The Official LUCY ON BLU-RAY Thread!

WELL!

So unlike last year, none of my local Target or Walmart stores are (yet) carrying this product so it's online I go; hopefully still priced "discounted" enough that it's at least about half off!!

Any one else received it and have any comments, reviews, thoughts on the finished product?? The few reviews I've been able to find online are just as glowing as they were for the first one, so despite the fact the suggested retail price point is too high and it's next to impossible to find these in "brick & mortar" stores, let's hope it does well enough to ensure that CB$ continues to release the series (including the 13 hour-longs) in its entirety! :blink:

• Like 1

I should have jumped on that $57 but was waiting on pay day.

Same here: the best I could do -- which was just a little over 50% off that I was hoping for -- was about $64 (plus tax & shipping, natch) via DVD Planet, who was also having a great sale price on a couple other titles I've wanted for awhile, 2 blu-rays for about $10 a piece (of if they were all that inexpensive!!), so while I "splurged " more than I should have, I did get pretty good "bank for my buck" considering what I'm getting.

Now I just hope it arrives by next weekend so I have plenty of time to enjoy its delights!! :HALKING:

I got it last Tuesday from DeepDiscount. The episodes are gorgeous; the special features are not as exciting as the first set's (with all the rebroadcast scenes, the makeup test, 35mm pilot, etc.). But it's another labor of love that I hope everyone purchases -- no matter the price. I personally never want to watch the show without the original commercials/openings ever again.

• Like 1

Here's another great (for the most part) review for the newest Lucy-on-Blu release:

B00WGEAK4O.jpg

Content: 4.5 Stars out of 5

Video: 4.5 Stars out of 5

Audio: 4 Stars out of 5

Extras: 5 Stars out of 5

Replay: 4 Stars out of 5

Advice:  Highly Recommended

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/68489/i-love-lucy-the-ultimate-season-2/

Another land heard from, again with an outstanding review! 

Here's a summary of blu-raydefinition.com's ratings:

The Series

5 Discs (out of 5)

Video Quality

4 Discs (out of 5)

Audio Quality

4 Discs (out of 5)

Supplemental Materials

4.5 Discs (out of 5)

The Definitive Word

Overall Rating:

4.5 Discs (out of 5)

The cool thing about this review is 1) they cover the bonus features in great detail, by disc and 2) LOADED with cool screen caps, including several from the "original" B&W and newly-(re)colorized "Job Switching" episode, which invites comparison as to which is the preferred individual choice for folks.

I-Love-Lucy-Ultimate-S2-Job-Switching-He

I-Love-Lucy-Ultimate-S2-Job-Switching-Co

If after seeing these several examples of crystal-clear screen shots ANYONE is on the fence about investing in this fine release, I'd say you are then probably due to have your head examined! :blink:

Enjoy!

http://www.blu-raydefinition.com/reviews/i-love-lucy-ultimate-season-2-blu-ray-review.html

• 4 weeks later...

I just want to say again how fascinating it is to watch these shows the way they originally aired. Lucy's Show Biz Swan Song was presented without any commercial interruption. There's the one commercial at the end and it's followed by the Santa tag scene rerun. I also never realized the Santa tag was edited a little bit in this rerun. They cut when they are patting each other's pillows, but picks up when Fred says he's not wearing a pillow. I'm surprised they didn't have a middle commercial since the episode was originally running short or maybe it was running short because they weren't going to run a middle commercial.

• Like 1

I just want to say again how fascinating it is to watch these shows the way they originally aired. Lucy's Show Biz Swan Song was presented without any commercial interruption. There's the one commercial at the end and it's followed by the Santa tag scene rerun. I also never realized the Santa tag was edited a little bit in this rerun. They cut when they are patting each other's pillows, but picks up when Fred says he's not wearing a pillow. I'm surprised they didn't have a middle commercial since the episode was originally running short or maybe it was running short because they weren't going to run a middle commercial.

Yes, we were fascinated by that episode, too -- and by the fact that instead of the middle and regular closing commercial they had the chairman of the board of Philip Morris speak directly to the audience about the show, etc. He seems to "real," as opposed to being a slick, polished company spokesman... Finding these interesting "historical nuggets" has made  this project so much fun!

• 5 weeks later...

QUESTION: Does anybody on here have the "I Love Lucy" Season 2 Blu-ray, and is capable of taking screenshots, directly from the Blu-ray, using a program/software. I'm not looking for somebody to take it with a digital camera, and/or a cell phone. I'mm looking for a screenshot, and/or a Print-Screen. All I need is one image. Any information would be appreciated. 

• 2 months later...

TJW, How have the sales been for the Season Two Blu-Ray? Has the success of the recent Christmas special influenced the production and development of Season Three? These sets are phenomenally well made; I bought Season Two right when it came out, and I'll do the same for the next release!

We absolutely must get the rest of Lucy's shows in these archival packages!

I agree but sadly I don't think sales of any of the CBS sitcoms on Blu (Lucy, Honeymooners & Andy Griffith) have done well, due mostly to their exorbitant initial "suggested retail prices"; I mean how many "average" fans out there can justify a single-season release set at a price point of over $125???

To add insult to injury, you can now pick up (last time I checked Amazon) the same titles above for only $25...while the 2nd season release -- and so far, the only one that's seen a follow-up release! -- is currently discounted but still a hefty $75.

Additionally, I can't help wonder whether the fact that the series has already been released and re-released over and over in countless forms has hurt sales of this WUNDAFUL product?  As many of you can relate, some of us have ILL already many times over, on VHS and DVD in multiple forms/versions/releases, not to mention LaserDisc (remember that one??) and now BD. 

Lest anyone think I'm knocking these stellar and yes, dare I say it, ULTIMATE packages, I'm not and I fervently hope that they continue... but I think realistically for that to happen, CBS needs to "get with the program" and try to lower their "suggested retail" prices a little more down to earth. :HALKING:

• 5 weeks later...

I agree but sadly I don't think sales of any of the CBS sitcoms on Blu (Lucy, Honeymooners & Andy Griffith) have done well, due mostly to their exorbitant initial "suggested retail prices"; I mean how many "average" fans out there can justify a single-season release set at a price point of over $125???

To add insult to injury, you can now pick up (last time I checked Amazon) the same titles above for only $25...while the 2nd season release -- and so far, the only one that's seen a follow-up release! -- is currently discounted but still a hefty $75.

Additionally, I can't help wonder whether the fact that the series has already been released and re-released over and over in countless forms has hurt sales of this WUNDAFUL product?  As many of you can relate, some of us have ILL already many times over, on VHS and DVD in multiple forms/versions/releases, not to mention LaserDisc (remember that one??) and now BD. 

Lest anyone think I'm knocking these stellar and yes, dare I say it, ULTIMATE packages, I'm not and I fervently hope that they continue... but I think realistically for that to happen, CBS needs to "get with the program" and try to lower their "suggested retail" prices a little more down to earth. :HALKING:

UPDATE:

For those who still haven't taken the plunge and acquired any of these stellar Blu-ray releases because of their initial high cost upon release, at this moment Amazon has the following titles at these pretty Amaz-ing heavily discounted prices:

I Love Lucy: The Ultimate Season 2:  $55.99

• List Price: $129.99
  • You Save: $74.00 (57%)

I Love Lucy: The Ultimate Season 1: $22.69

• List Price: $117.99
  • You Save: $95.30 (81%)

Honeymooners: Classic 39 Episodes: $25.69

• List Price: $121.99
  • You Save: $96.30 (79%)
Andy Griffith Show: Complete Season 1: $19.27
  • List Price: $121.99
  • You Save: $102.72 (84%)

:lucythrill: :lucythrill: :lucythrill:

• 2 months later...

Season 2 Blu Ray is on sale for $31 at Deep Discount. Free shipping. This is more like the price I was waiting on.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/i-love-lucy-the-ultimate-season-two/032429225153

Yup, much more like it! Cheapest I've heard of yet for Season 2.... I'd say go for it (you won't be sorry!!)! :peachonthebeach: