Working with Miss Ball

chedderchester

How many of you would've loved to work for Lucy on one of her shows. I would've loved to be an extra, like one of Chris's (or Kim's) boyfriends.

And all those who hated working with her and called her a b**ch because she was such a perfectionist probably just didn't want to work. She was the boss and it was her show and she had a right to be tough when she needed to be. My grandmother was the head of the maternity ward at the hospital for years and despite her being a tough boss, she was a good boss and everyone loved her. That's so Lucy. I also work for a lady like that--she may be tough at times but in a good way and she's one of the nicest people I've ever worked for.

Does anyone recall ever seeing Lucy in person during a taping of one of her shows? I know Joeysocal saw the LWL "pilot" being taped back on July 24th 1986!

I'd have loved to be an extra or something too, but I'd have probably pissed her off goofing off all the time. lol. :marionstrong:

...and you would have lasted about 15 minutes if she caught you! :lucythrill:

Seriously....she was a genius that gave 110% and expected everyone on set to give their all as well.

Tough? Yep. Serious? Yep? Loved what she did? Absolutely...and it always showed!

How many of you would've loved to work for Lucy on one of her shows. I would've loved to be an extra, like one of Chris's (or Kim's) boyfriends.

And all those who hated working with her and called her a b**ch because she was such a perfectionist probably just didn't want to work. She was the boss and it was her show and she had a right to be tough when she needed to be. My grandmother was the head of the maternity ward at the hospital for years and despite her being a tough boss, she was a good boss and everyone loved her. That's so Lucy. I also work for a lady like that--she may be tough at times but in a good way and she's one of the nicest people I've ever worked for.

Does anyone recall ever seeing Lucy in person during a taping of one of her shows? I know Joeysocal saw the LWL "pilot" being taped back on July 24th 1986!

Putty can answer about "Stone Pillow"....great stories.

Michael can answer just about everything...but read his wonderful book. It's all there.

I can answer about "Lucy Goes To NBC" (finally being released on DVD); game & talk shows and all of "Life With Lucy"...but sometime very soon. She was everything you expected and more!!

I would NEVER have wanted to work for her as any harsh word from her would have killed me, i'd rather just dream about meeting her as a fan instead, lots less pressure. One day, in heaven, it'll happen!

Yeah, that actually sounds like me too. I'd get so nervous and say something stupid and she'd have been like, "Security!" or "Schpilkes!" LOL :lucyhorror:

Putty can answer about "Stone Pillow"....great stories.

Thanks, Rick. I am so delighted to be back in touch with Lee Schiller and Rose Leiman Goldemberg! Lee always had nice things to say about Lucy. Lucy was very good to him on the set of "Stone Pillow". Lucy was leary of people jumping at her with autograph books, so he always made sure she was aware of a fan wanting to meet her. I was brought up to her for my autographs (one for me and one for my sister) as they were taking a break from filming the Supermarket scene. Lucy of course was in full Florabelle regalia and I was so nervous I could just squeak out "Hi Lucy! You look wonderful!" She kinda rolled her eyes! I was Lee's guest at the "wrap party" held at the Limelight Disco in NYC. Lucy greeted me with a handshake and a "Hello, Darling..it's so nice to see you again!" What a thrill! I still have a pic of Lucy that Lee snapped the night of the party. She was trying on a very fancy dress, deciding what to wear. ;)

Thanks, Rick. I am so delighted to be back in touch with Lee Schiller and Rose Leiman Goldemberg! Lee always had nice things to say about Lucy. Lucy was very good to him on the set of "Stone Pillow". Lucy was leary of people jumping at her with autograph books, so he always made sure she was aware of a fan wanting to meet her. I was brought up to her for my autographs (one for me and one for my sister) as they were taking a break from filming the Supermarket scene. Lucy of course was in full Florabelle regalia and I was so nervous I could just squeak out "Hi Lucy! You look wonderful!" She kinda rolled her eyes! I was Lee's guest at the "wrap party" held at the Limelight Disco in NYC. Lucy greeted me with a handshake and a "Hello, Darling..it's so nice to see you again!" What a thrill! I still have a pic of Lucy that Lee snapped the night of the party. She was trying on a very fancy dress, deciding what to wear. ;)

OMG she actually remembered you? That is one great story kiddo!

OMG she actually remembered you? That is one great story kiddo!

She sure did, which made it all the more special. A few months ago I started to wonder what happened to the dress I was wearing that night. I knew I'd never throw out/donate the dress I had on when I met Lucille Ball! But my closets here proved fruitless. When I was at Mom's recently I came across a bag of clothing. I recognized an 80's skirt on top. I reached down past it, and lo and behold I pulled THE DRESS right up and out of the bag! I nearly fainted! It's still a very pretty dress. Off white lacy knit with silky ribbons running through it. I wore a double strand of pearls with it. Went as a LADY! :lucythrill:

Was the supermarket scene when she went to get Carrie's pills while Carrie was practically getting raped? That is so cool that you met Lucy! :HALKING: I probably would've fainted, lol. And during the shooting of that movie which was during a heat wave, she probably never lost her happy work spirit because that is what she loved doing!

She sure did, which made it all the more special. A few months ago I started to wonder what happened to the dress I was wearing that night. I knew I'd never throw out/donate the dress I had on when I met Lucille Ball! But my closets here proved fruitless. When I was at Mom's recently I came across a bag of clothing. I recognized an 80's skirt on top. I reached down past it, and lo and behold I pulled THE DRESS right up and out of the bag! I nearly fainted! It's still a very pretty dress. Off white lacy knit with silky ribbons running through it. I wore a double strand of pearls with it. Went as a LADY! :lucythrill:

I'd be framing that outfit. lol

Lucy shook my hand, then kind of held it for a second or two. She MAY have brushed the sleeve. But I can't remember. I don't think I had that dress dry-cleaned, even. I only wore it the one time! :lucysmirk:

One time worn and then retired? Sounds like a very Queen Elizabeth thing to do, LOL! Your British roots i guess.

• 2 months later...

One time worn and then retired? Sounds like a very Queen Elizabeth thing to do, LOL! Your British roots i guess.

I doubt anyone will see this, but do you believe any of this? Someone told me, that he read in a book, that during the taping of "Lucy Calls the President," that she was being a total b***h towards Viv off camera, and told her that she looked like a cow in anything she wore. Along with all those other Jack Benny and Danny Kaye stories. I find this very hard to believe because I read her autobiography (but it only goes up to 1963) and she and Viv hit it off right at the start, so I don't believe any of that "I'm gonna learn to love that b***h" nonsense.

I doubt anyone will see this, but do you believe any of this? Someone told me, that he read in a book, that during the taping of "Lucy Calls the President," that she was being a total b***h towards Viv off camera, and told her that she looked like a cow in anything she wore. Along with all those other Jack Benny and Danny Kaye stories. I find this very hard to believe because I read her autobiography (but it only goes up to 1963) and she and Viv hit it off right at the start, so I don't believe any of that "I'm gonna learn to love that b***h" nonsense.

I think those stories were exaggerated myself. Viv and Lucy constantly ripped on each other, that's just the way they related to each other. I do that with some of my closest friends. You know that someone probably heard Viv and Lucy joking around and immediately turned it into something more. It was no doubt one of those asshole men hanging around who resented Lucy anyway. I can't see Lucy treating Viv that way in 1977, especially after Viv got cancer again during the filming of that special. That's ruhtarded. :lucydisgust:

If Lucy and Viv hated each other so much, like these stories would have you believe, why would Lucy keep asking Viv back to guest on her shows and specials? Why would she have her over to her house and go on vacations with her? She was devastated when Viv died.

Archived