Comedienne Pat Carroll (still going strong!)

rickee

The wundaful (and Desilu, of course!) Dick Van Dyke Show, I'm guessin'?? ;)

Yes...three of the other new comedies were comebacks by established stars Robert Young "Window on Main Street" Gertrude Berg "Mrs. G Goes to College (co-starring Mary Wickes), Bob Cummings ("The NEW Bob Cummings Show"--has "the NEW" anything ever worked?); one based on a hit movie "Father of the Bride" plus "Ichabod and Me", a small town charm-com, bought by CBS most likely because of the success of the previous season's debut of "the Andy Griffith Show".

"Dick Van Dyke" rose to the top of the ratings on its return helped in no small part by the runaway surprise success of its lead-in "The Beverly Hillbillies". Legend has it that DVD would have been canceled but big guns Sheldon Leonard (its producer) and Lucy (its landlord) went to bat for it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucy was originally slated to be the star of The Star. I wonder how different the movie would have been.

"The Star" isn't much of a movie and Bette isn't very good in it. She acts like a Bette Davis impersonator and her Ethel Mertz-hairdo is unbecoming. Lucy would have brought more pathos to the movie and yes, it would have been completely different and better. But NOBODY tosses people out of a room like Bette does to her freeloading sister and husband!

My favorite line of the movie: Bette's sister (Fay Baker) is defending the failure of her husband Roy's business ventures (all backed by Bette) and Bette asks them for a loan of $200.

Fay: Margaret! Where would we get that kind of money?

Margaret (Bette mustering up all the sarcasm she can muster): Well you could PRINT it, if I'd only thought to buy Roy a printing press!!

"The Star" isn't much of a movie and Bette isn't very good in it. She acts like a Bette Davis impersonator and her Ethel Mertz-hairdo is unbecoming. Lucy would have brought more pathos to the movie and yes, it would have been completely different and better. But NOBODY tosses people out of a room like Bette does to her freeloading sister and husband!

My favorite line of the movie: Bette's sister (Fay Baker) is defending the failure of her husband Roy's business ventures (all backed by Bette) and Bette asks them for a loan of $200.

Fay: Margaret! Where would we get that kind of money?

Margaret (Bette mustering up all the sarcasm she can muster): Well you could PRINT it, if I'd only thought to buy Roy a printing press!!

LOL! I remember that line and you're right about everything. The hair, the not caring about the movie and it showed and there's just not that much to the film. You also reminded me of the charming Ichabod and me, haven't thought about that show in decades, LOL! In your previous post. Yes, i remember Lucy herself saying that she had fought the network to keep Van Dyke on the air, it started out exactly asd Cheers and many other shows, doing terrible in the ratings and then a complete turnaround and success at last.

Thank you, i was wondering who that actor was reminding me of.

I'm joining Claude in thanking you for the identification of the 'three', as well....

Also, for saying Pandora was a SEGMENT of The Ann Sothern Show; might make it easier for me to find mention of it. Fondly, JK

Th trailer has that scene:

Watching this trailer, I can SEE Lucille in that role; she would have been great, as well.

Thanks for posting it....Amazing har FAR AFIELD we can get from honoring Pat Carroll, isn't it? One thought reminds of another....

Fondly, JK

Watching this trailer, I can SEE Lucille in that role; she would have been great, as well.

Thanks for posting it....Amazing har FAR AFIELD we can get from honoring Pat Carroll, isn't it? One thought reminds of another....

Fondly, JK

Not her best role, i can see her overdoing it in many parts. A bit over the top. And Pat's a doll so she wouldn't mind us going here and there.

I'm joining Claude in thanking you for athe identification of the 'three', as well....

Also, for saying Pandora was a SEGMENT of The Ann Sothern Show; might make it easier for me to find mention of it. Fondly, JK

"Ann Sothern" followed "Danny Thomas" for two seasons on Monday night and it did pretty good in the ratings. For the third season CBS moved it to Thursday opposite the big hit "Untouchables" and the ratings dwindled. It was "Untouchables" best ratings season. I wonder if Desi fought the networks scheduling two Desilu shows opposite each other. I think these were the only two Desilu productions, and "Ann" was a co-venture with "Anso Productions". That fall schedule would have come out in the spring of 1960. Desi's focus may have been elsewhere. No new Desilu shows were on the 1961 fall schedule.

"Pandora" aired on March 16, 1961, one of the last new Ann Sothern episodes. The only thing missing from the clip I posted is a scene set in New York where Katy is planning the trip to Hollywood.

Another pilot "Always April" aired as an "Ann" episode. It starred Constance Bennett and John Emery. Could it have been the Ann was tired of this obsession with her weight and wanted to get into producing? She is a whole lot bigger this season and the outfits designed to disguise her weight were bordering on the ludicrous: HUGE collars and puffy skirts. As the theme song lyrics said "(The fellas) want more more more more MORE...of KATY!" Well, they got it.

"Ann Sothern" followed "Danny Thomas" for two seasons on Monday night and it did pretty good in the ratings. For the third season CBS moved it to Thursday opposite the big hit "Untouchables" and the ratings dwindled. It was "Untouchables" best ratings season. I wonder if Desi fought the networks scheduling two Desilu shows opposite each other. I think these were the only two Desilu productions, and "Ann" was a co-venture with "Anso Productions". That fall schedule would have come out in the spring of 1960. Desi's focus may have been elsewhere. No new Desilu shows were on the 1961 fall schedule.

"Pandora" aired on March 16, 1961, one of the last new Ann Sothern episodes. The only thing missing from the clip I posted is a scene set in New York where Katy is planning the trip to Hollywood.

Another pilot "Always April" aired as an "Ann" episode. It starred Constance Bennett and John Emery. Could it have been the Ann was tired of this obsession with her weight and wanted to get into producing? She is a whole lot bigger this season and the outfits designed to disguise her weight were bordering on the ludicrous: HUGE collars and puffy skirts. As the theme song lyrics said "(The fellas) want more more more more MORE...of KATY!" Well, they got it.

And yet, in her final film appearance with Davis and Gish in the Whales of August, she was gigantic but that didn't stop her from getting an Academy award nomination for the role. My family never missed a show with Ann, she was well loved at our house.

Neil: Are you positive about the 'air date'? IMDb says:

"Original Air Date: 3 March 1961" Would you care to give me the site which gives you the 16th information as air date?

Thanks, JK

• 1 month later...

You're a riot!

It's too bad Ann didn't jump at the chance to join The Lucy Show full time after Vivian left. She played supporting parts in three big movies in 1964-65: The Best Man, Lady in a Cage, and Sylvia. She has really showy parts in Lady in a Cage and Sylvia as boozy floozies, but it kind of sad to see this is where she ended up. Count the times she's referred to (or, more frequently, refers to herself) as "fat" (or a "tramp," but that's, of course, the character). Ann was the mystery guest on What's My Line? in January 1865 (right before the Countess shows started airing). The panel was actually sure was was Vivian and don't end up guessing Ann. They do say in the post-game discussion how she should get the Oscar for Lady in a Cage. She really is Oscar worthy in Lady in a Cage, but the movie probably wasn't classy enough for the Academy. She did get a Golden Globe nomination that year, but for her less showy role in The Man Man (Angela Lansbury is about to play the role in the Broadway revival). It's a shame Ann didn't have a huge success as Mame. She was originally announced to star in the musical on Broadway. Supposedly, Ann turned the show down. Angela Lansbury should be thankful every single day. While watching TCM's Star of the Month salute to Lansbury last month, it was shocking to see how little she had to do in the films she did following The Manchurian Candidate. Mame really saved her career. It's a shame Ann didn't become the Toast of Broadway instead of voicing My Mother the Car.

It's too bad Ann didn't jump at the chance to join The Lucy Show full time after Vivian left. She played supporting parts in three big movies in 1964-65: The Best Man, Lady in a Cage, and Sylvia. She has really showy parts in Lady in a Cage and Sylvia as boozy floozies, but it kind of sad to see this is where she ended up. Count the times she's referred to (or, more frequently, refers to herself) as "fat" (or a "tramp," but that's, of course, the character). Ann was the mystery guest on What's My Line? in January "1865" (right before the Countess shows started airing). The panel was actually sure was was Vivian and don't end up guessing Ann. They do say in the post-game discussion how she should get the Oscar for Lady in a Cage. She really is Oscar worthy in Lady in a Cage, but the movie probably wasn't classy enough for the Academy. She did get a Golden Globe nomination that year, but for her less showy role in "The Man Man" (Angela Lansbury is about to play the role in the Broadway revival). It's a shame Ann didn't have a huge success as Mame. She was originally announced to star in the musical on Broadway. Supposedly, Ann turned the show down. Angela Lansbury should be thankful every single day. While watching TCM's Star of the Month salute to Lansbury last month, it was shocking to see how little she had to do in the films she did following The Manchurian Candidate. Mame really saved her career. It's a shame Ann didn't become the Toast of Broadway instead of voicing My Mother the Car.

What an insightful post. Lady in a cage, is that the one with Olivia DeHavilland terrified by captors in her own house elevator? If so, Lucy was offered that part, she described the parts offered to her at that time and mentionned this exact plot. I so would have wanted Ann to be Lucy's new partner on the show, they worked so well together. Wasn't aware Ann was THAT old, doing a What's My Line play in 1865 or that angie baby plays a man in the man man. Must be a very old and ugly man.

What an insightful post. Lady in a cage, is that the one with Olivia DeHavilland terrified by captors in her own house elevator? If so, Lucy was offered that part, she described the parts offered to her at that time and mentionned this exact plot. I so would have wanted Ann to be Lucy's new partner on the show, they worked so well together. Wasn't aware Ann was THAT old, doing a What's My Line play in 1865 or that angie baby plays a man in the man man. Must be a very old and ugly man.

"The Best Man." -_-

Yes, "Lady in the Cage" is the Olivia DeHavilland movie. Ann played a fat, drunken hooker.

"The Best Man." -_-

Yes, "Lady in the Cage" is the Olivia DeHavilland movie. Ann played a fat, drunken hooker.

I apologize for making fun of your typing errors, i do them all the time and so enjoy it when it happens to someone else, LOL! You know, i think i even BOUGHT the dvd of Lady in a Cage, but i swear to God, i did not remember that Ann was in that, let alone playing a fat drunken hooker.

HA! If Mary Jane did the part would she say, "Whattya doing in the closet?"

I think with just a little reworking the plot of "Lady in a Cage" could have been turned into a pretty good "here's Lucy" with that "Cops and robbers" guy in the james Caan role.

Speaking of closets and "Cage", Sade was locked in one and as far as anyone in the movie is concerned she's still in there! There was a scene where they kill Sade but it was cut. There's something a little unseemly about "Lady in a Cage" that keeps it from being classier---maybe the eye-gouging shot. But Ann's performance was A+. Even more oscar-worthy was her lead in "The Killing Kind" from 1973 or 74.

I think keeping the Countess's appearances to a handful a season was a better idea than having Ann as a weekly regular. She was always a welcome addition, but better a guest star than a weekly co-star. I wish her appearances had continued. When I talked to Howard McClay during the 5th season of "here's Lucy"'s, I specifically suggested bringing back Ann. His response: "she has a weight problem"...That "weight" issue again! Honestly, it's not like she was as big as Orson Welles. It must have been something else besides the "My Mother, the Car" excuse because that was strictly voice over work and wouldn't have cut into her availability. (Had she appeared on screen, they would have had to change the title to "My Mother, the Winnebago"--sorry, these are just too hard to resist).

I know Ann was one of those considered from "Mame", but I can't imagine at that point she actually turned down a chance to light up Broadway. I've never heard that the producers were serious about her. She did play "Mame" for an extended run in 1969 in Honolulu and was a smash.

I think with just a little reworking the plot of "Lady in a Cage" could have been turned into a pretty good "here's Lucy" with that "Cops and robbers" guy in the james Caan role.

Speaking of closets and "Cage", Sade was locked in one and as far as anyone in the movie is concerned she's still in there! There was a scene where they kill Sade but it was cut. There's something a little unseemly about "Lady in a Cage" that keeps it from being classier---maybe the eye-gouging shot. But Ann's performance was A+. Even more oscar-worthy was her lead in "The Killing Kind" from 1973 or 74.

I think keeping the Countess's appearances to a handful a season was a better idea than having Ann as a weekly regular. She was always a welcome addition, but better a guest star than a weekly co-star. I wish her appearances had continued. When I talked to Howard McClay during the 5th season of "here's Lucy"'s, I specifically suggested bringing back Ann. His response: "she has a weight problem"...That "weight" issue again! Honestly, it's not like she was as big as Orson Welles. It must have been something else besides the "My Mother, the Car" excuse because that was strictly voice over work and wouldn't have cut into her availability. (Had she appeared on screen, they would have had to change the title to "My Mother, the Winnebago"--sorry, these are just too hard to resist).

I know Ann was one of those considered from "Mame", but I can't imagine at that point she actually turned down a chance to light up Broadway. I've never heard that the producers were serious about her. She did play "Mame" for an extended run in 1969 in Honolulu and was a smash.

Funny how that weight obsession existed even way back then for actresses in show business. Heard they offered Ann the lead in Poseidon adventure but not the Shelley Winters role, they wanted her to play the boat. Funny that the one we were originally talking about on this thread, Pat Carroll, was also full bodied, as was Reta Shaw, that constant supporting player on The Lucy Show. The Marx Brothers' Margaret Dumont, singer Kate Smith, Sophie Tucker, Kathryn Grayson later in life, all the way to today's Gaboury Sidabe, the two main stars of Mike and Molly and the whole slew of actresses who have been told to lose weight on tv shows and even movie stars, but that list would be too long to go into.

• 1 year later...

Archived