Critics Choice locations

I was watching this last evening and was wondering about the theatres used in the filming of this movie. IMDB tells me it was shot at Warners Brothers in CA, which I can see most of it being done there, but the interiors of the theatres are so NYC. Does anyone know if these were sets or was there some NYC filming? They look too accurate to be a set and too New York like to be in LA.

I was watching this last evening and was wondering about the theatres used in the filming of this movie. IMDB tells me it was shot at Warners Brothers in CA, which I can see most of it being done there, but the interiors of the theatres are so NYC. Does anyone know if these were sets or was there some NYC filming? They look too accurate to be a set and too New York like to be in LA.

I'm not sure if they filmed any of the film (at least with Lucy and Bob)in New York. I think I've read (now I can't remember) that the scenes in Sardi's were actually a recreation on set. From the exterior shots of the Times Square area, the exterior of the theater seen at the very beginning of the movie seems like it could possibly be one of the theaters that were torn down to build the Mariott Marquis. I will do some more research. I'm interested in knowing now too.

I'm not sure if they filmed any of the film (at least with Lucy and Bob)in New York. I think I've read (now I can't remember) that the scenes in Sardi's were actually a recreation on set. From the exterior shots of the Time Square area, the exterior of the theater seen at the very beginning of the movie seems like it could possibly be one of the theaters that were torn down to build the Mariott Marquis. I will do some more research. I'm interested in knowing now too.

I'm sure it'll be in your next book, you're unbelievable!

I'm not sure if they filmed any of the film (at least with Lucy and Bob)in New York. I think I've read (now I can't remember) that the scenes in Sardi's were actually a recreation on set. From the exterior shots of the Time Square area, the exterior of the theater seen at the very beginning of the movie seems like it could possibly be one of the theaters that were torn down to build the Mariott Marquis. I will do some more research. I'm interested in knowing now too.

They tore down several theatres to make room for that eye sore?? Geez, and their theatre is pretty bland, too.

They tore down several theatres to make room for that eye sore?? Geez, and their theatre is pretty bland, too.

Five theaters were torn down in 1982 to create the Marriott Marquis - the Helen Hayes, Morosco, Bijou, Astor, and Gaiety. I believe the latter two were no longer in operation. There was a lot of outcry surrounding this. Many people in the Broadway community protested (I believe Lucie and Larry were among those who did so). The Marriott was required to put a theater in the hotel in order to demolish the other theaters. There was a joke in The Drowsy Chaperone, which played the Marriott Marquis, about the musical being performed at the Morosco, which was later torn down to build a hotel. I saw Follies there a couple weeks ago and it was nicer than I remembered, but it's kind of a strange theater.

I saw The Drowsy Chaperone there in '06 but I guess I missed the reference. I also saw the short-lived The Woman In White there. I don't know, it's not the worst theatre ever or anything, it just feels very weird and commercial (which Broadway is, I realize, it's just more in-your-face there), I've always felt more as though I were going to a stage production at Disney World than a Broadway show...

Five theaters were torn down in 1982 to create the Marriott Marquis - the Helen Hayes, Morosco, Bijou, Astor, and Gaiety. I believe the latter two were no longer in operation. There was a lot of outcry surrounding this. Many people in the Broadway community protested (I believe Lucie and Larry were among those who did, so). The Marriott was required to put a theater in the hotel in order to demolish the other theaters. There was a joke in The Drowsy Chaperone, which played the Marriott Marquis, about the musical being performed at the Morosco, which was later torn down to build a hotel. I saw Follies there a couple weeks ago and it was nicer than I remembered, but it's kind of a strange theater.

Remember Tony Randall when introducing Follies at a Tony award ceremony saying when they theaters were torn down, many on Broadway felt a chilly wind?

The line in Drowsey referencing the Morasco and the Marriott was actual in the show before they got to NYC and knew what theatre they were going in. Or so the the story goes. 2 dumb things about the theatre in the Marriott is they forgot dressing rooms when they built it and they built in under the hotel's ballroom so if both are in use at the same time you can hear what is going on upstairs during a quiet moment in a show.

Many are saying it's too bad they could not but Follies in an older theatre but if you think about it, the fate of the theatre in the show is what happened at that exact location.

I hadn't heard about the dressing rooms, what have they done to fix that problem? As far as the ballroom...I forget which clump of theatres it is, but when I saw A Chorus Line a few years back, every now and then I could hear Les Mis come blasting through during quieter moments. And every time I've seen Phantom at The Majestic I've heard at least one siren during the show (especially inappropriate during Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again), lol.

I've heard sirens during shows in NYC too, those walls aren't soundproof. I was watching a backstage video on one of the bway sites and they were showing some of the odd things about the dressing rooms. From what I gathered there were suppose to be stores in the hotel too, and fronts that looked out on to the street. So I think they took some of that space and made dressing rooms. I know they have a big green room there that many of the older NYC theatres lack.

I know there other ways out of that theatre, as I've heard some stage door fans mention. It's interesting to note that many of the older theatres have more then 1 way in and out to backstage. Some even have tunnels that connect them.

A good book to read about backstage life on Bway is Making it on Broadway. It's not a how to book, but a real tell all by the working professionals on how great and how crappy Brodaway can sometimes be.

I'd love a chance to tour that theatre someday, because it seems more tangled than most theatres. And it'd be a dream for a celebrity doing a show, so many secret ways out.

Here is a member of the Follies cast who has some backstage photos at the marque.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/155681-PHOTO-EXCLUSIVE-A-Two-Show-Day-at-Broadways-Follies-With-Christian-Delcroix

Archived