The Lucy Show seasons 4 - 6: Which one is the best?

I know I'm in the minority of thinking Season Six is the best overall and most consistent California season, but consider the following great episodes:

- Lucy Meets the Berles

- Lucy Gets Trapped

- Lucy Gets Jack Benny's Account

- Lucy Gets Mooney Fired

- Lucy's Mystery Guest

- Lucy Sues Mooney

- Lucy, The Pool Hustler

- Lucy & Carol Burnett Pt. 1

- Mooney's Other Wife

- Lucy & The Stolen Stole

- Lucy & The Lost Star

- Lucy & The Boss-of-the-Year Award

Which of the last three seasons is your favourite? Season Four has the most overall classic episodes, IMO, but the sheer number of godawful episodes in there throws it off balance.

I'd rank s4 as the worst of those. Some good episodes, but when I watched the DVDs earlier this year was generally disappointed with them in general. Possibly because it's the only season with no Viv at all. Havent seen all the s5 or s6 for a long time (despite the PD status) so can't really decide whether s5 or s6 is better.

I too am anxious to see all of season six.

Seasons 4 and 5 have their moments, but 5 is probably funnier overall. 4 is interesting in how the episodes rank either good or bad, no real middle ground. I couldn't even finish Lucy and the Rain Goddess it was so terrible. Then you compare it to the horse guest and Dean Martin shows and it's like a different series!

Brock, what season 4 shows do you consider the overall classic ones?

I'd say:

- Lucy In The Music World

- Lucy & The Countess Have A Horse Guest

- Lucy the Choir Master

- Lucy Bags a Bargain

- Lucy Dates Dean Martin

- Lucy, The Gun Moll

- Lucy & The Undercover Agent

- 90% of Lucy Goes To A Hollywood Premiere

I too am anxious to see all of season six.

Seasons 4 and 5 have their moments, but 5 is probably funnier overall. 4 is interesting in how the episodes rank either good or bad, no real middle ground. I couldn't even finish Lucy and the Rain Goddess it was so terrible. Then you compare it to the horse guest and Dean Martin shows and it's like a different series!

Oh yes, the Dean Martin one is the best show of the entire series.

Season Five. I have always felt that this season was the most consistent in terms of quality from start to finish. Not to mention it had SO many classic episodes such as "Lucy, the Bean Queen", "Lucy and the Ring-a-Ding Ring", "Lucy Gets a Roommate", "Lucy Gets Caught in a Draft", "Lucy and John Wayne", "Lucy Goes to London", "Lucy's Substitute Secretary", "Viv Visits Lucy", "Lucy Meets the Law", "Lucy Meets Sheldon Leonard", ect.

Season four was all over the place ... it was either a hit or a miss. It definitely felt like the series was transitioning. With season six, it started off strong but had a weak finish.

Season Five. I have always felt that this season was the most consistent in terms of quality from start to finish. Not to mention it had SO many classic episodes such as "Lucy, the Bean Queen", "Lucy and the Ring-a-Ding Ring", "Lucy Gets a Roommate", "Lucy Gets Caught in a Draft", "Lucy and John Wayne", "Lucy Goes to London", "Lucy's Substitute Secretary", "Viv Visits Lucy", "Lucy Meets the Law", "Lucy Meets Sheldon Leonard", ect.

Season four was all over the place ... it was either a hit or a miss. It definitely felt like the series was transitioning. With season six, it started off strong but had a weak finish.

But maybe you consider them CLASSICS because they were available on dvd for years now and VHS before that, when none of the other shows of that series were? :lucyhorror::lucysmirk:

I know I'm in the minority of thinking Season Six is the best overall and most consistent California season, but consider the following great episodes:

- Lucy Meets the Berles

This one is the arguably the best of season six. Great guest stars, a terrific plot, and wonderful jokes and gags.

- Lucy Gets Trapped

Had a very interesting plot.

- Lucy Gets Jack Benny's Account

Loved the guest star and the scene towards the end of the episode.

- Lucy Gets Mooney Fired

Definitely one of my favorites in season six. The "gaslight treatment" was SO hilarious!

- Lucy's Mystery Guest

This one was relatable and had a good family touch to it. And Mary Wickes was such a delight!

- Lucy Sues Mooney

Predictable plot in the world of sitcoms but it was good.

- Lucy, The Pool Hustler

Never cared for this episode. Seeing that guy in drag was disturbing to me. He so looked like a man despite being in

women's clothing.

- Lucy & Carol Burnett Pt. 1

This was just OK. I found this to be a let-down when I first watched this episode. I was expecting something more or on the level with Carol Burnett's first appearance on the show. Part 2 was bad. It felt like I was watching a musical not a comedy.

- Mooney's Other Wife

Recently watched this --- found it annoying. The role that Edie Adams had didn't suit her and it came off as fake. And the constant whining grated on my nerves.

- Lucy & The Stolen Stole

Had a terrific plot.

- Lucy & The Lost Star

The guest star was OK and so was this episode. The saving grace for this one was the presence of Vivian Vance and the various costumes that Lucy, Viv, Gale, and Joan got to wear.

- Lucy & The Boss-of-the-Year Award

Not one of my favorites. I wish they had brought back the original cast for one last time.

But maybe you consider them CLASSICS because they were available on dvd for years now and VHS before that, when none of the other shows of that series were? :lucyhorror::lucysmirk:

That would be like saying that I consider I Love Lucy to be a CLASSIC and The Lucy Show not so much. That's not the case.

It has been 11 years now since viewing my last episode of The Lucy Show series and I've been watching each of the six seasons ever since. It has been just about equal.

That would be like saying that I consider I Love Lucy to be a CLASSIC and The Lucy Show not so much. That's not the case.

It has been 11 years now since viewing my last episode of The Lucy Show series and I've been watching each of the six seasons ever since. It has been just about equal.

Right, plus TLS ran in syndication for years, almost as much as ILL, if you've been around long enough, plus its run on "superstations" for years like TBS (which no longer exists, I guess), plus it's brief and shoddily executed release on VHS by Columbia House. HL has obviously been run the least but is finally getting its due on DVD so we'll have them for our "archives" to view whenever we like! :D

Oh no argument there, ILL and TLS and HL are all equal for me, i only watched them for LUCY and she headed all three. I just meant that you considered the eps from the last two seasons of TLS as classics because for so many decades those were the only ones we got to see as they were bootlegs of the public domain eps and therefore became more special to us for that reason, we did not see the other shows for decades how could we consider them classics if you only remembered them from viewings when decades had passed.

Right, plus TLS ran in syndication for years, almost as much as ILL, if you've been around long enough, plus its run on "superstations" for years like TBS (which no longer exists, I guess), plus it's brief and shoddily executed release on VHS by Columbia House. HL has obviously been run the least but is finally getting its due on DVD so we'll have them for our "archives" to view whenever we like! :D

True, HL was only rerun one time on CBS in the early morning and then faded, now, decades later, the show is seen for how great it really was, i mean compared to the drek put out by other people at that time.

True, HL was only rerun one time on CBS in the early morning and then faded, now, decades later, the show is seen for how great it really was, i mean compared to the drek put out by other people at that time.

Well not quite, it didn't just run on CBS, it did get syndicated (PAX TV stations, for one) but never seemed to run long no matter who picked it up! :lucydaze:

Well not quite, it didn't just run on CBS, it did get syndicated (PAX TV stations, for one) but never seemed to run long no matter who picked it up! :lucydaze:

I knew it must have run elsewhere but i meant it seems that show only got appreciated decades later. People forget that It's a Wonderful Life and Wizard of Oz, to name but two, only found success and popularity decades after they were first brought out.

I like season 5 the best; it was great; but season 4 and 6 are great too but have some horrible shows. I like "Lucy and the Boss of the Year Award" It was a great way to end with Lucy and Gale stuck together because Lucy plots backfires, which usually doesn't happen. I saw the show some months ago and I like it a lot. It is probably my favorite Lucy Shows finale though Here's Lucy finale was funny because it infered that you cannot replace an older but talented performer. Lucie was funny on the show but the point was she wasn't Lucy.

Archived