Emmy winning director John Rich dies at 86

Brock

John Rich, who directed Gale in Our Miss Brooks and Lucy on Make Room For Granddaddy, died this morning at the age of 86. :( He is perhaps best known as the Emmy winning director of The Dick Van Dyke Show and All In The Family.

From the Hollywood Reporter:

A pioneer in the early days of TV comedy, he also was a key figure in the history of the Directors Guild of America.

John Rich, a prolific television comedy director and a key figure in the history of the Directors Guild of America, died of heart failure Sunday morning in Los Angeles. He was 86.

our editor recommends

'All in the Family' scribe Mickey Ross dies

With DGA Win, 'The Artist' and Its Artist Look Virtually Unstoppable at Oscars (Analysis)

Directors Guild of America Awards 2012: Complete Winners List

Related Topics

•Obituaries

Rich, who began his career directing early 1950s sitcoms like I Married Joan, starring Joan Davis, and Our Miss Brooks, starring Eve Arden, went on to helm 81 episodes of All in the Family in the 1970s. He won two Emmys, one for directing and one for producing, on that series, plus a third Emmy for directing The Dick Van Dyke Show.

In addition to presenting him with a DGA Award for directing Family, the guild also honored him with its highest honor, the Robert B. Aldrich Achievement Award, in 1993 and recognized his contributions with an Honorary Life Member Award in 2003.

Calling Rich "a legendary figure in the history of TV comedy," DGA president Taylor Hackford said, "He directed some of the most beloved classics of all time and his skills as a television director were unsurpased, but no matter how busy and successful his career was, John always made time for the DGA."

More at the Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-rich-director-tv-show-all-family-dga-285515

Didn't he do a couple of Here's lucys?

There's a great interview with him on the TV academy website.

John Rich, who directed Gale in Our Miss Brooks and Lucy on Make Room For Granddaddy, died this morning at the age of 86. :( He is perhaps best known as the Emmy winning director of The Dick Van Dyke Show and All In The Family.

From the Hollywood Reporter:

More at the Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-rich-director-tv-show-all-family-dga-285515

:( The Dick Van Dyke Show group really loved him as a director. Evem after he stopped directing the show, he convinced Rose Marie to stay on the show after her husband died.

Didn't he do a couple of Here's lucys?

He never directed a Lucy episode. Another prolific TV director, Jay Sandrich, directed a couple of Here's Lucy episodes, though.

:( The Dick Van Dyke Show group really loved him as a director. Evem after he stopped directing the show, he convinced Rose Marie to stay on the show after her husband died.

He never directed a Lucy episode. Another prolific TV director, Jay Sandrich, directed a couple of Here's Lucy episodes, though.

Wasn't Jay the assistant director on I Love Lucy too? Nice way to start out.

Wasn't Jay the assistant director on I Love Lucy too? Nice way to start out.

Claude: Here's what I have:

Jay Sandrich 2/24/32 alive

Jay Sandrich, Assistant Director, 14 episodes (“I Love Lucy”), 1957 Season; Assistant Director, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour “Milton Berle Hides at the Ricardos”, 1959; Assistant Director, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Make Room for Daddy, 2 episodes, 1960; Desilu Productions', The Untouchables “The Nick Acropolis Story”, Assistant Director, 1961; (“Here’s Lucy”) “Lucy and Carol Burnett, Part 2”, Director, 1970; guest, TV Land Moguls, achival footage of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, 2004, as well as with Lucille and Desi, archivally, Make 'Em Laugh: The Funny Business of America “Honey, I'm Home: Breadwinners & Homemakers”, 2009; is born this date in 1932.

Here's what I have: b. 7/6/25 - d. 1/29/12

John Rich, 78-film Director; Desilu Productions', Our Miss Brooks, 27 episodes, 1955-56; Emmy-Award winner, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Dick Van Dyke Show, 1961, 41 episodes, 1961-66; as well as director, Lucille Ball-starring, Make Room for Granddaddy, “Lucy Carter, Houseguest”, 1971; is born this date in 1925.

Here's what I have: b. 7/6/25 - d. 1/29/12

John Rich, 78-film Director; Desilu Productions', Our Miss Brooks, 27 episodes, 1955-56; Emmy-Award winner, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Dick Van Dyke Show, 1961, 41 episodes, 1961-66; as well as director, Lucille Ball-starring, Make Room for Granddaddy, “Lucy Carter, Houseguest”, 1971; is born this date in 1925.

Is he the father of Adam Rich from Eight Is Enough, by chance?

Archived