Jump to content
Brock

Lucy Sightings!

Recommended Posts

On The Golden Globe 75th Anniversary Special the other night, they showed a brief clip of Desi Jr. presenting Diana Ross with her Golden Globe for New Star of the Year. For some reason, he pronounced her name as "Deanna." Maybe Liza put him up to it. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Young Sheldon for the first time tonight and Valerie Mahaffey’s character used the word “franistan” multiple this time, this time in the context of “doohickey”.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dig this gal in Liz Taylor and Warren Beatty’s The Only Game in Town. That Nevada sun sure makes your skin soft. 

9521E0B3-03CA-44C2-8263-55BFDE6A9D17.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today on CBS News Sunday Morning, critic Rex Reed mentioned about attending an Oscars party at Polly Bergen's house where he watched the show in Bergen's bed with Paul Newman on one side and Lucy on the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rickylu said:

Today on CBS News Sunday Morning, critic Rex Reed mentioned about attending an Oscars party at Polly Bergen's house where he watched the show in Bergen's bed with Paul Newman on one side and Lucy on the other.

Now there's a Hollywood sandwich!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw the Wings episode where Antonio becomes obsessed with I Love Lucy. He initially thinks the show is mainly about Fred and Ethel. In the main plot, Brian gets involved in a very Lucy-esque scenario trying to sneak into Clint Black's hotel room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 7, 2018 at 0:20 PM, Mot Morenzi said:

I just saw the Wings episode where Antonio becomes obsessed with I Love Lucy. He initially thinks the show is mainly about Fred and Ethel. In the main plot, Brian gets involved in a very Lucy-esque scenario trying to sneak into Clint Black's hotel room. 

I never knew that was a thing! Isn't it interesting how at least three different shows (Golden Girls, Designing Women, Wings) devoted entire plot lines to characters watching I Love Lucy? Talk about cultural impact! It really is just the absolute best there ever was or ever will be. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

I never knew that was a thing! Isn't it interesting how at least three different shows (Golden Girls, Designing Women, Wings) devoted entire plot lines to characters watching I Love Lucy? Talk about cultural impact! It really is just the absolute best there ever was or ever will be. 

I know, it's great. This one was very well done, too. After watching a number of episodes, he finally says something like, "It's a great show, but there's no way someone would ever do these types of things in real life." Cut to Brian scaling the trellis to the hotel balcony. 

The opening scene was a hoot. "I just found this wonderful old show about this couple, Fred and Ethel." 

"Oh, you mean I Love Lucy."

"Who? Oh, right, the neighbor."

As an aside, Kirstie Alley makes a cameo as Rebecca from Cheers in this episode.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2018 at 0:14 AM, Mot Morenzi said:

I know, it's great. This one was very well done, too. After watching a number of episodes, he finally says something like, "It's a great show, but there's no way someone would ever do these types of things in real life." Cut to Brian scaling the trellis to the hotel balcony. 

The opening scene was a hoot. "I just found this wonderful old show about this couple, Fred and Ethel." 

"Oh, you mean I Love Lucy."

"Who? Oh, right, the neighbor."

As an aside, Kirstie Alley makes a cameo as Rebecca from Cheers in this episode.

Ugh! And it sounded so great up until mention of that bitch. :lucywow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was leafing through Orry-Kelly's long-lost autobiography Women I've Undressed (released in 2016 as a stunning coffee table book) and Lucy makes a brief mention: He praises her for giving up wagon wheel hats by the end of the 50s, which he thinks distracted from her overall look. He mentions this on connection with her appearance on the Hedda Hopper special. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I googled “wagon wheel hat” and literally got a photo of a baseball cap with a picture of wagon wheels on it. I can probably assume what they are; does she wear one in Celebrity Next Door?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Freddie2 said:

I googled “wagon wheel hat” and literally got a photo of a baseball cap with a picture of wagon wheels on it. I can probably assume what they are; does she wear one in Celebrity Next Door?

Yes, I think that's the kind he's referring to. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brock said:

I was leafing through Orry-Kelly's long-lost autobiography Women I've Undressed (released in 2016 as a stunning coffee table book) and Lucy makes a brief mention: He praises her for giving up wagon wheel hats by the end of the 50s, which he thinks distracted from her overall look. He mentions this on connection with her appearance on the Hedda Hopper special. 

There is a documentary by the same name. I think I found it on Netflix. Don't remember Lucy getting any mentions in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Luvsbway said:

There is a documentary by the same name. I think I found it on Netflix. Don't remember Lucy getting any mentions in it.

Yeah, it's only a one line deal.

Pick up the book, if you haven't already. I think you'd be in heaven. The illustrations are amazing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I’ve seen a little bit of that documentary. I remember it being very unique, as far as documentaries go. They hint at Kelly and Cart Grant having had an affair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Brock said:

John Mulaney has worked his ILL love into a mention in an SNL sketch tonight. 

I've heard so much buzz about his hosting. I've always enjoyed his stand up, as well- would you recommend his episode?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2018 at 3:39 PM, Freddie2 said:

I've heard so much buzz about his hosting. I've always enjoyed his stand up, as well- would you recommend his episode?

Yes, better than most lately. Have enjoyed Mulaney since discovering him in his not-very-good FOX short-lived sitcom with Martin Short a few seasons ago.  Funny though I must have dropped off for a moment -- a not uncommon occurence anymore trying to stay awake through SNL -- as I totally missed the ILL mention.  Dang now I'll have to go back and watch it again! :HALKING:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...