HD "Lucy in London" (1966) Music Video

http://youtu.be/TxgCdxPD5cspurl

Presented here is my upscaled 1080p version of the famous "music video" sequence from the highly anticipated (and recently restored) "Lucy in London" prime-time TV special of 1966. Let's get this thing out there on Blu-Ray for corn sakes!

This particular clip serves as a capsule of mod fashion and culture and is one of the first TV "music videos." When Phil Spector heard Lucille Ball was filming a special in London, he volunteered to write, produce, record, and sing the title song himself.

International supermodel, Lesley Lawson (Twiggy), is seen here as an un-billed player at 1:55 (second from the left), again at 2:13 and 2:23; she skyrocketed to fame around the same time that this special aired. Guest-star Anthony Newley can be also seen briefly at the start of this clip. This number was choreographed by David Winters.

This is just a snippet of the extremely rare hour-long Lucille Ball special, aired only once in the midst of her highly rated weekly television series of the time, "The Lucy Show." The special chronicle's the adventures of Lucy Charmichael of "The Lucy Show," who won a trip to London for one day. "Lucy in London" served as a break from Ball's weekly television series was filmed completely on location in 1966 during a hiatus from "The Lucy Show."

Though it was critically panned upon its airing, "Lucy in London" is now seen as one of the most unique accomplishments of Lucille Ball's career. It stands out as something completely incomparable from anything else in which she ever acted.

Presented here is my upscaled 1080p version of the famous "music video" sequence from the highly anticipated (and recently restored) "Lucy in London" prime-time TV special of 1966. Let's get this thing out there on Blu-Ray for corn sakes!

This particular clip serves as a capsule of mod fashion and culture and is one of the first TV "music videos." When Phil Spector heard Lucille Ball was filming a special in London, he volunteered to write, produce, record, and sing the title song himself.

International supermodel, Lesley Lawson (Twiggy), is seen here as an un-billed player at 1:55 (second from the left), again at 2:13 and 2:23; she skyrocketed to fame around the same time that this special aired. Guest-star Anthony Newley can be also seen briefly at the start of this clip. This number was choreographed by David Winters.

This is just a snippet of the extremely rare hour-long Lucille Ball special, aired only once in the midst of her highly rated weekly television series of the time, "The Lucy Show." The special chronicle's the adventures of Lucy Charmichael of "The Lucy Show," who won a trip to London for one day. "Lucy in London" served as a break from Ball's weekly television series was filmed completely on location in 1966 during a hiatus from "The Lucy Show."

Though it was critically panned upon its airing, "Lucy in London" is now seen as one of the most unique accomplishments of Lucille Ball's career. It stands out as something completely incomparable from anything else in which she ever acted.

You do know you're "preaching to the choir" here?? peachonthebeach.JPG

You are so right and this post is one of the best i have ever read on this or any other board.

OMG that was so nice to see, until i finally get my copy of season five, just glorious to see as i had first seen it back in '66 but i think we were still two years away from getting a color set, so it's the first time i see it restored to it's original glory and in perfect vibrant colors. I had a washed out copy for decades but this is so much better. Lucy looks absolutely sensational and this is gonna look bad but i never even knew TWIGGY was an extra in that. Dontcha love the looks on the faces of the crowd, most don't care they're filming something with Lucy but others smile appropriately, i just love it and will be watching it for days. Thanks so much for posting this. I still hope to find out WHO YOU ARE by the way and i already have my suspicions, LOL!

OMG that was so nice to see, until i finally get my copy of season five, just glorious to see as i had first seen it back in '66 but i think we were still two years away from getting a color set, so it's the first time i see it restored to it's original glory and in perfect vibrant colors. I had a washed out copy for decades but this is so much better. Lucy looks absolutely sensational and this is gonna look bad but i never even knew TWIGGY was an extra in that. Dontcha love the looks on the faces of the crowd, most don't care they're filming something with Lucy but others smile appropriately, i just love it and will be watching it for days. Thanks so much for posting this. I still hope to find out WHO YOU ARE by the way and i already have my suspicions, LOL!

I found it particularly amusing to see Lucille Ball's bra so obvious in this restored version at about 1 min and 16 sec in, as well as the paper-like crunchy backgrounds used during those fashion shoot snippets. These are seemingly obvious to us now, but probably were ignored during the filming. Who would've guessed we'd be watching, analyzing/scrutinizing a once-aired TV special from 1966? It's simply incredible.

I still hope to find out WHO YOU ARE by the way and i already have my suspicions, LOL!

:lucie:

;):)

I found it particularly amusing to see Lucille Ball's bra so obvious in this restored version at about 1 min and 16 sec in, as well as the paper-like crunchy backgrounds used during those fashion shoot snippets. These are seemingly obvious to us now, but probably were ignored during the filming. Who would've guessed we'd be watching, analyzing/scrutinizing a once-aired TV special from 1966? It's simply incredible.

:lucie:

;):)

Elizabeth Edwards? The author of so many great Lucy books? And Lucie's former and maybe still helping hand?

I really don't feel appropriate in saying this, but I am none of the above.

It doesn't really matter, your posts are great and you seem like a very nice person, i'm just insanely curious like Lucy Ricardo . . . how about a friend of Lucy's or a former co worker on the set or . . .LOL!

I know, right? Don't mean to be gross but it must've been a chilly day that day while filming because it looked like Lucy was nippin' out. LOL. Betcha couldn't see that in 1966.

It's the ghost of Ethel Mertz. :lucydisgust:

Whoever it is, it seems like somebody who knows her well. I went back and yes, i too now see the BRA thing, had never noticed it before though. Did i mention that David UKLucyfan was there with Laura and they took pics of that building with the winding staircase and David used to have a tribute page to this special, maybe it's still there.

Whoever it is, it seems like somebody who knows her well. I went back and yes, i too now see the BRA thing, had never noticed it before though. Did i mention that David UKLucyfan was there with Laura and they took pics of that building with the winding staircase and David used to have a tribute page to this special, maybe it's still there.

Holy crap, it's Michael Stern. He probably has that very bra framed up in his house. :lucythrill:

I think I saw those pics. I was a bit jealous I have to say. lol

Also remember we are watching this stufff on our huge tv's. I have noticed so many details and things that probably were not seen back then. I'be been watching a lot of Lucy Shows this weekend and I'm seeing shiny heads and even sweat, not to mention some see through clothing.

Also remember we are watching this stufff on our huge tv's. I have noticed so many details and things that probably were not seen back then. I'be been watching a lot of Lucy Shows this weekend and I'm seeing shiny heads and even sweat, not to mention some see through clothing.

Yeah, that's what i keep telling people, millions watched them on black and white tiny little sets, and it's all new to them. Like that scene where you see Lucy smoking a cigarette on the sidelines in front of the living room set while Desi sings in that Vitameatavegamin show.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I was watching a "Here's Lucy" episode the other day and you can see the beads of sweat rolling down Gale's forehead. Poor dude almost looked like he was gonna stroke out.

Who could blame him?

He had read the script so he knew what was coming.

With stage directions like:

LUCY STICKS PICK AX UP HARRY'S ASS.

or

CHANDELIER FALLS ON HARRY

or

KIM OPENS DESK DRAWER AND HARRY HITS HIS HEAD

Archived