Lucille Ball at the UCLA Archives

I was curious what the UCLA Film & Television Archives had on file for Lucille Ball. A simple keyword search turned up over 400 results of many very rare television programs, newsreels, audio recordings, and film clips. Here are a few interesting entries from their catalog.

(As a side-note, it's too bad we can't actually see these. Nearly all Lucy-related entires are preserved on non-circulating archival tapes or films reels meant for preservation and research. Reading some of these entries makes me regret turning down my undergraduate admission into UCLA!).

The best of Three’s company--rehearsal footage with Lucille Ball (3/4 in. videocassette, 1982)

["How the West was won" premiere--Los Angeles, California. Hearst vault material, HVMc6497r13, 221963].

[1963-02-21] - 28-minute videocassette -- includes close-up shot of Lucille Ball and Gary Morton out of car

[Lucille Ball--Desi Arnaz. Hearst vault material [1956-02-06]

Shot description: Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz meet most unselfish woman of year. :lucyshock: Judges seated. Fannie Hurst. Grover Whalen. Paula Stone. Group of women enter. Winner (Hearst index card).

(Newsreels Collection) VHS, 3 min, 30 seconds

[birmingham General Hospital--Van Nuys, California. Hearst vault material]

[1944-03]

Summary: "Newest in army hospitals officially opened by Lucille Ball; MGM star who is on hand to greet the first South Pacific casualties"--Hearst index card. Includes footage of wounded U.S. troops, autograph.

[President Roosevelt receives a check for 240,000 dollars from motion picture industry for National Infantile Paralysis Fund--White House, Washington, D.C. Hearst vault material,

[1944-01-30]

Shot description: Basil O’Connor, Mr. Rathman, President RKO, President Roosevelt, Joan Fontaine, Lady Hardwicke, Roland Young and Brian Ahearne. Red Skelton and Lucille Ball. Various other scenes, stars and Mrs. Roosevelt. Mrs. Roosevelt and Lucille Ball (Hearst index card). (26-minute videocassette)

[Movie stars of MGM develop war gardens to aid war effort, Culver City, Chatsworth, Hollywood, California. Hearst vault material, HVMc1764r3, 50290].

[1943-04-08 and 04-09]

Shot description: Lucille Ball works in her garden at Chatsworth.

[Home movies. Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. Culver City celebration. Travels].

[between 1959 and 1960]

Date supplied based on the fact that Ben Hur is being promoted at MGM.

Summary: Reel begins with a Culver City celebration at which Lucy and Desi are appointed honorary mayors of Culver City. Next are home movies of the family at Las Vegas, then at a Western ghost town for tourists (possibly Calico), then on the MGM lot and back lot, taking a bus tour, then at Marineland, and finally at Death Valley.

[Thalian Ball, 1974--Mrs. Wonderful, Lucille Ball] / a presentation of the Thalians and the Loyola Marymount Communication Arts Dept. ; executive producer, Bernard Abbene ; producer, Ridley Williams.

Cast: Ruta Lee, Eve Arden, Sammy Davis, Jr., Steve Allen, Jayne Meadows, Andy Williams, Carol Burnett, Desi Arnaz, Jr., Mayor Tom Bradley.

Not broadcast.

Summary: Thalian Ball held at the Century Plaza Hotel in Los Angeles. Lucille Ball receives the organization’s "Mrs. Wonderful" award.

[Victory gardens, Washington, D.C. Hearst vault material, HVMc1788r5, 50674].

[1943-07]

Shot description: Mr. and Mrs. Hopkins and Diana walking toward camera. White House lawn. Mr. and Mrs. Hopkins and Diana (closeup). Penthouse victory gardens on rooftops showing children working on gardens. Scenes of Lucille Ball, Fay Holden and Jackie Jenkins working on their victory gardens (Hearst index card).

[Mame (1974)--interview. Lucille Ball and Navarro].

[1000 ft of 16mm film reel]

[National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. 1969-10-25, Salute to Lucille Ball].

[1969-10-25] [sound tape reel]

Zsa Zsa Gabor show (Television program : 1969). 1969, unidentified issue.

The Zsa Zsa Gabor show. [1969, unidentified issue] / a Winters-Rosen production in association with Chris-Craft Stations ; producer, Harry Koplan ; director, Ozzie Knudson.

Host: Zsa Zsa Gabor. Guests: Lucille Ball, Adam West, Marty Allen, Steve Logan. Announcer: Bob Warren.

Credits: Music director, Don Randi, the Don Randi Orchestra.

Talk show.

Broadcast on KCOP-TV, Los Angeles.

Record date: February 16, 1969.

["How the West was won" premiere--Los Angeles, California. Hearst vault material, HVMc6497r13, 221963].

[1963-02-21]

Unedited newsreel footage.

Shot description: Red Buttons being interviewed -- Rosalind Russell (close-up) -- Russ Tamblyn and wife (close-up) -- Natalie Wood and Warren Beatty (close-up) -- Mary Pickford with Buddy Rogers (close-up) -- Zsa Zsa Gabor (close-up) -- Ann Miller (close-up) -- Ronald Reagan and wife out of car -- Same (close-up) -- Jane Powell (close-up) -- Movie poster -- Walter Brennan and wife (close-up) -- Karl Malden being interviewed (close-up) -- Debbie Reynolds and husband Harry Karl (close-up) -- Photographers -- Lucille Ball and Gary Morton out of car (close-up) -- Carroll Baker out of car -- Andy Devine and wife (close-up) -- George Peppard (close-up) -- Lee J. Cobb with hat on (close-up) -- Jimmy Stewart and wife (close-up) -- Loretta Young (close-up) -- Irene Dunne with companion (close-up) -- Warner Theater, crowds, searchlights (various shots) -- Searchlight (close-up) -- Crowds cheering (close-ups) -- Marquee How the West was won (close-up) -- Crowds cheering.

News of the day. [Vol. 24, no. 284--excerpt. Lucy is back in the movies--Culver City, California].

United States : A Metro-Goldwyn Mayer release, [1953-06-16]

Summary: "Lucille Ball, the nation’s number one comedienne, and husband Desi Arnaz, sign a new long term contract with M-G-M and is welcomed back to her old ’lot’ where she will star in ’The Long, Long Trailer’"--Hearst index card.

Shot description: Lucy, Desi and Mannix in front of trailer (long shot). Lucy and Desi sign M-G-M contract (closeup). Same (semi). Ball ready to break bottle, Desi counts (long shot). Ball breaks bottle (closer) Dining (long shot). Ball eating (closeup). Ball and group eating (long shot). Trailer pulls away (long shot). Lucy and Desi wave (long shot, same). Desi kisses Lucy, waves (Hearst index card).

All star party for Carol Burnett / a Paul W. Keyes production ; producer, Paul W. Keyes ; director, Dick McDonough ; writer, Paul W. Keyes.

[1982-12-05]

Host: Burt Reynolds.

Reminiscences and tributes from Lucille Ball,

Carol Burnett show (1967-1979). 1968-11-04.

The Carol Burnett show. [1968-11-04] / CBS.

[1968-11-04]

Host: Carol Burnett. Regulars: Vicki Lawrence, the Ernest Flatt Dancers. Guests: Lucille Ball, Eddie Albert, Nancy Wilson.

Comedy variety program.

Record date: October 25, 1968.

60 minute VHS print

Carol Burnett show (1967-1979). 1970-10-19.

The Carol Burnett show. [1970-10-19] / CBS.

[1970-10-19]

Host: Carol Burnett. Regulars: Vicki Lawrence, the Ernest Flatt Dancers. Guests: Lucille Ball, Mel Torme.

Comedy variety program.

Record date: October 9, 1970.

Production no. 409.

The Carol Burnett show. [1967-10-02] / a Burngood-Bob Banner Associates production ; producer, Joe Hamilton ; director, Clark Jones ; writers, Arnie Rosen, Stan Burns, Mike Marmer, Don Hinkley, Saul Turteltaub, Kenny Solms, Gail Parent, Buzz Kohan, Bill Angelos.

[1967-10-02]

Cast: Carol Burnett, Lucille Ball, Tim Conway, Gloria Loring, Harvey Korman, Lyle Waggoner, Vicki Lawrence.

Credits: Editor, Buzz Felty; music, Harry Zimmerman.

Includes the following segments: Carol Burnett answers questions from the audience; Carol, Lucille Ball and Harvey Korman perform Cafe Argentine skit; Carol performs a pantomime about kitchen commercials; Carol, Vicki Lawrence and dancers perform I dig rock and roll music; Tim Conway does a newscaster spot; Carol, Lucy and Lyle Waggoner talk about how we’ve been rehearsing this kiss all week; Carol, Lucy, Tim, Vikki Duggan perform Rent A Car skit; Gloria Loring sings Goin’ out of my head and Try to remember; Carol and Harvey perform Superguy skit (taped August 26); Carol, Lucy, dancers perform See what the boys in the back room will have.

Broadcast on CBS.

Record date: September 23, 1967.

Show no. 4; production no. 006.

Commercials: Libby’s Foods.

The Dean Martin show. [1966-02-10].

[1966-02-10]

Version: [syndicated version of show originally broadcast February 10, 1966; syndicated broadcast date(s) unknown].

Guests: Rowan & Martin, Kate Smith, Bill Cosby, Lucille Ball, Big Tiny Little.

The Dean Martin show. [1972-11-30].

[1972-11-30 (10 PM PST)]

Comedy variety program.

Originally broadcast on NBC.

Show no. 812.

Summary: "Steve Lawrence and Charles Nelson Reilly are the guests. Comedy: a look at marriage in the year 2000. Also: film clips from MGM’s The Ziegfeld Follies (1944) [i.e., 1946], featuring Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Lena Horne, Lucille Ball, Esther Williams and Lucille Bremer. Rodney Dangerfield, Kay Medford, Dom DeLuise, Nipsey Russell and Lou Jacobi. Highlights: Arrivederci Roma--Dean; I’ve got to be me--Steve; the Ziegfeld Follies finale--all; Swing medley--Dean, Steve; I’m sitting on top of the world--Dean, Ding-a-Lings"--TV guide, November 30, 1972.

The Dean Martin show. [1973-03-15].

[1973-03-15 (10 PM PST)]

Originally broadcast on NBC.

Show no. 806.

Record date: October 13, 1972. Dub date: March 15, 1973.

Summary: "Joseph Campanella, Laugh-in’s Ruth Buzzi and Dean’s daughter Gail Martin are the guests. For comedy: frumpy Gladys Ormphby (Ruth) accuses Dean of attacking her in a dark alley; and Joe joins in a barbershop routine on crime in the streets. Also: film clips from MGM’s Best foot forward (1943), featuring Lucille Ball, June Allyson, Gloria DeHaven, Harry James, Nancy Walker, William Gaxton. Dom DeLuise, Nipsey Russell, Rodney Dangerfield, Kay Medford. Highlights: Pardon--Dean; Too marvelous for words--Dean, Joe, Ruth; Best foot forward finale--all"--TV guide, March 15, 1973.

At the end of her life she did a lot of that, pruning bushes and taking off dead leaves on plants and such, at 6 am before anybody else got up, so sad.

That is very sad, but it also sounds like something that may've been printed in a LUCY: BROKE & NEAR DEATH issue of the National Enquirer with an ugly close-up paparazzi shot of Ms. Ball looking very distressed as the cover pic.

Where did you hear this, Claude, and do you really believe it?

What I want to know is what is so sad about pruning hedges and deadheading the rose bushes. I mean, somebody has to do it, and she was an early bird. LOL

That's true but I guess what they want to intimate is that she was going a little cuckoo if she was up and out at that hour, doing something "beneath" the First Lady of Television in her golden years, particularly when they had gardeners that should have been doing the job for her! lucyhorror.JPG

That's true but I guess what they want to intimate is that she was going a little cuckoo if she was up and out at that hour, doing something "beneath" the First Lady of Television in her golden years, particularly when they had gardeners that should have been doing the job for her! lucyhorror.JPG

It's been in a few books about Lucy gardening in the wee hours of the morning. More than likely her insomnia was a symptom of depression and boredom with her life at that point. She had to find something to do to waste time while she waited for everyone else to get up for the day. Lucy used to clean maniacally too when she was bored or depressed.

Lucy herself said she loved to garden, so why shouldn't she have been out there doing that stuff? And there's nothing wrong with being up at 6am. I myself am an early bird. It's the best time of the day! :peachonthebeach:

Lucy herself said she loved to garden, so why shouldn't she have been out there doing that stuff?

Seriously! I don't get it. Plus, if there was some stuff to do in the front garden, tour buses were less likely to cruise by at 6 a.m. ;)

Some people are more productive early in the morning. Personally, I do my best work after midnight. :lucysmirk:

That is very sad, but it also sounds like something that may've been printed in a LUCY: BROKE & NEAR DEATH issue of the National Enquirer with an ugly close-up paparazzi shot of Ms. Ball looking very distressed as the cover pic.

Where did you hear this, Claude, and do you really believe it?

It was in more than one book, don't you people read? I would NEVER quote anything about her from The Enquirer, i stopped reading and buying that rag when mom passed away, bought it for her as she loved it.

OMG where is YOUR BRAIN? She couldn't sleep so she'd get up, take the dog with her and go prune things in the garden till everybody got up. WHAT THE HELL IS SO WRONG WITH THAT?????

Lucy herself said she loved to garden, so why shouldn't she have been out there doing that stuff? And there's nothing wrong with being up at 6am. I myself am an early bird. It's the best time of the day! :peachonthebeach:

ME, TOO; best time of day; at the beach, I ALWAYS watched the sun come up - unless, of course, a rainy day; but, as everyone knows, it never rains at the beach! Still up at at 'em early; retire early, as well; get some reading done; another favorite thing of mine....

At the end of her life she did a lot of that, pruning bushes and taking off dead leaves on plants and such, at 6 am before anybody else got up, so sad.

Maybe an LA bank secretary and her visiting friend would come upon her after their Studebaker broke down, assume she was broke and reduced to gardening work and write a show just for her that would have offers pouring in--assuming it wasn't necessary to cut her dance number, that is.

And by the way, I don't see anything sad about it really.

Maybe an LA bank secretary and her visiting friend would come upon her after their Studebaker broke down, assume she was broke and reduced to gardening work and write a show just for her that would have offers pouring in--assuming it wasn't necessary to cut her dance number, that is.

And by the way, I don't see anything sad about it really.

I meant that she lived to W O R K and she was up as if going to the studio early like the old days, could not sleep and had nothing better to do. Like Carole said, she should have travelled the world, or kept busy with more charity work, anything but this or playing those stupid bard games.

Archived