Flubs from I Love Lucy

In this thread, post flubs that you've noticed, and haven't necessarily seen anywhere else.

In "Lucy Plays Cupid", at breakfast when Lucy is explaining to Ricky that she wants to help, you can faintly hear someone near the camera loudly whisper, "WHAT" just before Lucy calls out her line of the same word! I never noticed it before now...and it's so distinct!

Another one from the same episode, which is mentioned on the DVD, is that you can hear a cymbal in the background on the set from the band. It happens just as Miss Lewis is sitting with Lucy on the couch.

Now share yours! :)

How funny that you should post this today! I noticed a big flub in the Homecoming episode I watched recently that I had never noticed before. I knew next time I stopped by the Lounge I wanted to share it with people who would get a kick out of it, too -- fellow Lucy fans! :D

During the party scene Lucy is wearing her Don Loper dress & she has accessorized it with a belt with a sparkly square buckle. Ricky pushes his way through the crowd at the front door, & somehow he must have torn Lucy's buckle off. I assume it ended up in his hand because I can hear her say,(& this must have been an ad-lib) "That's mine, dear." I watched her surreptitiously try to reattach it a few times with no luck. You can tell by the way her hand is curled that she is holding it & hiding it from view.

Eventually she either gets it back on herself or they stopped filming for a bit to do so. When she turns from the door & walks a few steps back into the living room it is in place again.

How funny that you should post this today! I noticed a big flub in the Homecoming episode I watched recently that I had never noticed before. I knew next time I stopped by the Lounge I wanted to share it with people who would get a kick out of it, too -- fellow Lucy fans! :D

During the party scene Lucy is wearing her Don Loper dress & she has accessorized it with a belt with a sparkly square buckle. Ricky pushes his way through the crowd at the front door, & somehow he must have torn Lucy's buckle off. I assume it ended up in his hand because I can hear her say,(& this must have been an ad-lib) "That's mine, dear." I watched her surreptitiously try to reattach it a few times with no luck. You can tell by the way her hand is curled that she is holding it & hiding it from view.

Eventually she either gets it back on herself or they stopped filming for a bit to do so. When she turns from the door & walks a few steps back into the living room it is in place again.

How cool to find something "new" in something we've all seen a hundred times!! Can't wait to look for it! cool.gif

In "Cuban Pals," Ricky is trying to translate what Lucy said to his guests, and says it in English instead of Spanish and starts laughing. Is this known to be a real messup or part of the script? Some people say it was scripted.

And here's one of my faves; in "Redecorating the Mertzes Apartment," Lucy says "paint the furniture and reupholster the old furniture" but Desi corrects her on camera.

In "Lucy & John Wayne," at the end when Lucy runs to the door, she pushes Desi out of the way because he was standing on her mark or something.

In "Bon Voyage," when Lucy is lowered down and Ricky grabs onto her only to be pulled up, he kicks Vivian in the face. lolz.

In "Lucy learns to drive," when Lucy "freezes" at the end, a fly lands right on top of her head.

In "Redecorating," when Ricky comes in the bedroom to see the wallpaper you can see Bill standing in the living room waiting for his cue.

In "Ricky Minds the baby," Lucy's shoes change when she goes from the Mertz apartment to her own apartment.

• 7 months later...

In "Cuban Pals," Ricky is trying to translate what Lucy said to his guests, and says it in English instead of Spanish and starts laughing. Is this known to be a real messup or part of the script? Some people say it was scripted.

I believe that this wasn't scripted. I truly think it was a mistake as you can see Lucy and Desi having a chuckle together afterwards that looks real. I like how they kept filming through the mistake, truly makes it feel "live" and realistic.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I watched the Here's Lucy episode where Lucy & Lucie dress up like pickles for a commercial, & noticed something that is not exactly a flub, but was funny to me when I saw it :) .

Gale Gordon's tongue is a bluish green color! In an early scene he is talking on the telephone & that's where I first noticed it. I saw it twice more after that. He must have eaten something colorful before the taping :gale1:

In Lucy & Superman you can see the rain coming looking out the window from inside the vacant apartment while Martha and Husband are talking about her dizzy spells well before it starts to rain down on Lucy just outside said window. LOL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I recently watched the episode where Lucy hires Percy the tutor, & in the last scene when he is purposely adding Ricky's accent, there is Ricky standing right next to him, mouthing all of his words right along with him :) . Never noticed that before.

He tends to do that a lot. In Breaking the Lease he does that when Lucy says 'AND WHO TOLD YOU COULD PLAY THE PIANO!' There is others that I cannot think on the top of my head, but yep that was pretty common for Desi.

• 2 weeks later...

Geez, no wonder we all get confused about the number of years the Mertzs were married. In the episode i just watched, Vacation from Marriage, at the beginning, Ethel says that Fred has been doing that bit with his glasses for 22 years, the exact same way. But later, Fred tells Ricky it's been that way for 25 years. Did anybody EVER read those scripts over?

Geez, no wonder we all get confused about the number of years the Mertzs were married. In the episode i just watched, Vacation from Marriage, at the beginning, Ethel says that Fred has been doing that bit with his glasses for 22 years, the exact same way. But later, Fred tells Ricky it's been that way for 25 years. Did anybody EVER read those scripts over?

Nah, that just means Fred was plugging ol' Ethie for 25 years, but finally made her an honest woman 22 years ago. :marionstrong:

• 10 months later...

It's not necessarily a flub, but I noticed a very small continuity error in The Ricardos Change Apartments the other night:

Earlier in Season Two, we had the flashback segment to Sales Resistance where Ricky is singing There's a Brand New Baby in Our House into the tape recorder. He mentions it as a song he's written in honour of Lucy and the newborn Little Ricky with the pronouns changed so the song he wrote for Lucie's birth now reflects a baby boy. Fast forward a few episodes to "Swishing Apartments" and Desi saunters into the old apartment singing the song, this time with the Lucie lyrics.

• 4 weeks later...

When Ricky's mother is visiting, Lucy tries to tell her they are having chicken and rice and his mother finally figures it out to be arroz con polo. Why can't Lucy remember the name if it's Ricky's favorite dish, it's been mentioned numerous times in the show til this point and Lucy had to have made it a ton by this point in their marriage?

I'm having Cuban for dinner Sat night in Atlantic City. I'm very tempted to order this just to see what all the hype is about.

When Ricky's mother is visiting, Lucy tries to tell her they are having chicken and rice and his mother finally figures it out to be arroz con polo. Why can't Lucy remember the name if it's Ricky's favorite dish, it's been mentioned numerous times in the show til this point and Lucy had to have made it a ton by this point in their marriage?

I'm having Cuban for dinner Sat night in Atlantic City. I'm very tempted to order this just to see what all the hype is about.

If you recall, at the end of it, Lucy does say OH I KNEW THAT!  I was wondering about the one I saw where Lucy has to tell Desi, THE PHONE, DEAR, like maybe he wasn't picking it up fast enough?  Or she was afraid he forgot?

It's an ad lib but I think the phone may have rung early and he had one more line.

Desi did indeed forget, he was laughing at Bill's line and then Lucy says 'the phone,dear', I love these moments. Still in character! Especially when Desi ad libs to Lucy's mistakes. Haha.

Desi did indeed forget, he was laughing at Bill's line and then Lucy says 'the phone,dear', I love these moments. Still in character! Especially when Desi ad libs to Lucy's mistakes. Haha.

Well, it was easier for him, she had most of the lines and he had like two per show sometimes.

Perfect thread!

We had a mini Lucy marathon last night and watched 'The Diner' and 'The Black Wig'; there is one of them when Lucy comes back home with Little Ricky and she 'talks' to Ricky but her lips NEVER move!! and if you hear it closely it sounds like a 'voice over'.

Archived