Sid Melton, RIP

Shemp

Veteran character actor Sid Melton has died. He was 94. (A few years older than imdb and other sources report.)

Sid appeared in three episodes of DESILU-WESTINGHOUSE PLAYOUSE (THE LUCY-DESI COMEDY HOUR), "Milton Berle Hides at the Ricardos," "Lucy Goes to Alaska" and "Lucy Wins a Racehorse."

His most well-known roles were on THE DANNY THOMAS SHOW as nightclub owner 'Charley Halper', and of course the inept carpenter 'Alf Monroe' on GREEN ACRES. He also had recurring roles on GOMER PYLE USMC as conman 'Friendly Freddy' and THE GOLDEN GIRLS as the voice of 'Salvadore Petrillo.'

A very funny man, and a very nice man. Rest in peace.

Veteran character actor Sid Melton has died. He was 94. (A few years older than imdb and other sources report.)

Sid appeared in three episodes of DESILU-WESTINGHOUSE PLAYOUSE (THE LUCY-DESI COMEDY HOUR), "Milton Berle Hides at the Ricardos," "Lucy Goes to Alaska" and "Lucy Wins a Racehorse."

His most well-known roles were on THE DANNY THOMAS SHOW as nightclub owner 'Charley Halper', and of course the inept carpenter 'Alf Monroe' on GREEN ACRES. He also had recurring roles on GOMER PYLE USMC as conman 'Friendly Freddy' and THE GOLDEN GIRLS as the voice of 'Salvadore Petrillo.'

Oh i A L W A Y S loved Sid, he was hysterically funny. Absolutely adored him on the Thomas show and then all the way to The Golden Girls. Forgot he was also on Green Acres and Gomer Pyle and so many other roles on other shows. One of the best character actors of all time and an absolute delight as one of the best comedians around.

Thanks, shemp:

This is what I have for him, also (and...thanks for the 'heads up' on his 'real' age; I've changed my entry to reflect age 94 - are you positive?):

Sid Melton, co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), Lemon Drop Kid, 1951; guest, Desilu Productions’, Our Miss Brooks “Four Leaf Clover”, 1954; Whirlybirds “Man, You Kill Me”, unknown year; guest co-star, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Make Room For Daddy, 10 episodes, 1959-63; Official Detective “The Taxi Killers”, 1958; Desilu Productions’, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse’s “K. O. Kitty”, 1958, The Ann Sothern Show “Johnny Moves Up”, and “The Stand-In Heiress”, 1959; The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour “Lucy Wins a Race Horse”, 1958, “Milton Berle Hides at the Ricardos”, and “Lucy Goes to Alaska”, 1959; Desilu Productions', December Bride “The Texan, Rory Calhoun”, and “Pete Has a Baby”, 1959; Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Joey Bishop Show “This Is Your Life”, 1961; as well as Desilu Productions', You Don't Say “Episode dated 7 December 1964”, 1964; is born this date in 1917.

Regards, JK

I copied this over yesterday, from MY 5/23/20 chronology (now, through wiki.ask.com, it's listed Sid was born a day earlier, 5/22, and 3 years earlier, 1917).... perhaps we are 'barking up the wrong tree' trusting IMDb.... ANYONE? Regards, JK

It's official now, courtesy of the L.A. Times. :( :

Sid Melton

Character actor in dozens of TV, film projects

Sid Melton, 94, a character actor perhaps best known for his roles in the hit television shows "Green Acres" and "The Danny Thomas Show," died of pneumonia Wednesday at Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, his family said.

During a career that spanned nearly 60 years, Melton appeared in about 140 television and film projects. They included two 1951 movies, "Lost Continent" with Cesar Romero and the Samuel Fuller-directed "The Steel Helmet," and 1972's "Lady Sings the Blues" with Diana Ross.

On the 1950s TV show "Captain Midnight," Melton co-starred as the hero's sidekick, Ichabod Mudd. Decades later, he recalled that fans still greeted him with the character's signature line: "Mudd with two Ds."

A regular on "The Danny Thomas Show" from 1959 to 1971, Melton played club owner Uncle Charley Halper. Melton also had a recurring role in the late 1960s on the sitcom "Green Acres" as Alf Monroe, half of an inept brother-sister carpenter team. He also appeared in flashback sequences as the husband of Estelle Getty's widowed character on "The Golden Girls" sitcom, which originally aired from 1985 to 1992.

He was born Sidney Meltzer on May 22, 1917, in New York City. His father, Isidor Meltzer, was a comedian in Yiddish theater.

On the stage, Melton debuted in 1939 in a touring production of "See My Lawyer" and appeared in 1947 on Broadway in "The Magic Touch," using his stage name, Sid Melton.

Melton broke in to Hollywood with the help of his older brother, Lewis Meltzer, a screenwriter who adapted "Golden Boy" and "Man With the Golden Arm." After interviewing at MGM, the actor soon had a small part in the 1941 film "Shadow of a Thin Man" with William Powell and Myrna Loy.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-passings-20111104,0,2646778.story

Shemp, thanks for passing along the sad news. :( He was a wonderful actor!

I haven't found anything online though confirming this. Do you have a source?

Dug around this a.m.; found the following:

Sid Melton - Wikipedia on Ask.com

Sid Melton (May 22, 1917 - November 2, 2011) was an American actor known for his roles as incompetent carpenter Alf Monroe in the CBS sitcom Green Acres ... wiki.ask.com/Sid_Melton

This indicates that Sid was born a day prior to what I had fished out of IMDb, 5/22/17; his death is also listed....ANYONE?

Another classic tv star bites the dust. Another Green Acres cast member gone. :( There are now three left from this hysterical, classic show: Tom Lester (Eb), Mary Grace Canfield (Ralph), and Frank Cady (Sam Drucker). RIP Sid, you will be missed!

OMG Frank's still alive??? And RALPH, LOL, i lauhed as soon as i put a face to the name, she cracked me up all the time.

Archived