The Official LUCY ON BLU-RAY Thread!

WELL!

If folks can stand it...here is yet another great review, this one from DVD Talk, perhaps my favorite site for DVD, Blu and theatrical released reviews.

They -- not surprisingly -- give it its highest rating, designating it worthy of its "DVD Talk Collector Series"!!!

Here's their ratings for each category: 

CONTENT:  4 Stars (out of possible 5)

VIDEO:  4.5

AUDIO: 4

EXTRAS: 5

REPLAY:  4 (given the above, shouldn't it be a "5"??!)

ADVICE:  DVD Talk Collector Series

As the article is quite lengthy, I won't quote it verbatim however one of my favorite lines in it is "....And, as with Ball's other two long-running series complete in DVD format (The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy), this is packed to the gills with worthwhile and very enlightening extra features. It's one of the best Blu-ray releases of 2014."

For the review in its entirety:  http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/63673/i-love-lucy-ultimate-season-one/

Site:  http://www.dvdtalk.com/

On my way to pick up my Blu-Ray player and my copy today!I think the most fulfilling thing is being able to see the shows as they were viewed that night! Amazing experience for those of us who like to have that nostalgic feeling of going back in time!

I also heard that the extras are even clear and crisp!! Cant wait!

On my way to pick up my Blu-Ray player and my copy today!I think the most fulfilling thing is being able to see the shows as they were viewed that night! Amazing experience for those of us who like to have that nostalgic feeling of going back in time!

I also heard that the extras are even clear and crisp!! Cant wait!

Hope you like the set!  What you describe -- having to buy BOTH the Blu-ray set AND a Blu-ray player is happening to more people than I would have expected... I bought a Blu- player a year or so ago, and thought I was the last kid on the block to do so... But a goodly number of people I have spoken to regarding the new LUCY set have told me they hope to see it -- someday -- once they upgrade their system... UGH...

• Like 1

Hope you like the set!  What you describe -- having to buy BOTH the Blu-ray set AND a Blu-ray player is happening to more people than I would have expected... I bought a Blu- player a year or so ago, and thought I was the last kid on the block to do so... But a goodly number of people I have spoken to regarding the new LUCY set have told me they hope to see it -- someday -- once they upgrade their system... UGH...

I did the same thing; bought Player and discs this last weekend. :)

The UPSIDE is a decent Blu-Ray player can be had for $50 bucks or so and it can not only supplant your current DVD player, it will -- due to technological wizardry I can't explain -- "upscale" your regular DVDs to look even BETTER than they do now, so you don't have to have two separate machines if you don't want/have to. 

Plus, many models also enable you to stream material from various sources -- varies by make, model etc. so check first to make sure -- NetFlix, YouTube, Hulu, Pandora and many other various streaming sources for audio as well as video.  Some models also play your music CDs as well (but check first to make sure before you get it home!).

Also bear in mind, despite the downfall of major chains like Wherehouse and Blockbuster, among others, where you could previously rent DVDs and Blu-Rays (in store and online), there are still some online sites like Netflix where you can not only rent DVDs and Blu Rays via postal mail, they stream many titles -- TV shows as well as movies, etc. -- as well (as long as your particular machine has that featured capability).

Also, I don't know how prevalent they are throughout the rest of the country, but here in California there's been an explosion of RedBox kiosks, primarily it seems at local grocery stores and 7-11 stores, where much like an ATM, you simply walk up to the vending machine and "order" your disc -- again, they have DVDs and Blu-Rays -- and it spits it out in a matter of moments. The current rental prices are quite reasonable too, last I looked I think it was $1.25 per day for DVDs and $1.50 for Blu-Rays; they also have video games but since I have no interest in that I didn't pay attention to what they cost.  (You do have to set up an account online prior to first use but that only takes a few minutes, then you're good to go.)

Trust me kids, this is one cool device which can do many things...and I've found it well worth the minor investment! ;)

I got a Samsung player in Dec and am amazed at the upscale on it but does anyone else's player make a ton of noise? Mine is loud when it engages the disk. Never had a DVD player this loud.

That I haven't encountered (mine's a Sony) but if it works okay .....? Or is it so loud it's distracting?? Is it too late to return it for another one?? :vanda:

It doesn't make noise while playing just after you a pick an option. It just engages the disk reading thing loudly.

Mine's a Panasonic and does the same thing. When a disc is loading or getting ready to play, the player sounds like it's ready to take flight.

Wow! Sure glad MINE doesn't have this issue!!! :HALKING:

To TJW, and/or andbody else affiliated/associated with the "I Love Lucy": Ultimate Season 1 (Blu-ray) release:

First, and foremost, let me just say what a spectacular and "wundaful" job you've dog on the "I Love Lucy": Ultimate Season 1 (Blu-ray)! I love it, and can't wait for the forthcoming seasons to be released. I hope they get the same, "Treatment, Ricky! Treatment" that they deserve, which I know that they will.

I just had a few questions maybe you'd be able to answer for me. First off, what're the chances of anymore colorized episodes ending up on any of the upcoming releases? I know that the "LA at Last" episode was colorized for one of the Loving Lucy Conventions, but according to Gregg Oppenheimer, CBS lost the original master copy, and the only other copy is on VHS, which Gregg has. I was wondering if this could possibly be redone, like the Christmas Show/Special, and be a special feature on a future Blu-ray release.

I know that colorizing episodes is probably 'spensive, but what if certain scenes from certain episodes could be colorized, as part of a special bonus feature for each seasons episodes, or classic scenes/clips, from classic episode. I've always wanted them to redo that montage of colorized scenes, that appeared at the beginning of the Columbia House VHS's/DVDs, as well as the other DVDs. Only this time, the characters, and the backgrounds will be colorized, either using the same scenes/episodes, or different ones.  I was also thinking something along the lines of a "Colorized Classics" Episode Compilation, either with fully colorized episodes, and/or colorized scenes from classic episodes. 

Maybe a new "I Love Lucy" Tribute Music Video, could be created, like the one that Weird Al did, in the early '90s, featureing brand new colorized scenes, as well as every musical number/performance/song featured on "I Love Lucy"

What are the chances of there being more colorized episodes future Ultimate Season Blu-ray DVD releases? I was very impressed at how the onset color home movie footage looked. I thought there were going to be more still photos, in the photo galleries.  I wonder if any color still photographs will will be on any forthcoming releases. What do you think? 

"I get ideas," what can I say?

What are the chances of there being more colorized episodes future Ultimate Season Blu-ray DVD releases? I was very impressed at how the onset color home movie footage looked. I thought there were going to be more still photos, in the photo galleries.  I wonder if any color still photographs will will be on any forthcoming releases. What do you think? 

We are always discussing various items to be included on future releases, and "colorized episodes" is certainly one of the ideas that we have discussed. No final decisions have been made, however... As for color stills, sadly we do not have many. Most of the publicity pictures were done in black-and-white because that is what the newspapers and magazines wanted back in the 1950s. Color photography was still relatively expensive, and -- except for magazine covers -- was seldom used. Most of what exists from that period are portrait shots, rather than "stills" from the episodes themselves...