Voice Dubbing in Hollywood

Luvsbway

Here is a great video of singing in the movies and who really was singing for the stars from old Hollywood through Glee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wowXaIuWv0&feature=player_embedded

Lucy is shown for Fancy Pants. Jimmy's Lucille Ball FAQ book has a whole chapter on Lucy singing. Everytime she was shown singing in a movie and who was her voice dubber if she had one. It also lists the TV singing appearences too and when that may have been dubbed, usually by Carole Cook.

Here is a great video of singing in the movies and who really was singing for the stars from old Hollywood through Glee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wowXaIuWv0&feature=player_embedded

Lucy is shown for Fancy Pants. Jimmy's Lucille Ball FAQ book has a whole chapter on Lucy singing. Everytime she was shown singing in a movie and who was her voice dubber if she had one. It also lists the TV singing appearences too and when that may have been dubbed, usually by Carole Cook.

But you fail to mention that Lucy herself did some voice dubbing and in a movie yet, she subbed for an inebriated Lee Marvin in Cat Balou i think, LOL! She was the ony one whose voice went that low.

• 3 weeks later...

But you fail to mention that Lucy herself did some voice dubbing and in a movie yet, she subbed for an inebriated Lee Marvin in Cat Balou i think, LOL! She was the ony one whose voice went that low.

She was so successful that when Lee had trouble hitting a low C (2 octaves below middle C) in "Wandering Sign" from "Paint Your Wagon", Lucy's services were needed again.

By my calculation Carole dubbed for Lucy only 3 times: Gym Musical with Carol Burnett, Big Spender on the jack Benny special and a couple of lines in "Like Hep". All of these were broadcast in 1969.

• 4 months later...

Here is a great video of singing in the movies and who really was singing for the stars from old Hollywood through Glee. Lucy is shown for Fancy Pants. Jimmy's Lucille Ball FAQ book has a whole chapter on Lucy singing. It also lists the TV singing appearences too and when that may have been dubbed, usually by Carole Cook.

fascinating!

Interesting that singers who could sing were dubbed, particularly Harry Belafonte and Debbie Reynolds.

Even Juanita Hall who did the Broadway Bloody Mary is dubbed here, and nothing is gained because Hall's voice is fine for the character.

Susan Hayword must have had something of a voice because she did "Mame" on stage--as did, of course, Miss Lansbury.

I don't know that it's general known that Rita Hayworth's signature "Put the Blame On Mame" is actually another singer.

"Oliver"'s vocals: Where was Kathe Green 5 years later for Kirby Furlong?

Kate Smith was seriously considered for that part of Mother Superior in Sound of Music. Though I thought Peggy Wood was great (and a very good lipper), Kate would have knocked "Climb..." our of the convent. The producers decided that having Kate in the part would smack of stunt casting, but I wish they had.

Liz did her own singing for "Send in the Clowns" in the (disappointing) movie version of "A Little Night Music" prompting one reviewer to say "well, it's no chart-buster"

On a site similar to youtube, VIMEO there are a couple of recovered original vocals which are dubbed back into the move--- to which I say: WHY was dubbing necessary?

Joan Crawford and Ava Gardner do perfectly credible jobs.

Three of the most convincing dub-jobs of all time where the ghost singers replicated what the non-singer/actor's voice would sound like:

Christopher Plummer's Edelweis

Marni Nixon for Deborah Kerr in "King&I"

Lisa Kirk toning down her strong vocals just enough to replicate Rosalind Russell in Gypsy. She was so close that their two voices were combined in "Rose's Turn" and it's not jarring. One of my long list of regrets for Lucy's "Mame" is why they didn't try that with Lucy's vocals. The rumor was the Lisa was going to dub Lucy's singing which they probably would not gotten away with, but a note here and there would have gone unnoticed. This same vimeo poster who did the Crawford and Gardner clips did his own edit of "Some People" combining Roz and Lisa which works very well. On the CD release of the "Gypsy" soundtrack, Roz's original tracks are included and while dramatically she conveys the emotions, it's painfully obvious that this score was beyond her very limited vocal range.

Youtube is so great that we actually get to see these things, although I'm surprised the youtube police allow something like this, given their new copyright stance.

And for the record, I stand on my assertion that Carole Cook did Lucy's vocals a total of THREE times--all three aired in 1969, and only one of them was on Here's Lucy ("Carol Burnett/Gym") . It's been written that Carole did Lucy's vocals in the "Unemployment Follies" duets with Carol Burnett, but I for one am not convinced.

I'm going to re-read that section of "Senor Know-It-All"'s book to see his opinion of Lucy's vocals in "Dance Girl Dance" which I am convinced is Lucy herself---but it's been written other places that this is a ghost singer.

In "Fancy Pants", a couple of phrases are Lucy's voice, I think.

Here are the vimeo links to Crawford and Gardner: Enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/6280999

https://vimeo.com/14200351

and the Roz/Liza combo

https://vimeo.com/21051098

Don't you think this would have worked for "Mame"??

• 4 years later...

Another video of dubbing! I love these compilations.

The biggest surprise here for me is Tony Martin being dubbed. I wonder what the backstory is for that. Two other accomplished singers, Dennis Morgan and Patricia Morison, are also dubbed. Allan Jones had prerecorded the number in The Great Ziegfeld before Dennis Morgan was cast and the producers of Patricia Morison's film didn't even bother to ask if she could sing, so that explains them. Several of people featured would go on to have great success in musical theater, including three stars of Follies - Alexis Smith, Gene Nelson, and Yvonne DeCarlo.

• 11 months later...

Archived