Lucy all over the gay blogs . . .

C L A U D E

Not only is Lucy the first five items on the Greg in Hollywood site, even Desi jr is in there as the morning man, BUT . . . Lucy is also featured in Boy Culture, an article about a witness to her visit to the Imperial Theater when Lucie was doing They're Playing Our Song. And she's also in Deep Dish with their favorite ten eps of The Lucy Show although they're all from ILL. Then there's After Elton's morning Meme has this Towel Rd article about Lucy being interviewed back in 1980 and asked about gay rights . . . Lucy clearly states that she's all for it as gays have always been at the forefront in history and entertainment and deserving of the recognition or words to that effect, they add that this was quite revolutionary for a top star to state so emphatically back in 1980. It seems Lucy is just everywhere . . . on the net.

LOL I saw a interview clip where she seemed less than thirlled about being known as a gay icon.

All huge powerful and strong Hollywood dames became gay icons, the Kates Bettes and Lucy of course although Lee Tannen told The Advocate when it did a story about Lucy that Lucy Ricardo was but Lucy Ball wasn't. I beg to differ, i think Lucille Ball definitely was. MAYBE, if Lucy did balk at being called one, it was because all the gay icons BACK THEN were people who had suffered greatly and beaten the odds or even failed and died young like Judy Garland whom Lucy initially loved but then grew to hate for the way she saddled her kids with debts and all the hassles she put them threw like leaving hotels with everything they owned on them as they skipped out on bills. Lucy having helped raise Liza heard all these stories about the REAL LIFE Garland and the super talented woman was far from being the ideal mom. Of course Cher, Bette Midler, Liza and Judy are the ultimate gay icons and have been for years and years.

What..you forgot JUDY~? :lucythrill: I am now reading "Greg In Hollywood" daily and I just love HIS love of Lucy. Very cheerful!

Yes, i'm so glad Joey told me about that site. Not only does he feature a Lucy show and clips from it every single Friday, but now for her 100th birthday he is featuring everything about Lucy including her kitchen sink and some of the sites mentionned on links are also doing stories on her for this very special year and resurgence in popularity. I dunno who this Greg guy is but he always has stories about people from Lucy's era and he is prominently featuring stories about the Hollywood premiere of that new Lucy exhibit, showing these old stars like Rose Marie, Joan Van Ark of Knots Landing, Allison Grim of Little House, Morgan Brittany of YMand O and Dallas fame, Rip Taylor, the movie star Ruta Lee, LOL and so so many others, who all attended the big Premiere of the Lucy tribute.

After Elton seems to be late to the party, only mentionning what Lucy said about agreing with the idea of gay rights back in 1980 in today's Weekend Meme with a pic of her too. I think it was Boy Culture that had the story of Lucy attending They're Playing Our Song, unfortunately the writer ALSO says Judy Canova was the star at the time this guy worked at The Imperial theater and that Judy, i assume this was Judy's DAUGHTER was better in the role than Lucie had been which is the very first time i ever heard anything negative about Lucie in that particular part.

Thanks so much for posting that, i live for the day i can do those myeself, after being showed how of course. So i got the magazine wrong, it was OUT, not The Advocate, i should have known i so rarely find The Advocate anywhere here downtown, but OUT is usually available and i have that issue with Lee Tannen talking about Lucy and his book about HER, not Lee Tannen(T) as mentionned in this article, LOL! Of course, in his book, Lee offers a different perspective on Lucy and gays and AIDS telling the story of how Lucy feared he'd eat at Sven Swenson's house and get Aids from using his utensils, that's what people thought back then, that you could get the illness from kissing or sharing usage of certain things. He also mentions how gary was cool to him and his friend but that Lee and other gays surrounded Lucy as they do most entertainers. One other delightful story in the book was how they all talked about this West Holywood club that played ILL reruns all night for their clientele and gary chimed n about them not getting paid for that and Lucy chiding him for even bringing that up, the douche!

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree that Lucille Ball is most certainly a gay icon. Not in the same way Cher or Bette Midler are but still she has her place. Thank you so much for sharing this nugget of information concerning Lucy and gay rights. It's always nice to hear when someone you respect and admire shares the same opinion as you do. And to be verbal about it back in the 80's is something as well. As a gay man this makes me love her all the more.

Aww, you mean Sylvia Collins got her teeth fixed for nothing? :lucythrill:

Welcome to the board!

Good one, Brock! :D

And welcome aboard, Eddie!

Yup, Greg "in Hollywood" is a big Lucy fan and was quite visibly in attendance on the night of the Hollywood Museum celebration. I really wanted to talk to him but he was running around trying to chat up and snap pics with as many celebs as possible. We did however have a brief exchange and I've meant to e-mail him to try and get a correspondence going since....maybe I'll work on that this weekend.

He seems like a real sweetheart and one of the many things I like about his blog is that he comes from a place as a fan, not one to tear people down or ridicule them or whatever... even if they have it coming! ;)

Greg in Hollywood

Good one, Brock! :D

And welcome aboard, Eddie!

Yup, Greg "in Hollywood" is a big Lucy fan and was quite visibly in attendance on the night of the Hollywood Museum celebration. I really wanted to talk to him but he was running around trying to chat up and snap pics with as many celebs as possible. We did however have a brief exchange and I've meant to e-mail him to try and get a correspondence going since....maybe I'll work on that this weekend.

He seems like a real sweetheart and one of the many things I like about his blog is that he comes from a place as a fan, not one to tear people down or ridicule them or whatever... even if they have it coming! ;)

Greg in Hollywood

Well said Joey. As for you Eddie, yes, Lucy was always surrounded by gay people so her attitude was broadminded and liberal, unlike some of her friends, the Hopes, Sinatras et al who were great fornicators and therefore always put down anyone who thought differently from them, not to mention ronnie reagan, who wouldn't even bring up the word AIDS till thousands had died needlessly. It took Liz Taylor to feel the pain of her friend Rock Hudson and her tireless work with her foundation to help eradicate this scurge to the point where people no longer need to die and have medication that can keep them alive at least here in North America, of course Africa is a different story and Bill Clinton is doing great work there to help them also.

Archived