Favorite The Lucy Show opening

The season 3 opening is by far my favorite.. I like how she gets shocked! And how she comes out of the floor and takes a "bow".. they did a good job with that one.. and yeah the seson 2 opening is very lame.. I guess it being in color was good enough at the time!

You're right, after the Kaleidoscope, this is my favorite also, the one where she gets shocked and they show more comedy BITS from there, but the kaleidoscope was so unusual and ahead of it's time, so much better than the archaic stick figures, didn't care for that one at all.

I love the psychedelic opening in the last four seasons. I like to think that this inspired John Lennon's lyrics in "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds".

The Jack-in-the-Box one they got rid of after a few eps.

Kidding! ;)

Kaleidoscope: shows off her many various escapades yet it ends on a very lovely, glamorous Lucy. The Best! :D

I love the psychedelic opening in the last four seasons. I like to think that this inspired John Lennon's lyrics in "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds".

Yes, as this song was popular at the same time Lucy ruled, i always wondered if it was Lucy inspired. His son might have been a BIG fan and daddy paid tribute, i like to think that anyway.

Yes, as this song was popular at the same time Lucy ruled, i always wondered if it was Lucy inspired. His son might have been a BIG fan and daddy paid tribute, i like to think that anyway.

I think the Lucy in question was one of Julian Lennon's classmates.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish they changed some of the scenes to the Kaleidoscope opening in seasons 5 & 6, to keep it fresh.

Are you kidding, that would have cost a fortune i'm sure as the idea was quite NEW at that time, we had a whole pavilion about it here at Expo 67 and it was quite the popular novelty at the time.

Are you kidding, that would have cost a fortune i'm sure as the idea was quite NEW at that time, we had a whole pavilion about it here at Expo 67 and it was quite the popular novelty at the time.

That's interesting, so your saying the Kaleidoscope Opening was expensive to create for the 1965-66 season? No wonder they used it for the rest of the series. Although the 5th season briefly had the "Jack-in-the-box" Opening in 1966. (They had a different opening every season before that!)

That's interesting, so your saying the Kaleidoscope Opening was expensive to create for the 1965-66 season? No wonder they used it for the rest of the series. Although the 5th season briefly had the "Jack-in-the-box" Opening in 1966. (They had a different opening every season before that!)

Well, "we" here don't know what it costs but "we" do know going back to Desilu's beginnings that they were oh how shall we say? "Cost concious".......I mean, c'mon, look at the first ILL eps credits....they list about 5 people out of what, 80, 90 folks that actually worked on the show?? Of course today's credits are ridiculously overboard the other way, listing personal trainers, hairstylist's stand-ins and dog walkers...but I digress. :D

.they list about 5 people out of what, 80, 90 folks that actually worked on the show?? Of course today's credits are ridiculously overboard the other way, listing personal trainers, hairstylist's stand-ins and dog walkers...but I digress. :D

So true, now you can make a sandwhich while the credits are rolling for any show or movie.

I'm saying that it was very INNOVATIVE and different and quite ahead of it's time as Kaleidoscope things like that were a new fangled thing in the industry. So it must have been very SPENSIVE. :lucy2::lucy2::lucy2:

I like all the openings, but season 3 is my favourite. I like the seasons 4-6 opening too, but it gets repetitive after a while considering it appears on more episodes than any other. Season 1 is cute with the cartoon characters, but it always bugs me when cartoon Vivian runs off to the right for no reason at all after the letters start falling off. She just wanders back in with nothing, so I always think "Viv, where'd you go and why???"

Season 2 is the dullest opening, but has the prettiest theme song arrangement over the closing credits IMO. Also, interestingly enough, I find the official season 2 DVD menu to be the best of them all.

the Kaleidoscope opening is extremely creative right down to the music track which works in snippets of the Lucy Show theme, but if you didn't know the tune you might not pick up on that. I'm just not wild about the clips chosen (especially that "White Christmas" fire extinguisher/cry). I like the clips chosen for the DVD recreation much better.

Because of that I'm more partial to season 3 as a favorite. Also very creative. Especially like the orchestra intro into the cymbal crash and then "IT'S The Lucy Show!".

I don't know of any long-running series that changed the opening credits so drastically each year like "the Lucy Show" did--with the exception of season 6.

I don't know who was responsible for these (but I'd like to). After Lucy's severed head popped out of the jack in the box, the company was probably fired. Everything else about those credits is OK, but the head thing is just a little creepy.

the Kaleidoscope opening is extremely creative right down to the music track which works in snippets of the Lucy Show theme, but if you didn't know the tune you might not pick up on that. I'm just not wild about the clips chosen (especially that "White Christmas" fire extinguisher/cry). I like the clips chosen for the DVD recreation much better.

Because of that I'm more partial to season 3 as a favorite. Also very creative. Especially like the orchestra intro into the cymbal crash and then "IT'S The Lucy Show!".

I don't know of any long-running series that changed the opening credits so drastically each year like "the Lucy Show" did--with the exception of season 6.

I don't know who was responsible for these (but I'd like to). After Lucy's severed head popped out of the jack in the box, the company was probably fired. Everything else about those credits is OK, but the head thing is just a little creepy.

Maybe it was because every year, she thought it was the show's last season ever, LOL!

I have always been a fan of the season 1 opening with the stick figures. As a kid I had only seen the syndicated heart opening for I Love Lucy and didn't know that an animated Lucy & Desi had originally opened the show so this animated opening for The Lucy Shiw seemed like something new and fresh to me. But, I guess season three would come in second for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived