MGM: 20 Years After (1944)

This is a short film from 1944 celebrating 20 years of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. There's a brief clip of Lucy in their reel of MGM stars. The reason I'm posting this is, does anyone know what the clip of Lucy is from? My first guess would be Meet the People (also from 1944), which I haven't seen in a while. However, I don't remember her hair and costuming like this in the film. Could it have just been a piece of film taken for publicity purposes? Anyone know? Lucy looks terrific.

She appears at 7:29.

Thank you for sharing this! Nothing like Old Hollywood. I just love footage like this - so fun to watch! It's nice to see Lucy included in MGM's roster of stars. She looks gorgeous! I haven't watched Meet the People in awhile either, but I also don't remember Lucy looking like that (I love her hair!) in the film. I can't say for certain, but my guess is that they dolled her up and shot some brief footage for publicity purposes.

TCM has shown this between movies in the past. A few months ago I turned it about a minute before Lucy popped up and I had no idea what this film was. Lucy really does look incredible here. From watching this you really know she was a MOVIE STAR(!!!), which people like to downplay.

Thanks for sharing this. It's easy to miss these youtube gems!

My guess is that it's a b/w pose from Dubarry, though don't remember this particular shot. Looks very much like her Life magazine "Technicolor Tessie" spread.

And here's an MGM reunion 30 years later!

"I guess Lucy couldn' make eet.".....but LASSIE COULD!

Thanks for sharing this. It's easy to miss these youtube gems!

My guess is that it's a b/w pose from Dubarry, though don't remember this particular shot. Looks very much like her Life magazine "Technicolor Tessie" spread.

And here's an MGM reunion 30 years later!

"I guess Lucy couldn' make eet.".....but LASSIE COULD!

I love these all-star parades. This was done in conjunction with "That's Entertainment!" There are some very questionable ommissions and inclusions here. I believe Gloria Swanson was briefly under contract to the studio in the 1940s, but never made a picture for them. Adele Astaire was never a film performer. This was May 1974. Lucy's Mame press tour was over by then, I believe. I wonder why she wasn't there. Where was Ann Miller who made a second career out of being a former MGM star (and I love Ann Miller)?

Completely random observation: Cloris Leachman wore the same exact outfit Janet Leigh is wearing here in a Mary Tyler Moore episode a few months later.

• 4 years later...

An RKO reunion. The video's description says this was 1979, but it was actually May 29, 1982. Everybody was there - even Hermes Pan, world's great choreographer. The big exception was Lucy! I wonder why she wasn't in attendance. With missing out on this and the big MGM reunion, could she have not had any interest in recalling her film career? 

7:32 :  Frances finally made it!!

An RKO reunion. The video's description says this was 1979, but it was actually May 29, 1982. Everybody was there - even Hermes Pan, world's great choreographer. The big exception was Lucy! I wonder why she wasn't in attendance. With missing out on this and the big MGM reunion, could she have not had any interest in recalling her film career? 

Archived