Victoria Price on Lucille Ball and Here's Lucy

Brock

Tonight I went to a seminar given in Toronto by Victoria Price, Vincent Price's daughter, as part of commemorations marking Vincent's centennial. In her presentation she spoke about her family's history, how her grandfather unusually encouraged her father to persue the acting bug, his early days as an actor appearing in movies before taking to the theatre to hone his craft, making it as the king of horror pictures, the height of his fame, how Coral Browne was the wicked witch of Western Hell, and his work in his declining years -- particularly Edward Scissorhands. After the formal presentation and the questions posed by the moderator there was an open Q&A with the audience and naturally I asked her if she had any memories of her father doing Lucy Cuts Vincent's Price on Here's Lucy. Here's what she had to say:

"When I was a kid I wasn’t allowed to watch TV. My parents didn’t want me to become a Hollywood spoiled brat, so I was allowed to watch TV from 7:00 on and at 7:00 in California you could watch Walter Cronkite or one of the other news shows ...or I Love Lucy. So I was this huge I Love Lucy fanatic. I love I Love Lucy.

"We knew tons of celebrities but I didn’t know who any of them were because I didn’t watch TV but Lucy I was in love with. I thought she was fabulous and she was a genius. When my dad got invited to Here’s Lucy, I was like, “Can I go?! Can I go?!” It was the highlight for me because I got to sit in the front row and watch as he did the Lucy show. There is this scene where he’s playing the art expert and he’s advising her about this art purchase, so Lucy calls our house and theoretically gets my number on the phone and I’m sitting there watching it live and she says, “And how’s Victoria?” and I was like, “OH MY GOD! I’M ALIVE! LUCY KNOWS WHO I AM!” It was so exciting!

"I didn’t get to go on sets a lot because they wanted me to have a normal childhood, to my credit. In my elementary school class alone were the kids of Nat King Cole, Clark Gable, Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee, James Coburn and on and on and my parents didn’t want me to be this Hollywood kid and they wanted me to be normal and tried to isolate me from that and I give them a lot of credit. I didn’t get to go to the set a lot but Lucy was one of my favourites."

Tonight I went to a seminar given in Toronto by Victoria Price, Vincent Price's daughter, as part of commemorations marking Vincent's centennial. In her presentation she spoke about her family's history, how her grandfather unusually encouraged her father to persue the acting bug, his early days as an actor appearing in movies before taking to the theatre to hone his craft, making it as the king of horror pictures, the height of his fame, how Coral Browne was the wicked witch of Western Hell, and his work in his declining years -- particularly Edward Scissorhands. After the formal presentation and the questions posed by the moderator there was an open Q&A with the audience and naturally I asked her if she had any memories of her father doing Lucy Cuts Vincent's Price on Here's Lucy. Here's what she had to say:

"When I was a kid I wasn’t allowed to watch TV. My parents didn’t want me to become a Hollywood spoiled brat, so I was allowed to watch TV from 7:00 on and at 7:00 in California you could watch Walter Cronkite or one of the other news shows ...or I Love Lucy. So I was this huge I Love Lucy fanatic. I love I Love Lucy.

"We knew tons of celebrities but I didn’t know who any of them were because I didn’t watch TV but Lucy I was in love with. I thought she was fabulous and she was a genius. When my dad got invited to Here’s Lucy, I was like, “Can I go?! Can I go?!” It was the highlight for me because I got to sit in the front row and watch as he did the Lucy show. There is this scene where he’s playing the art expert and he’s advising her about this art purchase, so Lucy calls our house and theoretically gets my number on the phone and I’m sitting there watching it live and she says, “And how’s Victoria?” and I was like, “OH MY GOD! I’M ALIVE! LUCY KNOWS WHO I AM!” It was so exciting!

"I didn’t get to go on sets a lot because they wanted me to have a normal childhood, to my credit. In my elementary school class alone were the kids of Nat King Cole, Clark Gable, Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee, James Coburn and on and on and my parents didn’t want me to be this Hollywood kid and they wanted me to be normal and tried to isolate me from that and I give them a lot of credit. I didn’t get to go to the set a lot but Lucy was one of my favourites."

OMG Brock, what a great story, thanks so much for procuring it. BUT, what's the comment about Coral Browne?

BUT, what's the comment about Coral Browne?

Victoria said that after Vincent married Coral in the 1970s she made it very difficult for him to see her and her brother who is 22 years her senior. It seems as though Coral actively made it difficult for Vincent to see his children and Victoria said that in a way she was glad that Coral died a few years before her father as it allowed she and her brother to make up for lost time as Vincent went into his slow decline.

When the moderator asked her if she ever wished Vincent electrocuted Coral with a hairdryer in real life as he did to her in their first film together, she replied in the affirmativ. :lucythrill:

That being said, Victoria said Coral was a very good companion to Vincent and despite everything was just the right person he needed at that point in his life.

Victoria said that after Vincent married Coral in the 1970s she made it very difficult for him to see her and her brother who is 22 years her senior. It seems as though Coral actively made it difficult for Vincent to see his children and Victoria said that in a way she was glad that Coral died a few years before her father as it allowed she and her brother to make up for lost time as Vincent went into his slow decline.

When the moderator asked her if she ever wished Vincent electrocuted Coral with a hairdryer in real life as he did to her in their first film together, she replied in the affirmativ. :lucythrill:

That being said, Victoria said Coral was a very good companion to Vincent and despite everything was just the right person he needed at that point in his life.

That's what i thought you were going to say, i like the way she's fair though even though coral did what she did.

Archived