Clint Walker on Lucy

Brock

While browsing at my local bookstore tonight I found a magazine called Shock Cinema -- apparently it has been around since 1990 but this is the first time I've seen it on Canadian newstands -- featuring a new interview with Clint Walker! In the interview, he talks about working on The Lucy Show:

Scream Cinema: You also did some comedy on television such as a 1963 episode of The Jack Benny Show as well as two episodes of The Lucy Show: “Lucy and the Sleeping Beauty” and “Lucy and Clint Walker.

Clint: I really enjoyed working with Jack. We were both born in Illinois and had worked at sea. He climbed up to me to look into my eyes. He put one foot on one of my knees, got me round the neck, then he put his other foot on my other knee, and looks me in the eyes saying, “You know, he does have blue eyes!” I had no idea he was going to do that. He sure had a lot of confidence in me.

Lucille Ball was a pleasure to work with. In one episode we were going to have a date and I’d have no sleep the night before. So I’m leaning up against a big post in her apartment and said something like, “It wouldn’t be a good idea to wake me up if I fall asleep, since I have martial arts training and I could be very dangerous if I wake up suddenly.” Anyway, I fall asleep on her couch with my head on her leg. Then suddenly I wake up and kicked one end of the couch so it collapses, and then the other. That was a very funny episode and Lucille Ball was great to work with.

In the interview he also talks extensively about his work in Cheyenne, The Dirty Dozen, Night of the Grizzly, The Ten Commandments, as well as working with Doris Day, Rock Hudson, Cecil B. DeMille, and Tony Randall. It’s a great read!

That's what I was thinking, Claude. LMAO. When I read the title of this thread, that's the image that popped into my head. I thought I was the only perv here. :peachonthebeach:

Oh no, i wrote the book on pervdom while you were still a twinkle in your parents' eyes. I loved what Viv here said though, Clint and Keith fighting it out for Lucy's attentions would have been a great plot point. People here who know how i despised gary might be shocked to learn that when i wrote Lucy that 18 page fan letter, i told her gary, who had been on a few shows by then, should have been a regular as her beau. But Keith and Clint fighting it out for ehr would have been much better.

I so wish you made a carbon copy of your fan letter! lol

I was a teen, you can just imagine some of the things i talked to her about, telling her stupidities like YOU HAVE TO WATCH YOURSELF ON THE TONIGHT SHOWM, YOUR EYE LIDS LOOK SO PUFFY and other nonsense, i even told her my idea for a special she could do and a plot for a future show, LOL! I said gary should be on the show as her constant boyfriend, knowing full well the reason he wasn't is that people were watching her on ILL with Desi and it would have looked disrespectful towards him. It was mostly praise though telling her how much her great comedy made MY life more interesting and that all my family and friends even in a French area LOVED everything she did. I also praised the people around her on the shows, commented how she gave the world laughter and that it was nice seeing her in movies now and then. Mostly i just told her i was her biggest fan, loved everything she ever did and thought she was the absolute best at what she did. I think i even mentionned her pioneering efforts as head honcho of Desilu, advancement of women in comedy and her absolute domination of the medium which meant that i could see her shows 18 times a week, then also see her movies rerun on there as well as her guest shots on talk shows, quiz shows and constant interviews in magazines and so on, let's face it, back then the woman was EVERYWHERE and made Betty White look lazy by comparison.

I was a teen, you can just imagine some of the things i talked to her about, telling her stupidities like YOU HAVE TO WATCH YOURSELF ON THE TONIGHT SHOWM, YOUR EYE LIDS LOOK SO PUFFY and other nonsense, i even told her my idea for a special she could do and a plot for a future show, LOL! I said gary should be on the show as her constant boyfriend, knowing full well the reason he wasn't is that people were watching her on ILL with Desi and it would have looked disrespectful towards him. It was mostly praise though telling her how much her great comedy made MY life more interesting and that all my family and friends even in a French area LOVED everything she did. I also praised the people around her on the shows, commented how she gave the world laughter and that it was nice seeing her in movies now and then. Mostly i just told her i was her biggest fan, loved everything she ever did and thought she was the absolute best at what she did. I think i even mentionned her pioneering efforts as head honcho of Desilu, advancement of women in comedy and her absolute domination of the medium which meant that i could see her shows 18 times a week, then also see her movies rerun on there as well as her guest shots on talk shows, quiz shows and constant interviews in magazines and so on, let's face it, back then the woman was EVERYWHERE and made Betty White look lazy by comparison.

An 18-page 'fan/love letter' - WOW! Tell us if you got a reply; and what it says....Love, JK

So what was your 'special' idea?

And your episode plot suggestion?

("Lucy's Eyes are NG and Puffy"?)

LOL! Yeah, like i could remember that far back, i was like eighteen years old, it was 1968 or thereabouts. I did mention the house though so maybe that's why she featured it in her next special, LOL! Since i can't remember the exact year i can't be sure that i had seen and talked about going to Yours Mine and Ours 18 times, once even spending the day in the theater one time, from the 10am showing to the one at ten o'clock at night. I'm pretty sure the SPECIAL revolved around the idea of her showing us what a Hollywood party with all her superstar friends at her home would be like. You see, not exactly in YOUR creative league!

Archived