Mary Wickes

Neil

With all the parts she played on television, Miss Esther Cathcart was her greatest role (IMO!). They certainly got their money's worth. Watch this clip and marvel at just how much she brings to the table. She appeared in several Dennis episodes. This one has the added bonus of Alice Pearce as "Miss Tarbell". Whoever did the casting for Dennis was superb. At various times the recurring roles were played by Irene Tedrow, Charles Lane, Williard Waterman (among many others).

Be sure to stick it out until the end for a photo montage.

Dennis overhears Mr. and Mrs. Wilson having a slight argument about their bridge playing. Dennis repeats these statements, which he doesn't understand to Miss Cathcart and Miss Tarbell who assume the Wilson's are breaking up. This was standard sitcom stuff but very cleverly done here. Each plans to be the first to land him. Watch Mary describe Gale Gordon as a "Greek God" with "shoulders out to here and a waist that's (she stops herself)...and shoulders out the here!" Mary's got such a natural quality about her. She's not usually given this much to do. If there had been a series starring these two, I certainly would have watched it.

And don't you miss comedy where someone hides in a clothes rack? And then scoots it across the room?!

With all the parts she played on television, Miss Esther Cathcart was her greatest role (IMO!). They certainly got their money's worth. Watch this clip and marvel at just how much she brings to the table. She appeared in several Dennis episodes. This one has the added bonus of Alice Pearce as "Miss Tarbell". Whoever did the casting for Dennis was superb. At various times the recurring roles were played by Irene Tedrow, Charles Lane, Williard Waterman (among many others).

Be sure to stick it out until the end for a photo montage.

Dennis overhears Mr. and Mrs. Wilson having a slight argument about their bridge playing. Dennis repeats these statements, which he doesn't understand to Miss Cathcart and Miss Tarbell who assume the Wilson's are breaking up. This was standard sitcom stuff but very cleverly done here. Each plans to be the first to land him. Watch Mary describe Gale Gordon as a "Greek God" with "shoulders out to here and a waist that's (she stops herself)...and shoulders out the here!" Mary's got such a natural quality about her. She's not usually given this much to do. If there had been a series starring these two, I certainly would have watched it.

And don't you miss comedy where someone hides in a clothes rack? And then scoots it across the room?!

Thanks for posting that, two absolutely GREAT actresses, or great CHARACTER actresses as Lucy would say, funny that one of them was even called Lucy. Hey, was that Lucy's old necklace and earrings? I know i've seen Lucy wear that ensemble, did she give them to Mary (as she did so many of her clothes) or is it just a similar set? It's a pic of Lucy and Desi, Lucy seen from the side and looking all sophisticated, and i just now it's THAT necklace and earrings.

This is a wonderful clip of two of the greatest character actresses to grace the screen - silver or small! Thanks for sharing. I hope that some day Jack McBrayer gets he lead role in The Alice Pearce Story.

Hey, was that Lucy's old necklace and earrings? I know i've seen Lucy wear that ensemble, did she give them to Mary (as she did so many of her clothes) or is it just a similar set?

ixs2m8.jpg

It's very similar, but Mary's daisies seem to have more petals whereas Lucy's are more solid. If it's the same though Mary must have had it re-mounted on a single strand of pearls. Lucy's daisies look like they're on a triple strand. Good spotting!

This is a wonderful clip of two of the greatest character actresses to grace the screen - silver or small! Thanks for sharing. I hope that some day Jack McBrayer gets he lead role in The Alice Pearce Story.

:marionstrong: I wish I could bankroll this!

ixs2m8.jpg

It's very similar, but Mary's daisies seem to have more petals whereas Lucy's are more solid. If it's the same though Mary must have had it re-mounted on a single strand of pearls. Lucy's daisies look like they're on a triple strand. Good spotting!

I think Lucy's necklace and earrings were/are at the Universal Studios Floria tribute. Although it's possible it's just a similiar pair.

:marionstrong: I wish I could bankroll this!

I think Lucy's necklace and earrings were/are at the Universal Studios Floria tribute. Although it's possible it's just a similiar pair.

But it would be perfectly in character for Lucy to have given hers to Mary though. I always notice when Lucie wears her mom's old jewels.

But it would be perfectly in character for Lucy to have given hers to Mary though. I always notice when Lucie wears her mom's old jewels.

Mary's daisy petals look thinner and whiter but perhaps this was made by the same jeweler (?) - maybe Mary admired Lucy's necklace and Lucy had one made for her, quite possible.

I once read an interview with Pat Priest (Marilyn of THE MUNSTERS) and she mentioned Lucy was a friend and would often send her some of her shoes when she learned they wore the same size. (Don't know how she met Pat, maybe she visited THE MUNSTERS set since it was on "her" network; I know Lucy visited the set of THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES.)

Mary's daisy petals look thinner and whiter but perhaps this was made by the same jeweler (?) - maybe Mary admired Lucy's necklace and Lucy had one made for her, quite possible.

I once read an interview with Pat Priest (Marilyn of THE MUNSTERS) and she mentioned Lucy was a friend and would often send her some of her shoes when she learned they wore the same size. (Don't know how she met Pat, maybe she visited THE MUNSTERS set since it was on "her" network; I know Lucy visited the set of THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES.)

Pat Priest played the flight attendant in "Lucy Goes to London."

Really? What do you know about Lucy's visit to the Hillbillies set?

Really? What do you know about Lucy's visit to the Hillbillies set?

Nothing beyond that she did visit the set - somebody in the cast or production crew mentions in the Beverly Hillbillies series book famous people who dropped by the set and Lucy was one of them. Would LOVE to see a picture of Lucy with the Hillbillies cast - hopefully there is one!!

Nothing beyond that she did visit the set - somebody in the cast or production crew mentions in the Beverly Hillbillies series book famous people who dropped by the set and Lucy was one of them. Would LOVE to see a picture of Lucy with the Hillbillies cast - hopefully there is one!!

Yeah, me too, Hillbillies was my second favorite show at that time after The Lucy Show. LOVED the cast, especially, as the series turned to nonsense in later years. Funny how there's always someone in the cast everybody hates or is crotchety or difficult, Frances Bavier on Andy Griffith, and the actor who played the banker on Hillbillies.

Yeah, me too, Hillbillies was my second favorite show at that time after The Lucy Show. LOVED the cast, especially, as the series turned to nonsense in later years. Funny how there's always someone in the cast everybody hates or is crotchety or difficult, Frances Bavier on Andy Griffith, and the actor who played the banker on Hillbillies.

Actually The Beverly Hillbillies was my favorite show of the era as a kid (sorry Miss Carmichael though I really liked you too.) I never saw a I LOVE LUCY episode until the mid 1970's when I was a teenager though I had always heard about the show via mentions in magazines and the like and then of course I had a new number one. (I remember when I was very young and watching Desi's guest appearance on The Mothers in Law and my cousins mentioned that he was Lucy's former husband (also pointing out her son Desi Jr in the show), it was hard to believe that old man had been married to LUCY! :lucydaze:

Actually The Beverly Hillbillies was my favorite show of the era as a kid (sorry Miss Carmichael though I really liked you too.) I never saw a I LOVE LUCY episode until the mid 1970's when I was a teenager though I had always heard about the show via mentions in magazines and the like and then of course I had a new number one. (I remember when I was very young and watching Desi's guest appearance on The Mothers in Law and my cousins mentioned that he was Lucy's former husband (also pointing out her son Desi Jr in the show), it was hard to believe that old man had been married to LUCY! :lucydaze:

Yes, i've said many many times how hard it is for attractive people to keep their looks as they get older, he got fatter and grey and wrinkled but the old charmer still had something though, even then. I was thinking about your NAME on here today, i have to say that was probably one of the most creative ways of stating your love for the show or Lucy while using it as a clever name on here. WISH I HAD THOUGHT OF THAT!

Thanks for sharing. I hope that some day Jack McBrayer gets he lead role in The Alice Pearce Story.

I had to look him up. He would be great but nobody NOBODY could contort their face and make the noises Alice Pearce did.

I used to know all of the supporting players and this was way before freeze frame so you had to be quick to find out who played who. Nowadays I know few actors' names.

I had to look him up. He would be great but nobody NOBODY could contort their face and make the noises Alice Pearce did.

I used to know all of the supporting players and this was way before freeze frame so you had to be quick to find out who played who. Nowadays I know few actors' names.

Oh Alice was incredibly GREAT, no argument there, and it was so sad when she finally won the EMMY only to have died before the show came on and not being there to receive it, i think it was her hubby that picked it up for her.

Archived