Fancy Pants

I'm watching Fancy Pants for the first time, what's up with it saying "Miss Lucille Ball" in the opening credits? Did the studio hope the "Miss" would make her more appealing to out-of-the-loop moviegoers?

Other comments sure to follow as I'm 2 minutes in and already highly amused but Lucy and her mom.

"Miss Lucille Ball" was a joke because Bob Hope was billed as "Mr. Robert Hope (Formerly Bob)."

I hope you enjoy, Robbie! If I'm being totally honest I have to say Fancy Pants is probably one of my LEAST favorite Lucy movies. Lucy and Bob are great together but the script and overall premise of the movie is too over the top for me and I just don't find it that funny. It's weird because The Fuller Brush Girl, one of my FAVORITE Lucy movies, is also very broad and over the top, but I just find it much funnier!

Sorry...don't mean to be a wet blanket on your innaugural viewing of Fancy Pants! I sincerely hope you enjoy and maybe you can enlighten me on what I'm missing! :peachonthebeach:

I hope you enjoy, Robbie! If I'm being totally honest I have to say Fancy Pants is probably one of my LEAST favorite Lucy movies. Lucy and Bob are great together but the script and overall premise of the movie is too over the top for me and I just don't find it that funny. It's weird because The Fuller Brush Girl, one of my FAVORITE Lucy movies, is also very broad and over the top, but I just find it much funnier!

Which of the "Bob Ball and Lucy Hope" pairings do you like the best?

I wasn't the greatest fan of Fancy Pants on my first viewing but have grown to love it. Even though the plot had been adapted for the screen before, one of the things I like about it how it is almost a P.G. Wodehouse novel turned inside out and our two leads seem to be having a great time throughout. Lucy looks damn good too. Also, I'm a sucker for the scenes between Bob Hope and Norma Varden. :marionstrong:

This just leaves me with Sorrowful Jones to watch someday. Of the three Ball-Hope outings I've seen, I have to say this is my least favorite. The Facts of Life seems so sophisticated and Lucy gives, in my opinion, one of her best performances. I might love Critic's Choice just because it combines Lucy and the theatre world, but I also think her and Bob's chemistry is best here. Fancy Pants is pretty ridiculous, but probably not much moreso than the average picture from this era. I didn't care much for any of the musical numbers, but I did like the last bit with the fight for the scrapbook. The next time I watch I'll know to go in with complete suspension of disbelief...and maybe a shot or two, lol.

Which of the "Bob Ball and Lucy Hope" pairings do you like the best?

I wasn't the greatest fan of Fancy Pants on my first viewing but have grown to love it. Even though the plot had been adapted for the screen before, one of the things I like about it how it is almost a P.G. Wodehouse novel turned inside out and our two leads seem to be having a great time throughout. Lucy looks damn good too. Also, I'm a sucker for the scenes between Bob Hope and Norma Varden. :marionstrong:

Our Technicolor Tessie does look beautiful and it's obvious that Lucy and Bob love working together, but I don't know! It just doesn't send me. :peachonthebeach: Maybe if I force myself to watch it a dozen or so times - and I like Robbie's idea about a shot or two (or three) - it will grow on me! :professor:

My favorite Bob Ball/Lucy Hope pairing, and I'm sure I'm a minority on this one, is Sorrowful Jones. Although the plot had been adapted for the screen before (and many reviewers would say the original Little Miss Marker is better), I'm a sap and I love the story and the chemistry between Lucy and Bob. The Facts of Life is their best picture together, but Sorrowful Jones is my favorite.

Based on PERSONAL PREFERENCE/what I watch most often, I'd rank Bob Ball and Lucy Hope movies this way:

1. Sorrowful Jones

2. The Facts of Life (almost tied with Sorrowful Jones)

3. Critic's Choice

4. Fancy Pants

• 5 months later...

Archived