When Rock Hudson and Tallulah Bankhead throw a party...

Brock

Rock Hudson and Tallulah Bankhead host a brilliant, swinging party featuring Esther Williams, Mort Sahl, Sammy Davis Jr., etc.

Lisa Kirk: Tallulah, are you sure you're not thinking of Hildegarde?

Tallulah: I NEVER think of Hildegarde!

Esther: I'm just sitting here in my pool.

Tallulah: Naturally.

Tallulah: A Greek millionaire with a yacht? How Callas can you be? :D:unsure:

Rock Hudson and Tallulah Bankhead host a brilliant, swinging party featuring Esther Williams, Mort Sahl, Sammy Davis Jr., etc.

Lisa Kirk: Tallulah, are you sure you're not thinking of Hildegarde?

Tallulah: I NEVER think of Hildegarde!

Esther: I'm just sitting here in my pool.

Tallulah: Naturally.

Tallulah: A Greek millionaire with a yacht? How Callas can you be? :D:unsure:

One has to admit that Tallulah had a sharp tongue and clever wit about any subject, that show about her with Valerie Harper must have been a hoot, wish Lucy had played her on stage before she died.

My husband's cousin just had a baby and named her Tallulah. The name got talked about the other week when we are at the grandmother's funeral. The minister mentioned the name and that the only woman he knew with that name was Tallulah Bankhead and she was quite a character. I was talking to my sister-in-law and she said she looked up Tallulah on Wkipedia and enjoyed the stories abiout Ms. Bankhead. I then told her the one about Tallulah stripping on the Lucy set when someone said they liked her sweater. The baby's mom has never heard of Talluah Bankhead but says that she gets asked if she named her baby after her quite frequently.

My husband's cousin just had a baby and named her Tallulah. The name got talked about the other week when we are at the grandmother's funeral. The minister mentioned the name and that the only woman he knew with that name was Tallulah Bankhead and she was quite a character. I was talking to my sister-in-law and she said she looked up Tallulah on Wkipedia and enjoyed the stories abiout Ms. Bankhead. I then told her the one about Tallulah stripping on the Lucy set when someone said they liked her sweater. The baby's mom has never heard of Talluah Bankhead but says that she gets asked if she named her baby after her quite frequently.

This makes my heart warm, I'm so glad some people remember Tallulah as she's, well, quite memorable and worth being remembered!

I'll have to find time to sit down and watch this...I love Tallulah's quick wit and would especially love to see her use it against Esther Williams, lol.

This makes my heart warm, I'm so glad some people remember Tallulah as she's, well, quite memorable and worth being remembered!

I'll have to find time to sit down and watch this...I love Tallulah's quick wit and would especially love to see her use it against Esther Williams, lol.

Yeah Esther always looks like she's cold and icy, i'm glad Tallulah had a go at her, LOL! My favorite Tallulah story and i've already told it a hundred times, i feel like Carol Burnett and her famous Lucy story . . . Tallulah went to the restroom and there was no toilet paper, so she asks the lady in the next stall if she has some to give her but the lady answers that no, it's the same sotry in hers, no toilet paper, so Tallulah shoots back, OK, THEN, DO YOU HAVE TWO FIVES FOR A TEN? :marionstrong::lucythrill::hlLOL:

What did Mrs. Lamas say?

Well, i guess it wasn't a diss, it was when Lucy and Desi met Esther and Fernando on the street in Hollywood or at a party somewhere and Lucy chastised Esther's Fernando saying it was those damned Latin men and their womanizing ways and Esther shot back that Desi didn't need anybody's help in that department as he was quite the letch on his own thank you very much. Read that in a book one time. But i find that although she's very attractive and still great looking, she looks so snobby and snooty.

Tallulah was great on BATMAN, and, in her last film FANATIC (aka DIE MY DARLING DIE). But her great humour is at it's best in that 90min radio series from the 40s (and 50s ?) she hosted which had big stars every week doing comedy, music and drama. Can't recall if Lucille guested on that show. But Tallulah's frequent acid quips about Bette Davis each week was very funny.

Tallulah was great on BATMAN, and, in her last film FANATIC (aka DIE MY DARLING DIE). But her great humour is at it's best in that 90min radio series from the 40s (and 50s ?) she hosted which had big stars every week doing comedy, music and drama. Can't recall if Lucille guested on that show. But Tallulah's frequent acid quips about Bette Davis each week was very funny.

I'm sure Tallulah was even better than Davis or Crawford, spent hours yesterday listening to them on various talk shows on You Tube. They were all real bitches but so entertaining, not boring and nauseating like today's stars, LOL!

Well, i guess it wasn't a diss, it was when Lucy and Desi met Esther and Fernando on the street in Hollywood or at a party somewhere and Lucy chastised Esther's Fernando saying it was those damned Latin men and their womanizing ways and Esther shot back that Desi didn't need anybody's help in that department as he was quite the letch on his own thank you very much. Read that in a book one time. But i find that although she's very attractive and still great looking, she looks so snobby and snooty.

I mean, kinda sounds like Lucy had it coming... And I think Esther looks a tad snooty because of her facial structure.

Didn't know about her radio show...any episodes available anywhere?

I'm sure Tallulah was even better than Davis or Crawford, spent hours yesterday listening to them on various talk shows on You Tube. They were all real bitches but so entertaining, not boring and nauseating like today's stars, LOL!

I wonder, if Davis had never come to town, might Tallulah be remembered today as Davis is? Certainly Tallulah could have handled any role Davis tackled.

I mean, kinda sounds like Lucy had it coming... And I think Esther looks a tad snooty because of her facial structure.

BITE YOUR TONGUE, LUCY NEVER DID ANYTHING WRONG IN HER WHOLE LIFE, WELL, MAYBE ONE THING, BUT ENOUGH ABOUT GARY, lol!

I wonder, if Davis had never come to town, might Tallulah be remembered today as Davis is? Certainly Tallulah could have handled any role Davis tackled.

PROBABLY AS TALLULAH PLAYED ALL THOSE PARTS ON STAGE AND THAT DAVIS WOMAN GOT TO DO THEM IN FILMS.

• 4 weeks later...

I just caught this now and this is such a strange story. Esther and Fernando didn't marry until nine years after Lucy and Desi got divorced, although the two were a couple for several years before. Fernando was still (for a brief time) married to Arlene Dahl when Lucy and Desi divorced. Perhaps Esther made this story up like how she said Jeff Chandler was a crossdresser.

I just caught this now and this is such a strange story. Esther and Fernando didn't marry until nine years after Lucy and Desi got divorced, although the two were a couple for several years before. Fernando was still (for a brief time) married to Arlene Dahl when Lucy and Desi divorced. Perhaps Esther made this story up like how she said Jeff Chandler was a crossdresser.

Well, there ya go, did not know that about her, loved Arlene Dahl though and she was great friends with Lucy so Fernando should have stuck with HER! Arlene was Fernando Lamas' mom and she was gorgeous, wonder if she's still around.

Arlene is still around. Here she is at an event last year: i5rg2d.jpg

Ah yes, still looking great, and always so glamorous, she was the Ruta Lee of her day, LOL! I had so many pics of her with Lucy in my old scrapbooks. I think they were both part of the redhead club together. Obviously they also shared a love for ostrich feathers. Cover everything but her eyes and hair and you get a bit of Carol Burnett.

Archived