Has "Lucy" lost her lustre?

A question for you all -- do you think "Lucy", whether the person or the various shows which bear her name, have lost their lustre over the years with audiences in general? Obviously she hasn't lost her lustre to us -- why else would we be here? -- but what of the wider world?

There was less of an emphasis last year on I Love Lucy's 60th anniversary, compared to the near hysteria that surrounded the 50th. A decade ago, there were television spectaculars paying tribute to the show, TV Land went all out on a huge marketing campaign to promote their aquision of the show (even going so far as to recreate an original opening or two), and an exhibition on the show toured North America. Aside from a few new products here and there, and the cover of Mother Jones magazine, commemorations of ILL's 60th came and went with barely a ripple.

On the other hand, Lucille Ball's 100th Birthday garnered worldwide attention. Her birthday dominated morning news programs, a new world record was set, and Jamestown had its biggest audience in years. Outside of the 100th birthday hooplah, books still continue to be published on Lucy indicating that the market is still there, and DVD sales, to all accounts, seem to be doing spectacularly (even surprisingly) well. We're really living in a Lucy DVD renaissance.

But do you think the Love for Lucy is on the wane? Is it growing? What do you think can be done to maintain interest?

Would colourisation of ILL, LDCH, and the first season of TLS make the show more accessible to today's audience?

So much for a nice, peaceful Sunday! You just had to open that door! Well... here we go! lucyhorror.JPG

Don't worry, Joe, Claude isn't coming back. LOL

I don't think she's lost her luster. I don't have any good ideas as to why right now, but I think Lucy will be as popular forever as Elvis and Marilyn. There will always be a market for her.

But seriously ...you bring up valid points and a fair question.

To be fair however, I don't think I personally looked at the two events separately even though they were two different events but since they "dovetailed" and blended together rather nicely, it seemed to me just to be one nice year where multiple "celebrations", if you will occurred primarily because of/for the same individual.

I also perhaps have a different perspective since we had a few events here in LA noting either/both occasions and again, they've sort of "melded" together as wonderful reasons to get the Lucy folks and the Lucy contingent together again, sadly, perhaps for the last significant occasion(s)!

I'm thinking of the two Hollywood Museum celebrations, the Lucy in London screening & panel at the Paley Center, the TV Guide display and the rare Lucy appearances screenings at the Paley and Lucie and Desi Jr. panel at the Paley Center and the hit stage play 'I Love Lucy' "Live" which ran for months and is reportedly on its way to (off?) Broadway. There was also some book signing by a reported "fan" -- probably some kook, but still, guess we should count it.

Of course there was the Jamestown two different events too.

Have I forgotten anything?? professor.JPG

Don't worry, Joe, Claude isn't coming back. LOL

I don't think she's lost her luster. I don't have any good ideas as to why right now, but I think Lucy will be as popular forever as Elvis and Marilyn. There will always be a market for her.

I don't know what you're talking about!! lucyhorror.JPG And how do you know?? lucythrill.JPG

But do you think the Love for Lucy is on the wane? Is it growing? What do you think can be done to maintain interest?

I'm in my early 50's and can remember the first run broadcasts of the later years of "The Lucy Show" and all 6 seasons of "Here's Lucy". Now that those are being released on dvd, I will often play these show to my younger relatives who are in their mid- to late teens.

I should mention: I DON'T show every episode. (Never anything with a phony gorilla in it!) For example, I'll show the Shower Installation episode, the Antenna Installation episode, and Lucy Goes to Washington from Season 1 of TLS. I also quite like the St. Patrick's Day episode from Season 2 of TLS. The interplay between Lucy and Gale Gordon, trying to remember the last name of Oscar the Cleaner is priceless.

But the episode that seems to get the best response from my younger relatives is one of the episodes from Season 1 of HL. That's the episode where Lucy and Gale literally rip apart his home trying to fix that light switch. By far, my younger relatives think that is the funniest thing they have seen on tv.

So to sum up, we older folks can keep Lucy's legacy alive by showing some of the classic episodes to the younger generation (and by keeping the gorillas under wraps) !

I think it's harder for new, young fans to get into I Love Lucy. It's not on TV at a time where they could watch it. I gave a speech about Lucy to a large group of schoolchildren a couple months ago. I think a majority of them knew who Lucy was. The kids seemed to find the clips I showed very funny, but I don't think they watch the show. If it was on a major cable channel in a good timeslot, I think they would watch.

I'm not really surprised that there wasn't a huge 60th anniversary hoopla. I assume 60 years isn't considered as big a deal as 50.

There's a play about the last days of Judy Garland on Broadway now and there's been a lot of press about whether or not Garland is still an iconic figure. It's really a shame that people don't think so.

I'm in my early 50's and can remember the first run broadcasts of the later years of "The Lucy Show" and all 6 seasons of "Here's Lucy". Now that those are being released on dvd, I will often play these show to my younger relatives who are in their mid- to late teens.

I should mention: I DON'T show every episode. (Never anything with a phony gorilla in it!) For example, I'll show the Shower Installation episode, the Antenna Installation episode, and Lucy Goes to Washington from Season 1 of TLS. I also quite like the St. Patrick's Day episode from Season 2 of TLS. The interplay between Lucy and Gale Gordon, trying to remember the last name of Oscar the Cleaner is priceless.

But the episode that seems to get the best response from my younger relatives is one of the episodes from Season 1 of HL. That's the episode where Lucy and Gale literally rip apart his home trying to fix that light switch. By far, my younger relatives think that is the funniest thing they have seen on tv.

So to sum up, we older folks can keep Lucy's legacy alive by showing some of the classic episodes to the younger generation (and by keeping the gorillas under wraps) !

Good for you! I'm curious though .... how do you get them to actually sit and watch it? Whenever I try to "share the love" when home visiting (yes I always take some of my DVD collection with me to try and keep my sanity....but that's another story! ;)) they bolt the room like their ass is on fire or something! lucythrill.JPG

Good for you! I'm curious though .... how do you get them to actually sit and watch it? Whenever I try to "share the love" when home visiting (yes I always take some of my DVD collection with me to try and keep my sanity....but that's another story! ;)) they bolt the room like their ass is on fire or something! lucythrill.JPG

I have the same problem with my family and some friends. They think the humor is outdated and stupid. That's when you chain them to the basement and force them to watch episodes. At least that's what I do. :peachonthebeach:

As far as the world is outside of us, "I Love Lucy" still has the love for the masses. Every video outlet store that I have been to "Barnes And Noble" and "Target" has the complete "I Love Lucy" on their shelves. Two local stations in Los Angeles has "I Love Lucy" aired each week, one on the weekdays and the other on the weekends. Hallmark has expanded their coverage of "I Love Lucy" on the weekends and has them shown on the other five days as well. Just recently Hallmark has had two marathons of "The Lucy And Desi Comedy Hour" and coming next weekend there will be one for "I Love Lucy". As far as "I Love Lucy" goes it still has a great audience out there and the popularity. The gift stores or novelty shops has oodles of "I Love Lucy" merchandise.

Now the only problem I find with Lucy's popularity is with "The Lucy Show" and "Here's Lucy". There are no cable stations in Los Angeles or local stations that are showing either one. The last time "The Lucy Show" was shown was on "Nick At Nite" in the 1990's and "Here Lucy" was shown on a UHF local station in Los Angeles during the 1980's. I have been wondering in the last month whether the ratings for "The Lucy Show" on "Nick At Nite" in the 1990's was poor so it wasn't followed up on "TVLand". I have also noticed during this "vintage television period" that alot of Desilu produced shows aren't on alot of these new stations like Antenna. Is the price of syndication for these shows to high for these stations? The only Lucy we get on AntennaTV is when she guest starred on "The Jack Benny Show". I am guessing "The Jack Benny Show" and "The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show" are very low in syndication cost or I wouldn't be seeing them.

Merchandise note: no merchandise for either "The Lucy Show" or "Here's Lucy". The DVDs for "The Lucy Show" and "Here's Lucy" have been devalued in pricing for over the counter sales at "Target".

Trying to show "The Lucy Show" to my family is like Ricky showing home movies to Fred and Ethel. It is funny how gabby they get in changing the subject so they don't have to be subjected to my viewing request. :marionstrong: So I have decided to not to push the envelope until my next birthday. That is when I will stick it to them!!! They always ask me what do want for your birthday? I GOTCHA YOU!!!:lucyshy:

As far as the world is outside of us, "I Love Lucy" still has the love for the masses. Every video outlet store that I have been to "Barnes And Noble" and "Target" has the complete "I Love Lucy" on their shelves. Two local stations in Los Angeles has "I Love Lucy" aired each week, one on the weekdays and the other on the weekends. Hallmark has expanded their coverage of "I Love Lucy" on the weekends and has them shown on the other five days as well. Just recently Hallmark has had two marathons of "The Lucy And Desi Comedy Hour" and coming next weekend there will be one for "I Love Lucy". As far as "I Love Lucy" goes it still has a great audience out there and the popularity. The gift stores or novelty shops has oodles of "I Love Lucy" merchandise.

Now the only problem I find with Lucy's popularity is with "The Lucy Show" and "Here's Lucy". There are no cable stations in Los Angeles or local stations that are showing either one. The last time "The Lucy Show" was shown was on "Nick At Nite" in the 1990's and "Here Lucy" was shown on a UHF local station in Los Angeles during the 1980's. I have been wondering in the last month whether the ratings for "The Lucy Show" on "Nick At Nite" in the 1990's was poor so it wasn't followed up on "TVLand". I have also noticed during this "vintage television period" that alot of Desilu produced shows aren't on alot of these new stations like Antenna. Is the price of syndication for these shows to high for these stations? The only Lucy we get on AntennaTV is when she guest starred on "The Jack Benny Show". I am guessing "The Jack Benny Show" and "The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show" are very low in syndication cost or I wouldn't be seeing them.

Merchandise note: no merchandise for either "The Lucy Show" or "Here's Lucy". The DVDs for "The Lucy Show" and "Here's Lucy" have been devalued in pricing for over the counter sales at "Target".

Good points. I'm wondering if perhaps the problem with Antenna TV is that they mostly seem to show Screen Gems (now Sony) classic product, most of which (but not all) is in color? At least the shows I keep track of and/or know that are on, like AITF, Maude (not currently, darn it!), Flying Nun, Monkees, Hazel, Partridge Family, Dennis the Menace, etc.

I still think we need a Desilu cable channel since there's so much filmed product sitting in vaults rotting that has not only not been seen in years but probably hasn't been transferred to digital media so there's a real possibility that the film(s) aren't being taken care of and are in too bad a shape to use/sell! What a waste! I'd love to see Our Miss Brooks, December Bride, Ann Southern, Desilu Playhouse and many other titles that I've never seen or haven't seen since I was a kid (and sure can't remember!).

lucyhorror.JPG

I have the same problem with my family and some friends. They think the humor is outdated and stupid. That's when you chain them to the basement and force them to watch episodes. At least that's what I do. :peachonthebeach:

I have the same prob with my family too..they liked it at the time but find it outdated now I guess. She is TIMELESS!

Maude (not currently, darn it!)

They were currently playing "Maude" just recently from 7:00P.M. to 8:00P.M. and instead the local 5 news came on. I checked the AntennaTV website on the schedule and they had "Maude" listed for that spot and never mentioned the local news service. It was really confusing when they announced on AntennaTV that "Maude" would be coming up next and then the local newservice would come on. Fortunately, "Maude" isn't being singled out, they have been doing that to other shows as well in that timeslot and at 11:00P.M.

As a 23 year old male, i can say whole-hearty that my generation loves Lucy. We LITERALLY grew up with her in the 90's, thanks to reruns on Nick at Nite. I can remember staying up late (Sometimes i had to sneak lol), watching it, then talking about it with friends, the next day. And that goes for all the other shows that aired on the block, throughout that era. Bewitched, I dream of Genie Etc. We loved all of them.

HOWEVER, we were also the last generation to grow up in a world where the internet and digital media weren't the dominate forces that they are today. Because of that, I can't speak for the kids born post 2000. Things change drastically, during the 2000's.

Good points. I'm wondering if perhaps the problem with Antenna TV is that they mostly seem to show Screen Gems (now Sony) classic product, most of which (but not all) is in color? At least the shows I keep track of and/or know that are on, like AITF, Maude (not currently, darn it!), Flying Nun, Monkees, Hazel, Partridge Family, Dennis the Menace, etc.

AntennaTV is almost entirely made up of the Sony library, but they air a lot of black and white shows: Bachelor Father, Father Knows Best, Leave It to Beaver, McHale's Navy, Burns and Allen, The Jack Benny Program, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and plenty of black and white movies. I think there's more black and white on Antenna TV than any other channel.

I think Maude is currently only on Sundays.

As a 23 year old male, i can say whole-hearty that my generation loves Lucy. We LITERALLY grew up with her in the 90's, thanks to reruns on Nick at Nite. I can remember staying up late (Sometimes i had to sneak lol), watching it, then talking about it with friends, the next day. And that goes for all the other shows that aired on the block, throughout that era. Bewitched, I dream of Genie Etc. We loved all of them.

HOWEVER, we were also the last generation to grow up in a world where the internet and digital media weren't the dominate forces that they are today. Because of that, I can't speak for the kids born post 2000. Things change drastically, during the 2000's.

Nick At Nite was a lifesaver for those of us that wanted to watch "The Lucy Show". During those years I didn't have cable and a close friend of mine sent me tapes of those shows around the year 2000.

AntennaTV is almost entirely made up of the Sony library

Initially. Since mid-2011, it's been a mix of Sony and Universal.

From NBC/Universal's library...

Leave It to Beaver, McHale's Navy, The Jack Benny Program, Alfred Hitchcock Presents...

Other NBC/Universal titles on AntennaTV are DRAGNET, ADAM-12, SUSPENSE and IT TAKES A THIEF. Recent addition WKRP is from 20th/Fox.

Nick At Nite was a lifesaver for those of us that wanted to watch "The Lucy Show". During those years I didn't have cable and a close friend of mine sent me tapes of those shows around the year 2000.

I am 25 and grew up with Lucy reruns. I first remember The Lucy Show on Nick at Nite and too this day it is as classic to me as I Love Lucy which I also caught in daytime reruns and even occasionally on the local CBS station as a fill-in. I agree that the next generation might know less about Lucy or reruns. They go on Youtube for their entertainment and get hook on different shows. It is crazy what a few years can do to the world.

Of course to some people, especially my age they want to see more of the sexual, drug ridden, and dry sarcastic comedy of today. As funny as that can be classic comedy will always win in my heart. So glad I got exposed to it. But as for not as much promotion for the 60th anniversary. To the world 25, 50, 75, and 100 are the big years to celebrate. Plus with Lucy's 100th this last year, that seemed more like a big deal to the world than the 60th.

How do I know Claude's not coming back? He told me. Sick of the anonymous whiners who complained about him for the last time I guess. :lucythrill:

I'm just praying Claude doesn't think I'm one of the anonymous whiners...I'm not! It's a sad thing in this country, TODAY, that people choose to remain 'anonymous' - we should be able to speak UP, in a non-threatening way, of course, Secret Service might be 'listening'....

I, for one, wish Claude would come back; he certainly 'spiced up' this Lounge! I hope you are listening, Claude!!!! COME BACK! You are EVERY BIT AS IMPORTANT TO THIS LOUNGE AS ANYONE ELSE....

Along those lines: everyone around here is talking about a new advertisement on television: "SHUT THE FRONT DOOR...." I believe that line is fitting here.... Respectfully submitted....JK

I'm just praying Claude doesn't think I'm one of the anonymous whiners...I'm not! It's a sad thing in this country, TODAY, that people choose to remain 'anonymous' - we should be able to speak UP, in a non-threatening way, of course, Secret Service might be 'listening'....

I, for one, wish Claude would come back; he certainly 'spiced up' this Lounge! I hope you are listening, Claude!!!! COME BACK! You are EVERY BIT AS IMPORTANT TO THIS LOUNGE AS ANYONE ELSE....

Along those lines: everyone around here is talking about a new advertisement on television: "SHUT THE FRONT DOOR...." I believe that line is fitting here.... Respectfully submitted....JK

Nope, we have a pretty good idea. I agree with you totally, Joyce, and I miss Claude too. He made things more exciting around here, that's for sure. Too bad he was run off by a couple killjoys. <_<:angry:

Interesting question, Brock. I think people that appreciate good comedy will always admire Lucy, especially if they start with watching I Love Lucy. I never watched Nick at Nite but am thrilled to learn that so many here were exposed to Lucy there. That said, I agree with what Arissa4ever & Will said about the internet. Not since cable TV have there been so many choices vying for our entertainment attention.

With all the Lucy DVD series being released, sales must very good. When you think about it, the fact that we still celebrate a 60 year old black & white sitcom is amazing. I think the real test of her lustre might be how much hoopla is bestowed upon the 75th anniversary, or even the 100th.

Colorising might help to draw in younger viewers but I doubt it will happen because of the expense involved & the fact that there is no guarantee they will sell enough since the entire ILL DVD set has already been released. Sadly, I think in a generation or two, if enough younger people don't fall in love with Lucy, she will no longer enjoy such popularity. And because so many of the younger generation play online more than they watch old sitcoms, I think that is inevitable.

I thought it was quiet around here -- no posts from Claude lately. Next to Brock who started this lounge for us, I always considered him to be Lucy's biggest fan here. C'mon back Claude, the Lounge is not the same without you.

(Maybe those who don't agree with everything he writes could just scroll past his posts without reading them. That way all of us Lucy fans can enjoy celebrating her together.)

Archived