New Lucy Books

Mister Hepburn

Even though I despise the writings of Darwin Porter, I couldn't resist buying Lucy "Volume 2: 1960-1989"  "The Sad & Tragic Ending of Lucille Ball".  First off, whose ending is NOT sad and to varying degrees tragic?   Darwin's at it again with quotes of what Lucy and cohorts were saying in private conversations, none of which I believe was actually said at all and especially not within earshot of anyone taking notes.   The fact-checking goes from the ridiculous "Charles Lane played Lucy's boss at the bank in Danfield Connecicut" to the more ridiculous "When season 3 of The Lucy Show's ratings dipped, CBS was considering cancelling the show".  Granted season 3 in the lowest ranking of all 6 seasons at #8, but it was still in the top TEN, ferChristsake!

I find it hard to believe that Lucy said some of the things he's quoted.  A lot about how "endowed" one male star was over the other: a topic Darwin seems obsessed with.  He includes pics of shirtless male celebrities who have little or nothing to do with Lucy.  Example: Vince Edwards.  Book states Ben Casey was filmed at Desilu.  It might have been, but if it was, this is the first I've ever heard.  And can't there be a mention of Milton Berle  (in this book and many others) without referencing his huge "member"?

And then there's the entire chapter devoted to John Wayne's affair with RG Brown in which Wayne donned women's clothes with Brown as the dominant  partner as leather-masked Maury Thompson stood on the sidelines cracking a whip while the two went at it, all captured on film by Bob Crane. 

OK, I'm kidding about the last paragraph but didn't you believe me for a moment?   It doesn't differ too much from the other "facts" Darwin reports.  

• Like 2

On 2/5/2022 at 9:01 AM, Neil said:

And then there's the entire chapter devoted to John Wayne's affair with RG Brown in which Wayne donned women's clothes with Brown as the dominant  partner as leather-masked Maury Thompson stood on the sidelines cracking a whip while the two went at it, all captured on film by Bob Crane. 

OK, I'm kidding about the last paragraph but didn't you believe me for a moment?   It doesn't differ too much from the other "facts" Darwin reports.  

Yep, you had me going for a minute.

And thanks for the hysterical visual! Now to go bleach my brain…

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...