Whitney Houston dies at 48

Brock

Terrible news. :(

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Whitney Houston, who ruled as pop music's queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, erratic behavior and a tumultuous marriage to singer Bobby Brown, has died. She was 48.

Houston's publicist, Kristen Foster, said Saturday that the singer had died, but the cause and the location of her death were unknown.

News of Houston's death came on the eve of music's biggest night — the Grammy Awards. It's a showcase where she once reigned, and her death was sure to cast a heavy pall on Sunday's ceremony. Houston's longtime mentor Clive Davis was to hold his annual concert and dinner Saturday; it was unclear if it was going to go forward.

At her peak, Houston the golden girl of the music industry. From the middle 1980s to the late 1990s, she was one of the world's best-selling artists. She wowed audiences with effortless, powerful and peerless vocals that were rooted in the black church but made palatable to the masses with a pop sheen.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/whitney-houston-superstar-records-films-dies-005927033.html;_ylt=ArSBUY4FzCJUPSTy9Jx4d5.s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNtNnE3Y2xjBG1pdANKdW1ib3Ryb24gRlAEcGtnAzQ0MWU2YjliLTQxNGQtM2ZhZS04YzRhLWNlM2MxYjM4ZTFjZARwb3MDMQRzZWMDanVtYm90cm9uBHZlcgM5YWEzMGZiYy01NTE4LTExZTEtODlkZS1hMzMwMDdjY2U5NzY-;_ylg=X3oDMTFvdnRqYzJoBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

Dammit, another singer I grew up listening to is dead. If Madonna goes next, I don't know what I'll do. :wacko::mellow:

RIP, Miss Houston.

I i i i i will always love her, that song from The Bodyguard was a favorite for a long time. Guess the ticker couldn't take all that drug use over decades, such a shame, so young, they don't know where it happened huh, i suppose some crack den somewhere seedy, so tragic for a talent like hers. :lucyblah:

I i i i i will always love her, that song from The Bodyguard was a favorite for a long time. Guess the ticker couldn't take all that drug use over decades, such a shame, so young, they don't know where it happened huh, i suppose some crack den somewhere seedy, so tragic for a talent like hers. :lucyblah:

I have MSNBC on in the background and they said she died at the Beverly Hilton.

I have MSNBC on in the background and they said she died at the Beverly Hilton.

Yes, her bodyguard found her there and she was pronounced dead this afternoon. They say no foul play evident and no drugs were found at the scene. I'm guessing a heart attack from all the drugs over the years.

I cried too. My childhood is disappearing.

Why did it take so long to find out where it happened? Or is this just a cover for the story? Didn't we see her recently in something or on something? And she looked ok.

They said pretty much right away where it happened. They haven't stated the cause yet, I spose they have to wait for the autopsy.

I saw pics on TMZ from Thursday night and she looked okay. Maybe a little tired, but not gaunt or anything.

I am totally shocked. I was glancing over the lead stories on my home web page and it said we will always remember her voice. I thought to myself what do you mean by "remember"? My first response after that was "oh my, did she die?" I am really having a hard time absorbing this, just for the sudden shock of it. It is really sad because she was still young and her career had just been revived in the last two years after her years of drug abuse. The autopsy report will give us more answers why this happened. :(

I am totally shocked. I was glancing over the lead stories on my home web page and it said we will always remember her voice. I thought to myself what do you mean by "remember"? My first response after that was "oh my, did she die?" I am really having a hard time absorbing this, just for the sudden shock of it. It is really sad because she was still young and her career had just been revived in the last two years after her years of drug abuse. The autopsy report will give us more answers why this happened. :(

I know what you mean, Teri! I, too, am shocked and feel like I'm still processing everything. She was so beautiful and so tremendously talented. :( :( :( :( :(

I know what you mean, Teri! I, too, am shocked and feel like I'm still processing everything. She was so beautiful and so tremendously talented. :( :( :( :( :(

TMZ is now saying she was found in the bathtub with her face underwater, so it looks like a possible accidental drowning. :wacko:

TMZ is now saying she was found in the bathtub with her face underwater, so it looks like a possible accidental drowning. :wacko:

:obrien::blink: But she must have passed out or had some sort of attack beforehand? I know it's possible to drown in only inches of water, but how do you consciously drown in your bathtub? Unless it was a suicide, which would be really sad.

:obrien::blink: But she must have passed out or had some sort of attack beforehand? I know it's possible to drown in only inches of water, but how do you consciously drown in your bathtub? Unless it was a suicide, which would be really sad.

Well, also according to TMZ, they were told that people around Whitney said she took Xanax before a show to relax her but they didn't know if she took any yesterday (she was to perform at Clive Davis' party last night). She was also drinking heavily Friday night and the combination of Xanax and alcohol can sedate you.

Anyone else find it disturbing that while Whitney's body still lay upstairs in the hotel room, downstairs Clive Davis' pre-Grammy party was going ahead full swing? I saw a clip of the coroner getting interviewed at the hotel and the music was pumping in the background. It's crazy. Why you'd be in a partying mood after one of the major performers who was to attend the party is lying dead upstairs, I'll never know. Hollyweird!

Anyone else find it disturbing that while Whitney's body still lay upstairs in the hotel room, downstairs Clive Davis' pre-Grammy party was going ahead full swing? I saw a clip of the coroner getting interviewed at the hotel and the music was pumping in the background. It's crazy. Why you'd be in a partying mood after one of the major performers who was to attend the party is lying dead upstairs, I'll never know. Hollyweird!

I heard today on "Good Morning America" from a past bodyguard who said that the new bodyguard team didn't monitor every few minutes if Whitney Houston was alright while she was taking her bath. This same bodyguard also stated that they would advise Whitney to take showers rather than baths to protect her from any incidents of drowning after partying with drinks or whatever else. It wasn't her security that found her drowned in the tub but a family memeber and it was that family member that attempted to revive her. The initial reports stated that the bodyguard found her and did first aid. I predicting a lawsuit against her security personel.

I heard today on "Good Morning America" from a past bodyguard who said that the new bodyguard team didn't monitor every few minutes if Whitney Houston was alright while she was taking her bath. This same bodyguard also stated that they would advise Whitney to take showers rather than baths to protect her from any incidents of drowning after partying with drinks or whatever else. It wasn't her security that found her drowned in the tub but a family memeber and it was that family member that attempted to revive her. The initial reports stated that the bodyguard found her and did first aid. I predicting a lawsuit against her security personel.

Well I hope not, that lawsuit would be frivolous. She had apparently been drinking heavily the night before, plus 1-2 days before that. She had Heineken and champagne for dinner, then took off to the bath with a Xanax. They are now saying she didn't drown (didn't have enough water in her lungs) but probably had a heart attack from the Xanax/alcohol combination.

YOU know something?? I don't care! As far as I am concerned Whitney died years ago... I used to just love her.. in fact the very first concert I went to was a Whitney Huston concert where her song "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" was a big moment. She has fallen out of favor with me and I am sorry to say.. I really don't care... now when Miss Ball died... I had to take off work!

It's sad when these big entertainers can't handle their stardom or crumble under so much pressure by using drugs and alcohol. In fact it happens to ordinary people too. It even happened to Desi Jr. Thankfully he got clean before he ended up dead.

I agree. Whitney herself said once in an interview she was her own worst enemy. I know it was ultimately her decision to waste her extraordinary talent and years of her life on drugs, but I still feel sorry for her and am very sad that she's dead.

Clive said she would have wanted the party to go on anyway, are you telling me the Grammys should have been delayed also while you're at it? They've delayed the Oscars and Emmys for a few world shaking events, as sad as this is, it's not the end of the world, life goes on for those not drug addled.

Archived