Gale Stars!

Neil

Neil, this is amazing! Where on earth did you ever find The Brothers?! :obrien:

I got a copy of a DVD called "The Great Rerun" which as far as I can gather was prepared for a TV Academy function and never shown on the air. It doesn't identify the clips but includes short bits of a lot of 50s series that I've never seen. There is no host or narration but the end credits say "Written by Jess Oppenheimer" (among 5 writers) and "Hosted by Edgar Bergen" so that was either for the live event or cut from this film. Most of the clips just hop into a scene, so it was a treat to see a brief snippet of what appears to be "the Brothers" opening credits. Over-represented with long segments is Ernie Kovacs so my theory is that it was put together shortly after he died. This would make sense because there are no clips later than 1960. For years I knew Ernie Kovacs only from his LDCH appearance (and always thought he was more scary than funny). What he did with video was innovative for the time. Videotape was new and to produce the special effects he did really pushed the boundaries of what could be done with a very cumbersome technology. He was the darling of the sophisticates at the time and revered by the more intellectual TV scholars. Innovation does not always age well which is my assessment of Kovacs's bits, which is not to say he wasn't the genius that people say he was.

I got a copy of a DVD called "The Great Rerun" which as far as I can gather was prepared for a TV Academy function and never shown on the air. It doesn't identify the clips but includes short bits of a lot of 50s series that I've never seen. There is no host or narration but the end credits say "Written by Jess Oppenheimer" (among 5 writers) and "Hosted by Edgar Bergen" so that was either for the live event or cut from this film. Most of the clips just hop into a scene, so it was a treat to see a brief snippet of what appears to be "the Brothers" opening credits. Over-represented with long segments is Ernie Kovacs so my theory is that it was put together shortly after he died. This would make sense because there are no clips later than 1960. For years I knew Ernie Kovacs only from his LDCH appearance (and always thought he was more scary than funny). What he did with video was innovative for the time. Videotape was new and to produce the special effects he did really pushed the boundaries of what could be done with a very cumbersome technology. He was the darling of the sophisticates at the time and revered by the more intellectual TV scholars. Innovation does not always age well which is my assessment of Kovacs's bits, which is not to say he wasn't the genius that people say he was.

Yes there is this great video compilation of Kovacks' best work out there on dvd but nobody remembers him unfortunately, safe for his appearance with Lucy of course.

Archived