productions', Desilu Studios'-filmed, U.S. Marshal, “R.I.P.”, directed by Robert Altman, created and written by Mort Briskin, Executive Producer; starring John Bromfield, as U.S. Marshal Frank Morgan, co-starring James Griffith, as Deputy Tom Ferguson, and Ruta Lee, as Clara Regan, among others; with W. Argyle Nelson, Production Supervisor, and James A. Paisley, Production Manager, sixth of 7 episodes, 1958-59, Music, E. C. Norton; Art Direction, Ralph Berger; Dan Cahn, Film Editor, with Bill Heath, Editorial Supervisor; Robert Reeve, Re-recording Editor; Sandy Grace, Set Decoration; and Casting, Kerwin Coughlin, airs this date in 1959.

Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz) appears on The Red Skelton Show “Appleby’s Sleepwalk”, co-starring with Red, and airing this date in 1961.

Spencer Tracy, b. 4/5, Lucille Ball co-star, 1934, 1945; with Lucille, Hollywood Without Make-Up, 1963, The Big Parade of Comedy, 1964; and with Lucille and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), 50 Years of Funny Females, 1995 both by archival footage; as well as with Lucille, both via archival footage, ABC 2000: The Millennium 1999, dies this date in 1967.

Desi Arnaz IV stars in American International Pictures' Joyride, released in 1977.

James Nusser, b. 5/3, of Gunsmoke fame, 1956-1970; guest, Desilu Productions', The Lineup, 4 episodes, 1954-58, The Texan, 1958; as well as The Untouchables, 1961, dies this date in 1979.

Lucie Arnaz appears, as a presenter, on The 36th Annual Tony Awards, among many other stars, airing this date in 1982.

Mort Mills, b. 1/11, guest, Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, Sheriff of Cochise, 1956; Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, 1957; Desilu Productions', The Untouchables, 1959; Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp; Desilu Productions', The Texan, 1960, The Untouchables, 1962; as well as Mission: Impossible, 2 episodes, 1967, dies this date in 1993.

Barry Sullivan, b. 8/29, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959, 1960; Desilu Productions’, Here’s Hollywood, 1961, You Don't Say, 1963, and Mission: Impossible, 1967, dies this date in 1994.

The Latest From Everything Lucy Website: Lucie Arnaz Closes Landmark’s Season - Landmark Theater, in Port Washington NY, ends Saturday, June 20 at 8 PM, with a night of favorite songs sung by legendary performer, Lucie Arnaz. The daughter of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, her performance includes a very touching tribute to her father, posted this date in 2009.

June 7

Lucille Ball’s stepfather, Ed Peterson, is born this date in 1884.

Dean Martin, long-time friend and many-time guest co-star of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, Lucille, a guest on Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin Radio Show, 1948; Dean, a performer on Lucy-Desi Friars’ Club ‘Roast”, 1958; with Lucille, The Lucy Show, 1966; Dean’s son, Dino, a member of Desi IV band before Dino’s untimely death; as Matt Helm, Murderer’s Row, with Desi Arnaz, IV, (performance by Dino, Desi & Billy), 1966; with Lucille, Jack Benny’s Twentieth Anniversary Special, 1970; with Lucille, Swing Out, Sweet Land, with many other stars, 1970; host, The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast: Lucille Ball, 1975; Dean co-stars with Lucille in “Lucy Gets Lucky”. 1975; one of the stars honoring Lucille – CBS Salutes Lucy: The First 25 Years, 1976; Lucille on the dais of The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast: Danny Thomas, 1976; host, The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast: Jimmy Stewart, Lucille on the dais - 1978; guest with Lucille, Sinatra: The First 40 Years, 1980; with Lucille and Desi, American Masters: Judy Garland: By Myself, 1983; guest, Unrehearsed Antics of the Stars, 1984; one of the stars honoring Lucille - All-Star Party for Lucille Ball, 1984; archivally, with Lucille, That's Dancing, 1985; guest, with Lucille, archival footage, Legends of Comedy, 1992; with Desi and Lucille, via archival footage, Off the Menu: The Last Days of Chasen's, 1997, as well as honoree guest host, with Lucille, all by archival footage, The Best of the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts, 1998, is born this date in 1917.

Lucille Ball stars in her first large A-film, RKO’s, Stage Door, co-starring with Eve Arden, Hillary Brooke, Jack Carson, Jack Gargan, Katharine Hepburn, Adolphe Menjou, Ann Miller, and Ginger Rogers; several of whom will become life-long friends - Ann Miller having been 'smuggled aboard' by Lucille and Ginger, as over age 18; but, in fact, was only 14 years of age; filming begins this date in 1937.

Jean Harlow, b. 3/3, Lucille Ball early film-career friend, appears, archivally, with Lucille, 1964; archivally, with Lucille and Desi Arnaz, 1983; as well as, with Lucille, both archivally, 1994, dies this date in 1937.

LA Examiner: “Five Came Back, RKO film previewed last night at the Westwood Village Theater, is gripping melodrama about plane passengers lost in a South American jungle. Good entertainment, with Lucille Ball in cast,” published this date in 1939.

Bing Crosby wrote lyrics for “Where the Blue of the Night [Meets the Gold of the Day]” in 1931; music used in Lucille Ball film That’s Right, You’re Wrong, this date in 1939.

Hollywood Citizen News, Radio Zuma Palmer: “In 1937, Artie Auerbach was working on a show with Lucille Ball and fell in love with the dark-eyed girl who always came to the studio with Miss Ball but, it took him a month to get up courage to ask for an introduction and a year later, he proposed. Cleo Manning, Miss Ball’s cousin, has now been Mrs. Auerbach for two years,” published this date in 1940.

Motion Picture Herald, What the Picture Did For Me: Easy to Wed: Lucille Ball, in Technicolor, turned in a very delightful performance . . . now at the peak of her popularity with my fans,” published this date in 1947.

LA Evening Herald Express, Harrison Carroll: “Lucille Ball confirms that she and Desi Arnaz will re-wed in a church ceremony on the nineteenth, having been originally married in 1940,” published this date in 1949.

Lucille Ball makes an appearance on NBC Radio’s The Bob Hope Show, this date in 1949.

(“I Love Lucy”) “Pioneer Women,” announced by veteran member Roy Rowan, and which episode is re-run this date in 1954.

Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) appears on The Red Skelton Show, “Appleby's Fallout Shelter”, as Clara Appleby, airing this date in 1960.

Zasu Pitts, b. 1/3; Lucille Ball early film-career ‘hero’- Lucille loved her red hair; appears with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), The Gale Storm Show, 1956; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Red Skelton Show, 1956; guest co-star, Desilu Productions', Guestward Ho! 1961; as well as with Lucille Ball, via archival footage, The Big Parade of Comedy, 1964, dies this date in 1963.

CBS’ The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour - 60 minutes – black & white – The thirteen hour-long specials that Lucille and Desi did for Ford and Westinghouse are re-run yet again as a summer replacement series this date in 1965.

Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz) guest stars on The Match Game, broadcast this date in 1965.

Dan Duryea, b. 1/23; film co-star with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) 1945; Desilu Productions' December Bride 1955, Cavalcade of America, 1957; with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1958, as well as guest, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1958; dies this date in 1968.

Lucie Arnaz is one of the guest presenters on The 35th Annual Tony Awards, airing this date in 1981.

Bob Sweeney, the Arnazes friend; Lucille Ball co-star, as Gilmore Cobb, 2 seasons, My Favorite Husband, 1949, 50; with cast, (“I Love Lucy”), Stars in the Eye, 1952; Desilu Productions’, Shower of Stars, 1954; Our Miss Brooks, 30 episodes, 1952-56; with Desi Arnaz, Our Miss Brooks, 1955; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Red Skelton Show, 1957; Desilu Productions', The Brothers, unknown episodes, 1956-57; The Ann Sothern Show 1960; director, 78 episodes, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Andy Griffith Show, 1960-63; dies this date in 1992.

Desiderio Arnaz II, (Desi Arnaz’ father's) second wife, Anna Arnaz, dies this date in 1994.

Max Factor, Jr., b. 8/18; (an important friend throughout Lucille Ball’s life – she signed her first promotional agreement with Max in 1935), dies this date in 1996.

Signe Hasso, b. 8/15; Desilu Productions', two-time guest, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959, as well as Kraft Mystery Theater, 1962, dies this date in 2002.

Lucie Arnaz appears on The Early Show, to join the presenters welcoming winners of recent My Broadway Debut contest, who will join the cast of Lucie's Broadway show Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, on this date in 2006.

The fourth in a series of “Legacy of Laughter” events was part of last month’s annual Lucy-Desi Days festival. The “LOL” is an exploration of the healing powers of laughter and features distinguished panelists who use humor in their personal and professional lives. Cleo Smith, Lucille Ball’s cousin and producer of (‘Here’s Lucy’) is among the panelists, part of a festival in Jamestown, NY. LOL #4 is the first of several to be sponsored by TV Land. The creator of LOL, Lucie Arnaz, serves as moderator for these unique and interactive evenings, announced this date in 2007.

Lucie Arnaz is an interviewee, by Kate Burton, on stage at the 63rd Annual Tony Awards, Neil Patrick Harris, as host, on this date in 2009.

There's an error in June 4th, Emmy Awards, Lucy is not winning for the first time in 14 years as she states in her acceptance speech, she had won also in 1955 but a sponsor conflict stops her from attending so her best actress award was picked up by Madelyn that year. So it was really twelve years between the last award for ILL and the First for The Lucy show.

June 7th, Zasu Pitts, funny Lucy story, the first celebrity Lucy sees in Hollywood, on the street, one of the first anyway, is screen legend Lilian Gish, but Lucy goes up to her and practically spits all over her face that she thinks she's Zasu Pitts. Seeing Miss Gish years later at a Hollywood event, Lucy tells the story to Miss Gish and aplogizes profusely.

There's an error in June 4th, Emmy Awards, Lucy is not winning for the first time in 14 years as she states in her acceptance speech, she had won also in 1955 but a sponsor conflict stops her from attending so her best actress award was picked up by Madelyn that year. So it was really twelve years between the last award for ILL and the First for The Lucy show.

GEEZ, Claude; you are more informed than I am; keep 'em coming....my love to you, JK

June 7th, Zasu Pitts, funny Lucy story, the first celebrity Lucy sees in Hollywood, on the street, one of the first anyway, is screen legend Lilian Gish, but Lucy goes up to her and practically spits all over her face that she thinks she's Zasu Pitts. Seeing Miss Gish years later at a Hollywood event, Lucy tells the story to Miss Gish and aplogizes profusely.

I DO remember reading some p.r. on those incidents; wonder, however, if you think it's appropriate to put it in....whaddyathink???? Love, JK

June 7th Signe Hasso, famous film star of the era, also appeared with Lucy on a Hope special with all his famous leading ladies as she had done a film with Bob while Lucy had done four.

I'll go back and check this item; do you mean Women I Love....Beautiful But Funny????

Love, JK

I DO remember reading some p.r. on those incidents; wonder, however, if you think it's appropriate to put it in....whaddyathink???? Love, JK

I think it's a funny story, it's historical as it's her first real life movie star sighting in Hollywood in real life and she actually acts like her Lucy Ricardo character would have in this particular case, LOL!

I'll go back and check this item; do you mean Women I Love....Beautiful But Funny????

Love, JK

Unfortunately, i do not recall the name of that particular Hope special but Lucy is shown in a beautiful beaded gown on the left and Signe is in the background with the others i think, Signe was a beautiful actress, a sort of Hope Lange, Dina Merrill type beauty, just gorgeous. I know it was a huge gathering of his former leading ladies including Dotty Lamour, Joan Collins (another instance of her appearing with Lucy which we were mentioning on another thread recently and Virginia Hellman MAYOnaise, etc . . .LOL!

June 3rd, John Kellogg, any relation to Y O U ? Rosebud? :lucyhorror::lucysmirk:

I dun't THINK so; husband's side, dun't you know............

......... but, I believe ALL the SHEPARDs are; my maternal grandfather had several brothers who went west from this area; and many landed in film and country/western singing; that sort of thin' - can't narrow it down, really; but, it IS INTERESTING TO ME. My grandfather(s) each passed on before I was born MANY years ago....

Love, JK

......... but, I believe ALL the SHEPARDs are; my maternal grandfather had several brothers who went west from this area; and many landed in film and country/western singing; that sort of thin' - can't narrow it down, really; but, it IS INTERESTING TO ME. My grandfather(s) each passed on before I was born MANY years ago....

Love, JK

Is The View's Sherri Shepard any relation? LOL!

Love, JK

...howz about Sherri?? ;)

Archived