Question for Brock about Gale Gordon

Hi Brock! :D

I was watching the tribute to Gale on the bonus features of Here's Lucy Season 4 today. Everyone spoke so highly of him, of what a great guy he was both on & off the set. It made me wonder about a few things (especially when I saw your name in the credits again B) ).

Did you ever get to meet Gale in person? Are you in any way related to him? How did your admiration for the man & his work begin?

Only share if you want to, no obligation here ;)

Unfortunately I never had a chance to meet him, nor am I in any way related to him, just an admirer. I don't really know how my admiration grew -- for the longest time the only Gale episode I had on hand was Lucy & The Ceramic Cat so that wasn't really enough to judge. When CTS -- a local Christian station based near Toronto -- began airing TLS in its entirety I wasn't sure how I would feel about Mooney as by that time they got to Lucy, The Safe Cracker I was floored by the man's talent and timing and wanted to create some sort of online tribute/research project in his honour. And by all accounts, he was admired just as much by the people he worked with as the people that watched him on the small screen. Well, except for Mel Blanc. :marionstrong:

Thanks, Brock! I've become a big fan of Gale's since I've been able to watch him on TLS & HL DVDs. I first took notice of him when he played a judge on one of the comedy hour shows. I thought he was terrific in that.

Loved the montage of cartwheels in his tribute! :marionstrong:

PS - what's the story with Mel Blanc & Gale??

• 3 weeks later...

PS - what's the story with Mel Blanc & Gale??

I forgot to answer this one! Sorry.

In Mel's autobiography he basically said he decided to hate Gale after he didn't show the least bit of interest in the fact Mel and his wife just had a baby. I don't really believe this story because he goes on to erroneously claim that Gale and Virginia later adopted a few kids.

Loved the montage of cartwheels in his tribute! :marionstrong:

What Tribute??? Where? I want to see the montage!

Some people can get so excited about their newborns that they don't understand why everyone else is not equally blown away -- ala the Appleby's.

But don't you think Mel is carrying the grudge a little too far that years later he feels Gale's snub is worthy of inclusion in his autobiography??

I forgot to answer this one! Sorry.

In Mel's autobiography he basically said he decided to hate Gale after he didn't show the least bit of interest in the fact Mel and his wife just had a baby. I don't really believe this story because he goes on to erroneously claim that Gale and Virginia later adopted a few kids.

You see the kind of crap that makes it into bios? My all time favorite moment in a real life Gale was on The Merv Griffin show where Gale joined them in the last minutes and Gale actually said something to the effect that YOU'VE USED UP MOST OF THE TIME ANYWAY . . .because he was asked out so late in the show, LOL! It was so honest and REAL!

What I loved about about non-Lucy Gale was in THE BURBS where he plays the weird neighbour, and after he disappears his neighbours start snooping around his house, and if you look closely you will see framed photos of Lucille and Eve Arden (I didnt see one of Vivian though). What's the betting that this was Gale's idea.

Soon we'll be able to see him in another role as Mr. John Wilson when seasons 3 & 4 of Dennis The Menace are released. Wasn't it interesting that Jay North played Mr. Mooney's nephew in The Lucy Show episode, "Lucy The Robot"? I didn't pickup on the connection between North and Gordon until I read the guest star bio's!

Archived