October 15 Celebrations in Jamestown

Brock

I wish there was some more notice for this. It sounds like an interesting program of events!

Press release from the Lucy-Desi Center:

While Lucy's hometown celebration of the year was in August, the Lucy Desi Center will be hosting a day of commemorative events to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the first airing of the I Love Lucy show, October 15. Our celebratory events were spurred by the recent decision of long time Center-supporter and Jamestown resident Greg Peterson to lend-for-exhibit a playbill - perhaps the earliest with Ball's name - which he discovered in the historic downtown Robert H. Jackson Center.

Peterson will host a brief showcase of the playbill and share how its serendipitous discovery is eerily linked to the anniversary of the iconic show that would forever infuse Ball and Arnaz into the consciousness of American culture, and the hearts and minds of millions.

Peterson's introduction and account will take place in the very auditorium in which the playbill's show, including a young Lucille Ball, was performed.

And so while the notice is short, and especially if you were not able to join us in August, consider joining us in Lucy's hometown to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the most successful sitcom of all time:

Saturday, October 15, 2011

10:00-11:30AM / $15.00

Lucy Town Bus Tour

3rd & Main Street Start

Tour Jamestown and Celoron learning the early life of Lucille Ball. The ever-popular guided tour of Lucy's hometown, birthplace, childhood home, and more.

1 ½ Hours

11:00AM-12:00PM / $25.00 donation

Special Collection Viewing & Photo Opportunity

Tropicana Room, 2 W. 3rd St.

See one or all five of our collection's Emmy Awards garnered by the show, along with an original script.

12:00PM-1:30PM / $15.00

Lunch Presentation: Celoron Amusement Park through Lucy's Eyes

Enjoy lunch while Celoron Mayor & historian Jack Keeney gives a presentation on Ball's formative years spent in her former stomping ground, the incredible Celoron Amusement Park.

1:30PM-3:00PM / $25.00 donation

Special Collection Viewing & Photo Opportunity

See one or all five of our collection's Emmy Awards garnered by the show, along with an original script.

3:00PM-4:30PM / $15.00

Lucy Town Bus Tour

3rd & Main Street Start

Tour Jamestown and Celoron learning the early life of Lucille Ball. The ever-popular guided tour of Lucy's hometown, birthplace, childhood home, and more.

1 ½ Hours

5:00PM / Dinner $20.00

Spaghetti Dinner

Join us in the Tropicana Room and relive the Brown Derby episode while eating spaghetti just like Lucy.

7:00PM / Free

Playbill Introduction & Screening

Auditorium: Robert H. Jackson Center, 305 E. 4th St.

Jamestown resident Greg Peterson presents the playbill which features Lucille Ball for the first time as a star performer at the Scottish Rite Temple, now the Robert H. Jackson Center. Feel the spirit of a young local actress named Lucille Ball in the very auditorium in which she performed. Followed by a screening of the pilot episode of I Love Lucy along with the first episode of season one.

Seating is limited. FOR RESERVATIONS, CALL 716.484.0800 ext 201, or email sbergstrom@lucy-desi.com. Meal reservations must be made no later than 12pm on Friday, Oct. 14.

My concern about this event is if there is a very low turnout because they provided just over ONE WEEK notice of the celebration some will use it to argue there is a declining interest in celebrating Lucy and push for the complete shift to comedy.

My concern about this event is if there is a very low turnout because they provided just over ONE WEEK notice of the celebration some will use it to argue there is a declining interest in celebrating Lucy and push for the complete shift to comedy.

Well, if that's their ultimate aim, then *uck 'em! Jamestown is to COMEDY what Poughkipsee is to space travel, they should know the only reason anybody knows Jamestown at all is because of LUCY LUCY LUCY! :peachonthebeach::professor::lucydesi::ill:

Anyone know what attendance was like for these events? I almost imagine that they only snagged some of the tourist who were visiting for the day...

I'm sure the Center will issue some facts and figures, in p.r., shortly; nothing so far in the Post-Journal, not even in today's paper; however, this weekend in Jamestown was terrible: windy, raining cats and dogs, etc.; so, I feel sorry for any Lucy fans who ventured here. Howsomever, it would have had them scrambling to get inside the various 'events'....

I'm sure Brock will 'catch' anything I might miss; keep listening...

Joyce

I'm sure the Center will issue some facts and figures, in p.r., shortly; nothing so far in the Post-Journal, not even in today's paper; however, this weekend in Jamestown was terrible: windy, raining cats and dogs, etc.; so, I feel sorry for any Lucy fans who ventured here. Howsomever, it would have had them scrambling to get inside the various 'events'....

I'm sure Brock will 'catch' anything I might miss; keep listening...

Joyce

In a way Joyce, you are so lucky to live there all the time, where you BORN there?

In a way Joyce, you are so lucky to live there all the time, where you BORN there?

Yes, Claude, born in Jamestown Hospital, WCA, and raised in Celoron until graduation from High School; went to D.C. for 13 months; worked for the government; but, hated the big city, being a small-towner, not being afraid to go out of the house, etc., so settled back home; worked for the Post Journal until marriage; raised three children from first marriage; divorced; remarried, [living in Lakewood for 19 years] one child, now 40; all the rest are older than I am....tee hee; worked 26 years for the NYS United Teachers; retired in 1997. Been here essentially all my life to now; lived an additional 20.5 years in Celoron (old Celoron Park baseball field) in apartment complex after my husband retired from law enforcement in Lakewood-Busti (28 years; plus 2 years early on for Sheriffs Dept]; now, back in Lakewood, after the Celoron apartment building became inhabitable due to the roof caving in, in 2010; complex is now under new ownership; and he is doing a bang-up job refurbishing the compound which had seriously gone to near ruin. Would LOVE to move back; but, the idea of moving again just 'rots my sox', as we used to say....

Hope this gives you an idea about thin's in my life; my father was 17 when Lucille left town at 15; she hung at the Park; he hung at the Pool Hall; no WAY they didn't know each other; my dad's sister went to 9th grade (at least) with Lucille; they both born and raised in Celoron, as well, along with 4 other siblings; all gone now. Lucille Ball is in all our history... Love, JK

Yes, Claude, born in Jamestown Hospital, WCA, and raised in Celoron until graduation from High School; went to D.C. for 13 months; worked for the government; but, hated the big city, being a small-towner, not being afraid to go out of the house, etc., so settled back home; worked for the Post Journal until marriage; raised three children from first marriage; divorced; remarried, [living in Lakewood for 19 years] one child, now 40; all the rest are older than I am....tee hee; worked 26 years for the NYS United Teachers; retired in 1997. Been here essentially all my life to now; lived an additional 20.5 years in Celoron (old Celoron Park baseball field) in apartment complex after my husband retired from law enforcement in Lakewood-Busti (28 years; plus 2 years early on for Sheriffs Dept]; now, back in Lakewood, after the Celoron apartment building became inhabitable due to the roof caving in, in 2010; complex is now under new ownership; and he is doing a bang-up job refurbishing the compound which had seriously gone to near ruin. Would LOVE to move back; but, the idea of moving again just 'rots my sox', as we used to say....

Hope this gives you an idea about thin's in my life; my father was 17 when Lucille left town at 15; she hung at the Park; he hung at the Pool Hall; no WAY they didn't know each other; my dad's sister went to 9th grade (at least) with Lucille; they both born and raised in Celoron, as well, along with 4 other siblings; all gone now. Lucille Ball is in all our history... Love, JK

Now, how do we know for sure that your dad and Lucy didn't GET TOGETHER and YOU are their offspring??? Huh?

JK, your family's history with Lucy is so cool B) !

Thanks, I love it, too! One of the FEW natural-borns here still alive who really LOVE LUCY!!!! Someone the other night at our local Legion spoke disparagingly of her, and her childhood rumors, and I thought: "if you were alive when she was, she would have puked before she ever dated you!!!" That's what I thought and I'm sticking to it!!!! We all have to go through childhood; adolescence, and puberty, as well as searching for Mr. or Ms. Right; she was NO DIFFERENT!!!! She found him (Desi); he hurt her.... He was still her one true love, I believe!

Thanks for Loving Lucy! Fondly, JK

• 4 weeks later...

I learned that turnout was VERY low...like only about 20 people attended the dinner.

I even learned that (at least some) employees didn't find out about it until about a week before the event. I appreciate the fact that they did a MAJOR festival in August with a handful of employees and helpers, but they should have at least sent out a "save the date" note well in advance if they wanted to do an event.

MJF

Archived