Differences in FANS

Definitely! It's wonderful that Lucy still has such a large fan base, whether it be for her television work, her movie work, or who she was as a person. I always like to tell people that first and foremost I am a Lucille Ball fan, not just a Lucy Ricardo fan. :peachonthebeach:

Agreed. I watched Lucy Ricardo cavort on TV when I was young, but didn't give Lucy the person much thought until I was older & began reading books about her. That's when I grew to admire how much she had accomplished in her life & work. I've only seen a handful of her movies, but what I have seen so far is impressive. She played sassy/sarcastic really well, & held her own even in small parts.

Lucy Ricardo will always be my favorite, though :) .

Agreed. I watched Lucy Ricardo cavort on TV when I was young, but didn't give Lucy the person much thought until I was older & began reading books about her. That's when I grew to admire how much she had accomplished in her life & work. I've only seen a handful of her movies, but what I have seen so far is impressive. She played sassy/sarcastic really well, & held her own even in small parts.

Lucy Ricardo will always be my favorite, though :) .

This is MY feeling, if I may: Jess Oppenheimer 'created' Lucy Ricardo; Lucille Ball INVENTED her!!!! Somewhere in between life and 'liberty', tragically, 'Lucille' got 'lost' along the way just a little; forever to be 'Lucy'

It's a little bit like one of her 'heroes', Harpo Marx, trying to be like Clark Gable!!!!'

I'll confess, the more I read and learn about Lucille Ball, the more of a Lucille Ball fan I am . . . . beauty, generosity, immense talent,'entrepreneurship',

friend-forever, realist, and feminist to the 'nth' degree, since childhood...probably!

I hope there is some agreement with me here.... JK

I think if there wasn't "I Love Lucy", I wouldn't be a fan. Everything spans from that masterpiece of hers. This is the starting point in appreciating all the other vehicles she has done. Film noir: "Lured" and "Dark Corner". Television series: "The Lucy Show" and Here's Lucy". Film comedies or films with comedy included: "The Long, Long Trailer","Without Love" and "Yours, Mine, And Ours". Films with drama: "The Big Street" and "Five Came Back". Musical: "Mame".

I think if there wasn't "I Love Lucy", I wouldn't be a fan. Everything spans from that masterpiece of hers.

Very valid comment and observation and true I believe, for most of us here, at least most of us who've been fans ever since we can remember. While I was much too little to remember, I'm told my first exposure to LB was watching her on a "blonde" vertical television very much like the Ricardos....which (I think) were at that time, afternoon showings of "ILL"; my first distinct memories though are of the hour-long episodes shown in the summer time, particularly for some reason the "Vegas" episode and the scenes outdoors of the car chase -- perhaps because it was unusual at that point to see Lucy & Ricky & Fred & Ethel out of doors and actually riding in cars and trucks!

It's hard to believe that soon we'll have at our fingertips every single regular series episode she produced that we can watch anytime, almost anywhere we want! Who would have ever dreamed? And I'd love to know what Lucy and Desi would think about this....

:D

Well said, JK :) (And yes, thank goodness for Jess!) . I agree with Mona, too, though -- if I had not enjoyed I Love Lucy so much when I was younger, I wouldn't have been interested enough in Lucy to start reading books about her, which is how I grew to admire her beyond I Love Lucy.

Shhhhh, Joey, don't "yinx" it :marionstrong: ! I'll let out a sigh of relief when I am actually holding Season 6 of each series in my hands :lucythrill: . Then on to Life With Lucy! :hlLOL:

I am a diehard LUCILLE BALL fan.. I find her infinately fascinating... I find other actresses from her era interesting also, but I always come back to Miss Ball. Many of her later shows and some of her movies I probably wouldn't sit through or own if I didn't like the actress as much as I do. I like the fact that while her contemporaries were movie stars, she became a television star and none of her contermporaries (while at the time well known) are as well known as she still is... so really she got the last laugh. The whole story of how I Love Lucy came to be.. mainly because she wanted a happy marriage... is interesting to me.. she didn't set out to star in a tv show that would never go off the air, she just wanted to keep an eye on Desi.. I have to say.. I am never bored with Lucille, I may get annoyed with her at times, but I don't think I will ever tire of her or loose any interest in her. She keeps fascinating me over and over.

Archived