My Favorite Husband's I Love Lucy Adaptions

As many of you are aware, a number of My Favorite Husband scripts were reworked into I Love Lucy scripts. Sometimes just the basic plot was used, or else the first act was the same but the second act differed (or vice versa), but occasionally the scripts are almost word for word identical.

For the most part, I find the I Love Lucy counterparts superior. For example, when "Time Budgeting" became "Lucy's Schedule", it was far more successful and funny to actually SEE the girls rushing the food off the table than just hearing about it.

Or when "Liz Teaches Iris to Drive" became "Lucy Learns to Drive", we didn't actually get to witness the car coming unhooked on the downhill slope as we heard happen in MFH, but Lucy driving off in the Cadillac with the Pontiac tailing behind, and then coming back after the commercial with the two cars switched was hilarious! We didn't need to see HOW it happened, just the aftermath sufficed and was hysterical.

One MFH script I prefered to the Lucy counterpart was "Liz Changes Her Mind" vs. "Lucy Changes Her Mind". The first acts are practically identical, with the classic restaurant scene featuring Frank Nelson as the frustrated waiter in both versions. However, I find the second act of the MFH version superior to the I Love Lucy version, where Liz sends an old letter to George telling him she is leaving him, but thinking she's referring to a sorority reunion, tells her she ought to go!

Anyone else have any preferences regarding MFH vs. ILL scripts?

I've always been a big fan of My Favorite Husband but I do agree with you, most of the I Love Lucy adaptations are even funnier. One MFH episode that I actually think is superior (and much funnier) to its I Love Lucy counterpart is the "Valentine's Day" episode (as opposed to "Lucy Plays Cupid" on ILL). Even though they're similar, I like the radio storyline better, and the courtroom scene with Gale Gordon as "kindly Judge Skinner" is hysterical!

I've always been a big fan of My Favorite Husband but I do agree with you, most of the I Love Lucy adaptations are even funnier. One MFH episode that I actually think is superior (and much funnier) to its I Love Lucy counterpart is the "Valentine's Day" episode (as opposed to "Lucy Plays Cupid" on ILL). Even though they're similar, I like the radio storyline better, and the courtroom scene with Gale Gordon as "kindly Judge Skinner" is hysterical!

Yes, I agree, that episode is wonderful! That was also Gale's first appearance on the series and, I believe, the first time he worked with Lucille Ball. As we all know, it was HARDLY his last!

"The Black Eye" is one of the cases where both versions are virtually identical; hardly a word was changed between mediums. They're both funny, but not a standout for either series.

I also prefer "Liz Appears on Television" to "Lucy & Ethel Buy the Same Dress". Only the basic plot was the same (in both versions, the girls get identical dresses to wear on a television program), but the MFH version, with Liz giving Iris a friendship plaque, was a laugh riot the minute the girls got onto the stage. Lucy & Ethel's dress ripping duet had its moments, but was not nearly as funny, IMO.

I also prefer "Liz Appears on Television" to "Lucy & Ethel Buy the Same Dress". Only the basic plot was the same (in both versions, the girls get identical dresses to wear on a television program), but the MFH version, with Liz giving Iris a friendship plaque, was a laugh riot the minute the girls got onto the stage. Lucy & Ethel's dress ripping duet had its moments, but was not nearly as funny, IMO.

I love both the radio and TV versions, but I agree with you, "Liz Appears on Television" is hysterical!

:lucy1: I'll be the friend, you be the ship!

:gale1: 'ATTA GIRL, LOTUS-BUD!!!!

:marionstrong: :marionstrong:

"Liz Appears on Television" is my favorite episode, but "Lucy and Ethel Buy the Same Dress" is one of my favorite I Love Lucy episodes. I'd give the edge to "Same Dress."

I think "George is Drafted - Liz's Baby" is superior than "Drafted" if only for Liz's line "You know who's to blame for this! Those darn Chinese Communists."

Although "Hair Dyed" doesn't have the Japanese Eskimo sight gag from "The Black Wig," I think it's another one that is absolutely hilarious. There's the added bonus of Liz being told she looks like Lucille Ball too.

My Favorite Husband's "Valentine's Day" was actually not the first time Lucy and Gale worked together. They previously co-starred on the radio series The Wonder Show starring Jack Haley in 1938-1939.

"Liz Appears on Television" is my favorite episode, but "Lucy and Ethel Buy the Same Dress" is one of my favorite I Love Lucy episodes. I'd give the edge to "Same Dress."

I think "George is Drafted - Liz's Baby" is superior than "Drafted" if only for Liz's line "You know who's to blame for this! Those darn Chinese Communists."

Although "Hair Dyed" doesn't have the Japanese Eskimo sight gag from "The Black Wig," I think it's another one that is absolutely hilarious. There's the added bonus of Liz being told she looks like Lucille Ball too.

My Favorite Husband's "Valentine's Day" was actually not the first time Lucy and Gale worked together. They previously co-starred on the radio series The Wonder Show starring Jack Haley in 1938-1939.

Ah, okay. I knew it was his first MFH appearance but I wasn't sure if they had appeared together on a previous program. Thanks for setting me straight.

I like the radio version of 'Equal Rights.' The radio version is two episodes, and a scene in part 1 is a favorite. It's when the wives want their husbands to help them on with their coats. Gale Gordon and Bea Benadaret's line readings are hysterical.

I also like the radio dialogue and audience reaction in 'The Black Eye.' Hearing all that laughter after Liz says, "You don't like me do you?" is pure joy!

Archived