New Lucy Books

Mister Hepburn

Seems to me this book was mentioned in a thread but I can't find it.  Tom Shales book "Legends: Remembering American's Greatest Stars".  It's an affectionate look at stars of the past with a chapter about Lucy AND a separate one about Desi.  Lucy's in entitled "Wildcat" although there's no mention of the show per se.   I know the name Tom Shales.  I think he was one of the TV columnists that was particularly cruel in his review of "Life with Lucy".   He devotes most of his chapter to I Love Lucy.  And he's so very right about one thing.  It wasn't the SLAPSTICK that made the series popular, it was the HEART.   (If you think about it, what percentage of episodes were built around a big slapstick, physical comedy scene?) .  This was written in 1989 so he can be excused for repeating the Viv 20 pounds overweight contract story but why do people like this one so much??.  He lumps all her post ILL TV work into one statement:  "the chemistry just wasn't there".  

HOWEVER, that part that galled me.....he interviewed Lucy during LWL time and has this to say  (CAPS ARE MINE) : "She had eyebrow pencil where there were no eyebrows and pink lipstick where there were NO LIPS.  She looked even OLDER THAN HER 75 YEARS".   First off, why write this at all?  what's the point?  Secondly how much older than 75 years can any old person look?, I gotta ask.  There's just something about Lucy aging that seems to make writers MAD. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, Luvsbway said:

Self-published no doubt. What the hell? It's like the comments section of a Lucy Facebook group in book form.

His other books (and I use the term loosely) are just beyond ridiculous -- and you just know there are some individuals out there (and I'm sure we can both list a handful by name) who will take this bullshit as gospel because they want to believe. 

25 minutes ago, HarryCarter said:

I’m sure every page will feature a word for word account of a private conversation that no one could have possibly heard that features improbable biographical information that wouldn’t come up in a conversation and a salacious sexual detail. 

That sounds about right.

Don’t forget that every male star “interviewed” will have invariably propositioned the writer.

• Haha 1

This is what I predict the book will be like:

“Upon their first meeting, Carole Lombard said to Lucy, “Lucille, I was born Jane Alice Peters in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I was nominated for an Oscar for My Man Godfrey back in ‘36. Now, I’m married to Clark Gable, “the King of Hollywood.” Do you want to know what he’s like in bed?” (Continued for several pages)

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...

Not only is today Super Bowl Sunday, but it's also Elaine Stritch's birthday (can you imagine the halftime show she would've put on?), so I figure I'd share that Lucy gets a couple of fairly inconsequential mentions in Still Here, the fantastic new biography by Alexandria Jacobs. For one thing, Elsa Maxwell said that Stritch and Lucy were her two favorite comediennes. The more interesting tidbit is that Elaine was in a flop on stage called Loco and the producers originally wanted Lucy for the role, but she couldn't get out of her MGM contract. It's kind of weird to think that at that point in their careers they were considered a similar type. For fans of Stritch and anecdotes from show business history, I totally recommend the book.

7 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

Not only is today Super Bowl Sunday, but it's also Elaine Stritch's birthday (can you imagine the halftime show she would've put on?), so I figure I'd share that Lucy gets a couple of fairly inconsequential mentions in Still Here, the fantastic new biography by Alexandria Jacobs. For one thing, Elsa Maxwell said that Stritch and Lucy were her two favorite comediennes. The more interesting tidbit is that Elaine was in a flop on stage called Loco and the producers originally wanted Lucy for the role, but she couldn't get out of her MGM contract. It's kind of weird to think that at that point in their careers they were considered a similar type. For fans of Stritch and anecdotes from show business history, I totally recommend the book.

I greatly enjoyed Still Here. However, there were some Stritch credits glossed over that I would have liked the author to have covered. There was no mention of Stritch starring in one of TV’s first sitcoms, The Growing Paynes. Stritch played the mother to a 12 year old. She was 23 at the time!

Stritch actually played a different role in Loco than the one offered Lucy. Stritch played the daughter of Loco’s older love interest. If Lucy had done it, she and Stritch would have been on stage together. Imagine that! Loco became the Betty Grable plotline in How to Marry a Millionaire. Loco was written by Lucy’s good friends Dale and Katherine Eunson, who also wrote The Star for Lucy. Bette Davis, of course, ended up doing it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HarryCarter said:

I greatly enjoyed Still Here. However, there were some Stritch credits glossed over that I would have liked the author to have covered. There was no mention of Stritch starring in one of TV’s first sitcoms, The Growing Paynes. Stritch played the mother to a 12 year old. She was 23 at the time!

Stritch actually played a different role in Loco than the one offered Lucy. Stritch played the daughter of Loco’s older love interest. If Lucy had done it, she and Stritch would have been on stage together. Imagine that! Loco became the Betty Grable plotline in How to Marry a Millionaire. Loco was written by Lucy’s good friends Dale and Katherine Eunson, who also wrote The Star for Lucy. Bette Davis, of course, ended up doing it. 

I'll have to reread the section about Loco- I must not have been paying close enough attention. Lucy and Stritch onstage together in any capacity would've been a delight! A Here's Lucy plot featuring Elaine as a sophisticated jet-setting prospective client of the agency who gets into a drinking contest with Lucy is immediately forming in my brain.

The movie "THE STAR"-----as one of the two kids,  looking at a billboard for WC Field's The Bank Dick movie at the beginning of WC's follow up "Never Give a Sucker an Even Break", says

"WHAT A BUPKE!"

The only scene I enjoy is when Margaret's sister and her husband, the belching Herb Vigran (can't remember his character's name), arrive for their "monthly check" and completely ignore Margaret's telling them she's broke until Margaret blows her top as only Bette can.  The couple have let themselves in before Margaret arrives home.  Herb is raiding the frig and doesn't even bother to close the door!  The conversation turns to all the money Margaret has given them to set Herb up in business.  The laundromat's failure?  Sister:  "That wasn't his fault.  How did Herb know everybody was going to buy WHIRLPOOLS?"   And finally Margaret desperately pleads "I've given you over $50,000.  Can I have $200?" (her rent is in arrears).   Sister: "For heaven's sake, Margaret.  Where would we get that kind of money?"  Margaret "well, maybe you could print it if I HAD ONLY THOUGHT TO BUY HERB A PRINTING PRESS!"---which as I recall was the only witty line is this film.   Whoever talked Bette into cutting her Talulah-like All Above Eve locks in favor of an Ethel Mertz/Celeste Holm-do should have been fired as Bette's style consultant. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2020 at 2:47 AM, rickylu said:

It looks like a new book was just published called, "The Forgotten Desi and Lucy TV Projects: The Desilu Series and Specials That Might Have Been".

https://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Desi-Lucy-TV-Projects/dp/1629335452/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=the+forgotten+desi+and+Lucy+tv+projects&qid=1585409857&sr=8-2

Thanks for sharing! The one review currently available is absolutely glowing. Sounds like this is a real treasure trove of rarely discussed information. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 3:57 PM, Brock said:

This name sounds familiar.  Do we know who he is?   A couple of quotes from the amazon page:

Lucille Ball welcoming Billy into her home to watch the debut of her final TV series after critics have panned the legendary star into tears:Lucy: Hello. I used to be in television!

But it wasn't previewed before the premiere so it couldn't have been panned  yet.   Or could it?  He was invited to her house??

The Desilu Projects book: I've just skimmed.  A lot of readable information.  He's not always clear if a pilot was shot but he's obviously seen scripts.   He refers to the Lucie Arnaz "Apron Strings" Here's Lucy episode pilot with the alternate title "Kim".   Never heard that before.   Look at the author's picture on the amazon listing.  As Alvin Littlefield said to Phoebe: "Well, at least SMILE!"

• 3 months later...

From the new book "Dolls Dolls Dolls" about the making of the movie Valley of the Dolls.  In the section about casting Helen Lawson (eventually played by Susan Hayward), it states: (CAPS are mine)

"In January, Lucille Ball SHOULDERED in  (??), VAULTING herself to the top of the list of contenders.  The moviemakers sparked to that idea: signing Ball to that role would not only be a shocker but a publicity windfall.  Ball--with her singing voice dubbed * of course--certainly could have been a revelation.  On December 24th national syndicated columnist Alex Freeman reported that Ball was committed to the project as long as the script could be "padded a little to make it an even more important part".  Apparently Ball wanted more than a little padding so the moviemakers kept dangling the carrot before Joan Crawford, Bette Davis and BETTY HUTTON (??)".....(then they signed Judy Garland and....well I assume you know the story)

I find it hard to believe that Lucy would consider appearing in such a movie but wouldn't THAT have been interesting?   Especially considering who her co-star would have been. 

*With just a slight tweak, I can see/hear Margaret Whiting dubbing for Lucy and it sounding like the real thing.