Hey, Look Him Over!

Brock

WOW, nice standing ovation at the beginning and huge ovation at the end too and she sang pretty well also. The material given her was great too, for once. MY copy of this had the ending also where all the stars came out and Bob had a huge cake to cut up but it was fake and the sword he used from one of the soldiers there cutting thrugh the huge fake cake got laughs from everybody including Lucy. Brock, that new pic of Lucy in your avatar looks sensational, BUT, the wordking underneath no loner fits the pic. :marionstrong:

THANK YOU for posting this! I've never seen it before and it was a real treat! Lucy looks absolutely sensational (love the high slit up the dress AND that she's wearing her own hair) and she's got great energy here. And, like Claude said, the material they gave her is actually pretty good, as is her singing!

:peachonthebeach: So do you, Mr. President!

THANK YOU for posting this! I've never seen it before and it was a real treat! Lucy looks absolutely sensational (love the high slit up the dress AND that she's wearing her own hair) and she's got great energy here. And, like Claude said, the material they gave her is actually pretty good, as is her singing!

Well! I'm pleasantly impressed. Could it be that her singing actually improved in the 80s? Given the limitations of her voice, she sounds great here.

And she's still got it, spouting out those one liners with her expert timing intact, even though topical references are not her thing (nor mine, I have little idea who she's referring to). She's seems less with-it in "Life with Lucy" just 3 years later. I guess "Stone Pillow" did more a number on her health than I realized. I wish "Stone" was a little better than it was, for Lucy hadn't gone out a limb that far since "Lucy in London". For those who say she's difficult, what 72 year old (who doesn't need the money) would be trouper enough to risk her health to fulfill a commitment.

And as a political aside, (and feel free to skip this) I found Ronald Reagan bilious then and even more so now that we're seeing the culmination of his supply side economics in meltdown form. There are a lot of people to blame, but he got the ball rolling. That affability never fooled me!

I especially liked the line about the Presidential conferences pre empting too many ILL reruns, LOL!

Well! I'm pleasantly impressed. Could it be that her singing actually improved in the 80s? Given the limitations of her voice, she sounds great here.

And she's still got it, spouting out those one liners with her expert timing intact, even though topical references are not her thing (nor mine, I have little idea who she's referring to). She's seems less with-it in "Life with Lucy" just 3 years later. I guess "Stone Pillow" did more a number on her health than I realized. I wish "Stone" was a little better than it was, for Lucy hadn't gone out a limb that far since "Lucy in London". For those who say she's difficult, what 72 year old (who doesn't need the money) would be trouper enough to risk her health to fulfill a commitment.

And as a political aside, (and feel free to skip this) I found Ronald Reagan bilious then and even more so now that we're seeing the culmination of his supply side economics in meltdown form. There are a lot of people to blame, but he got the ball rolling. That affability never fooled me!

Nobody hates reagan and his bitch wife more than i do, BUT, Lucy befriended them through her association with Hope and the old fogies club and she was especially caring when nancy got that mastectomy and reagan never forgot that. So they stayed friends. He made a beautiful comment on her when she passed on, he was meeting with the first bush president and they both said nice things about Lucy. You said you did not know who she was referring to? A Gromyko smile was about the fake Russian Premier or President at that time, Valanciega or whatever his name was referred to the Los Angeles baseball player who was Spanish and had a thick accent, she said here he certainly wasn't Swedish.

Lucy did the same number for Bob's birthday five years earlier. I think this performance is the better of the two. The first one has the audience applaud her in the middle of the number, which throws Lucy off a little bit and causes her to miss a line.

Yeah, i have that one too, she flubbs a line but still keeps on going as this is a live show. She was wearing a beautiful yellow chiffon gown for that one and looked better than on this one. BUT she looked more comfortable here and yes, was in fine voice.

Lucy did the same number for Bob's birthday five years earlier. I think this performance is the better of the two. The first one has the audience applaud her in the middle of the number, which throws Lucy off a little bit and causes her to miss a line.

How nice, paying tribute to Lucy with yet another RERUN post, LOL!

Oh, I LOVED this! Thanks so much for posting it! :D

I had never seen it before either, & thought the lyrics for Bob were cute. So glad she got a standing ovation. I think whenever that happened (especially later in life) it made her very happy.

Oh it surely did, but she got it by raising her arms at the beginning, a ploy she used many times. I liked the one time where she got one on a Hope special, she was wearing that black velvet number and kept bowing to each area of the crowd, this woman was a pro man! When she got it on a Tonight show with Joan Rivers, again in black velvet but a regular outfit, not a gown, she applauds back to them and goes out to the edge of the stage smiling broadly. When Rivers asks her if she's embarrassed by that she says WHY? that's not embarrassing, that's wonderful!

Yeah, I remember that from the 1978 version which is the one I had on tape. The audience applauds causing her to miss the end of "How do you praise a man...." but if would have thrown off a lesser performer. She recovers nicely and carries on--swinging her arms to the next beat before she sings "What can amaze a man..." as if to make sure the orchestra keeps up!

Yeah, I remember that from the 1978 version which is the one I had on tape. The audience applauds causing her to miss the end of "How do you praise a man...." but if would have thrown off a lesser performer. She recovers nicely and carries on--swinging her arms to the next beat before she sings "What can amaze a man..." as if to make sure the orchestra keeps up!

I'm happy to say you included it in the MONTAGE tape you made me which i had transferred to DVD and i play it all the time. The only thing i'm missing from that earlier version of five years before is the very last note, which cracks me up every time i play it. :hlLOL:

I'm happy to say you included it in the MONTAGE tape you made me which i had transferred to DVD and i play it all the time. The only thing i'm missing from that earlier version of five years before is the very last note, which cracks me up every time i play it. :hlLOL:

yeah I remember that too. These were originally recorded directly off the air via my oft-told method of lugging this 150 pound reel to reel video recorder home from school....and one hour reels were $20!

I don't know how this happened but obviously I backed the tape up farther than I should have. My vague recollection of the last note-circa 78-- is that it was not as solid as in 1983, but I don't think she did that note searching ending she did when performing the song on The Ed Sullivan Show.

Not counting humming or singing the tune to herself in a Lucy episode, and off the top of my head, I come up with SIX times she sang it on TV but I'm probably missing a couple.

yeah I remember that too. These were originally recorded directly off the air via my oft-told method of lugging this 150 pound reel to reel video recorder home from school....and one hour reels were $20!

I don't know how this happened but obviously I backed the tape up farther than I should have. My vague recollection of the last note-circa 78-- is that it was not as solid as in 1983, but I don't think she did that note searching ending she did when performing the song on The Ed Sullivan Show.

Not counting humming or singing the tune to herself in a Lucy episode, and off the top of my head, I come up with SIX times she sang it on TV but I'm probably missing a couple.

And she knew she loved that song from the very time she heard it when Cy Coleman performed it for her, is that the occasion where they locked eyes while singing it and then she said LET'S NOT DO THAT AGAIN, MY EYE BALLS HURT! LOL! What i find amazing about YOUR copy as well as some of mine is the stuff that you get one second of that we obviously taped over, like your covering up Streisand with Lucy, that must have been very hard to do, LOL! I wish i had half the stuff i taped over for lack of blanks over the decades. Nowadays, as they keep bringing more of it out on DVD, i can finally give those lousy copies a rest and enjoy them all remastered and flawless, LOL!

Here's my tally of the number of times Lucy sang "Hey Look Me Over" on television.

Ed Sullivan

Steve Lawrence

Carol Burnett/Stewardess show with new lyrics*

Dinah Shore talk show in the mid-70s, very reluctantly with Dinah and Valerie Harper

Bob Hope's 75th and 80th birthday shows.

I'm not counting the times it was hummed or sung to herself in the series.

Lyrics by Bob O'Brien

"Hey look us over.

Give us the eye

We'll put you in clover

Make the public fly.

Oh, don't take the train folks

Come take the sky

Just figger whenever you take a trip

the only way's to fly.

And when you're high off the ground

like birds on a wing.

We're on the job

and service is the thing.

When we're far from the maddening crowd

we're gonna sail through clouds of silk.

Serving coffee, tea or milk."

(I cant' believe I remember all of these)

Here's my tally of the number of times Lucy sang "Hey Look Me Over" on television.

Ed Sullivan

Steve Lawrence

Carol Burnett/Stewardess show with new lyrics*

Dinah Shore talk show in the mid-70s, very reluctantly with Dinah and Valerie Harper

Bob Hope's 75th and 80th birthday shows.

I'm not counting the times it was hummed or sung to herself in the series.

Lyrics by Bob O'Brien

"Hey look us over.

Give us the eye

We'll put you in clover

Make the public fly.

Oh, don't take the train folks

Come take the sky

Just figger whenever you take a trip

the only way's to fly.

And when you're high off the ground

like birds on a wing.

We're on the job

and service is the thing.

When we're far from the maddening crowd

we're gonna sail through clouds of silk.

Serving coffee, tea or milk."

(I cant' believe I remember all of these)

WOW, nice!

Archived