60s Opening credits montage

And TWO "Created by Jess Oppenheimer"

This montage is not one of my homemade productions.

0:00: Could they have picked a homelier infant? Is this Clint "Ugmo" Howard?

1:44 and 3:58 How many other studios placed their name and logo so prominently within the opening credits? BEFORE the cast in announced? Both in the same year. Both lasted a full season. Both on ABC.

6:55 These are the WORST theme song lyrics I've ever heard.

8:47 Brock and his two brothers starring in........

9:15 Calling something "The NEW (insert star of past hit) Show" was always a curse.

10:27 I think this is the only Desilu sitcom that was cancelled mid-season if you don't count "Fair Exchange" (credits 9:52) which came back briefly. The premise was the star as a mystery writer who was always bugging her policeman-husband to let her in on cases. Not surprising considering who gets "Created by" credit. I've love to see some episodes of this. My memory: I LOVED it but probably saw it when it returned the next season as a summer replacement. The critics seemed to hate it but it was a sitcom with a difference: there was always a little mystery and danger involved.

11:25 I have no memory of this opening sequence, but based on her previous series I'm sure I would have tuned in for the premiere with giddy anticipation (though with a 9:30 start time it was probably past my school night bedtime). With the 2 hit comedy shows as lead-ins ("Beverly Hillbillies" and "Dick Van Dyke"), how could it fail? I have not been able to find any episodes of it.

Neil, for some reason the sitcom opening video cannot be linked here. It goes to the next video in the playlist. I just tried to post it too and it won't work. The sitcom openings you were commenting on immediately precedes the video you posted in the playlist. Both compliliations are very enjoyable.

Thanks for sharing this with us! I've never heard of "Holiday Lodge" or the what seems to be incredibly annoying "McKeever and the Colonel."

Neil, for some reason the sitcom opening video cannot be linked here. It goes to the next video in the playlist. I just tried to post it too and it won't work. The sitcom openings you were commenting on immediately precedes the video you posted in the playlist. Both compliliations are very enjoyable.

Thanks for sharing this with us! I've never heard of "Holiday Lodge" or the what seems to be incredibly annoying "McKeever and the Colonel."

I tried cut and pasting the URL again and it came up the same. Not sure why. For those interested it's on youtube as

28 TV Intros - Vintage 1960-65 sitcoms

"The Tom Ewell Show" was a Bob and Madelyn creation loosely based on Madelyn's family: a father and a bunch of women. I've never seen it but it does have Mabel Albertson so it can't be bad. Don't know if it was a Desilu Production but you'd think Desi would have put them under contract. Also don't know if "Angel" was a Desilu. I think Jess owned most of it.

By 1960 there were very few sitcoms filmed in front of an audience. If "Angel" is actually in front of an audience they weren't reacting much because the laughter is obviously fake or sweetened. I think she's too hard to understand---like she's got a mouth full of Crepe Suzette! Those single-cam sitcoms have not aged well mainly because of their lack of spontaneity and the over-active laugh track.

I tried cut and pasting the URL again and it came up the same. Not sure why. For those interested it's on youtube as

28 TV Intros - Vintage 1960-65 sitcoms

"The Tom Ewell Show" was a Bob and Madelyn creation loosely based on Madelyn's family: a father and a bunch of women. I've never seen it but it does have Mabel Albertson so it can't be bad. Don't know if it was a Desilu Production but you'd think Desi would have put them under contract. Also don't know if "Angel" was a Desilu. I think Jess owned most of it.

By 1960 there were very few sitcoms filmed in front of an audience. If "Angel" is actually in front of an audience they weren't reacting much because the laughter is obviously fake or sweetened. I think she's too hard to understand---like she's got a mouth full of Crepe Suzette! Those single-cam sitcoms have not aged well mainly because of their lack of spontaneity and the over-active laugh track.

"Angel" was filmed at Desilu, but not produced by them. Doris Singleton says "Angel" failed because people couldn't understand Annie Farge. I don't think "The Tom Ewell Show" was filmed at Desilu. It was produced by Four Star and by Tom Ewell/Bob & Madelyn partnership. Tom Ewell did two pilots for Desilu that did not sell.

And TWO "Created by Jess Oppenheimer"

This montage is not one of my homemade productions.

0:00: Could they have picked a homelier infant? Is this Clint "Ugmo" Howard?

1:44 and 3:58 How many other studios placed their name and logo so prominently within the opening credits? BEFORE the cast in announced? Both in the same year. Both lasted a full season. Both on ABC.

6:55 These are the WORST theme song lyrics I've ever heard.

8:47 Brock and his two brothers starring in........

9:15 Calling something "The NEW (insert star of past hit) Show" was always a curse.

10:27 I think this is the only Desilu sitcom that was cancelled mid-season if you don't count "Fair Exchange" (credits 9:52) which came back briefly. The premise was the star as a mystery writer who was always bugging her policeman-husband to let her in on cases. Not surprising considering who gets "Created by" credit. I've love to see some episodes of this. My memory: I LOVED it but probably saw it when it returned the next season as a summer replacement. The critics seemed to hate it but it was a sitcom with a difference: there was always a little mystery and danger involved.

11:25 I have no memory of this opening sequence, but based on her previous series I'm sure I would have tuned in for the premiere with giddy anticipation (though with a 9:30 start time it was probably past my school night bedtime). With the 2 hit comedy shows as lead-ins ("Beverly Hillbillies" and "Dick Van Dyke"), how could it fail? I have not been able to find any episodes of it.

Neil: Can't tell you how much I appreciate the time it must have taken you to do this; what a walk down 'memory lane' - I do believe I was in love with most of those guys in my teen years! Thanks for doing it....loving you, JK

Archived