What episodes are you watching on "Here's Lucy"?

"Chuck Connors slumber party" gives us plenty of old-time Lucy laughs.  Chuck brings little to the proceedings himself; comedy not being his forte. I don't know where they were or what prompted him but I guess at one point recently in relation to this episode, Chuck Conners picked up Soviet's Secretary Breshnev----and picked up as in lifted; doubtful there was any bromance there.  Other than that, I don't think Chuck rated on the celebrity A or B list in 1974.  And I guess he had forgiven Lucy and "The Lucy Show" for the cancellation of "The Rifleman" in its 6th season slotted against "The Lucy Show" in its first very successful season.  "Rifleman" did not see a 7th.   This one was originally conceived for John Wayne, which would have been hysterical--and John would have joined Tennessee Ernie as the only guest to appear in all three shows (if you don't count the comedy hours).  Fact checking in my head: am I right about that?

I think you're right about the Tennessee Ernie thing. However, Gale is the only person other than Lucy to appear on MFH, ILL, TLDCH, TLS, HL and LWL. I wonder why Bob Hope didn't make an appearance on Here's Lucy- not even a cameo or anything.

I'd forgotten.  Yes, Billy deWolfe was approached and would have been wonderful.  (Billy died in 1974)  Arte may have been hilarious on Laugh-In, but he's one HL guest star that just doesn't fit in to this style of comedy; AND I don't think he's someone whose celebrity status rates high enough to be a guest STAR.

I'm sure the William Holden version of the script would have been much different.  It was Bob and Madelyn who suggested Holden during the pre-season sit-down when they were asked who they would like to be guest stars for the upcoming season.

And other than Arte's over-the-top unfunny performance, there's a lot to like in "Bird Sitter".

I know I'm in the minority, but I've always been a big fan of Lucy is a Birdsitter. I can't see William Holden in the role at all. Neil, didn't you say that Billy DeWolfe was second choice? He would have been terrific if he had been up to it. He was ill and died a few months later.

Now, onto watch every episode of TLS in order without skipping the duds. Pray for me by Season Four.

I'm praying for your redemption.  Remember to watch "Music World/Wingding" in the context of the time: it's a take-off on ABC's Shindig -- and you have to admit that Wingding is a pretty good parody title.

I'm praying for your redemption. Remember to watch "Music World/Wingding" in the context of the time: it's a take-off on ABC's Shindig -- and you have to admit that Wingding is a pretty good parody title.

I adore Music World with or without context. Including Torme. Lol

• Like 1

Cozi broadcast of "Lucy Meets Lucille Ball"

I agree with Brock that this is a brilliant episode, if a bit nonsensical.

It really shows what a good actress Lucy, playing THREE different versions of herself.  Even when done up in the same outfit and wig, she acts and moves like different characters: as Miss Ball, as Lucy Carter and as Lucy Carter impersonating Miss Ball for Harry's benefit--all three are distinct.

With "Mame" about ready to premiere, I'm surprised they left this line in "With a voice as UNMUSICAL as mine..".  She's right, but why point it out when her "new film" in a musical?

The show breezes along so hilariously that we can overlook the stuff that makes no sense:

-That Lucie Arnaz/Kim looks NOTHING like Lucille Ball.  Until this episode I never thought of it, but I don't see any Lucy features in Lucie.

-How accessible Miss Ball is, letting Lucy Carter roam around the dressing room unsupervised.

-The flimsy reason for Harry to come looking for her:  to get some papers typed up by 4?

-Why Miss Ball conveniently disappears into her office for a long stretch of time.

AND

-That at the beginning, after the commercial runs, Kim turns off the TV and the two gals forget all about the movie they wanted to see on TV, so much so they're rushing home.

-What reason does the contest studio audience have for being there?  Is this Lucille Ball Lookalike Contest being broadcast nationally?

This is the best Carole Cook has been on a Lucy show since Thelma Green slid down the fireman's pole.

My favorite line of the whole show: "You don't even leave town . It's just a car. That's it."

• Like 1

Cozi broadcast of "Lucy Meets Lucille Ball"

I agree with Brock that this is a brilliant episode, if a bit nonsensical.

It really shows what a good actress Lucy, playing THREE different versions of herself.  Even when done up in the same outfit and wig, she acts and moves like different characters: as Miss Ball, as Lucy Carter and as Lucy Carter impersonating Miss Ball for Harry's benefit--all three are distinct.

With "Mame" about ready to premiere, I'm surprised they left this line in "With a voice as UNMUSICAL as mine..".  She's right, but why point it out when her "new film" in a musical?

The show breezes along so hilariously that we can overlook the stuff that makes no sense:

-That Lucie Arnaz/Kim looks NOTHING like Lucille Ball.  Until this episode I never thought of it, but I don't see any Lucy features in Lucie.

-How accessible Miss Ball is, letting Lucy Carter roam around the dressing room unsupervised.

-The flimsy reason for Harry to come looking for her:  to get some papers typed up by 4?

-Why Miss Ball conveniently disappears into her office for a long stretch of time.

AND

-That at the beginning, after the commercial runs, Kim turns off the TV and the two gals forget all about the movie they wanted to see on TV, so much so they're rushing home.

-What reason does the contest studio audience have for being there?  Is this Lucille Ball Lookalike Contest being broadcast nationally?

This is the best Carole Cook has been on a Lucy show since Thelma Green slid down the fireman's pole.

My favorite line of the whole show: "You don't even leave town . It's just a car. That's it."

This was a Bobby O'Brien penned ep wasn't it? That's where you can lay the blame for a lot of the "curiousities" about the piece that you pointed out, if not many others.

I don't agree though that she was playing 3 "distinct" variations of herself/Lucy Carter; when she was LC "pretending" to be LB it was basically her just briefly impersonating The Star in order to get Harry's goat. 

I've never understood why when playing her real-life self she (or the script? the direction?) felt the need to go "haughty": she may have been working overtime to contrast between the two, the middle-class secretary and the big Hollywood star but still.... why go there? Interesting choices.... :blink:

This was a Bobby O'Brien penned ep wasn't it? That's where you can lay the blame for a lot of the "curiousities" about the piece that you pointed out, if not many others.

I don't agree though that she was playing 3 "distinct" variations of herself/Lucy Carter; when she was LC "pretending" to be LB it was basically her just briefly impersonating The Star in order to get Harry's goat. 

I've never understood why when playing her real-life self she (or the script? the direction?) felt the need to go "haughty": she may have been working overtime to contrast between the two, the middle-class secretary and the big Hollywood star but still.... why go there? Interesting choices.... :blink:

I would call her "dignified" rather than "haughty".  I think she plays this fictional Lucille Ball well.  Obviously THIS Lucille Ball doesn't have a TV series that co-stars her daughter.  Kim should have entered a Lucie Arnaz lookalike contest with the prize being a 10-speed bicycle and a transistor radio.

I think her performance as "Lucille Ball" is remarkably similar to her performance as "Lucille Ball" in Best Foot Forward over 30 years earlier.

Wasn't Jack Donahue the guy Harry had the reciprocal destruction fight with at City Hall when Lucy thought Kim was getting married?

He's also in "Gets Lucky" but that was later.   Seems like he's in more.

Director Coby Ruskin is in "Franchise Fiasco" as the drunk who sees Lucy in penguin outfit.  I don't know that he was in another.

George Marshall was Sheriff George in "Runs Rapids".

Any other director cameos?

No one's ever come forth with the story of why Lucy shares directing credit with Coby for "Lucy the Sheriff" then Jack Donahue comes back to direct that last few episodes of the 6th season.   Either Coby suddenly took ill or there was a conflict on the set. 

Where is my Wandering Mother Tonight? :lucythrill:

• Another well-written, hilarious episode with wonderful performances from Lucy, Gale and Lucie
  • I love Lucy's interacting with Jack Donohue who makes the most of his appearance here. Was this only his third on-screen appearance after Conducts the Symphony and Goes Hawaiian Pt. 1?

Donahue plays Dirty Jack in Where is my Wandering Mother Tonight?

Yes, and Cozi just ran it.  It's a near perfect Here's Lucy episode. It's hard to believe that this and "Harry Pans for Gold" ran in the same season or was even part of the same series.  It's got everything: a family-problem realistic plot with some real emotion, funny lines and that great physical bit with Lucy in the lotus position, which is even more remarkable when you consider her broken leg was still on the mend.  I much prefer this relationship between Lucy and Harry rather than the unfunny office bickering bordering on hate.

The running gag of Lucy calling Harry is waking him up is hilarious (but it's only a running gag in Bob and Madelyn episodes) culminating in Kim waking him up and Harry's line "You can't help it dear.  It's in the blood".   Lucie had really matured into a great supporting actress--or a lead as "Fights the System" proved.

I'd like to see the original draft of the script because the big plot hole of Kim inviting Lucy over, then planning a "romantic dinner with Brian" is not something they would normally let slip by. Especially since this could have been taken care of with a few lines. She could have told Lucy about it when she invited her over, assuming Lucy would vacate before the date.  Other than go home, what did Kim have in mind for Lucy to do while her date was there?

Though it was cut from the Cozi version, harry's line "Why must I always be my brother's wife's keeper?" is one of the FEW references to the late Mr. Carter (if not the ONLY one).

And WHY is Here's Lucy rated "PG"??  Doesn't this stand for Parental Guidance Suggested?

Cozi showing "The Carters Meet Frankie Avalon"

Though not necessarily his fault, his two Lucy appearances (this and TLS) are among my least enjoyed episodes.

Lucie does a good job replicating Cher's voice but not her speaking voice for the Sonny-Cher sparring segment. Frankie is good at impersonations but the whole episode is TOO MUCH of Frankie's act.  By Cozi timing, it's 10 minutes before Lucy herself even has a line.

I feel sorry for Frankie who at 34 (at the time of "The Carters") was already an anachronism in show biz.  During the episode he reveals that his wife is expecting their 8th child.  I wonder how he supported them.  Other than his nostalgic appearance in "Grease", I don't know that he did anything else to speak of.

I thought I remember the outfit Lucy wore and that she mentioned having filmed this show earlier the same day when she appeared on "Merv Griffin" along with the gang, Bob Hope and clips from Mame.   By this time, the HL filming had been changed to Thursday afternoon instead of evening.  My ticket stated 1:30 to 4:00, an hour longer than the other half-hour comedies which scheduled their filming length to 90 minutes.  Contrast that to today!

I don't think the first one I saw "Don Knotts/Blind Date" took the entire time.  She actually did the make up change in real time while Don's reading his Ben/Fred story off cue cards.  They didn't stop to put on her werewolf makeup.

Cozi aired "Fights the System".  I'm so glad HL went out with a string of excellent episodes.  Everyone's great in this one, but Lucie really rises to the occasion and practically carries the show by herself.  The supporting cast, the restaurant employees and the diners are all top-notch (and LBP was not noted for hiring this many capable veterans at once.)  The restaurant set is very authentic and the use of restaurant terms ("deuce table") adds to the realism.

HL could be guilty of sweetening the audience response but not in this one.  The studio audience is obviously having a great time which adds to the enjoyment of the episode.

I don't know who was doing Lucy's wardrobe, but this season she really dresses very middle-age-y (no crime: she's 62 after all) hiding her still sleek-isn figure under those old lady clothes. 

Unlike most HLs, this one actually has a point to make.  With one of the few mentions of the age thing when it comes to Lucy and Harry. Though if Jack Collins is just turning 40, I'm 27!

When it was filmed they must have known this would be the last HL episode.  However, I know Lucy Meets Lucy was filmed around Christmas so maybe the decision hadn't been made yet.  

But could they have come up with a better line to end the series?

More on "Fights the System".  You'd think they would run out of Lucy incompetent-at the-office jokes but Bob O'Brien comes up with 2 more.

1. Harry, how do you spell 'Harrison', with one r or two?

Harry: You've been working for me for 10 years. How have you been spelling it?

Lucy: with 3 r's

Harry: 3 r's???

Lucy: That way they'll think it's a typo and they can figure it out. 

Pretty ridiculous.....but funny.

This one is better:

And Lucy taking out her lunch after her lunch hour.

Harry: What are you doing?

Lucy: Eating my lunch ........

Harry: You shop during your lunch hour and eat your lunch on MY time?

Lucy: Yes, if I ate my lunch during my lunch hour, I'd have to shop on your time and that wouldn't be fair.

There's always something funny in a Bob O'Brien script even if the shows as a whole don't usually work. (Gorboona being the possible exception. I haven't seen it in a while)  Though "System" does work.  It's one of his best. 

More Cozi showings:

"Lucy and Eva Gabor"----the 2nd but not the last time an author has sought refuge at Lucy's residence to finish their work....and regrets it. (Milton Berle being the first; there may have been another one in between Milton and Eva).   There are amusing bits in this one: Harry getting attacked by dogs as he's scaling the back fence, but what RUINS this one for me is the finale: mounting paint cans over the door, which makes no sense on many levels.

#1: Why not just NOT answer the door?

#2: Lucy opening the door knowing that it's Harry and knowing what's going to happen strains any believability.  She could have told him about the paint and steered him to another door.  And above all else, by opening the door, she's ruining her own carpet and walls, if not more. It's a good sight gag.  Harry, especially, with his beady eyes peering through blue paint, but without a build-up that makes sense, it's not funny.

And by the way, the $500 a week Eva is paying Harry amounts to a staggering $3400 a week today or over $14,000 a month.

• 2 weeks later...

"Lucy Gets Her Man"

A fair HL episode.  However, our government mistaking a greeting card writer for a spy is a bit of a stretch.

Amazing that Victor Buono was just 30 years old when this was made.

And what song do the Carter kids do to drive Harry crazy?  What else but "I Know a Place"!